Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a cheap VR case adaptor thing I can buy for around $50 that fits a 6s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a cheap VR case adaptor thing I can buy for around $50 that fits a 6s?

Google cardboard. There are tons of prebuilts on amazon for less than that or you can make your own for like 8 bucks and two hours work. That's all any of them are, anyway, just with differing materials and external form factors.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Or go to Target and get that really cool ViewMaster for like $20-25.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

clockworx posted:

A friend gave me an iPhone 5S from their junk drawer, and I was hoping someone here might have seen the issues I'm seeing and recommend a possible resolution. I'm hoping to use it as a backup, and also as a trial to see if I would like an SE after having a 6.

• Home button is broken - The old one had a ripped ribbon right at the button itself. I replaced it, which worked but obviously breaks Touch ID. I'm wondering if I can somehow attach the original cable to a replacement home button, if that might allow Touch ID (even if it's a long shot). I know there is a "pairing" between the Touch ID unit and the motherboard, but I would expect that to be between the chips on the cable and not the sensor button itself
  • Screen/touch functionality is funky - touch works perfectly when I first turn on the screen, but eventually stops responding and/or "ghost touching". Turning the screen on/off starts the cycle over again. I would be comfortable replacing the screen assembly since I've already taken it off to check/reseat the cables, but I find it weird that it works initially and then degrades, so I'm not 100% sure the screen is the issue. I have updated to latest OS and reset multiple times, which didn't have any effect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the whole display is third party, which would explain why the cable was ripped out of the home button and also explain the weird touch issues (a lot of replacement screens are terrible). You can try another at-home repair, which should fix the screen issues, but as far as I know there's no way to get Touch ID working again with third party parts.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

kitten smoothie posted:

Or go to Target and get that really cool ViewMaster for like $20-25.

I have one and think it sucks. There is no headband or even a hole to plug in headphones. I like the freebie Star Wars one Google was giving out better (which also has no headband).

VR on iPhone is pretty terrible. On a 6S the pixels are ridiculous. Youtube supports iOS as of like this week though, so at least there is some content. When I tried it a few months ago there was basically nothing.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I just upgraded my 5 to a 6s and would like to inform the thread that whomever placed the power button where it is either was bullied by a left handed person as a child or is envious of our greatness and used his engineering job at Apple to get revenge.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Top power buttons aren't ergonomically reasonable on phones beyond a certain size.

As for music on iDevices, the Apple Music part of the music experience is the only good part so far - anything that involves having to interact with iTunes is hot garbage. If they want to make it even better though that's nice of them. They should probably be investing in making iTunes not poo poo though.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
How comparable is the 6s battery to a Galaxy s6? Work is wanting me to go back to its for "reaons". I've been happy exploring Android after predominantly using iPhones the past 8 years, but looking forward to that sweet sweet visual voice mail and group I messaging.

Anyways, I'm a pretty heavy user and typically get to 40% by lunch on my s6. Hasn't bothered me because I'm usually always near a charger and it has fast charging. I know I should probably go 6s plus or 5se, but I think know the former might be too big and don't know if I can go back to such a small screen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use an s6 quite often and it drives me up the wall.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Haskell9 posted:

I just upgraded my 5 to a 6s and would like to inform the thread that whomever placed the power button where it is either was bullied by a left handed person as a child or is envious of our greatness and used his engineering job at Apple to get revenge.

Leftie here. You'll get used to it. If the phone is in my right hand I operate it with my thumb, in my right, my index finger.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use an s6 quite often and it drives me up the wall.

Because of poor battery life, or just android/touch whiz reasons?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mainly the latter. Battery life never feels too bad I'll admit.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I bought the new Moto G last fall and made a brief foray into the world of Android, one of the things I was most impressed with was that phone's phenomenal battery life. Well, most of the time--very occasionally it would pull the classic Android prank of getting extremely hot and slow and burning through the battery at a rate of like 2% a minute.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Sticking it in a lifeproof case increased its size to that of an uncased plus and my thumb no longer rests directly on the power button when holding it naturally, so hey fellow lefties with large man hands either get a plus if you hate cases or get a regular 6s and a case if you don't or a plus and a case if you don't mind your phone not easily fitting in a blue jeans front pocket.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Or, you know, have fingers that work better than a Lego hand.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So I've recently been gifted an i-phone 4, and now I'm in the process of setting it up. I already wiped it, set it up new with an id and all that crap, and now I'm trying to get my old music and pictures onto my new phone. Well, I kinda can't because apparently I'm not allowed to paste/drag any files from my PC directly into the storage of the i-phone that's connected to my pc. I guess I have to use some apple software to funnel it through because apple is garbage like that, but pls educate me if you can cause I never had to mess with any apple products before

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

So I've recently been gifted an i-phone 4, and now I'm in the process of setting it up. I already wiped it, set it up new with an id and all that crap, and now I'm trying to get my old music and pictures onto my new phone. Well, I kinda can't because apparently I'm not allowed to paste/drag any files from my PC directly into the storage of the i-phone that's connected to my pc. I guess I have to use some apple software to funnel it through because apple is garbage like that, but pls educate me if you can cause I never had to mess with any apple products before

Add your music files to your iTunes library. When you connect your phone to your computer, a little iPhone icon will appear in the top-left part of the iTunes window next to the media picker. Click this icon to open the phone management screen and click "Music" under "Settings" in the left column. This will let you pick which artists, albums, and playlists to sync; there is also an option to just sync everything. For pictures, if you're on OS X, add them to the Photos app and enable iCloud Photo Library on your Mac and phone. If you're on Windows, use iCloud for Windows and do the same.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thx pal I'll look into that stuff

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
How much more difficult is the battery replacement on the 6 than the 5?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you're not gonna be doing it yourself

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have an iPhone 5 that literally took a bath. I left it to dry for a few days. When I try to turn it on, the logo comes up then about 10 lines of code.

