Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My computer is pretty bad but I definitely never had either of those problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I think the biggest problem/flaw with tinker stuff is (I can only speak for 1.7.x and before) that there are often not THAT many 'choices' to be made. Most of them are just picking the better/best mix of traits, rather than optimizing for a given style/etc.

I think the greater variety of material traits in the newer version looks to address that.

And if you're worried about 'balance' (again, most people in minecraft consider 'removes grind' as OP, sadly) you can tune that easily in any modpack via what materials you allow or the stats thereof. Don't like the ability to pour lapis/redstone into an item? Use iguana, etc.

Vib Rib posted:

[list][*]Ore distribution is gregtech-style, which New Horizons players are familiar with. Huge deposits and rare, scattered single blocks of ore. The big deposits are huge because each block can be mined multiple times before depleting. However, unlike Gregtech, there are indicators on the surface to let you know roughly where large deposits are, like people in this very thread (myself included) had said would be a good solution to the problem. Rare flowers, each type linked to a kind of ore deposit, can grow on the surface, and bonemealing grass will create these flowers in higher density the closer you are to a sizeable deposit.
So I have no interest in the modpacks/etc that make the game more 'grindy' or hardcore in general because I generally feel like they're bolting on inelegant time wasting systems, but...

I've always wanted to see ore work more like this, especially after playing factorio (a resource you harvest over time for a while). Though I've never come up with a dowsing/divination/finding solution that sounded interesting/fun/useful.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 20, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

speaking of tinker's construct, i think it also breaks blood magic over its knee

well of suffering on a slime island in a void dimension prints LP, because not only are slimes the only thing that can spawn, but when they die, they spawn multiple little slimes that also die

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

speaking of tinker's construct, i think it also breaks blood magic over its knee

well of suffering on a slime island in a void dimension prints LP, because not only are slimes the only thing that can spawn, but when they die, they spawn multiple little slimes that also die

I was going to ask how you ACTUALLY got them to spawn at a rate that was useful, but 'void dimension' answers that.

That said, why/how is there a slime island in a void dimension?

Honestly, free LP is available any time you have any kind of spawners set up, including just cursed earth.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fayk posted:

I was going to ask how you ACTUALLY got them to spawn at a rate that was useful, but 'void dimension' answers that.

That said, why/how is there a slime island in a void dimension?

Honestly, free LP is available any time you have any kind of spawners set up, including just cursed earth.

i am not sure either, i just made an RFTools dimension with the void dimlet and i got a random slime island near the spawn platform

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

i am not sure either, i just made an RFTools dimension with the void dimlet and i got a random slime island near the spawn platform

I also see them in the tutorial dimension in BFSR, which is using an RFTools void dimlet. I speculate the void generator it uses doesn't check if other generators are still active and suppress them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Serifina posted:

The current Minecraft mechanics aren't bad, unless you consider tools breaking entirely to be bad (and, well, I don't know what to say to that), particularly with the changes to enchanting introduced in 1.8. Meanwhile, Tinker's doesn't work with the system, it completely ignores it and uses the ever-favorite system of dumping stacks of resources into things for improvements (which I do consider to be a bad mechanic in general). Tinker's weapons, in particular, are extremely strong, particularly in ranged, even with just standard materials and not stuff from ExtraTiC. Other mod weapons only are useful in comparison if they have a unique ability (basically just the Terra Blade and it's variants, in other words). There are very few mod tools that can match or beat Tinker's tools, and they require typically much more investment in time, infrastructure, or risk (high rank Terra Shattered, aka A rank or better, requires insane amounts of Mana, and the Bound tools from Blood Magic require either you being drat careful about your soul network - or you risk death).

Tinker's tools are extremely easy to make and upgrade to ridiculously good stats. They require the barest level of infrastructure and use stacks of common materials to be upgraded (lapis, redstone, and quartz are all easy to gather in large quantities).

In another game, I'd be all over them - I generally like the design and implementation - but they don't fit with Minecraft in general and 99% of the time, if TiC is in a pack, other tools and weapons simply don't exist.

