Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

foozwak posted:

The last patch, which is how the game comes from Steam and GOG, fixed some MP stuff but introduced the bug in SP where enemies can see through things they shouldn't, like tents and such. Depending on the difficulty they'll still be able to see you from pretty far away, but not as much as with the patch. To get it back to the way it should be before the patch you have a bunch of options, but I would suggest the AMD patches first. They add a tiny bit more to the game and make it look a bit better. You can find the patches and clear instructions here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Far_Cry

You might run into a bug with the patches where on a couple of levels where textures come up missing, I just uninstalled the extra content patch for those levels and put it back after.

Also add "e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = "100.000000"" and "e_vegetation_min_size = "0.000000"" in system.cfg in your main FarCry dir to get rid of the ugly pop-in sprites.

I wouldn't play anything past medium difficulty if you want to have fun. What exactly a slog is kinda up to interpretation, it's a 12 year old game and it shows. Outside of a few specific are-you-loving-kidding-me encounters with the slicey trigens in inside areas I didn't mind them, but the game generally keeps you on your toes anyway. Use flashbangs and the shotgun against the small jumpy slicy trigens if you can.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I assume there haven't been any full update mods ala KOTOR2 and Deus Ex, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'm not sure on good tutorials, so I'll just link some ones I used to get started.

Learned how to add borders and whatnots in this one.

Have the player do what we won't: Go outside.

IMPORTANT THING IF YOU WANT TO DO MONSTER DEATH EVENTS

Skybox tricks. Also useful for custom skies.

Other than that, it should be easy to make your cyberdemon megawad.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know why, but after playing Doom 4, Trailblazer 1.3 and replaying a bunch of vanilla Doom 1, I'm finding Project Brutality way less fun to play. :(

Trailblazer is fun! It seems rather...unbalanced though (since it leaves you with vanilla enemies). So, I'm going to save that mod for those super packed/really difficult mods that are just plain unfun with normal/Brutal DooM. Thanks for the recommend

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Man, why the hell does GOG not have the Soldier of Fortune games? I have a sudden urge to replay SoF1 and de-limb mooks with the shotgun.

Stop being greedy shits, Activision. :(

The IsoZone has downloads for both SoF 1&2. Community edition 6.1 for the first, second one is just the raw ISO files. You'll need to grab a crack off of GameCopyWorld to run that one properly. My SoF installs were setup like this and I can verify they're virus free. Obviously this poo poo is :filez:, but given both games are effectively abandonware, I doubt me saying openly what to do is a big deal.

EDIT: SoF2's HUD is a little hosed if you force it to run in 1080p and you'll need to grab a fix for that as well.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

widespread posted:

I'm not sure on good tutorials, so I'll just link some ones I used to get started.

Learned how to add borders and whatnots in this one.

Have the player do what we won't: Go outside.

IMPORTANT THING IF YOU WANT TO DO MONSTER DEATH EVENTS

Skybox tricks. Also useful for custom skies.

Other than that, it should be easy to make your cyberdemon megawad.

Awesome, I'll give these a look after work. Thanks a ton!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Morter posted:

Trailblazer is fun! It seems rather...unbalanced though (since it leaves you with vanilla enemies). So, I'm going to save that mod for those super packed/really difficult mods that are just plain unfun with normal/Brutal DooM. Thanks for the recommend

Mix it with Colourful Hell if you're feel like inviting chaos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think this picture alone is worth a thousand words for new doom mappers:

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I assume there haven't been any full update mods ala KOTOR2 and Deus Ex, correct?

The only major mod I've tried was FCAM, but I didn't care for it. Didn't seem to change much of the fundamentals at all, didn't look noticeably better to my eyes, and changed some small things like some sounds with terrible canned sound effects for some bizarre reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

The IsoZone has downloads for both SoF 1&2. Community edition 6.1 for the first, second one is just the raw ISO files. You'll need to grab a crack off of GameCopyWorld to run that one properly. My SoF installs were setup like this and I can verify they're virus free. Obviously this poo poo is :filez:, but given both games are effectively abandonware, I doubt me saying openly what to do is a big deal.

EDIT: SoF2's HUD is a little hosed if you force it to run in 1080p and you'll need to grab a fix for that as well.