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is but is there any point in trying to get it fixed? Not much of a loss if it's dead. Was just a backup phone for the kid to play Goat Simulator and watch youtube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's dark mode at an OS level too.
That's interesting and points at OLED screens sooner rather than later. (Which isn't a surprise given the Apple Watch has one.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

iLikeMidgets posted:

I have an iPhone 5 that literally took a bath. I left it to dry for a few days. When I try to turn it on, the logo comes up then about 10 lines of code.

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is but is there any point in trying to get it fixed? Not much of a loss if it's dead. Was just a backup phone for the kid to play Goat Simulator and watch youtube.

Probably not but you might be able to sell it off for scrap at least. I think there's a goon in SA Mart buying broken phones so it's worth a shot sending an email to him. Some of the non-electronic parts might be reusable but the 5 is a really old model so who knows how much they're wanted still.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Haskell9 posted:

Agreed. It makes no sense and I haven't gotten used to it after six months of use.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Xabi posted:

Agreed. It makes no sense and I haven't gotten used to it after six months of use.

I'm sinister myself, but I don't have a problem with the button placement. What's the issue?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
If I lock it with my pointer finger, I hit a volume button with my thumb so, so often, trying to provide pressure on the opposite side. Which ends up just changing the volume and not locking the phone, so then I have to try again.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The phone software's actually set up to ignore presses on the lock button within half a second or so of adjusting the volume, to avoid exactly this problem in reverse. So it may help to ensure you're more definitive with the press on the lock button rather than catching the volume accidentally. I just tried and since I found this out, I instinctively hold the phone to avoid the volume buttons in either hand.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

scrath that, i gured it out

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2016

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Froist posted:

The phone software's actually set up to ignore presses on the lock button within half a second or so of adjusting the volume, to avoid exactly this problem in reverse. So it may help to ensure you're more definitive with the press on the lock button rather than catching the volume accidentally. I just tried and since I found this out, I instinctively hold the phone to avoid the volume buttons in either hand.

There's just almost nowhere else to put your thumb! I mean, yeah, it's obvious what the problem is. The solutions are just more awkward than what's apparently a pretty natural way for a leftie to push that button.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Long term I'd like to see them put more touch sensors on the front of the phone, like if I double tap a corner to turn it off kind of like how a double tap on the home button moves the screen downwards.

Basically a phone with no physical buttons would be rad if they could keep things usable.

I guess it would need some kind of button to power on a completely shutdown phone, just put it back on the top where it belongs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Long term I'd like to see them put more touch sensors on the front of the phone, like if I double tap a corner to turn it off kind of like how a double tap on the home button moves the screen downwards.

Basically a phone with no physical buttons would be rad if they could keep things usable.

I guess it would need some kind of button to power on a completely shutdown phone, just put it back on the top where it belongs.

I don't want this at all. Same issue as a touchscreen remote. I don't want to fatfinger basic operations or accidentally push fifty soft buttons like whenever I pick up an android phone with useless wraparound screen, rear trackpad, haptic tazer, lateral facial recognition and Lego block compatibility patch.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xzzy posted:

You can take my physical silence switch from my cold dead gloved hands

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you're not gonna be doing it yourself

I just did it and it really wasn't bad other than all of the microscopic screws.

Still have a bit of a dark spot on the screen but it is not nearly as pronounced as it was so hopefully that will dissipate.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

fourwood posted:

There's just almost nowhere else to put your thumb! I mean, yeah, it's obvious what the problem is. The solutions are just more awkward than what's apparently a pretty natural way for a leftie to push that button.

I just rest my thumb on the silence switch. It may be my case, though - it creates a bit of a nook on the switch that fits my thumb nicely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I never had trouble at all with the side power button? Do you people have crippling arthritis or something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I never had trouble at all with the side power button? Do you people have crippling arthritis or something?

Certain cases make the button hard to press. The solution is not to buy those cases.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This is probably a consecutive post from me talking bad about the Apple leather case, but my buttons never got any easier to press in that thing.

IMO Apple is doing it right with power button placement in 2016. Top-mounted works fine for a 4" phone, but not so well on the bigger models. My last Android phone was an HTC One M7, which shared dimensions with the iPhone 6 pretty well, and having the power button up top was one of my biggest gripes with it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I've never owned an Android phone and have never had an issue with my power button.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
If you are left handed, the placement sucks rear end. It might not be the same problem for right handed people, but the former placement was perfect so why change it?

edit: Just realised that the former placement might not have been perfect for right handed twats....

Xabi fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Because it no longer would've been perfect.

e: Amd left handed people are all weirdos anyway. Voting for Bernie Sanders and eating quinoa out of a yogurt tube.