Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So have some people decided their favorite method of trolling is to just gently caress over co-op buddies? I summoned a guy for pontiff sulyvahn and he buffed his weapon, entered the fog door with me and as I drew aggro he just black crystaled out. rear end in a top hat. I almost won too, I just got sloppy at the end.
Also for some reason I don't really get invaded a lot, this playthrough's first was an obvious newbie I instantly melted with flame weapon, but the aldrich faithful stuff is really fun! Except when I get double invaded, then it's a bit less fun, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Yea invading in this game is really dumb and not fun. :(

Invading is usually alright in my experience, but this one does have some issues with pvp that the previous 2 lacked. Seems to have the worst issues with spammers (with any weapon frankly). And, while there are certain levels where numbers may not be a problem (like the prison. I've invaded multiple groups there and have managed to use enemies+terrain to kill 2-3 phantoms alone), it does seem a bit harder to be a lone invader. I've noticed that invading phantoms in this usually tend to engage in coop a lot more frequently than 1 or 2.

As for people who run an heal, just bring a bunch of hunter charms. It can definitely help. I just wish they flew faster.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ogilvie posted:

I normally don't share gay twitch streams with people but this happened while playing a Simon Belmont run.

Sorry for the lack of audio, apparently castlevania music will mute your video.

https://www.twitch.tv/malafool/v/67288170

This is a great watch btw. If it hadn't ended the way it did, I would have screamed non canon, because Richter Belmont is canonically the strongest Belmont not named Julius Belmont.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ogilvie posted:

I normally don't share gay twitch streams with people but this happened while playing a Simon Belmont run.

Sorry for the lack of audio, apparently castlevania music will mute your video.

https://www.twitch.tv/malafool/v/67288170

I don't usually share gay twitch streams either, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a stream falling in love with another stream, let alone two streams of the same sex.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It turns out the problem was that horace was still alive and hollowed. After I killed the poor sap anri's summon sign appeared without issues.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fereydun posted:

noooooo now i can only cast 6 of them instead of 8

edit:
lol i just realized this puts it 3 fp less than forbidden sun, making forbidden sun even more useless now

or rather i guess just highlighting the uselessness of it moreso

Uh, what? Chaos Bed Vestiges is great. Faster to cast and does considerably more damage (though only equal if the lava pool from chaos ball procs a few times).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fire Barrel posted:

As for people who run an heal, just bring a bunch of hunter charms. It can definitely help. I just wish they flew faster.

Those only last for 30 seconds and you can only carry so many. Meanwhile a host can just keep running away and letting phantoms engage the invader. They don't really do much. I watched a stream where the host summoned the same two guys over and over; the streamer who was invading killed the same two phantoms ten times while the host just rolled away over and over. It was a 20 minute invasion. There's nothing you can really do since if a host doesn't want to fight you, they pretty much don't ever have to.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
While waiting for Sword Master to solo the Dancer is super boring, running through all that late game stuff and just jumping from item to item is a lot of fun.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

invaders are an annoying nuisance and im glad the one thing From kept from ds2 was being able to go human/kindled where ever, and that just like ds1 being unkindled/hollowed blocks invasions

so far the only times I've been invaded is when I'm right by the boss fog door

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Those only last for 30 seconds and you can only carry so many. Meanwhile a host can just keep running away and letting phantoms engage the invader. They don't really do much. I watched a stream where the host summoned the same two guys over and over; the streamer who was invading killed the same two phantoms ten times while the host just rolled away over and over. It was a 20 minute invasion. There's nothing you can really do since if a host doesn't want to fight you, they pretty much don't ever have to.

Well you can kill the host before they are able to summon phantoms again. I have been through this though and its a huge pain. That's why I prefer magic based invasions as a pyromancer or a sorcerer because its much easier to engage hosts at range and one shot their summon spamming dicks off.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Honestly what we need is Karmic Justice so when 4 people mob you with estocs the instant you stand up after invading they all explode for 10k damage and die.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Well you can kill the host before they are able to summon phantoms again.

