Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Started a Kobold Assassin with the intention of going blowguns/crossbows and Fedhas.

Quaffed my biggest stack of potions (3) when poisoned by a snake and it's XP (yay!).

Now my stealth is at 10.5 and I'm wondering if I should just take the stabbing train? I have two more of these potions to go. My team already has an Ash and a dith win though. Thoughts?

edit: I guess I could just go Trog. We somehow don't have a Trog win yet. Anti-magic quick blade is a lot of fun.

edit2: Well now I feel like I should use these potions before taking another step and it's time for some decision paralysis.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

odiv posted:

Started a Kobold Assassin with the intention of going blowguns/crossbows and Fedhas.

Quaffed my biggest stack of potions (3) when poisoned by a snake and it's XP (yay!).

Now my stealth is at 10.5 and I'm wondering if I should just take the stabbing train? I have two more of these potions to go. My team already has an Ash and a dith win though. Thoughts?

edit: I guess I could just go Trog. We somehow don't have a Trog win yet. Anti-magic quick blade is a lot of fun.

edit2: Well now I feel like I should use these potions before taking another step and it's time for some decision paralysis.

You can compromise with crossbow/Trog. Definitely you should use the potions immediately.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm just stuck figuring out what to train now.

Fighting/xbow/dodging I guess. I haven't even found a crossbow yet, but I'm on D:3, so.

edit: Just went with fighting/dodging for now. If I find a good weapon I can xp dump into it. Now Trogging it up.

60HP Kobold on D:3 is pretty fun.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 20, 2016

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

World Famous W posted:

runrest_stop_message += *message*

force_more_message += *message*

Where, init.txt?

e: yup, got it working. Thanks!

Maha fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 20, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, a gnoll on D:2 just dropped a whip of pain

Is this useful to a Trog character at all or will Trog get mad at me for training necro to use it?

e: welp, ran into Menkaure and a player ghost with blinking at the same time, :rip:

e2: GDA on D:2 and I'm playing a MiBe :stare:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 20, 2016

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just had the best character I've ever had, a Minotaur Berserker who found +6 and +5 rings of protection, +5 scale mail, a +2 shield and a +4 amulet of reflection by the time he got to D3.

I was on the third floor of the swamp when I ran in to Louise who banished me to the Abyss before I got in melee range.

I had a hell of a time surviving the Abyss, I wandered forever without finding an exit and had my first near death experience when I got surrounded by bone dragons after one of those floating stars had mutated the poo poo out of me. My teleport wand finally triggered when I was down to 13hp, I tried to heal up which is hard to do in the Abyss but finally managed to top myself off, found another scary fight but earned myself a portal out of there right before it got bad.

Then I got killed by Louise within 2 turns of escaping :(

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh, a gnoll on D:2 just dropped a whip of pain

Is this useful to a Trog character at all or will Trog get mad at me for training necro to use it?

e: welp, ran into Menkaure and a player ghost with blinking at the same time, :rip:

e2: GDA on D:2 and I'm playing a MiBe :stare:

Trog will get mad at you - it would be great on most characters if a useful Necromancy spell existed, and often quite good even if not (as long as _any_ necromancy spell existed).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So how do people usually skill spellcasters? I'm back to working on GrEE, and I'm not sure when it's okay if ever for me to start working on defensive skills instead of spellcasting stuff. Like at the beginning pump Spellcasting/Earth Magic/Conjurations until I have ~25 MP and LRD and Stone Arrow castable, fine. That's usually done by like D:6. But by the time I hit Lair, hopefully Vehumet is giving me Bolts and/or Iron Shot, and I want to get those castable for tougher poo poo in Lair:8, as well as keep getting more Spellcasting for spell slots.

Somewhere in there I want to fit in a weapon skill, Dodging/Armour/Fighting, and maybe Evocations, as well as any other spell schools that might be relevant (Charms if I find Swiftness early, Fire Magic period, etc etc.) I'm not sure what to do, it's kind of a mire and I feel like I'm loving up no matter what I do.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

After 100s of splats I finally got two runes and made it to vaults 5, where I immediately died because it'd been so long I forgot about stair locking

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This statement transcribed basically unmodified.

"Okay, press shift-A. ...you got cold resistance and passive mapping from malmutators.

gently caress you."

