Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know it's movie news, but the just announced news that Karl Urban being in the new Thor movie as Skurge gives a high likelihood of this thread's favorite Thor panels being committed to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I know exactly where you're coming from and that was an immediate letdown, but over time I was more accepting of it because at the end of the day, the moral is "DC heroes aren't supposed to be this way" and it's refreshing to see that out of some kind of DC media these days.

I feel you on that, but I still feel that even THAT story wasn't told super well. Especially with the weird part of the game where the entire plot takes a break so Ed Boon can give a reach-around to Deathstroke.

The probably-best issue of the Injustice comic expressed the sentiment of Injustice being "wrong" better than the game ever did, for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know it's movie news, but the just announced news that Karl Urban being in the new Thor movie as Skurge gives a high likelihood of this thread's favorite Thor panels being committed to film.

It just won't be the same if he's using some kinda goofy laser gun, which is highly likely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

When Injustice 2 inevitably comes out, it had BETTER be about a Dr. Doom style evil Batman who took over his own world breaking Evil Superman out of his Superjail to form the World's Crudest Team.

That sounds pretty rad, to be honest.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can get behind this too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lurdiak posted:

When Injustice 2 inevitably comes out, it had BETTER be about a Dr. Doom style evil Batman who took over his own world breaking Evil Superman out of his Superjail to form the World's Crudest Team.

Isn't that just Ultraman and Owlman again?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I dug these up to make a joke in the marvel heroes thread but they fit here too. Magnetowns, in X-Men Legacy #251.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Unfortunately, I can only really aim where I can see, so everyone behind me is probably almost sort of possibly definitely dead."

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

At least he tried

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He said "wherever possible".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I haven't read that series, and I'm not familiar with that character, so maybe somebody can explain to me why all those men thought it was a good idea to attack Magneto with guns and knives and other metallic weaponry?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The probably-best issue of the Injustice comic expressed the sentiment of Injustice being "wrong" better than the game ever did, for me.

I'm sure I would be quickly probated for hitting the BSS movie thread and replying to every mention of MoS and BvS with this image, but it would probably be worth it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Bravo posted:

I haven't read that series, and I'm not familiar with that character, so maybe somebody can explain to me why all those men thought it was a good idea to attack Magneto with guns and knives and other metallic weaponry?

The run was about chasing down some of Legion's personalities that were able to gain their own physical form. This one was a sound based mimetic virus, hearing him speak would turn you into a clone of him. He didn't quite fully grasp Magneto's powers because he was just a fragment of David's psyche.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nipponophile posted:

I'm sure I would be quickly probated for hitting the BSS movie thread and replying to every mention of MoS and BvS with this image, but it would probably be worth it.

I'd reply to ever BvS mention with this if I dared:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Trast posted:

Amen to that. Let's have an argument over why Batman would be a much more interesting villain.

Last week I read the trade of Mark Millar's Nemesis, alternately described as "what if Batman was the Joker" and "what if Batman was a oval office".

Trast posted:

Batman would be a much more interesting villain.

How I wish you were right.

(Although the scene where the President of the United States decides to go out as a suicide bomber instead of a hostage in a 'KILL EITHER YOUR WIFE OR THE PRESIDENT' dilemma is pretty badass.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Parahexavoctal posted:

Last week I read the trade of Mark Millar's Nemesis, alternately described as "what if Batman was the Joker" and "what if Batman was a oval office".

How I wish you were right.

(Although the scene where the President of the United States decides to go out as a suicide bomber instead of a hostage in a 'KILL EITHER YOUR WIFE OR THE PRESIDENT' dilemma is pretty badass.)

Didn't that comic have a scene where said character got a woman pregnant with her brother's child, and 'rigged' her womb so if she aborted the incest baby, she will never have children again?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unlucky7 posted:

Didn't that comic have a scene where said character got a woman pregnant with her brother's child, and 'rigged' her womb so if she aborted the incest baby, she will never have children again?

Some overlap, but whatever.

Also, the cop in question is super-Catholic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What the...

Parahexavoctal posted:

Mark Millar's Nemesis

Oh, that makes sense.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

In the end, she had triplets, which her parents happily adopted.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure of the exact issue: I would guess Excalibur #66 or 67:

I really hope the pages before this was something so mundane like a family having a picnic or something.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

prefect posted:

Some overlap, but whatever.

Also, the cop in question is super-Catholic.

I wonder what it feels like to write a scene like that and not smash your computer out of disgust, and instead continue to have a professional artist and publisher draw it and release it with your name on it. I wonder.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Unlucky7 posted:

That scene specifically made me stop buying Millar comics. I've read his recent stuff and it's surprisingly decent, but I'm not going to spend money on another of his books for fear of it turning into Nemesis.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

That scene specifically made me stop buying Millar comics. I've read his recent stuff and it's surprisingly decent, but I'm not going to spend money on another of his books for fear of it turning into Nemesis.