I mostly just like the modular toolmaking system, though I actually like that upgrading tools is a matter of pouring resources into them instead of praying that RNG doesn't dump on you :shrug:

What'd 1.8 change about enchanting? Part of the reason I've always loved on TiCon was specifically because it avoided Minecraft's enchanting system because I don't like the RNG.

Agreed that Tinker's weapons are generally the best in a pack though. I think the Excavator and Hammer are reasonable, the Lumber Axe is a little too good, and the weapons (particularly crossbows) are generally the best stuff available because it's real hard to beat having a machinegun that vomits six 10 damage bolts per second.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2016

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

1.8 enchanting requires Lapis, but only takes 1-3 levels of experience per enchant (with a minimum total level.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

1.8 enchanting requires Lapis, but only takes 1-3 levels of experience per enchant (with a minimum total level.)

That's pretty neat, afaik Lapis was basically useless prior to this

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

It also shows one of the enchants you'll receive - and at higher levels, you'll usually receive several enchants in one go. Downside is the seed for the RNG for the enchants is static until you enchant something - so it's beneficial to get your set of armor, weapon, and tools all ready so you can see which will get the most benefit - or some books to enchant instead.

Ultimately, it's a lot easier to get quality enchants. I did a level 30 enchant that got Fortune 3, Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3 on my pick.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Being able to see one of the enchants is also really neat, I hated enchanting before because it always felt like I was more or less pissing resources down a hole and hoping something good would come out

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Ultimately, it's a lot easier to get quality enchants. I did a level 30 enchant that got Fortune 3, Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3 on my pick.

this is clearly overpowered and should be nerfed heavily

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fayk posted:

So I have no interest in the modpacks/etc that make the game more 'grindy' or hardcore in general because I generally feel like they're bolting on inelegant time wasting systems, but...

I've always wanted to see ore work more like this, especially after playing factorio (a resource you harvest over time for a while). Though I've never come up with a dowsing/divination/finding solution that sounded interesting/fun/useful.
Yeah, carrying limits + defined, central locations for ore with multiple harvests per block actually makes building a mineshaft + cart with chest viable, something I've never done before.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I've been primarily playing a cobbled-together 1.8 pack for a while now, and it's pretty fun. Blood Magic, Botania, Psi, TiCon, Immersive Engineering, Thaumcraft 5, Storage Drawers, and Intangible are all pretty good and functional.

I'd like to update to 1.9, but there aren't many mods available yet. Blood Magic and Psi, to my knowledge.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm still playing New Horizons, and, occasionally, for variety, jamming masonry nails down my urethra

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I also see them in the tutorial dimension in BFSR, which is using an RFTools void dimlet. I speculate the void generator it uses doesn't check if other generators are still active and suppress them.

I believe Tcon by default does not blacklist dimensions for slime island spawning. You have to change the config to ensure it only spawns them on the overworld.

Meskhenet posted:

Haha, and breaking a block with the wrong tool makes it just come back :p

Yeah its sooooooooooooo laggy its unplayable

Yeahhhh, divergence has some good ideas but it has absolutely absurd performance issues. Chromaticraft complained about java 8 and requested a command line parameter; I gave it what it wanted through ATLauncher and it still complains and on top of that I get 1 fps. From what I've heard ATLauncher doesn't even work with the command line parameter required, so I'd have to tell ATLauncher to use java 7.

Edit: okay this is absurd, now it's always doing the 1 fps thing. Except the whole game is in slow motion, and it's freezing for a second between half-second bursts of slow motion.

...okay it eventually stopped. Maybe worldgen is just glacially slow. Now, why on earth are the sides of grass blocks not changing colors according to biome? What could even cause that? OH. It's because graphics were set to Fast instead of Fancy.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 21, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So what you're saying is i make a game and leave it for like 30 mins for the world to gen and just hope i dont die too much?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

So what you're saying is i make a game and leave it for like 30 mins for the world to gen and just hope i dont die too much?

I think the problem was I didn't set the ram high enough to use RTG? I'm still messing with it, but you can leave minecraft paused while worldgen is going on.

