Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

gently caress body work - more specifically: gently caress the body shop that resprayed this car and used the most heinous double sided tape to affix the side mouldings.

I finally got all of it off. (That's what she said.)

Tested out Corroseal on a few spots that will be meeting Mr. Angle Grinder on Tuesday.

Seems to work perfectly - all the rust turned to manganese within 15 minutes.

As promised, here are the new engine mounts. DrakeriderCa was right, gently caress those things. Such a pain in the rear end to install with the engine still in the car.

Old mounts:

I don't have any pictures of the new tranny mount installed - so here's one from the manufacturer (LRB Speed):

Half of all the LED lights are installed.

194's in all side markers.

1157's in the front turn signals.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to try and tackle the tail lights. The plan is to break them apart and pull the coloured lenses. Clean everything. Put the clear cover back on and cover it in red film (Chinese Lamin-X). Then install all the Chinese LED bulbs. In addition, we now have everything fastener wise to install the fender flares. So that will hopefully happen as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, why do rotaries even have engine mounts?

I didn't think they vibrated like a reciprocating engine does. More like a tiny wobble.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Man, why do rotaries even have engine mounts?

I didn't think they vibrated like a reciprocating engine does. More like a tiny wobble.

Based on the vibrations now supposedly transmitted to the chassis by these new mounts, I would say you are correct. Driving the car now feels no different vibration wise versus with the stock 138k mile rubber mounts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Something has to absorb the kick when it hits spark cut.

I feel bad for how much I enjoy hearing that your car also has chronic extremely expensive issues.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are those the princess auto LEDs or is the lighting now worth more than the car

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture

McTinkerson posted:

Challenges[list]
[*]Initial / Pre-Trip ( May 14, 2016 )
  1. Drag Race
  2. Auto-X
  3. 0-100-0 (in km/h you heathens)
This is the cut off date for each team to have their vehicle to a point they consider drivable and should provide enough stress for a decent shake down run prior to the actual rally.

As a lurker of this thread this being only a week away is pretty exciting

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Are those the princess auto LEDs or is the lighting now worth more than the car

Those are super Chinese drop shipped LEDs, all 30 of them were $40. They're also lighting related, thus safety and excluded from the $1000 budget however included in the flip profit points.

Sweet Chili Heat is ready for the performance tests. I guess technically we should also have our wheel spacers but those won't be ordered until we sell more parts off the parts car and the flares are installed so we can measure required width. I'm guessing we'll need 65mm spacers (RIP our wheel bearings).

What's the status on Hellica and Cool Ranch?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

Those are super Chinese drop shipped LEDs, all 30 of them were $40. They're also lighting related, thus safety and excluded from the $1000 budget however included in the flip profit points.

Sweet Chili Heat is ready for the performance tests. I guess technically we should also have our wheel spacers but those won't be ordered until we sell more parts off the parts car and the flares are installed so we can measure required width. I'm guessing we'll need 65mm spacers (RIP our wheel bearings).

What's the status on Hellica and Cool Ranch?

I need to get some axle shaft seals on the inner CVs so we don't lose all our transmission's gear oil.
We also should REALLY do the timing belt, it's 130ish thousand km and 16 years old.

Switch is unable to make it for the 14th due to family commitments.
Also I have a blacksmith guild meeting in the morning of the 14th, when/where are we meeting? My place? I'm relatively close to Strathmore and 1500's racetrack.

Hmm. Whoops? Guess we should reschedule for Sunday. Or whatever, you guys are welcome to stay the night at my place if necessary.

http://www.ckrc.com/calgary-race-club-schedule.asp

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The May 14th date was set way back in January. It was a ballpark and best guess at the time. It by no means is set in stone and based on availability of pretty much everyone in addition to the vehicle completeness, should probably be moved.

Edit: Further progress from team Sweet Chili Heat.

The weather was once again quite nice so the tail lights were bumped down on the list. Instead, the fender flares were mounted!

Eyeballing the wheel gap - 50mm spacers should actually bring the side wall flush with the flares.

This also happened:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 9, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
So goddamn rugged :canada:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm not used to seeing your street free of its twenty centimeter ice blanket.

Just found out we're doing a weekend maintenance outage on the 14th, and I'm on call. Awesome.

Well poo poo, we'll probably be done by mid afternoon I guess.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Due to vehicle completeness and team member availability problems - the May 14 deadline has been pushed back to mid June.

Edit:
I'm insane and have apparently started a side business flipping RX7s. Sweet chili heat is getting new seats, a steering box brace from techno toy tuning and new headlight housings.