That's a good idea, I'll be sure to try it next time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Honestly what we need is Karmic Justice so when 4 people mob you with estocs the instant you stand up after invading they all explode for 10k damage and die.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Is there a reason my elevator shortcut to twin princes is only going down?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pyrus Malus posted:

Maybe it has something to do with being a Demons Souls vet and coming from that world where the 'ambush' style of play was still common, but I see so many rageposts in the DS3 subreddit about invading and being forced into a 1v3.

So many players wanting fair duels during invasions, but... I'm pretty sure that's not how it was ever meant to work.

You hide in the area, wait for them to come, and ambush them, right? Am I the only one who plays like this? Phantoms will probably die along the way (maybe even the host!) because a lot of players are still figuring out the game. When or if they reach you, you spring whatever hilarious trap you've come up with.

You're an enemy - invasions aren't about e-honor, they're about stabbing the host in the back and ripping out his or her tongue :v:

I was going to write a big post about how wrong this is but I realized its pointless because I can just post this;

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is there a reason my elevator shortcut to twin princes is only going down?

doesn't that elevator shaft have two elevators, like the one you meet siegward on?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Pyrus Malus posted:

Maybe it has something to do with being a Demons Souls vet and coming from that world where the 'ambush' style of play was still common, but I see so many rageposts in the DS3 subreddit about invading and being forced into a 1v3.

So many players wanting fair duels during invasions, but... I'm pretty sure that's not how it was ever meant to work.

You hide in the area, wait for them to come, and ambush them, right? Am I the only one who plays like this? Phantoms will probably die along the way (maybe even the host!) because a lot of players are still figuring out the game. When or if they reach you, you spring whatever hilarious trap you've come up with.

You're an enemy - invasions aren't about e-honor, they're about stabbing the host in the back and ripping out his or her tongue :v:

Counter-point: E-honor (which has nothing to do with random invasions in the first place) aside, if you invade me and expect me to follow you into uncleared content so that I can spring your cute little trap, you'll be waiting there a long time until you find me by a bonfire in the Patches Squat pose. I might even *applause*.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Stokes posted:

Counter-point: E-honor (which has nothing to do with random invasions in the first place) aside, if you invade me and expect me to follow you into uncleared content so that I can spring your cute little trap, you'll be waiting there a long time until you find me by a bonfire in the Patches Squat pose. I might even *applause*.

Yeah, that's why I think you have to be aggressive as possible if dealing with multiple phantoms, cause I only seem to do well in those cases. Playing it safe just results in getting caught by a pack of phantoms or waiting for a very long time until the host quits or gets a group. The bridge in the catacombs use to be a good trap, but people got wise to it unfortunately.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I was going to write a big post about how wrong this is but I realized its pointless because I can just post this;

When i was doing ng++ run with that on and dried finger i actually met a clever invader who managed to chamaleon in the middle of an enemy patrol and ambush me.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I was doing random level 40 invasions in Catacombs for a while and one host actually used one of these. He wasn't even in a ganksquad and immediately ran back to the bonfire making it pretty much useless to boot. I mean they're not that common so I was quite surprised. Even if you get invaded constantly you're on average only getting one every other time you bother returning to Firelink after all.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Oh man, Soul of Cinders was such an amazing boss fight. It was such a really cool way to end the series. And the music change during the second part.... The whole thing was just so cool and nostalgic. It really made me think that the Souls series has been something special.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

GulagDolls posted:

doesn't that elevator shaft have two elevators, like the one you meet siegward on?

gently caress, I'm dumb. Thanks!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I was doing random level 40 invasions in Catacombs for a while and one host actually used one of these. He wasn't even in a ganksquad and immediately ran back to the bonfire making it pretty much useless to boot. I mean they're not that common so I was quite surprised. Even if you get invaded constantly you're on average only getting one every other time you bother returning to Firelink after all.

If youre a pvp nut and use dried finger all the time you can get a lot of them because each invasion has a 10% chance of spawning a new seed.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I don't usually share gay twitch streams either, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a stream falling in love with another stream, let alone two streams of the same sex.

