Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This always reminded me of that George Bush / John Kerry debate picture that shows up here every so often that I can't find atm. You know the one I'm talking about, where GWB looks muscular and square jawed where Kerry is hunched and sinister. Our side is strong and handsome, ergo peepee doo doo, you're wrong and I'm right.

for picture thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I look forward to your future posts using the black panthers as props for pro gun rights. Really shows what a racist gently caress you are.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Ron Jeremy posted:

This always reminded me of that George Bush / John Kerry debate picture that shows up here every so often that I can't find atm. You know the one I'm talking about, where GWB looks muscular and square jawed where Kerry is hunched and sinister. Our side is strong and handsome, ergo peepee doo doo, you're wrong and I'm right.

This one?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Really shows what a racist gently caress you are.

Based on...........? lol

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol at people who still look at the suffragettes with rose coloured glasses. Sure some talked about the rights of women, but many were just violent man-hating criminals.

If you support the suffragettes you support a criminal hate group. If oppressed groups want rights maybe they should be extremely polite and state their case and only pursue legal and non-violent non-disruptive methods?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 20, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I have no idea why black folk in America might want to have some armed protection, resistance and organisation in their communities.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

lol at people who still look at the suffragettes with rose coloured glasses. Sure some talked about the rights of women, but many were just violent man-hating criminals.
If you support the suffragettes you support a criminal hate group. If oppressed groups want rights maybe they should be extremely polite and state their case and only pursue legal and non-violent non-disruptive methods?

Makes you think.

JFairfax posted:

I have no idea why black folk in America might want to have some armed protection, resistance and organisation in their communities.

That's cool, and understandable.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's possible to acknowledge the good an organization does or represents, and also to be honest about its dark side. If the truth isn't good enough then neither is what you're lying about.

Alex Rackley, who was tortured and murdered by the BPP for being a suspected informant.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

It's possible to acknowledge the good an organization does or represents, and also to be honest about its dark side. If the truth isn't good enough then neither is what you're lying about.

This is D&D. Nobody is having that.

Alex Rackley, who was tortured and murdered by the BPP for being a suspected informant.

It's ironic because the black panther leadership that had him tortured and murdered turned states evidence an threw everyone they could under the bus.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

This is D&D. Nobody is having that.

It's ironic because the black panther leadership that had him tortured and murdered turned states evidence an threw everyone they could under the bus.

Aoki turned out to be the real informant.

quote:

Scout showed her true colors in the sequel.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

Aoki turned out to be the real informant.

There's a local rapper in my city who's HARD AS gently caress. Always rapping about how everyone is a snitch.

Cop buddy of mine said that he's turned in several tips. lol

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

actually if you or someone who identifies as a member of group, no matter how vast and diverse the grouping, do one thing bad ever you and your people are condemned as evil for eternity

poo poo

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is second life still a thing? Bernie supporters in SL getting griefed by the Trumpenwaffe

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/second-life-donald-trump-bernie-sanders

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

same but about the USA

http://i.imgur.com/MjFpLLs.webm

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

actually if you or someone who identifies as a member of group, no matter how vast and diverse the grouping, do one thing bad ever you and your people are condemned as evil for eternity
Condemnation is only necessary when the evil is systemic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is second life still a thing? Bernie supporters in SL getting griefed by the Trumpenwaffe

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/second-life-donald-trump-bernie-sanders

Only in that the servers are not yet shut down. No one who isn't already far gone has given a poo poo about what happens in there for years.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

Only in that the servers are not yet shut down. No one who isn't already far gone has given a poo poo about what happens in there for years.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

So you play video games in goon orgs?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

(this makes even less sense with context, trust me)

spacetoaster posted:

There's a local rapper in my city who's HARD AS gently caress. Always rapping about how everyone is a snitch.

Cop buddy of mine said that he's turned in several tips. lol

i'm mostly just concerned at your local police force's terrible attitude towards confidentiality of anonymous tips, here

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Makes you think.

That's cool, and understandable.

We really should consider sa place to give people who support the Klan a second chance.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

We really should consider sa place to give people who support the Klan a second chance.

Who here supports the klan, moron? lol

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I was just suggesting there is a way we can help those people.

I mean people could choose to not be subhumans. But sometimes they need some extra encouragement.

Also its adorable that someone wants to cast me as a trump supporter. Must have struck a nerve.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 21, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

A dying comedy website does seem like a good place for that.

With all the trans stuff going on I'm surprised nobody is bringing up the trans racial stuff. Like, there was an actual D&D discussion on why being transracial is totally legit and should be just as respected as transgender or whatever.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

A dying comedy website does seem like a good place for that.

With all the trans stuff going on I'm surprised nobody is bringing up the trans racial stuff. Like, there was an actual D&D discussion on why being transracial is totally legit and should be just as respected as transgender or whatever.

Well being that race doesn't exist I consider the controversy over her quite funny.

Now for those that like to talk about biological differences and such we must resolve to help them see the error of their ways,. Because maybe their destructive tendencies are only caused by them not seeing that there are of course consequences to their actions. I don't much care for either side in the debate over transgenderism. I am mostly concerned about those who actively seek to subvert democracy, and who want to make arguments for racism.

Also if someone thinks a website is dying one shouldn't give it money. Just an observation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

I mean people could choose to not be subhumans. But sometimes they need some extra encouragement.

Also its adorable that someone wants to cast me as a trump supporter. Must have struck a nerve.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nazis are the kind of people we should consider helping.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Nazis are the kind of people we should consider helping.

Anyone who keeps using the label subhuman shares too much common cause with the nazis for me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Anyone who keeps using the label subhuman shares too much common cause with the nazis for me.