I totalled up the cost of all upgrades dumped into this FB I just bought and it's surpassed $4000.....the PO never even drove it since they were installed.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Unfortunate that tomorrow is a no-go, but given what's been happening it's for the best.

Side news: I was drunk amazoning a couple weeks ago and got presents for all the teams.

Hand tally counters for each car, so we can add up all our ricer flybys during the week :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Side news: I was drunk amazoning a couple weeks ago and got presents for all the teams.

Hand tally counters for each car, so we can add up all our ricer flybys during the week :v:

Those are amazing! This is going to be so rad!

Edit:

More Sweet Chili Heat updates! DrakerideCa came over yesterday and we got a lot accomplished. Some of which we even have pictures of! (We do not have pictures of the Techno Toy Tuning aluminum wrinkle finish door panels.) We also got the fender mirrors installed, the light bar mounted on the roof basket and the power windows as well adjusted as they're going to get.

Here is what the car looks like now:

I also totally forgot to install the T3 steering box brace yesterday. That's in now and I'm about to head out and test it.

We also mocked up the remaining body work. I pressure washed the louvers and they're ready for paint now. The wing needs a little more prep.

We also sold the spare tail lights for $100. So we now are 1/3 there to being able to afford the last bit of kit: our 60mm wheel spacers.

Edit 2: Drove Sweet Chili Heat to work today - 7 thumbs up on the drive there, 20+ on the drive home. The steering box brace is actually noticeable. There used to be gradual stiffening from the free play on center to a firm resistance when turning the wheel. Now there is the previous free play and then immediately firm feedback. That slow transition has been completely eliminated.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 17, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
APWI can suck our balls

gently caress

gently caress

No wonder that poo poo wouldn't seat past the snap ring.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sucks, but it's still kind of funny. How does that even happen.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Man that took me a minute. Only way I see that happening is if it's two pieces.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

To balance out the shittyness that is that loving axle - here's something awesome.

Our Asahi "sponsorship" package has arrived. HUGE kudos to Grant Shaw with Beverage Concepts International out of Burnaby, BC.

Total tally:
  • Two beer tap handles - now that I see them, leaning towards the clear one as the shift knob (The other will be used on my future kegerator)
  • Three foil decals - two going on the rear quarters with the third probably going on my future kegerator or beer fridge
  • Two hats - stickers must remain attached and worn flat billed
  • Two tshirts - must be worn with the sleeves rolled up with a pack of smokes tucked in
  • Four sunglasses - must be worn at all times, even at night
  • Five Asahi pens - will live in glove box and be handed out to interested parties during the rally
  • Ten? key chain bottle openers - will live in glove box and be handed out to interested parties during the rally
  • Six year of the monkey good luck Emas - each team gets one for their rear view mirror (The remainder have already been claimed by myself and DrakeriderCa for our vehicles.)

I also need some goons to chime in and confirm that my fiance is in fact amazing for letting me plan and do this - she doesn't believe me when I say that she's awesome and other goons significant others wouldn't be this chill with such an endeavor.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I can definitely confirm the last sentence

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

I also need some goons to chime in and confirm that my fiance is in fact amazing for letting me plan and do this - she doesn't believe me when I say that she's awesome and other goons significant others wouldn't be this chill with such an endeavor.

Chiming in for exactly that. Your future-wife is absolutely amazing and awesome and you're a lucky, lucky bastard to have found her. I've not (yet) met either of you, but clearly everything about this is completely fantastic.

McTinkerson posted:

Here is what the car looks like now:

The plan is still to sell this magnificent beast after the rally (assuming it survives), right? 'Cause you can consider me interested.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

To balance out the shittyness that is that loving axle - here's something awesome.

Our Asahi "sponsorship" package has arrived. HUGE kudos to Grant Shaw with Beverage Concepts International out of Burnaby, BC.

Total tally:
  • Two beer tap handles - now that I see them, leaning towards the clear one as the shift knob (The other will be used on my future kegerator)
  • Three foil decals - two going on the rear quarters with the third probably going on my future kegerator or beer fridge
  • Two hats - stickers must remain attached and worn flat billed
  • Two tshirts - must be worn with the sleeves rolled up with a pack of smokes tucked in
  • Four sunglasses - must be worn at all times, even at night
  • Five Asahi pens - will live in glove box and be handed out to interested parties during the rally
  • Ten? key chain bottle openers - will live in glove box and be handed out to interested parties during the rally
  • Six year of the monkey good luck Emas - each team gets one for their rear view mirror (The remainder have already been claimed by myself and DrakeriderCa for our vehicles.)

