Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I see them selling for $40-$60 on ebay right now. Now's your chance!

Did you list mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Eh I ain't that salty, I knew that it was being updated but I need a physical copy for this tournament. It isn't like I bought one of the £70 black books, and mango is a boss so I didn't have to buy the legions one. Can suck up the loss if I can't shift it on eBay.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

Did you list mine?

:drat:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Fingers crossed that tomorrow we get pre-orders on the solar auxilia/militia/knight red book.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

Eh I ain't that salty, I knew that it was being updated but I need a physical copy for this tournament. It isn't like I bought one of the £70 black books, and mango is a boss so I didn't have to buy the legions one. Can suck up the loss if I can't shift it on eBay.

I have no intention of selling mine. The Legions changes fit on a single sheet of notebook paper and for my Legion are few enough that I can even keep track in my head. Changes to the Army List will surely be more disruptive but even so I'll probably just add some post-it notes. I'm guessing at least 90% of entries will be completely untouched.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Fingers crossed that tomorrow we get pre-orders on the solar auxilia/militia/knight red book.

I want the new SoH transfers!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

I want the new SoH transfers!

Pretty sure it'll just be more pictures from Warhammer Fest!

Also that's kind of cool about the Custodes and Sisters:

quote:

Well, at Warhammer Fest, the FW guys said that they fused the Sisters of Silence and Custodes lists into a "Talons of The Emperor" with the idea that they could expand this selection with more unique armies and stuff that were under the direct command of the Emperor/Malcador.

That said, the Custodes portion of this new "army" will be fieldable as a 100% pure thing with no outside elements from other Talons of the Emperor Units whereas the Sisters of Silence won't be able to because they have a much more specialized application.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
FROM IRON COMETH HIGH POINT COSTS

These guys look sick, what a loving shame they need to be houseruled to not utterly gimp an army.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How many points would this be? Like 2500?
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Shield-of-the-Iron-Tyrant

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

1700ish.

I think they might be worth it in Zone Mortalis games, particularly big team games. And even in full games I think it's less that these guys are shockingly overcosted and more that the Castellax, the easiest comparison is undercosted even after its points increase. And that their role isn't particularly necessary in the sizes of games people see as typical.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Here's some content instead my usual poo poo posting. I spent the last week re-writing and consolidating the Victory is Vengeance, Tactical Strike, and Adepticon Tactical Strike rules into something to use for our league. The FW writing is really dense, scattered, and hard to follow so I tried to make it easy for people to read and figure out. We're going to play test it this weekend, but we'd love your feedback:

:siren: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing :siren:

It's 12 pages not counting some of the tables. List of biggest changes- added a 0-1 unit type called a 'lead element', you can mix and match from all lists, two more hero roles, added rules for odd numbers of players, limited campaigns to 3 turns, and just did a lot of housekeeping. This is a first draft and all feedback is welcome (or ideas for cool new roles, better balance, etc). I called it 'Lighting Strike' so it doesn't get confused with all the Tactical Strikes out there right now.

Sulecrist posted:

I think they might be worth it in Zone Mortalis games, particularly big team games. And even in full games I think it's less that these guys are shockingly overcosted and more that the Castellax, the easiest comparison is undercosted even after its points increase. And that their role isn't particularly necessary in the sizes of games people see as typical.

I dunno man, Castellax aren't the bees knees anymore. You're looking at 130 points a robot at this point. It was criminal before, but now it's pretty fair I think. You have to weigh them vs something like a Vorax. They are still one of the top 2 admech robots. The others kinda drag behind, but even the regular old Domitar is better and cheaper than the Iron Circle. They just have bad rules.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 20, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I have an Iron Warriors friend who might take two of these guys in 1250 points on our LOS-blocker-heavy table. I'm trying to think of a way to handle or even tarpit that that doesn't require a purpose-built deathstar or a skew and I'm at a loss. IDK man basically I think they might be really useful in low-points games, and possibly super high points as well. Automata are hard enough to deal with without 4+ invulnerables and forcing disordered charges, especially since the rest of the list is Astartes rather than Mechanicum.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Automata with low attacks and low WS are walking melee tarpits. You don't need a deathstar to tie them up, really. The Iron Circle especially- they have just 2 attacks and their shooting is pitiful. At least with Castellax you can be scared by their range and -1 to cover saves.