Ah so people cannot give up their humanity?

Also you are fine with those who advocate racism?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Jesus christ dude, you've been going at this style of posting hammer and tongs for like two days, give it a rest.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

Jesus christ dude, you've been going at this style of posting hammer and tongs for like two days, give it a rest.

Probably should. But then seeing how people react is interesting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

One fights racism not by dehumanizing the racist.

Humans don't magically stop being humans if they do awful enough things. Humans can do awful things. We have to accept that and understand and change our failings to the victims and the perpetrators.

You're literally using the same language used to justify genocide and racism, and why? It doesn't help stop racism or do any good. I hope you don't honestly believe those less fortunate than you are subhuman.

All of us, even the weakest, saddest, most pathetic of them all, even those we want to hate are humans. To pretend otherwise only lessens ourselves.

Crowsbeak posted:

Probably should. But then seeing how people react is interesting.

Rediscovering Poe's law is exciting if you've never done it before I guess.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
When everyone's a Nazi, no one will be. And that's not right, because the Nazis were totally Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-P1x0oDb8o

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

One fights racism not by dehumanizing the racist.

Humans don't magically stop being humans if they do awful enough things. Humans can do awful things. We have to accept that and understand and change our failings to the victims and the perpetrators.

You're literally using the same language used to justify genocide and racism, and why? It doesn't help stop racism or do any good. I hope you don't honestly believe those less fortunate than you are subhuman.

All of us, even the weakest, saddest, most pathetic of them all, even those we want to hate are humans. To pretend otherwise only lessens ourselves.

So we should just let people get away with diing awful things under the idea that they'll not do it in the future? No harm done? THat really doesn't actually solve the problem also what do you tell the victims? "Oh hey the person who persucuted you for years is sorry, but we're going to forgive him because he said he promises he will not do it again." As Brazil shows that tends to just give those who aspire to hurt others a chance to regroup and find new means to wreck the system.

Also as South Africa shows generally horrible people only give up power when the alternative to them giving up power is something far worse. (That being Zimbabwe). You see when you do not punish what is certainly evil, you invite history to repeat itself.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 21, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

Also as South Africa shows generally horrible people only give up power when the alternative to them giving up power is something far worse. (That being Zimbabwe). You see when you do not punish what is certainly evil, you invite history to repeat itself.

It's funny that you bring up South Africa. Here's what they did after all the horrible crap that went on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_(South_Africa)

quote:

The mandate of the commission was to bear witness to, record, and in some cases grant amnesty to the perpetrators of crimes relating to human rights violations, as well as reparation and rehabilitation.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

It's funny that you bring up South Africa. Here's what they did after all the horrible crap that went on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_(South_Africa)

Yes and frankly giving amnesty doesn't make sense. To forgive someone for horrible crimes doesn't actually discourage them or potential fallowers in the future. As Brazil shows it actually legitimizes their actions frankly. Also as SOuth frika under Zuma shows the lack of punishments for the Authoritarianism under Apartheid have encouraged a corrupt and Authoritarian system to persist.

I do love the new Avatar. I was actually thinking of getting one of Salazar to go with Liberal Leet accusing me of being a Theo fascist but this works to.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

So we should just let people get away with diing awful things under the idea that they'll not do it in the future? No harm done? THat really doesn't actually solve the problem also what do you tell the victims? "Oh hey the person who persucuted you for years is sorry, but we're going to forgive him because he said he promises he will not do it again." As Brazil shows that tends to just give those who aspire to hurt others a chance to regroup and find new means to wreck the system.

The fact you assume you have to treat people as subhuman to punish them is concerning. And/or a lovely attempt at trolling. The reason I posted the Panopticon earlier is I think Fucoult had a lot to say about the flaws of this sort of thinking. There is perniciousness in the very language of "subhuman".

Likewise, forgiveness and compassion isn't weakness. Nor does it prevent a society from using punishment. Saying horrible people are twisted, horrible people but still people only demands we respect their humanity not ties our hand to their will. I pity the racist as a fellow human gone astray, not some subhuman lesser other.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

The fact you assume you have to treat people as subhuman to punish them is concerning. And/or a lovely attempt at trolling. The reason I posted the Panopticon earlier is I think Fucoult had a lot to say about the flaws of this sort of thinking. There is perniciousness in the very language of "subhuman".

Likewise, forgiveness and compassion isn't weakness. Nor does it prevent a society from using punishment. Saying horrible people are twisted, horrible people but still people only demands we respect their humanity not ties our hand to their will. I pity the racist as a fellow human gone astray, not some subhuman lesser other.

Still doesn't make a slap on the wrist a good idea as truth and reconcilation is. Its far better to make those who see the best way to run a society through the terror of the many and torture of thousands and then act through it like those who committed Apartheid, like the Juntists throughout South America, like the KKK, have to show at the very least what a majority could see as penance for their crimes. Yes it is truly a great thing to forgive but its also rather ridiculous to tell victims to forgive monsters who knowingly wrecked others lives. Also as problems right now with Power mad authority figures in PD's show just stripping them of their badges doesn't make them stop. Making them know they can end up in prison is what makes them stop. Also I might be less despising of racists if I didn't know two who were raised in better settings than I was and actually got to know people who were not white and even interacted with them, but still ended up as alt right slimes. The racist is not the result of economic circumstances, it is the result of people wanting to dominate other humans.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 21, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crowsbeak posted:

The racist is not the result of economic circumstances, it is the result of people wanting to dominate other humans.

So this is the true history of the black panther party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

So this is the true history of the black panther party?

The black Panthers were a bunch of idiot who at least could claim to have been started due to bad circumstances. Also whats with the necklace?

• Locked thread