Edit: okay I got default worldgen working fine (well, without the freezes) with 3.5 gb allocated instead of just 3. Time to try a RTG world.
Edit2: Yep. It really needed that extra 500Mb, apparently. Time to play for a while and see if I get some insane block lag.
Edit3: Everything seems fine. The shovel even works to dig up sand. Dammit it started happening again I'll have to try 4gb. God drat.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 21, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I did try BR:D once, and I had similar performance issues. It was barely on the edge of playable for me, with nothing going on. I ended up not playing it, in the end.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
After being spawncamped by a "[1] Optimus Prime" who shot hitscan lasers which twoshot me at full health (and I spawn at 2.5 health) I decided to drop the pack too.

Is Matter Overdrive *always* this stupid, or did someone set the configs this way? Also didn't like how restrictive the pack is. A quest gave me three of the tcon crafting tables, and I couldn't even PLACE two of them because they were "locked".

E: Hey, I found out where the ore generation is from. Reasonable Realism's Harder Ores. So it's not just this pack that has it, thank god.
E2: Okay, I at least figured out how to unlock blocks. When you complete certain quests, doors in the Temple open and you go in and sit on a toilet or whatever the gently caress that thing is, and that unlocks blocks for you.
E3: The robots who killed me are called "rogue androids" and are supposed to be a rare spawn(as if 5% is that rare), but I got two on my first night, yaaaay.

Anyway I think I'm done messing with the pack and seeing how it's supposed to work. While finishing things up before quitting, I also found out their version of voxelmap is bugged and leaves death waypoints you can't delete.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 21, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

McFrugal posted:

After being spawncamped by a "[1] Optimus Prime" who shot hitscan lasers which twoshot me at full health (and I spawn at 2.5 health) I decided to drop the pack too.

Is Matter Overdrive *always* this stupid, or did someone set the configs this way? Also didn't like how restrictive the pack is. A quest gave me three of the tcon crafting tables, and I couldn't even PLACE two of them because they were "locked".

E: Hey, I found out where the ore generation is from. Reasonable Realism's Harder Ores. So it's not just this pack that has it, thank god.
E2: Okay, I at least figured out how to unlock blocks. When you complete certain quests, doors in the Temple open and you go in and sit on a toilet or whatever the gently caress that thing is, and that unlocks blocks for you.
E3: The robots who killed me are called "rogue androids" and are supposed to be a rare spawn(as if 5% is that rare), but I got two on my first night, yaaaay.

Anyway I think I'm done messing with the pack and seeing how it's supposed to work. While finishing things up before quitting, I also found out their version of voxelmap is bugged and leaves death waypoints you can't delete.

Yeah, Rogue Androids do a lot of damage - several of the 'adds monsters' mods liek Guardians of Gaia are absolutely brutal when you start - mostly silent stalking enemies that kill you in three hits and GoG also has status effects, etc.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Check my ram int he launcher settings. 256mb inital, 4gig max.

what do i do with that error message seeing as you say the launcher doesnt work with it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Either HQM or the info starter book mention this, HQM even mentioning which room to go in. But yeah, you can get the first half of the floor cleared in about 10 minutes and have most of the basic ready to go.

Performance is far and away the big problem with this pack though, more than any design decisions at least.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fayk posted:

Yeah, Rogue Androids do a lot of damage - several of the 'adds monsters' mods liek Guardians of Gaia are absolutely brutal when you start - mostly silent stalking enemies that kill you in three hits and GoG also has status effects, etc.

Grimiore of Gaia, and several of the mobs it adds also disregard light levels... While still being hostile, strong, and fast. It's total bullshit.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Either HQM or the info starter book mention this, HQM even mentioning which room to go in. But yeah, you can get the first half of the floor cleared in about 10 minutes and have most of the basic ready to go.

Performance is far and away the big problem with this pack though, more than any design decisions at least.

I must be retarded because ive finished the quest that tells me to go into the room with the orange book, and i cant find it. I dont see a banner with an orange book and nothing is open?

what room is it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

The HQM book tells you to go find knowledge, or something, not to right-click on the weird looking set piece.

In other news I found InfiTech 2 on the ftb launcher and it looks like a less masochistic, more functional version of New Horizons. Will give more details as I get further into it.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 21, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I ended up finding the room, i was looking on the wrong floor.

Are there torches that dont run out? i returned to my base after an extended trip away and a creeper was inside and destroyed everything. I wont even bother with the pack a third time if the torches dont work.