Edit And won without seeing a single pan lord on ascent. :psyboom:

Edit2 It was my 29th game. Ever.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 21, 2016

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

So how do people usually skill spellcasters? I'm back to working on GrEE, and I'm not sure when it's okay if ever for me to start working on defensive skills instead of spellcasting stuff. Like at the beginning pump Spellcasting/Earth Magic/Conjurations until I have ~25 MP and LRD and Stone Arrow castable, fine. That's usually done by like D:6. But by the time I hit Lair, hopefully Vehumet is giving me Bolts and/or Iron Shot, and I want to get those castable for tougher poo poo in Lair:8, as well as keep getting more Spellcasting for spell slots.

Somewhere in there I want to fit in a weapon skill, Dodging/Armour/Fighting, and maybe Evocations, as well as any other spell schools that might be relevant (Charms if I find Swiftness early, Fire Magic period, etc etc.) I'm not sure what to do, it's kind of a mire and I feel like I'm loving up no matter what I do.

As GrEE of Vehumet, I would focus on Earth Magic, Conj and maybe some Fighting. But I would change course on getting a book or Vehumet gift with a strong midgame spell in a different school. Generally you need a strong midgame spell (or spell combo) to get through Lair 8 / D 15, at which point you should be developing strong endgame magic (L8 or L9 destructive spells). Mediocre melee / ranged combat skills will not serve you well. At most, get the first few levels in a weapon skill that improves your chance to hit with a branded weapon that complements your destructive spells.

Earth tends toward single-target spells that will exhaust your MP against yak packs, orc packs, killer bees, etc. I would want to branch out into bolts of fire, ice, venom or draining given any opportunity. Would even consider lightning bolt or clouds despite gargoyle's lovely air aptitude. LRD might be good against packs, but I don't have much experience with it. Most of my successful games end up spamming tornado and fire storm.

I usually play on CAO, but if you drop in one of my games I'll move over to CBRO to watch one of yours. Destructo casters are my favorite way to crawl and I'd be happy to help with the early/mid-game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

LRD and Fireball are both good enough to carry you through your first two runes and 1-4 of vaults. LRD is a little tricker because of the targeting requirements but happily the starter earth book also gives you petrify.

It's a nice luxury that the other caster starts don't have, though AE and Conjurer have a lot of good, common spell options they can easily transition to.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
Just lost a promising KoHu in the Abyss due to getting swarmed and not playing very well. Unfortunately, I won't be able contribute any more during the tournament. At least I got my first tournament 15-rune win. Thanks to shinino for setting up the team. Eat the purple!

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit2 It was my 29th game. Ever.

That's fantastic, congratulations!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

You're doing good work, vault guard. :patriot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Another one, for the GhWn highscore. Fairly low turncount for a 15 rune(for a non-speedrunner like me, anyways). Pan RNG got me demonic rune fast this time, which is a blessing, but the past still hurts.

Maxwell's Etheric Cage seems nutso good now that the contam mechanic was changed from "constantly gives you contam until you inevitably hit yellow contam even if you use nothing else that gives you it" to "doubles contam from all sources". I got it in Tomb, wore it the whole rest of extended, and literally never hit yellow contam a single time. Bonkers powerful with spirit shield amulet. Also ghouls continue to be crazy good.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

IronicDongz posted:

Maxwell's Etheric Cage seems nutso good now that the contam mechanic was changed from "constantly gives you contam until you inevitably hit yellow contam even if you use nothing else that gives you it" to "doubles contam from all sources".

that DOES sound insanely fuckin' good, my dude

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
15-runed a MfTm of Ash:

Notable things:
  • Got Statue Form and Dragon Form castable with a ring of wizardry before the end of Lair. It turns out death yaks are not very scary when you're a dragon.
  • Barely bothered with Blade Hands past the early game; the extra damage over Statue Form didn't justify the increased frailness, and Dragon Form outdamaged it anyways.
  • Learned that Ozocubu's Armour works with Dragon Form, which made it much more durable and safe to use for the purposes of ripping things apart
  • Ended up with huge EV (40+ once I hit 27 dodging unless I was in Dragon form, and still just over 30 EV even then)
  • One-shot Frederick with a Statue Form punch (he was next to me sleeping when I first descended into Tomb:$, so I punched his head clean off)
  • Pulled off Vow of Courage III (did Demonic for the 6th rune since the pandemonium orc ending had spawned)
  • Actually pushed for Necromutation as a Tm; ended up using it more in extended than I did statue form because of the resists and not-melding-armor qualities of the form (although note that I still used Statue Form quite a bit regardless)
  • Used Necromutation to murder Mnoleg (because Mnoleg is a joke) and Gloorx Vloq (forgot about Dispel Undead, whoops)
  • Crushed Lom Lobon via Statue Form despite only having rC+
  • Used Sticks to Snakes to kill Antaeus (until I got bored and shot the last bits of his HP off with Dispater's Staff)
  • Blew Ereshkigal up with Dispater's Staff (27 evo damnation blasts trivialize her really easily)
  • Murdered Cerebov, Dispater, and Asmodeus by turning into a dragon and crushing them beneath the weight of pure damage (I think Cerebov lasted about 15 turns
  • Never got hit with a single malmutate the entire game (thank you Necromutation)