First Gay Stream Marriage. In all fairness, a Belmont run in this particular Dark Souls is abysmally difficult. The Whip has to be one of the shittiest weapons in the game because it takes so drat long to flail it about. The special move is pretty sweet though. It's too bad they took holy water out of the game, I have to substitute it with firebombs or lightning urns.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Internet Kraken posted:

Is that a Giants vagina or something?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're willing to expand to certain other castlevania characters almost any weapon becomes fair game :v:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So did I miss a step to continue Yuria's questline and perform the wedding at Darkmoon? She told me they were waiting there but nobody is there whenever I show up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You have a chance of getting one each time you kill an invader so if you have a gank squad you're basically gonna get one each time you go back for your next gank squad.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

So did I miss a step to continue Yuria's questline and perform the wedding at Darkmoon? She told me they were waiting there but nobody is there whenever I show up.

did you find anri (twice) in the catacombs and by the yorshka bonfire?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
*sees Three NPCs in the far distance*

"Let's see, this message says try eliminating one at a time. Well, that's the usual plan. Hah, shortbow pulls are great. Now to finish this guy off-Oh the other two have suddenly decided to aggro from 300 feet away, welp."

At least such "We're making an exception to the rule" tricks are ones you can only fall for once :v:

EDIT: "I'll lead them down to the spooky books this time! I'm using tactics!-oh they are immune okay then. Still, that's one down"

two... Just you and me now mage. And that's that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 20, 2016

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Stokes posted:

This is perfectly acceptable behavior, but I've legitimately only invaded one person who's just sat and waited.

Invaders are, at best, enabled trolls. That said, if I've wasted your time, it's a successful invasion - it ain't always about getting the kill and the covenant macguffin, especially when you can just red sign and grind it out that way.

Edit: Just realized that the majority of replies to my post are on the previous page. I'm not recording statistics or anything, and I realize this is completely anecdotal, but I'd say that even though I've definitely seen it happen, a pretty low percentage of my invasions end up with the host + a gank squad waiting at the bonfire/fog wall to murder me. I've honestly seen more fight clubs than I have merciless gank squads.

Pyrus Malus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 20, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What do you need to get invaded in this game though? I can summon/get summoned/invade other people in a matter of seconds, but I haven't seen a single invader yet. Perhaps I need to open up some ports?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RyokoTK posted:

There's several problems with this. First off is that the game's been out for a month now, and a lot of people playing the game are already at least reasonably familiar with it so it's not like invasions are just noob stomps anymore. Secondly, healing in PVP is extremely free so if you don't alpha strike your target, they'll probably escape and full heal, meanwhile you're sitting in a blender of swords and there's not much you can do about it. Thirdly, in my experience, as soon as people see the invasion message they just loving run back to the bonfire, summon as many phantoms as they can, and then stand around and wait for you to engage them. Fourthly, there are plenty of actually constructed gank squads that just clear out the level, use a dried finger, sit by the bonfire, and wait for people to invade the game (with the high priority due to the finger) just so that they can ruthlessly murder them.

That's the DS1 forest and it was the best.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I know it's cheap as hell, but I killed the second crystal sage the normal way in the grand archives once and like hell am I going to put in that effort again. Now, I just spray him with toxic mist or poop him up and let his health rot away on the first floor while I AFK around the corner. I'm not running all over the place for you again. :colbert:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Smol posted:

What do you need to get invaded in this game though? I can summon/get summoned/invade other people in a matter of seconds, but I haven't seen a single invader yet. Perhaps I need to open up some ports?

Summon at least 2 other guys, maybe 3, then camp next to the bonfire after clearing out all the enemies in the level.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Smol posted:

Run around embered. I get invaded pretty regularly after every boss. And if not, pop the dried finger. Do you get invasions in the Aldrich areas?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Welp, got soft-banned because of that hacker a few weeks back. Can it be undone by deleting my entire save file or is this permanent?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Could you petition to have it undone?

That is so lovely a Grade A oval office can do that to totally innocent players.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Welp, got soft-banned because of that hacker a few weeks back. Can it be undone by deleting my entire save file or is this permanent?

Contact support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

Summon at least 2 other guys, maybe 3, then camp next to the bonfire after clearing out all the enemies in the level.

This. Being embered isn't enough, you need to summon to get invaded reliably.