Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

MrChips posted:

Fixed that for you.

The DC-10 and derivatives were shared MD designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

Yes. Military aircraft are one of the exceptions to being negative RVSM in RVSM airspace.

Certain military aircraft are exempt, or are only exempt for certain situations. Upgrading the USAF E-3 fleet to be RVSM-compliant was kind of an emergency program otherwise we were not going to be allowed in Euro airspace (which is a problem when you're supporting two wars on the other side of Europe and have to rotate aircraft through). In the US we were capped at FL290 except in certain designated military airspaces.

Edit:

fknlo posted:

A lot of it depends on if you're "obviously" military. Callsign and type obviously play a huge role in this.

This makes sense. Nobody mistakes Sentry XX for a civilian. Trying to explain that the control facility (Bandsaw, Dragnet, etc) is on the same aircraft so yes Sentry is cleared into the airspace was sometimes a pain, though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 20, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's actually an improvement for Fox News; at least this time the plane they used has the correct number of engines.

And it’s the same plane in all angles.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Forums Terrorist posted:

The DC-10 and derivatives were shared MD designs.

Need I say any more? The DC-10 was the first combined effort of McDonnell-Douglas, and, well, look how it turned out :v:

The DC-9, on the other hand - and basically every Douglas civilian aircraft before it, right back to the DC-3 - was a fantastically rugged, reliable and well-liked (at least by the airlines) workhorse of an aircraft.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I think I just saw a Herc fly past my balcony on approach to Toronto Island, then turn south across the lake. Must have come from CFB Trenton.
e-nothing on flightaware, so military makes sense. 4 engine prop job, with a pod between the engines on each wing, and a single white nav light on the tail. Can't think what else it could be.

The S&R dudes in Trenton sometimes fly down to CYHM when they're on standby. It gets them a few hours in the logbook and they go park at the museum and hang out until they either have to go home for the day or someone gets their rear end lost/in trouble and they have to go do their thing.

One time leaving CYHM they got a bit happy on the throttle. It wouldn't have been an issue but it was combined with someone at the museum forgetting to put the gust locks in on the Lancaster. From what I hear the control surfaces flapped around like barn doors in a tornado. Ended up grounding it for the majority of the season because they had to take pretty much every control surface off for inspection.

EDIT: If you haven't been to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario you really really need to go. It has one of 2 flying Lancasters left in the world. It'd sometimes fly over when I lived in the city and every time hearing 4 Merlins overhead gave me chills.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 20, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

Need I say any more? The DC-10 was the first combined effort of McDonnell-Douglas, and, well, look how it turned out :v:

The DC-9, on the other hand - and basically every Douglas civilian aircraft before it, right back to the DC-3 - was a fantastically rugged, reliable and well-liked (at least by the airlines) workhorse of an aircraft.

The DC-10 was fine if you followed the instruction manual. After fixing that whole "let's put all the redundancies next to each other" thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

The S&R dudes in Trenton sometimes fly down to CYHM when they're on standby. It gets them a few hours in the logbook and they go park at the museum and hang out until they either have to go home for the day or someone gets their rear end lost/in trouble and they have to go do their thing.

One time leaving CYHM they got a bit happy on the throttle. It wouldn't have been an issue but it was combined with someone at the museum forgetting to put the gust locks in on the Lancaster. From what I hear the control surfaces flapped around like barn doors in a tornado. Ended up grounding it for the majority of the season because they had to take pretty much every control surface off for inspection.

EDIT: If you haven't been to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario you really really need to go. It has one of 2 flying Lancasters left in the world. It'd sometimes fly over when I lived in the city and every time hearing 4 Merlins overhead gave me chills.

My good friends held their wedding reception there, which is just about the coolest, best wedding venue ever.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

They even caught the favor of Lord Xenu with the DC-8.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cat Mattress posted:

As of October 2015, the DC-8 had been involved in 146 incidents,[24] including 83 hull-loss accidents,[25] with 2,256 fatalities.[26] The DC-8 has been in 46 hijackings involving 2 fatalities.[27]

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

But without “fans”.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I saw a re-engined DC-8 the other day. Man, narrowbody quad jets look weird, especially with CFM56s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

This makes sense. Nobody mistakes Sentry XX for a civilian. Trying to explain that the control facility (Bandsaw, Dragnet, etc) is on the same aircraft so yes Sentry is cleared into the airspace was sometimes a pain, though.

"Bandsaw, say position."

:v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

"Bandsaw, say position."

:v:

I've heard that, and my response was "The backseat of Sentry XX." That kind of thing didn't happen often, at least. It's usually just the guy we talked to on the phone ends up not passing on the information to the controller.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I haven't seen quite a few of these

https://youtu.be/_jw_BHJTl68

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

EvilJoven posted:

Couple of years back it flew over to the UK to do shows with the other Lancaster.

Managed to see it during a display involving an orchestra playing the dambusters theme as they flew over.

Warning: potato phone vertical video

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

I've heard that, and my response was "The backseat of Sentry XX."

I would pay good money to be present when a controller gets smacked with that.

It's just so good.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Center, bandsaw, part of the sentry xx formation, assume marsa and 20 feet in trail with lead

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

YOU GUYS YOU GUYS YOU GUYS
Doc's gonna fly as soon as Monday!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

freelop posted:

Couple of years back it flew over to the UK to do shows with the other Lancaster.

Managed to see it during a display involving an orchestra playing the dambusters theme as they flew over.