Seriously, nothing scared me by the end: My resists while in lichform were stellar everywhere, I didn't fear torment at all, and even damnation was blunted by the massive amount of HP I had in statue form or dragon form. I had Death's Door and Borg's castable and never even used them once because things melted away too quickly for me to be in serious danger. I held tab down against Dis's Serpent of Hell and an iron giant at the same time and came out still having over half my HP left.222

I basically couldn't die.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lightli/morgue-Lightli-20160521-113332.txt

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Gozag reasons.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Old Dun Cow posted:

Gozag reasons.

Imagine getting the fiery version instead; the poor serpent would get a fat sack of coins only to melt them later because he sneezed

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

I give it another 2 floors before I'm dead, tops.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Got a pretty solid GrCK going:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-8-gdd0e5ea (webtiles) character file.

Xavori the Shatterer (Gargoyle Chaos Knight)       Turns: 75711, Time: 03:17:06

Health: 194/194    AC: 56    Str: 24    XL:     27
Magic:  19/19      EV: 22    Int: 17    God:    Xom [..*...]
Gold:   8376       SH: 19    Dex: 34    Spells: 8 memorised, 3 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    L - +9 eveningstar (freeze)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    +    D - +10 plate armour of Micym {Regen+} (curse)
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    Q - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    z - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    G - +2 cloak of Bayd {Dex+7}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    V - +2 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
rMut   +          Harm     .    F - -2 pair of boots of Subjectivity {rN++ Regen+ MP-9 Dex+3} (curse)
SustAt .                        N - amulet of Rationality {Gourm rN+ Str+4 Int+4 Slay+5}
MR     +++++                    q - +3 ring of dexterity
Stlth  ..........               I - ring "Kacroare" {rC+ MR+}

@: flying, repel missiles, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: antennae 1, big wings, beak, hooves 2, repulsion field 1, see invisible,
agile 1, cold resistance 1, dopey 1, magic resistance 1, negative energy
resistance 1, shaggy fur 1, electricity resistance, unbreathing, petrification
resistance, rot immunity, sturdy frame 1, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion
}: 5/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden
Problem is, I've cleared all of Depths and all branches before it and I haven't found an Abyss or Pan entrance; can they show up elsewhere?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

All-runed the OgSu and claimed a TrSk for Nemelex choice points on the streak.

The Tr used Ignorance and an amulet of reflection for a while, had perhaps a few too many close calls at 1-2 int. At the end I decided to give up reflection for the amulet "Jaixuji" {RegenMP rF+ rC+ rN+++ Int-3}. Ended up with rF+++++, there was probably a way to not use my ring of Contam rF++ Int+2 Str+4 but it was keeping my brain on and I didn't want to bother figuring out alternates.

2 allrunes and one nem isn't that great, but between missing a week and trying not to be a hermit, I'll take it. Might squeeze in another quick one - but I'm not quick :).

Mystery Prize posted:

Got a pretty solid GrCK going:

Problem is, I've cleared all of Depths and all branches before it and I haven't found an Abyss or Pan entrance; can they show up elsewhere?

while they can, there's at least one of each guaranteed somewhere in Depths - I think depths:3 for Pan and 2 or 4 for Abyss? Do you have all 3 normal staircases up and down on each floor?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

rchandra posted:

while they can, there's at least one of each guaranteed somewhere in Depths - I think depths:3 for Pan and 2 or 4 for Abyss? Do you have all 3 normal staircases up and down on each floor?
Yep.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Your dump file says you have Abyss portals on depths 1,2,4 and Pandemonium on depths 3 and 4. Use ctrl-f abyss/pande to find them.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

rchandra posted:

Your dump file says you have Abyss portals on depths 1,2,4 and Pandemonium on depths 3 and 4. Use ctrl-f abyss/pande to find them.