:lol: @ those loving glasses. You just know they are going to be in most of the photos.

Let me see if I can dig up any tacky goodies if you are OK with trinkets and promo poo poo. I'll see if I can find any FAG bearings labelled stuff for you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

:lol: @ those loving glasses. You just know they are going to be in most of the photos.

Let me see if I can dig up any tacky goodies if you are OK with trinkets and promo poo poo. I'll see if I can find any FAG bearings labelled stuff for you.

I would also like tacky sponsorship items thanks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

One of you needs RB Tech or some other chinesium bearing company as a title sponsor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll lend you this for the trip

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

The May 14th date was set way back in January. It was a ballpark and best guess at the time. It by no means is set in stone and based on availability of pretty much everyone in addition to the vehicle completeness, should probably be moved.

Edit: Further progress from team Sweet Chili Heat.

The weather was once again quite nice so the tail lights were bumped down on the list. Instead, the fender flares were mounted!

Eyeballing the wheel gap - 50mm spacers should actually bring the side wall flush with the flares.

This also happened:

This is all amazing and my only regret is that you didn't pick Team Zesty Mordant instead

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No appropriate give aways sorry :(

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

The plan is still to sell this magnificent beast after the rally (assuming it survives), right? 'Cause you can consider me interested.

The last challenge is to flip the cars - so yes, they will absolutely be for sale in August.

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is all amazing and my only regret is that you didn't pick Team Zesty Mordant instead

The sweet chili heat was chosen due to it being a play on the "Karakuchi" of Asahi Super Dry's slogan.

Had we ended up with a Camaro or something else RWD and domestic then Zesty Mordant with a theme of Quebec hillbillies would have been a no brainer.

slidebite posted:

No appropriate give aways sorry :(

It's all good.
If any goons want to send us vinyl decals to augment the livery, they will end up on the car.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

That sucks, but it's still kind of funny. How does that even happen.

When I put it in, I guess it didn't get seated properly. It either twisted when I took it for a test drive, which seems rather unlikely to me what with the amazing torque of the thundering 2.2L motor, or it was built wrong.

Either way, switch suggested that's what the problem was regarding the leak and, like usual, he was right. Here are the rest of my images that helped me spot it. We dicked around with this thing for hours but we never saw it because it was coated in grease.

You can see the marks where we were trying to pound it into the splines, and where there actually was engagement because it's all shiny, which isn't exactly good. You can really see the misalignment in the first image.

Anyway, that motherfucker wouldn't get in here, which seems like it would be a straightforward and easy task. We did replace the shaft seal as well.

The new, new axle. Oddly enough, no ribs on the tulip to tap against to seat it.

The new spline ends are obviously two pieces pressed together, the guide end was not heat treated (or at least not at the same time) as the main part, note the difference in coloration.

gently caress it. She's in. Finally.

Put the ball joint back together, tucked the tie-rod end back into the hub, torqued everything and called it good enough.

I still need to adjust the passenger side e-brake a bit, refill the trans with oil (somehow), test drive it, and move it to the new garage for a timing belt job.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Have we got a tentative weekend in June for our shakedown?

The lift in my garage will be ready by the end of next week, so we can do repairs or whatever is necessary.

I'm unavailable from the 18-26th though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I have some availability issues too. I'll put it up on the g+

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

My availability is now totally up in the air for June. I hopefully will know either by Sunday May 29 or Thursday June 2.

Update Megapost incoming. Both for Sweet Chili Heat and Cool Ranch. Let's go in chronological order.

This past Sunday I gave team Cool Ranch a hand getting their chariot ready. Both DoritoPower and David (still need to get this guy an account) did 90% of the heavy lifting. I was there for information (since I've done most of what they needed to accomplish previously on other FB's) and documenting the progress for this thread (and the website).

First off were the front brakes. The first generation 7's have the rotor as part of the hub. Which is fantastic...

DoritoPower tackled those and David and I started on the back half of the car.

I tossed in the new rear hatch struts. The old ones were about as blown on Kastein's Fozs rear shocks. (Did I mess up the apostrophes there?)

David removed all decals off of the car (something DrakeriderCa and I have yet to accomplish).

Prior to my arrival, both DoritoPower and David changed the oil and plugs on the car. The plugs are now the sole shiny things in that engine bay. (They're going for the super sleeper look.)

All of the new un-dented front body work is now mounted as well. I kinda like the silver & grey mismatch actually. The plan is to also hang the new doors.