Warning: potato phone vertical video

There's a good documentary about that called Reunion of Giants.

Last weekend the National Aviation Museum held the most Canadian aviation event possible. They screened Reunion of Giants to raise money for the restoration of the Canadair North Star, with Bob Pearson, pilot of the Gimli Glider as the moderator of the Q and A with Lancaster pilots afterward.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rocket_350 posted:

There's a good documentary about that called Reunion of Giants.

Last weekend the National Aviation Museum held the most Canadian aviation event possible. They screened Reunion of Giants to raise money for the restoration of the Canadair North Star, with Bob Pearson, pilot of the Gimli Glider as the moderator of the Q and A with Lancaster pilots afterward.

No Avro Arrow content, 6/10

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

Center, bandsaw, part of the sentry xx formation, assume marsa and 20 feet in trail with lead

:lol: That would've been fun...I probably would've made the call on the internal net up to the flight deck.

Although, in real ops when we were flying in our own airspace, we'd direct the E-3 on freq just like anyone else; moving from one orbit to another, or going to a tanker, altitude changes, etc. Keeps everyone aware of what's going on.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Spaced God posted:

fake edit:
https://twitter.com/OffensiveAvGeek/status/733302213649403904
Even the lower third in that is annoying

phwoar that's a bit racy for disaster coverage.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

At the same time!? :quagmire:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

For want of a comma.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This happened this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/SZUzgS8.webm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-21/passengers-jump-from-stricken-hot-air-balloon/7434240

quote:

Nine passengers have jumped from a hot air balloon hovering over Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay onto a police boat below following fears the balloon, which was low on fuel, would ditch into the water.

The balloon was hovering about 500 metres offshore around Black Rock and low on fuel, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) said.

Fireboat crews and water police travelled to the scene about 8:30am, while a number of nearby fishing boats trailed the balloon.

The balloon floated over the police boat and each time it began to lose altitude, passengers climbed out of the basket and jumped onto the deck below.

The passengers were taken to the Beaumaris motor yacht squadron to be checked by paramedics.

The loss of passengers reduced the weight of the basket, allowing the pilot to return to shore. The balloon then landed at Mount Martha.
https://twitter.com/jameshancockABC/status/733834049676972032

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Calling the guy who is nominally in charge of the balloon a "pilot" always seemed a bit optimistic imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

Calling the guy who is nominally in charge of the balloon a "pilot" always seemed a bit optimistic imo

Balloon whisperer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

You can say the same about airbuses.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hobbesmaster posted:

Heh

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

That's not uncommon in Melbourne. Happens at least once a year. I have a friend who that happened to a few years ago.

The flying in Melbourne is quite difficult, because it's fast winds up high and slow/calm on the surface. The balloons are supposed to land in parks, but sometimes the wind doesn't work out, and the beach is your last chance, and doesn't always work out.

They usually just throw down a drop line and tow them back to shore. If you're low on fuel, see if you can unload some passengers and/or empty tanks on to the boat.

priznat posted:

Ever tried? It's a lot more of an art than flying planes. Some days that's true, and all you can do is pick a spot to land in a straight line. Some days you can steer 180+ degrees using the wind.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

:boom:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
4 months ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gstsqUIvPvY

St_Ides posted:

That's not uncommon in Melbourne. Happens at least once a year. I have a friend who that happened to a few years ago.

The flying in Melbourne is quite difficult, because it's fast winds up high and slow/calm on the surface. The balloons are supposed to land in parks, but sometimes the wind doesn't work out, and the beach is your last chance, and doesn't always work out.

They usually just throw down a drop line and tow them back to shore. If you're low on fuel, see if you can unload some passengers and/or empty tanks on to the boat.

Ever tried? It's a lot more of an art than flying planes. Some days that's true, and all you can do is pick a spot to land in a straight line. Some days you can steer 180+ degrees using the wind.

Yup. My dad used to be an air traffic controller at Melbourne Airport, one story of his was talking to a few balloon pilots one morning near the end of his shift, where the winds were going etc and telling one guy his landing site will probably be somewhere in the eastern suburbs. Anyway he knocks off at 6am and decided to go play some golf in the morning before heading home, plays a few holes down at Elsternwick and then when he's on the seventh what does he see across from him? A balloon has landed on the fairway on the hole over, dad walked up and asked if he was supposed to land in Hawthorn, the pilot asked him how he knew? "Well, I talked to you on the radio two hours ago."

Melbourne is also one of the only cities in the world that allows hot air balloons in the CBD, flying below Pansops or any flying limit. So if the wind is right they get to fly between skyscrapers.

I have seen footage of balloons flying even lower than this right through the middle of the CBD too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgqZ_sOBy1I
Plus balloons pass over my house sometimes quite low, you can say hi to the people onboard if you're outside.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 21, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

:captainpop:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

:holymoley:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Drop line-ing that close to powerlines makes me pucker.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

"Transport Accident Lawyers"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Saw a couple C-17s today. They were coming out of the north and turning west, which isn't so unusual, except that I cannot for the life of me think of a single reason why they'd do that 50 miles north of JBLM.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

Nice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Going through my archive of flying photos. This one looks almost fake. Open it up in a new tab and remove the "l" before .jpeg for the full rez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So a guy at my airport owns an A-26 and I'm not quite sure what the proper way to beg him to go look at his airplane and offer to do things(let's face it probably just throw money at him) in exchange for a ride around the block.

Every time I taxi by it I want to ask GND if I can stop and gawk for a few minutes.