Oh and an edit. Im reading some of the modpack stories.

Desolate wasteland sounds awesome. After a 50 year sleep you land on a planet, your team convinces you to spend the night in a village and then leave before you wake up.

Something tells me the kid that made this has some deep background issues they are minecrafting through. lol. hopefully the actual pack isnt too bad

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 21, 2016

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Ok, I haven't touched minecraft in months, i used to play regular tekkit, grabbed the launcher, grabbed legends....

Np applied energistics? no industrial-craft?

Massive deal breakers for me, are there any decent packs that include them both now?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

I ended up finding the room, i was looking on the wrong floor.

Are there torches that dont run out? i returned to my base after an extended trip away and a creeper was inside and destroyed everything. I wont even bother with the pack a third time if the torches dont work.

Oh and an edit. Im reading some of the modpack stories.

Desolate wasteland sounds awesome. After a 50 year sleep you land on a planet, your team convinces you to spend the night in a village and then leave before you wake up.

Something tells me the kid that made this has some deep background issues they are minecrafting through. lol. hopefully the actual pack isnt too bad

Is there any sort of questing structure? It doesn't look like it has HQM or BQ, but there are other ways of implementing challenges.

Pound_Coin posted:

Ok, I haven't touched minecraft in months, i used to play regular tekkit, grabbed the launcher, grabbed legends....

Np applied energistics? no industrial-craft?

Massive deal breakers for me, are there any decent packs that include them both now?

You could... try... this.........? http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mcnewhorizons.677387

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Is there any sort of questing structure? It doesn't look like it has HQM or BQ, but there are other ways of implementing challenges.

You could... try... this.........? http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/mcnewhorizons.677387

Nooooo

That is Gregtech new horizons, the pack that i spent 3 weeks playing to not even get a piece of iron.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

TheresaJayne posted:

Nooooo

That is Gregtech new horizons, the pack that i spent 3 weeks playing to not even get a piece of iron.

Yeah, just looking at that readme, that looks like a whole bunch of unnecessary rebalancing , I just want an up to date version of the old tekkit pack, not some terra-firma craft level of bullshitery.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pound_Coin posted:

Yeah, just looking at that readme, that looks like a whole bunch of unnecessary rebalancing , I just want an up to date version of the old tekkit pack, not some terra-firma craft level of bullshitery.

IC2 is hot garbage these days, you're looking for a pack with thermal expansion and big reactors, probably.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Glory of Arioch posted:

IC2 is hot garbage these days, you're looking for a pack with thermal expansion and big reactors, probably.

yeah thermal's an acceptable substitute, it has equivalents of most of the stuff in IC2, ideally I just want legends with AE2 & TE jammed in I think, I love me some huge computerised auto-crafting servers

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 21, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Does it have logistics pipes? I sort of miss their crafting system - it could do most of what AE's crafting does, just without the hyper easy storage attached.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Wolfsbane posted:

Does it have logistics pipes? I sort of miss their crafting system - it could do most of what AE's crafting does, just without the hyper easy storage attached.

TE? yeah t's got Itemducts/liquiducts/conduits for items/liquids/power over short distances, tesseracts for long distance/cross dimentions

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

I got the at launcher and divergence pack but it's giving me this message

you are running java 8 and need to use the JVM argument '-XX:+UseG1GC' or you will suffer memory allocation-related crashes blah blah blah...

WTF does this mean?

Apparently the newer garbage collection in Java reduces latency, but none of them should be producing "memory allocation-related crashes" any more than the other. You can see G1 vs CMS vs Parallel GC for the differences.

quote:

First stop – Parallel GC (-XX:+UseParallelOldGC). Out of the 30 minutes the tests took to complete, we spent close to 21 seconds in GC pauses with the parallel collector. And the longest pause took 721 milliseconds. So let us take this as the baseline: GC cycles reduced the throughput by 1.1% of the total runtime. And the worst-case latency was 721ms.

Next contestant: CMS (-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC). Again, 30 minutes of tests out of which we lost a bit less than 19 seconds to GC. Throughput-wise this is roughly in the same neighbourhood as the parallel mode. Latency on the other hand has been improved significantly – the worst-case latency is reduced more than 10 times! We are now facing just 64ms as the maximum pause time from the GC.