Which means removing the SA mirrors since they're much nicer than the FB ones. Unfortunately the screws holding the actual mirror base to the door were very very difficult to get to even with being able to rotate the mirror and were seized in place. They were also very soft and thus stripped immediately.

Next up David and I tackled the rear shocks. No pictures of the actual process but this is what we ended up with. The old ones were very much in need of replacement. I'm pretty sure the old rear hatch struts had more dampening left in them.

Here's DoritoPower installing the new wheel bearings into the hub/brake rotor. While the OG bearings still felt fine, this is very much a "while you're in there" kind of job.

The end result. Cool Ranch is now basically road worthy and ready for the rally (mechanically).

Today was new hood day for Sweet Chili Heat. There was an incident as previously mentioned with our cars hood and a suitable replacement was sourced (for free as a gift). It's quite nice.

Does however force our hand in one area. We no longer can run a giant all encompassing Asahi beer logo. Luckily we have that third 12" foil decal. Which fits perfectly on the scoop.

All that is now standing in our way from wrapping the whole car in brushed aluminium vinyl is the body work. 90% of all rust is ground down thanks to DoritoPowers angle grinder. Hopefully I'll get some more time Sunday to complete that and attack the body with the orbital sander to smooth out all of the sharp edges of the cracking paint in the suuuuuper lovely respray. After that, it's time to cut up the old rusted hood for sheet metal to patch all the holes. Both from rust and from removing the door mirrors and antenna.
The car will then be ready for vinyl.

The transmission, steering box and fuel tank were pulled from the donor and "sold" to a local CC class spec RX-7 racer. Still hasn't paid us (I'll be hassling him about the tomorrow/today). Once that's squared away it's time to order the 60mm wheel spacers and that's it. Everything for the car has been purchased and we're sitting right at our $1000 budget. I did have another guy interested in our second set of sun visors and our spare radiator for $120. Hopefully he gets back to me since that would allow us to buy the Asahi "Karakuchi" slogan for across our windshield and the "#SweetChiliHeat" across the rear wing for under our $1000 cap. Since livery, etc is technically excluded I'm not too worried but it would be great it we could keep everything under budget.

There is one more livery surprise that DrakeriderCa and I are keeping up our sleeve. It should be a pleasant surprise and will 100% increase our likelihood of becoming rolling probable cause. DoritoPower also had a genius idea for using a hard shell rifle case mounted on the side of our roof basket. It will involved me purchasing a beer bottle capping tool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sure hope you guys used a JIS screwdriver on those mirror screws. That's probably why they cammed out.

For whatever reason Mazda has the softest screws I've ever encountered.

With our axle disaster behind us, we are planning on throwing a timing belt on the Hellica tomorrow, and starting to plan the livery.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sure hope you guys used a JIS screwdriver on those mirror screws. That's probably why they cammed out.

For whatever reason Mazda has the softest screws I've ever encountered.

With our axle disaster behind us, we are planning on throwing a timing belt on the Hellica tomorrow, and starting to plan the livery.

Has a livery been decided on yet?

The car is already basically WRB.....

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

(555 tobacco sponsorship to supplement our alcohol livery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

We haven't decided yet. I invite lazy Photoshops of all kinds.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well we didn't get that done, but we got a start on it at least.

We drained and refilled the transmission with delicious redline gear oil, and I re-adjusted that e-brake on the passenger side. It's not perfect but at least it holds the car still now at rest.

Plus we took it for a fun little spin on the highway and re-tested the brakes and suspension, SSSwitch was driving this time so he can give his impressions but I think it's pretty decent now, much much better than it was when we bought it, at least.

We also got it moved into the barn, sure is nice having room all around it to work on stuff.

It's already getting filled with a lot of crap though. :v:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Yay! You got the trolley. If you were so inclined, lube up the casters really good and then grab a cheetah. You could probably ride it across your shop.

I got gently caress all done to Sweet Chili Heat today - I have however competed all work on the other RX-7. So all free time can now be once again devoted to the rally car.

Speaking of which, if any goons would like to hop on to this rally, that second FB I'm selling would be the ticket. Special goon TM2TW pricing. ( http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/1985-mazda-rx-7-gs-coupe-2-door/1169471148?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true )

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We haven't decided yet. I invite lazy Photoshops of all kinds.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

This made me scream internally, so you should totally do it. Or that on one side and this on the other:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trying to work with the original color for cost reasons, and keep it simple enough to make easily.

• Locked thread