Oh, fair enough; I figured I could shift G to find them, like other branches. I forgot they don't show up there.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So I got to Shoals 4 and saw the vault, so I wandered around the edges to clean up first. And then found the Rune on a random island?

Anyway, a +3 buckler rN and +9 vampiric Broad Axe, or a +7 Exevutioner's Axe chop rN +Blink? MiBe with 18 Axes

Edit: Also, what does Brothers in Arms scale with? I've got max piety but only get one troll when I use it, and I can't train Invocations.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 21, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

So I got to Shoals 4 and saw the vault, so I wandered around the edges to clean up first. And then found the Rune on a random island?

Anyway, a +3 buckler rN and +9 vampiric Broad Axe, or a +7 Exevutioner's Axe chop rN +Blink? MiBe with 18 Axes

Edit: Also, what does Brothers in Arms scale with? I've got max piety but only get one troll when I use it, and I can't train Invocations.

The entire floor of shoals 4 is the rune vault. That random island had a dozen enemies on it before you killed them.

Trogs abilities only scale with piety, and I think you can only ever get a single brother per use. You get stronger ones more often with higher piety though, iron trolls and stone giants instead of ogres/trolls.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Turned my normal tilt into not caring about Crawl after a terrible tournament loss into a grind for all the lovely combos that nobody cares about in order to get Crawl of Duty the most species/background high scores!

Now time to put down Crawl for a while again, I think. It's pretty exhausting to play through the early game a poo poo ton of times with terrible characters (DETm, for example) for the sole purpose of giving the character up after they hit Lair:8 or as far as I can go to solidify that the score won't get stolen and to move onto the next one quickly enough to knock out enough high scores.

It did teach me that Slings are a god weapon for salvaging poo poo backgrounds, definitely pick one up if you are struggling with something in particular.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also some other goofy extended poo poo

random pan lord banished via chaos

a cerebov who firestorm him own self. a shameful cerebov

oh hi

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What do I do to the RC to force a --more-- any time I see distort? I just lost a really promising formicid because I didn't realise a dancing longsword in Elf 3 was distortion and got sent straight to Abyss 3.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view

Those two should catch the majority of distortion users, though if the thing with distortion comes into view in the same turn as other enemies it may get missed. "Two dancing weapons come into view" instead of "a longsword of distortion comes into view" etc. Unfortunately I don't think there is any workaround for that problem.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Be careful because they won't go off if butt overrides any of the message (assuming you are making the correct choice and playing with buttlang on).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Floodkiller posted:

Be careful because they won't go off if butt overrides any of the message (assuming you are making the correct choice and playing with buttlang on).

Butt, grunt and jaeger.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darox posted:

force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view

Those two should catch the majority of distortion users, though if the thing with distortion comes into view in the same turn as other enemies it may get missed. "Two dancing weapons come into view" instead of "a longsword of distortion comes into view" etc. Unfortunately I don't think there is any workaround for that problem.

Also
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion
and
force_more_message += space (bends|warps).*around you

although the second one is bad for lucy worshippers because the getting-hit-by-distortion message is the same as the one for casting bend space

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
For me, the tournament is over. I got four wins for Ogrecoming Adversity:

OgMo^G
OgAK^L
OgNe^L (the Ogre of Death, Nec spells/skill only, was K until Zot:5)
OgCK^X

Won the OgCK on the second attempt. Xom is not perfect on streaks, but the god is more helpful than I see him/her/it usually given credit for.

Anyway, it is fun to see a string of Ogre wins on those who like big sticks and big booties. Cheers to everyone who played an ogre. THE ONLY GOOD OGRE IS A BAD OGRE!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

Be careful because they won't go off if butt overrides any of the message.

false!

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010

Are you the ASSMAN?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hmm, maybe there's a typo somewhere in my rcfile then, because it never stopped me for my transformation ending whenever butt was in the message.

E: Also, big congratz to the random person out there who has somehow managed to finally beat the bots for dying to the most uniques.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Found a trove in Depths asking for piety while worshipping Zin. Probably the best possible entry fee! :madmax:

• Locked thread