Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So if you know you're a terrible employee, bribe your coworkers with food to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

nm posted:

Best.employee.ever.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Hey if you're coming to NEAI. Post in the thread I just made. I have to start making preparations. Like beer. Lots of beers.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I need to have some sense talked into me.

I'm looking at getting this Cobalt: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5572693378.html

It's pretty lowish miles, looks like a clean car, and it's about $500-$1000 cheaper than anything else I found. I got the VIN from the guy selling it and did a carproof (Canadian Carfax). The Carproof told me it was registered in Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta before coming to BC. So I would be the 5th owner of this thing. Also when it was in Quebec it had $1100 in roof damage done to it (most likely hail). It has two service records; one in Alberta at 102,000km and one here in BC at 140,000km.

I shouldn't get this car right? The thing is it looks pretty clean (though I didn't check underneath, and if it was in Quebec and Ontario it very likely has salt rust on it), but more than that it's sooooo cheap.

What do I do AI?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

I need to have some sense talked into me.

I'm looking at getting this Cobalt: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5572693378.html

It's pretty lowish miles, looks like a clean car, and it's about $500-$1000 cheaper than anything else I found. I got the VIN from the guy selling it and did a carproof (Canadian Carfax). The Carproof told me it was registered in Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta before coming to BC. So I would be the 5th owner of this thing. Also when it was in Quebec it had $1100 in roof damage done to it (most likely hail). It has two service records; one in Alberta at 102,000km and one here in BC at 140,000km.

I shouldn't get this car right? The thing is it looks pretty clean (though I didn't check underneath, and if it was in Quebec and Ontario it very likely has salt rust on it), but more than that it's sooooo cheap.

What do I do AI?

don't buy it

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Oh dear god you dont want that thing loving Christ. It's a J-Body, nearly a decade after they were relevant if they ever were!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

if it was a manual i would say okay yeah go for it but that car will be the absolute worst

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Lol don't buy that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I took my driving test in a cobalt and even then with my only other reference point being a 1989 Ford Taurus I remember thinking the Cobalt wasn't very good.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I am looking for cheap, reliable transportation. Nothing more. I literally do not care about anything other than "It will take me to school and back everyday mostly problem free" and "it was less than $4000" My only other decent options are a 2001 Beige Honda Civic* with 78,000km and a rebuild title for $2500 more or a grey 2000 Toyota Corolla with 178,000km also with a rebuild title for $1500 more.

*2001 Civics are the most recalled car ever. Most suffer transmission death soon after cracking 100K.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 20, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Even if it was an SS-Turbo model (which did and might still hold the Nurburgring lap record for a production FWD car) I'd still be on the fence.

Don't get a Cobalt.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I mean then I guess it's a good deal for you but automatic deltas are really painful to drive

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

I am looking for cheap, reliable transportation. Nothing more. I literally do not care about anything other than "It will take me to school and back everyday mostly problem free" and "it was less than $4000" My only other decent options are a 2001 Beige Honda Civic* with 78,000km and a rebuild title for $2500 more or a grey 2000 Toyota Corolla with 178,000km also with a rebuild title for $1500 more.

*2001 Civics are the most recalled car ever. Most suffer transmission death soon after cracking 100K.
You can check the "reliable" box for fewer than even $4,000 of your Canadian Dollary-doos, if that's all you're after. For how long will you need your cheap, reliable car until you can get a better one?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tusen Takk posted:

i have the terrible car thread to thank for this wonderful title

Yep, just found those posts. Now I understand that it could have been worse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

1500quidporsche posted:

So today's daily report show that I did "23 hours of work" and the department average removing myself is at "5 hours"....

What are the career options for a man with an accounting degree and 3 years of underwriting experience that won't make me want to blow my brains out?

Wells Fargo's always hiring for underwriters out here, but I can't garuantee the not wanting to blow your brains out bit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

scuz posted:

You can check the "reliable" box for fewer than even $4,000 of your Canadian Dollary-doos, if that's all you're after. For how long will you need your cheap, reliable car until you can get a better one?

2 years. It will be commuting about 80km a day.

I mean yeah I probably could get like an old van or pickup with a SBC 350 in it for less than 4 grand, but I have a weird hard on for boring driving appliances. I've always wanted one. I picked that Cobalt because it was cheap, lowish mileage, has AC, the radio has an AUX jack, has the updated timing chain tensioner and the ignition recall and mostly will be reliable enough if anything does go wrong, parts are cheap (because GM).

Yeah it's not exciting, and the panel gaps are wide enough to kick a field goal through but all I'm going to do with it is sit in rush hour traffic on the highway listening to podcasts. I don't really need anything else.

But on the other hand, it has 4 owners and the car is from back east. particularly French Canada. So I don't know.