At the time a friend and I were buying comics and reading each other's. My friend got this and I got S.H.E.I.L.D. Even though my comic never finished, I'm glad I got the better of the two comics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
They need to swap out that last panel into "gently caress you, Millar!"

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

BooDoug187 posted:

I really hope the pages before this was something so mundane like a family having a picnic or something.

Some non-epic Excalibur bullshit, IIRC. Relationship drama, supervillian fight, doing laundry... I forget, offhand.

Excalibur v1 #61, previous page:

Relationship drama it is!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I appreciate Kurt giving decent advice, if nothing else.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I don't know why, but the name Sat-Yr-A makes me irrationally angry.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

10 Beers posted:

I don't know why, but the name Sat-Yr-A makes me irrationally angry.

That's a 9, not an A. It's pronounced "saturnine".

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Travis343 posted:

That still makes me angry.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh, and that reminds me. When I first learned of that scene, I thought the point was that she was his barely-pubescent daughter. But she's his adult daughter, who was selected by NemesisMillar for this victimization because she already had an abortion.

So why is it being presented as if it's her father's choice?

It's strange -- you show me Batman riding on the outside of a commercial jet, and smashing open the cockpit and taking control of the plane, I'd think that was pretty badass. But when Nemesis rode on Air Force One a thousand feet up and crawled to the cockpit and shot the pilots dead through the windshield and then took the President hostage and forced the plane to ram into the ground and collide with a tanker truck full of gasoline, I just rolled my eyes.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 22, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Travis343 posted:

You say that like it makes it any less stupid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sat-Yr-9 is evil Saturnine.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

I had this character on a trading card from 1993, is the only reason I know anything about this person.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What about the mythological greek nazi version of her Satyr-Nein

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Are Sat-Yr-1 thru 8 okay? :ohdear:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Four Score posted:

Are Sat-Yr-1 thru 8 okay? :ohdear:

You know Satyr-6 is really scared of Satyr-7.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Travis343 posted:

You know Satyr-6 is really scared of Satyr-7.

Really!? I can't imagine why!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Nemesis shows one of Millar's really big issues: instead of trying to conceive of a villain whose vile deeds make organic sense, it comes off far more like he sat down, made a checklist of the worst things he could think of, and then had the villain do them with magic never fail plot powers. Terrible deeds do not inherently make a great villain, especially when they come off as forced as Millar's tend to.

His Ultimate Red Skull was another example. He clearly felt he had to try and top the original, but how do you top a murderous, hateful Nazi? Turns out you really can't, and in trying you almost make the villain a pitch-black comedy figure.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Nemesis shows one of Millar's really big issues: instead of trying to conceive of a villain whose vile deeds make organic sense, it comes off far more like he sat down, made a checklist of the worst things he could think of, and then had the villain do them with magic never fail plot powers. Terrible deeds do not inherently make a great villain, especially when they come off as forced as Millar's tend to.

His Ultimate Red Skull was another example. He clearly felt he had to try and top the original, but how do you top a murderous, hateful Nazi? Turns out you really can't, and in trying you almost make the villain a pitch-black comedy figure.

I'm not interested enough in knowing what he did that I'll track down the issues in question and read them. I am interested enough, though, that I'll ask. What did Millar's Ultimate Red Skull do?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Travis343 posted:

Well that's even worse.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm not interested enough in knowing what he did that I'll track down the issues in question and read them. I am interested enough, though, that I'll ask. What did Millar's Ultimate Red Skull do?
URS, if I remember that arc of The Ultimates correctly, was Ultimate Captain American's bastard son, which he fathered after he banged his ol' moll post Super Soldier Serum. Cap gets iceberged while the girl finds out she's pregnant. The child is born with SSS in him, so he's taken to a government facility to train to be the next-gen Cap. He passes all his tests wonderfully, and on his 18th birthday flips out, kills everyone, and cuts his face off. He goes in search of the Cosmic Cube so that he can get a wish granted. The Ultimates think he's trying to usher in some terrible age of Red Skull, but it turns out he just had major daddy issues because he was constantly living under the shadow of the legend of Captain Ameridad. His wish is to be able to get his childhood back and have, like, a real family.

Sam J. Fury has him capped in the head at the end.

Wikipedia tells me that URS was responsible for killing Kennedy, was involved in VietNam and various tinpot asian dictators, killed the Red Wasp's son and caused the AIM team that helped synthesize his cosmic cube to eat themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FilthyImp posted:

The Ultimates think he's trying to usher in some terrible age of Red Skull, but it turns out he just had major daddy issues because he was constantly living under the shadow of the legend of Captain Ameridad. His wish is to be able to get his childhood back and have, like, a real family.

Well, that doesn't seem so terrible, you could wring some decent pathos out of -

quote:

Sam J. Fury has him capped in the head at the end.

Oooof course.

Fuckin' Miller Millar. :rolleyes:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 23, 2016