I can't imagine they run particularly well on Windows 10 out of the box, though, do they?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to make maps too but I will probably have to wait until after I move in a couple of weeks :argh:

Actually two things I'd be interested in doing with y'all goons are:

1: Multiplayer Doom/Quake/UT/whatever
2: Make a wad of whatever probably lovely crap we can attempt with Doom Builder

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

A goon megawad would be really fun, I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Using the Doom Builder tutorial, I have learned how to use (most of) the tools and made my first playable Doom level. It has a chainsaw and a demon to kill in it and everything! This is either the start of something wonderful or horrible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think a goon community WAD would be pretty good times. Could be tricky trying to agree on any sort of theme or rules or even which order the maps should be played in though.

Just make it a hodgepodge?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I can't imagine they run particularly well on Windows 10 out of the box, though, do they?

SoF1 runs flawlessly on Windows 10 so long as you use the Community Edition 6.1 installer I already mentioned. SoF2 will run on a clean install w/ a crack, but you may encounter a few minor problems, up to and including issues that affect ALL Quake 3 Engine games. Any issues you do encounter for either game are documented, with fixes, on these two pages:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Soldier_of_Fortune
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Soldier_of_Fortune_II:_Double_Helix

Personally, the only issue I ran into with SoF2 is the HUD being cut off in 1080p, but there is a fix for that.

EDIT: The SoF2 ISO files may not actually be in .ISO format, in which case you'll need to download and install a third-party mounting program instead of using Windows 10's built-in mounting feature.

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 20, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GlitchThief posted:

Are there any good tutorials I should start with or should I just jump in and start filling square spaces full of cyberdemons?

I've seen that one before; it's pretty good even if the author is a pokemon:

https://eev.ee/blog/2015/12/19/you-should-make-a-doom-level-part-1/

Also, bookmark these sites:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Entryway
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Make a wad of whatever probably lovely crap we can attempt with Doom Builder
So DUMP3, then

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I think a goon community WAD would be pretty good times. Could be tricky trying to agree on any sort of theme or rules or even which order the maps should be played in though.

I wonder if we could agree on a coordinator to make some of those calls. I'd like some liberty to try out level design, but for the most part I'm cool with working with some prompts and notes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:siren: I now know how to create a door and how to make keycards. Watch the gently caress out, Id, I'm coming for your jobs. :siren:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Thyrork posted:

Mix it with Colourful Hell if you're feel like inviting chaos.

Whoa neat. Out of curiosity, do stronger enemies drop anything extra (more ammo/health/chances for an artifact)? Or does it just randomly make enemies tougher.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

So DUMP3, then

Yeah, this stuff has already happened twice and will likely happen again whenever term wants to organise the next DUMP.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

SoF1 runs flawlessly on Windows 10 so long as you use the Community Edition 6.1 installer I already mentioned.

Awesome. :dance:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

I wonder if we could agree on a coordinator to make some of those calls. I'd like some liberty to try out level design, but for the most part I'm cool with working with some prompts and notes.

We could say that its designed for pistol starts and that you can play the levels 'out of order' if you want, so there wouldn't be much reason to argue over the order.

Electing somebody as an arbitrator would probably be a good idea too.

And then maybe have like a vote on things like theme? And probably just stick to stock Doom 1 or Doom 2 or Heretic textures or something so it doesn't look completely bizarre when you get to the third map and start seeing goatse everywhere. (Yeah I don't trust some of you :cheeky:)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Whatever admin thought up the anti-spambot question on SoF1.org needs to be punched repeatedly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I think this picture alone is worth a thousand words for new doom mappers:

And I can tell you that that sector with the barrel has less height and that the "upper" and the "lower" textures are really just the backside of that sector's wall textures.

But that see-thru gate actually has me stumped in how it works.

CJacobs posted:

:siren: I now know how to create a door and how to make keycards. Watch the gently caress out, Id, I'm coming for your jobs. :siren:

Good. Now make it so when you kill the Cyberdemon, another Cyberdemon enters.

Zaphod42 posted:

Master Levels, but with really bad levels instead.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CJacobs posted:

I downloaded Doom Builder. God help me.
Save yourself some trouble and use GZDoom Builder, it is basically Doom Builder 3 but the author refuses to change the name for some baffling reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

widespread posted:

But that see-thru gate actually has me stumped in how it works.