1500quidporsche posted:

So today's daily report show that I did "23 hours of work" and the department average removing myself is at "5 hours"....

What are the career options for a man with an accounting degree and 3 years of underwriting experience that won't make me want to blow my brains out?

Come to Vancouver and be an accountant at one of the hundred tech startups here. I mean you have no hope of being able to afford living in the city, but you won't have to wear a suit and they'll bring in beer on Fridays. You'll also probably never see snow again.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

2 years. It will be commuting about 80km a day.

I mean yeah I probably could get like an old van or pickup with a SBC 350 in it for less than 4 grand, but I have a weird hard on for boring driving appliances. I've always wanted one. I picked that Cobalt because it was cheap, lowish mileage, has AC, the radio has an AUX jack, has the updated timing chain tensioner and the ignition recall and mostly will be reliable enough if anything does go wrong, parts are cheap (because GM).

Yeah it's not exciting, and the panel gaps are wide enough to kick a field goal through but all I'm going to do with it is sit in rush hour traffic on the highway listening to podcasts. I don't really need anything else.

But on the other hand, it has 4 owners and the car is from back east. particularly French Canada. So I don't know.
If you've got the means, have someone whose automotive opinion you trust to look it over. Something changing hands that many times is really odd to me. I also didn't notice before that the thing is only $2,499, which is far more reasonable. Honestly, if you need an appliance and that thing is in as good a shape as they claim, I'll be the odd one out and say "whatever man, if it works, go for it." Looks like a cheap, boring car, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CEL gets lit up before your first oil change. It's also difficult to tell from the ad, but the owners probably don't know anything about cars and probably have done little/no recommended maintenance on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

It will be fine. I have had an automatic HHR (same car pretty much) in the family for a long time and it has been very reliable.

That is actually a pretty good price for a decent A to B car.

[e] also parts are super cheap and they are easy to work on. The stock audio systems blow however, it would be worth it to invest in better audio then take it out and put the stock poo poo back in when you sell it.

Other than that you'll be golden.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Oh I found 55bux!

i am harry fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 20, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

i have the terrible car thread to thank for this wonderful title

I miss dog tits.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Come to Vancouver and be an accountant at one of the hundred tech startups here. I mean you have no hope of being able to afford living in the city, but you won't have to wear a suit and they'll bring in beer on Fridays. You'll also probably never see snow again.

I'm not actually too keen on accounting, nor do I have my actual designation. It was incredibly boring in school and I just ended up finishing with it cause I cycled through two other majors before that.

I do like doing analytics and poo poo with statistics which is why I ended up in underwriting but in the group benefits market it's really basic stuff which is why I'm bored out of my mind most the time. The job hunt really isn't aided by the fact that nobody I talk to seems to get what an underwriter does.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RIP Bill Hines aka. The Leadslinger :(

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Bill_Hines

He made it to 94 years young, despite slingin' lead and smokin' cigars for most of his life. I first saw him on Monster Garage where he absolutely floored everyone (including me) with his amazing leadwork. The man was one hell of an artist.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

angryhampster posted:

What are you doing for training? I'm basically adding a mile or two every month to my max and calling it good.
Easy/moderate runs Tues/Weds/Thurs, long run on weekends. Still working my way up. And still doing the cycling and 100k rides as well. As I said, it's gonna be a fun summer. I'll be riding to work a couple times a week as well.

nm posted:

Running is just a primitive form of cycling.
Its just more calories burned to me. I probably won't keep up and max at doing a half or two in future years, but it'll be nice to have a full marathon under my belt. :shrug:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Collateral Damage posted:

The image behind his link is even scarier. Someone put a lot of weird thought into that.

I like how all the anatomy is analogous to humans, except the clitoris, which has been reengineered to be bigger and easier to hit. :gonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
"Vaginal contraction hydraulics."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
UTERUS EXPANSION FRAME

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

You know some of them could be had with a factory turbo, right? And the 2.2 they paired it with will take downright stupid amounts of boost without giving half a gently caress.

They're a pretty drat good sleeper.

Though if he bought it for any reason other to throw all the turbos at it, well... uh... I got nothin.
yeah, I was hoping it had to do with forced induction, but the real reason was because it was $800 and he needed a car.

But he did seem receptive when I sent him Youtube links to people doing ludicrous 1/4-mile passes with turbo'd K-cars / Caravans ...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Wait what are you guys talking about? I only know K-cars as tiny Japanese tax-dodging shoe boxes.
Tangentially related, the Cappo got pulled up on its MOT for rust today. Nothing too horrible, just a small water trap created by the outboard rear mounting points for the seat.