At low points though I can see them being harder to deal with. If he takes 2 and a lord that's easily 500 points. I think you can block him pretty handily with something like a terminator squad or just some breachers with melta bombs. Spend the rest of your points on things to out-shoot him.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

They are still one of the top 2 admech robots. The others kinda drag behind, but even the regular old Domitar is better and cheaper than the Iron Circle. They just have bad rules.

Arlatax are really up there now. But it's looking like the FA slot is going to be crowded: Arlatax, Vorax and soon Vulturax :(

ax me about my automatas!

e.

BULBASAUR posted:

Here's some content instead my usual poo poo posting. I spent the last week re-writing and consolidating the Victory is Vengeance, Tactical Strike, and Adepticon Tactical Strike rules into something to use for our league. The FW writing is really dense, scattered, and hard to follow so I tried to make it easy for people to read and figure out. We're going to play test it this weekend, but we'd love your feedback:

:siren: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ahdfeBukDCz8DLBs_PUudfnOiyCAO3U0gqLjW_IwYZU/edit?usp=sharing :siren:

It's 12 pages not counting some of the tables. List of biggest changes- added a 0-1 unit type called a 'lead element', you can mix and match from all lists, two more hero roles, added rules for odd numbers of players, limited campaigns to 3 turns, and just did a lot of housekeeping. This is a first draft and all feedback is welcome (or ideas for cool new roles, better balance, etc). I called it 'Lighting Strike' so it doesn't get confused with all the Tactical Strikes out there right now.

This owns. And reminds me that I have a half-finished Zone Mortalis "quick guide & reference" written someone that I really should wrap up.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Automata with low attacks and low WS are walking melee tarpits. You don't need a deathstar to tie them up, really. The Iron Circle especially- they have just 2 attacks and their shooting is pitiful. At least with Castellax you can be scared by their range and -1 to cover saves.

At low points though I can see them being harder to deal with. If he takes 2 and a lord that's easily 500 points. I think you can block him pretty handily with something like a terminator squad or just some breachers with melta bombs. Spend the rest of your points on things to out-shoot him.

Ten Breachers with melta bombs is a coinflip to actually handle them and will take several rounds either way, and my terminators are all painted as Justaerin and would get eaten alive by these guys. (Also, five regular terminators with power fists will die to two Automata much faster than they can wound them, and they've got morale to worry about.) For the tarpit, bargain Breachers plus Vexilla might hold out for most of the game, but even naked they aren't exactly cheap. Precision shots from a suicide squad of Reavers might work, the IW centurion they're guarding would be tricky to scalpel out, but that's probably still a decent option. I might run the math on a snippy Leviathan, which would be awesome to play out on the table even if it's probably a bad idea.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

I dunno man, Castellax aren't the bees knees anymore. You're looking at 130 points a robot at this point. It was criminal before, but now it's pretty fair I think. You have to weigh them vs something like a Vorax. They are still one of the top 2 admech robots. The others kinda drag behind, but even the regular old Domitar is better and cheaper than the Iron Circle. They just have bad rules.

Vorax and Arlatax in Legio Cybernetica :whatup:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Ten Breachers with melta bombs is a coinflip to actually handle them and will take several rounds either way
Not if they can only use one meltabomb each round. :downs:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Automata with low attacks and low WS are walking melee tarpits. You don't need a deathstar to tie them up, really. The Iron Circle especially- they have just 2 attacks and their shooting is pitiful.

This part really busts my balls, sure the guy they are guarding is probably never going to die unless you challenge him out, but the cost for their offensive power is just :eyepop: each one is almost as much as a 5 man terminator squad and swings as much as one dude, and they STILL only move 6" a turn and there is nothing you can do about that. They cant even be put in a stormbird or mastadon. They are cool as poo poo so I will run them because of the rad factor but little else.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm sure they'll update Tormentor to let it carry 6 of them plus Perty. So you can give them an equally priced ride.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hencoe posted:

This part really busts my balls, sure the guy they are guarding is probably never going to die unless you challenge him out, but the cost for their offensive power is just :eyepop: each one is almost as much as a 5 man terminator squad and swings as much as one dude, and they STILL only move 6" a turn and there is nothing you can do about that. They cant even be put in a stormbird or mastadon. They are cool as poo poo so I will run them because of the rad factor but little else.

Is there something preventing them from running? That would absolutely change my assessment of them, but I didn't see anything.