Last experiment used the newest and shiniest GC algorithm available – G1 (-XX:+UseG1GC). The very same tests were run and throughput-wise we saw results suffering severely. This time our application spent more than a minute waiting for the GC to complete. Comparing this to the just 1% of the overhead with CMS, we are now facing close to 3.5% effect on the throughput. But if you really do not care about throughput and want to squeeze out the last bit from the latency then – we have improved around 20% comparing to the already-good CMS – using G1 saw the longest GC pause only taking 50ms.

For more technical details, Getting Started with the G1 Garbage Collector and Oracle® Communications WebRTC Session Controller System Administrator's Guide
Release 7.0
, both from Oracle.

quote:

Recommended Use Cases for G1

The first focus of G1 is to provide a solution for users running applications that require large heaps with limited GC latency. This means heap sizes of around 6GB or larger, and stable and predictable pause time below 0.5 seconds.

Applications running today with either the CMS or the ParallelOldGC garbage collector would benefit switching to G1 if the application has one or more of the following traits.
  • Full GC durations are too long or too frequent.
  • The rate of object allocation rate or promotion varies significantly.
  • Undesired long garbage collection or compaction pauses (longer than 0.5 to 1 second)
Note: If you are using CMS or ParallelOldGC and your application is not experiencing long garbage collection pauses, it is fine to stay with your current collector. Changing to the G1 collector is not a requirement for using the latest JDK.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 21, 2016

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the help with my other post, guys! I ended up being able to do exactly what I wanted to.

Sloane posted:

Sounds pretty cool but what's up with ATLauncher? I use MultiMC and tend to download modpacks off github or curse's website if possible but then I encountered some things only on Technic so I had to install that launcher and then likewise for FTB so I had to install that launcher and now I find ATLauncher is still in use and Curse is maybe doing a launcher? Aaaagh.

As for the low framerates, I've seen you around this thread a lot so you might already know about them but I run Fastcraft and BetterFPS because OptiFine was actually lowering my performance and the really big thing that completely removed lag and stuttering for me was turning mipmapping off.

I keep wanting to get into Immersive Engineering but I always seem to find some other preferred way to do something. It also cuts my FPS in half when I'm near an area with a lot of IE wires.

This is really the most aggravating thing about modding/playing minecraft. Combined with the fact that now we've had like 3 iteratoins of 1.0-1.10 and the fact that some of these launchers are either obsolete or you only want them for one loving modpack, it makes everything super confusing and annoying. You mention Optifine and that's another thing that suffers from "so many versions" problems because somehow, version A increases FPS for multicore computers but will lower it for anything else, stuff like that.

Im kind of glad base minecraft, some of the developers that are still working on it, they seem to have done some stuff to optimize it and Im super grateful for that. A lot of developers dont seem to give a gently caress about optimizing and I hear people argue, "A new GPU is like 100-200 bucks, just upgrade!" But that's not really the point. There are games that dont look that great, like Minecraft and pixel graphics, that just run terribly. A game like Legend of Grimrock looks like Myst, and I tried playing it on a non-gaming laptop (I think it had like 256 vRAM? It was a work computer) because "Hey it's like Myst!" and I was getting single-digit FPS. I dont think Myst had those issues but I guess it was also a CD ROM game so it wouldnt have.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Been trying to scratch the skyblock itch and I've been having some trouble on technic, the agrar skies 2 pack I had been using crashes whenever I try to run it, even after re-installing, and a lot of the packs I try to find off the website or in the search bar of the launcher don't download, what are folks doing for skyblock stuff right now?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i know it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of New Horizons, by Greg R. R. Martin?

(try Regrowth on FtB, it's not technically a skyblock as it in fact has lots and lots of blocks - but they're all fuckin' useless, so it has similar progression)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i know it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you considered A Song of New Horizons, by Greg R. R. Martin?
No thanks, that sounds like that would be a real Game of Moans.

quote:

(try Regrowth on FtB, it's not technically a skyblock as it in fact has lots and lots of blocks - but they're all fuckin' useless, so it has similar progression)

I played regrowth when it first launched on Technic, has it changed much since then?