Its just a texture with alpha! Its pretty much a wall with holes in it :)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

We could say that its designed for pistol starts and that you can play the levels 'out of order' if you want, so there wouldn't be much reason to argue over the order.

Electing somebody as an arbitrator would probably be a good idea too.

And then maybe have like a vote on things like theme? And probably just stick to stock Doom 1 or Doom 2 or Heretic textures or something so it doesn't look completely bizarre when you get to the third map and start seeing goatse everywhere. (Yeah I don't trust some of you :cheeky:)

You could make a pretty good, enterable goatse hallway with the stock Doom flesh textures I think

A walk-in goatse, if you will

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just a texture with alpha! Its pretty much a wall with holes in it :)

Oh okay then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Linguica posted:

Save yourself some trouble and use GZDoom Builder, it is basically Doom Builder 3 but the author refuses to change the name for some baffling reason.

I have now done this and the interface is certainly snazzier.

widespread posted:

Good. Now make it so when you kill the Cyberdemon, another Cyberdemon enters.

I am still learning how to do logic stuff but I will make sure that every campaign I make has a 2-stage cyberdemon final boss complete with wrestling match bells.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I am still learning how to do logic stuff but I will make sure that every campaign I make has a 2-stage cyberdemon final boss complete with wrestling match bells.

I give up, I can't beat this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

widespread posted:

And I can tell you that that sector with the barrel has less height and that the "upper" and the "lower" textures are really just the backside of that sector's wall textures.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you mean to say, they actually aren't! You specifically set upper and lower textures, separate from the "wall" texture (by which I assume you mean the midtexture, i.e. the default wall).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Morter posted:

Whoa neat. Out of curiosity, do stronger enemies drop anything extra (more ammo/health/chances for an artifact)? Or does it just randomly make enemies tougher.

Piles of health pickups are very common, occasionally powerups and weapons drop too. You'll need them. :unsmigghh:

Shadow Hog posted:

So DUMP3, then

Yeah, you goons should get in on Term when/if he does another DUMP, or passes it to another duder to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you mean to say, they actually aren't! You specifically set upper and lower textures, separate from the "wall" texture (by which I assume you mean the midtexture, i.e. the default wall).

I think you're misunderstanding him, he said textures not texture. So he's pointing out that its just a middle, upper and lower texture which are the backside of the linedef where that room starts, which is how it works (and the same thing you're saying too)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you're misunderstanding him, he said textures not texture. So he's pointing out that its just a middle, upper and lower texture which are the backside of the linedef where that room starts, which is how it works (and the same thing you're saying too)

Well, to be fair, without seeing the editor view we don't know if what we're seeing is the front or back side of the linedef :goonsay:

(I take your point)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

widespread posted:

Master Levels, but with really bad levels instead.

I can't believe no one said this first, but: The Awful Levels for Doom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

I can't believe no one said this first, but: The Awful Levels for Doom.

:perfect:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Somehow I have had the most fun so far making a room that is at the moment totally empty, but with a big light in the middle the casts shadows I plopped down myself. This is just fun and zen to gently caress around with in general, maybe I will eventually get around to putting down imps to fight or something. It really is like I have my own Doom Engine Zen Garden playset or something.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Picked up the first Shadow Warrior novel again after forgetting about it. Lo Wang proceeds to have a foursome with three sisters, and drops the wash wang line. Immediate reminder that a guy who is writing on the same level as I was in 6th grade is a published author.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there an installer for a stable version of GZDoom Builder or is the SVN version in a zip file the only way to get it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Somehow I have had the most fun so far making a room that is at the moment totally empty, but with a big light in the middle the casts shadows I plopped down myself. This is just fun and zen to gently caress around with in general, maybe I will eventually get around to putting down imps to fight or something. It really is like I have my own Doom Engine Zen Garden playset or something.

For someone who just downloaded DB a little while ago, you already seem to have a better grasp on aesthetics than half the DUMP 2 entrants. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The SVN version is already compiled so there's no installer necessary, you just run the exe after extracting it and it works. Or at least, that's what happened for me.

JerryLee posted:

For someone who just downloaded DB a little while ago, you already seem to have a better grasp on aesthetics than half the DUMP 2 entrants. :v:

Who knew my amateur architecture college course would come in handy!

edit: Doom Builder reminds me of Google Sketchup, but with dismemberment and demons and palsma plasma guns.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 20, 2016