My thought is, you send two and a bargain Centurion to contest a deep objective, and upon arrival they just stand there and suck up massive amounts of high-value attacks. (A ten-man plasma gun support squad blazing away on full auto doesn't kill one in an average turn, it takes 24 melta bomb attacks or 11 twin linked lascannon shots to kill one, charging them is disordered, etc.) But that's no good if they don't run.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 20, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Battle-Automata rule. Can't run unless you run with Anacharis Scoria (Part of the reason he is SO loving GOOD.)

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Sulecrist posted:

Is there something preventing them from running? That would absolutely change my assessment of them, but I didn't see anything.

My thought is, you send two and a bargain Centurion to contest a deep objective, and upon arrival they just stand there and suck up massive amounts of high-value attacks. (A ten-man plasma gun support squad blazing away on full auto doesn't kill one in an average turn, it takes 24 melta bomb attacks or 11 twin linked lascannon shots to kill one, charging them is disordered, etc.) But that's no good if they don't run.

need someone with a cortex controller, so basically a forgelord or warsmith.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

^^^^^^^
Ah, gotcha. Thought it was any IW character. (You're right, it isn't.)

DJ Dizzy posted:

Battle-Automata rule. Can't run unless you run with Anacharis Scoria (Part of the reason he is SO loving GOOD.)

I thought the can't run/sweep rule was part of programmed behavior and neutralized with a cortex controller?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Goddamn I'm glad I don't have to deal with any of this robit nonsense.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

^^^^^^^
Ah, gotcha. Thought it was any IW character. (You're right, it isn't.)

I thought the can't run/sweep rule was part of programmed behavior and neutralized with a cortex controller?

Deeeerp. I'm an idiot. Disregard.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
100 percent custodes list? sorry, admech, you're never getting finished

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Goddamn I'm glad I don't have to deal with any of this robit nonsense.

BULBASAUR, wishmaster, grants your wish this weekend

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I've been airbrushing for a couple weeks now, and so far I have to say stick with Vallejo air paint. I tried Citadel air ironbreaker and it was horribly thin out of the bottle. Also, why the hell would they not put it in a dropper bottle?

For mixing, P3 responds well to about a 7:1 mix while GW brush paints are so inconsistent that I couldn't even begin. Anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1.

I picked up Createx transparent red since I happened to be at Hobby Lobby and used that in place of Minitaire Ghost blood red (if you haven't figured it out I'm painting 1k Sons) and it's ok. I have all of the models taking a Purple Power bath right now as I was completely unhappy with the job I did and the Minitaire paint will be in this weekend.

I'm still using the Masters airbrush but I'm considering upgrading to a Badger Patriot, the brush itself doesn't seem bad however I don't think the trigger stop thing actually does what it's supposed to. No matter how far in or out I have it screwed in nothing changes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I picked up Createx transparent red since I happened to be at Hobby Lobby and used that in place of Minitaire Ghost blood red (if you haven't figured it out I'm painting 1k Sons) and it's ok. I have all of the models taking a Purple Power bath right now as I was completely unhappy with the job I did and the Minitaire paint will be in this weekend.
Oh that's nice, I was going to pick up some of that to try out. Was it the AutoAir Candy or the Transparent?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of admech has there been a book that collects the paint schemes of the forge worlds or is it scattered all over?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's all over the place. I still can't decide what to paint mine either.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

speaking of admech has there been a book that collects the paint schemes of the forge worlds or is it scattered all over?

The HH masterclass has a guide on how to paint their transparent red

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Oh that's nice, I was going to pick up some of that to try out. Was it the AutoAir Candy or the Transparent?

Transparent

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The FW guys seem undecided how to continue their model masterclass series, but the guy that comes up with their paint recipes told me he wants to do a traitor book and a loyalist book for the legion painting guides. I did a video review of the Horus Heresy Model Masterclass book if you want to see what it's like:

https://youtu.be/kKNqrcCgQKc

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

BULBASAUR, wishmaster, grants your wish this weekend
Riddly diddly diddly diddly

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Hey goons, which looks better, arm down or arm up?

I think that arm up looks more menacing and is what I had originally planned, but I like the way the shoulder pads sit with the arm down.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Up, without a doubt.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Up is best, down he looks like he's really unmotivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Kharn comes with a 25mm base. Should he be based on that, or on a 32mm base now?