In order to properly look at what I'm dealing with, I've had to pull up the carpet, and I'm pleased to see that there's a good Waxoyl residue in most places. If I can fix the small patches I have to do now and top up these and any other bits that have been missed previously, it should last a good while.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am still mad we never got those here because the Miata isn't quite small enough for me to want one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I am still mad we never got those here because the Miata isn't quite small enough for me to want one.
You could import an early one now, couldn't you? 25 year rule?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Blasted garage door opener decided it didn't want to hear any of the remotes, including the wireless keypad, the other day. Works flawlessly otherwise, and is quiet. I seem to recall that it's a screw-driven type, but danged if I'm sure. It's fairly quiet.
the thing came with the house when I bought it 16 years ago. I hate to replace a mechanically working one, so I've been looking at add-on radios and such. $50-100 after two remotes and a keypad. Home Despot has a Chamberlain chain-drive with two remotes and keypad for $160, and a belt drive for $190. I'm really eyeballing the new Ryobi, though. $250, but that's with an accessory of your choice (I like the cord reel), and another $30-40 buys you a Ryobi cordless tool battery that makes the thing work with the power out. Better still, at that price point, it's already WiFi and app-connected. Tempting. The Chamberlains will do that, but it's another $50 for the WiFi box.
I'd really rather spend money elsewhere, but if I gotta spend it..

Anyone have happy/not happy about their garage door opener? What's good/bad/ugly?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

You could import an early one now, couldn't you? 25 year rule?

I could but I'm a cheap motherfucker and that puts it at least a digit out of my price range.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Tangentially related, the Cappo got pulled up on its MOT for rust today. Nothing too horrible, just a small water trap created by the outboard rear mounting points for the seat.

In order to properly look at what I'm dealing with, I've had to pull up the carpet, and I'm pleased to see that there's a good Waxoyl residue in most places. If I can fix the small patches I have to do now and top up these and any other bits that have been missed previously, it should last a good while.

Not bored of it yet then? :forkbomb:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Not bored of it yet then? :forkbomb:
Never! When you haven't driven it in a while, you forget how much of a giggle it is to blat about in.

Swapping straight from the Cappo to the Landie is a hell of a culture shock though...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

Blasted garage door opener decided it didn't want to hear any of the remotes, including the wireless keypad, the other day. Works flawlessly otherwise, and is quiet. I seem to recall that it's a screw-driven type, but danged if I'm sure. It's fairly quiet.
the thing came with the house when I bought it 16 years ago. I hate to replace a mechanically working one, so I've been looking at add-on radios and such. $50-100 after two remotes and a keypad. Home Despot has a Chamberlain chain-drive with two remotes and keypad for $160, and a belt drive for $190. I'm really eyeballing the new Ryobi, though. $250, but that's with an accessory of your choice (I like the cord reel), and another $30-40 buys you a Ryobi cordless tool battery that makes the thing work with the power out. Better still, at that price point, it's already WiFi and app-connected. Tempting. The Chamberlains will do that, but it's another $50 for the WiFi box.
I'd really rather spend money elsewhere, but if I gotta spend it..

Anyone have happy/not happy about their garage door opener? What's good/bad/ugly?

I've heard these shaft mount liftmasters (used to be an independent brand and got bought out) are bad rear end.

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes/garage-door-openers/elite-series/model-8500

There are a whole bunch of benefits to them starting with noise and including opening up the garage ceiling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A good friend of mine passed today. He wrecked his motorcycle in the wet, and knowing him, alcohol was likely involved. Dude was pretty AI and had a bright blue R32 skyline as a daily driver for a while. I had been blowing him off due to work for a while, now I really regret it. Go out with your friends and hang out, shoot some pool or whatever. You never know whats gonna happen. :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

RIP Bill Hines aka. The Leadslinger :(

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Bill_Hines

He made it to 94 years young, despite slingin' lead and smokin' cigars for most of his life. I first saw him on Monster Garage where he absolutely floored everyone (including me) with his amazing leadwork. The man was one hell of an artist.

Now that's a life well lived.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I... I wish I had taken some pictures. But I was too awe-struck. Plus, well... driving at the time.

Saw an AE86. Seeing one of those is rare enough these days, but this was a very clean one that was being driven the way it's supposed to be driven.

I pull up next to it at a light.... wait, why is the driver's seat empty?

Wait... it's RHD?

.... are those Trueno stickers?

Asked the owner a little about it at a red light. 1986, his first car, bought it while he lived in Japan. I didn't get a chance to ask how original it was, but it was incredibly clean and made my pants feel really tight. Had an aftermarket exhaust, some tasteful wheels, and was lowered, but I have no idea what else was done to it. The engine sounded very happy.

Now I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It's dark and cold outside, so I'm lying in my recliner in front of the fireplace, listening to the Dandy Warhols sipping Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby bourbon. Not the worst way to spend a Saturday night!

• Locked thread