Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Coworker is selling me his 03 sv650s with 26k miles on it for 2K. So that was easy. Anyone have a good guide on turning it into a track bike?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats the deal with these things?
http://delaware.craigslist.org/mcy/5586710423.html
TE510. He posted the hours on the motor. Are these things super high maintenence or would it be a fun bike for urban commuting and some light trail riding?

Looks like you found a bike but... It's a big, fast dirt bike. Yes, it would be fun. Very short recommended service intervals. Don't hold a ton of oil. ~50+ hp and 275lbs wet. Your tradeoff is the maintenance intervals and also dying if you whiskey throttle it. I would personally buy a different bike for commuting but that one would certainly be fun. http://www.cycleworld.com/video-topher-ingalls-ktm-dual-sport-commute-city-jumps

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In the related articles:

https://twitter.com/Channel4/status/714541205250449408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:captainpop:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Does $2800 for a 2015 Honda CB300F w/6k miles sound reasonable for a starter bike?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/5590131642.html

From the research I've done the bike itself is good for beginners, and it's comfortable enough for commuting, so I'm tempted...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

IAmKale posted:

Does $2800 for a 2015 Honda CB300F w/6k miles sound reasonable for a starter bike?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/5590131642.html

From the research I've done the bike itself is good for beginners, and it's comfortable enough for commuting, so I'm tempted...

That's a very good price on a very good beginner bike. Shame it's not ABS.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My wife is looking to pick up a used bike, mostly just for daily commute (mostly not highway). We've been digging around, and she came across this one: http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Ray%27s-Sport-%26-Cycle-3017748/listing/1986-Honda-CMX250CD-117901971

Any thoughts? She's an experienced rider, but hasn't bought a motorcycle herself, and I'm not any kind of expert, so we could use some help on whether this is a good bike for a decent price.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MockingQuantum posted:

My wife is looking to pick up a used bike, mostly just for daily commute (mostly not highway). We've been digging around, and she came across this one: http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Ray%27s-Sport-%26-Cycle-3017748/listing/1986-Honda-CMX250CD-117901971

Any thoughts? She's an experienced rider, but hasn't bought a motorcycle herself, and I'm not any kind of expert, so we could use some help on whether this is a good bike for a decent price.

Does she want the cruiser look? Love older bikes? My initial reaction is "don't buy an old bike [without a compelling reason]."

Here's a ninja for only a little more. https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5594324936.html
much newer vstar https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5593402351.html
smaller, even newer vstar https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5578397728.html
but enough about those, get her a real woman's bike. https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5558964074.html

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fifty Three posted:

You guys must live in some sort of bike paradise. Good luck finding any SV650 that isn't a heap for less than $3k anywhere near Pittsburgh. :smith:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcd/5507031703.html

???

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Betcha :20bux: that's got a salvage or rebuilt title.

MockingQuantum posted:

If she's dead set on a cruiser the Vstar 650/Shadow 600/Vulcan 500 are better bikes in every way for not much more money.

e: I've always been partial to the old Virago 535 too but they can be harder to find.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If 250cc cruiser is what you absolutely want, this one is as good as they get.

The problem with low displacement cruisers is highway speed. You'll go 65-75, but that will be wide open throttle, screaming for its dear life. You'll have absolutely no passing power and acceleration at those speeds either. I rode one in a city, which was fine, but any highway trip was an exercise in frustration. Get a Savage 650 if you want it light. Shadow 600/750 if you can handle 500+ lbs

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What kind of negotiating power do I have wrt to used 2015s? A nearby dealership is advertising a 2015 CB300F w/2200mi for MSRP of $3999. That boggles my mind, as I could get a brand-new 2016 for that exact same price! KBB says that bike is worth $3200 used, so surely they must know that's an unrealistic price for it? Why would the dealership knowingly put the price at that level? To encourage me to buy new? So many questions...

Anyway I'm a terrible negotiator so I'm trying to educate myself beforehand and know what is or isn't worth bringing to the table to convince them to knock some bucks off the price. I'd like to get it as close to $3k OTD but I know that's best-case.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With a new bike they're going to want to charge you for assembly and delivery. That is of course negotiable. I bet they'd do book price plus tax for the used one if you asked and were serious. Or ask them to throw in a scheduled service or two for their ask price.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

IAmKale posted:

I'd like to get it as close to $3k OTD but I know that's best-case.

Just tell them that, see what they say.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Should I buy a CT90?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Are you in Colorado? I see you are in Colorado. What part? Looks like Moffat County.

Yep that's the Craig Airport.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Should I buy a CT90?

Yes, unless the choice is between that and a CT70, in which case get the 70.

(wan't a 70 so bad but the last one I saw was $4k. :smith:)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

why is the 70 better?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

60% more awesome.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Should I buy a CT90?

YES

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Goddamnit this is pretty. But I know so little about bikes at this point I feel like I could easily get fleeced.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5595293443.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like turtles posted:

Goddamnit this is pretty. But I know so little about bikes at this point I feel like I could easily get fleeced.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5595293443.html

Good god no.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Good god no.

Yeah I figured.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Partial Octopus posted:

Coworker is selling me his 03 sv650s with 26k miles on it for 2K. So that was easy. Anyone have a good guide on turning it into a track bike?
First track day: New tires (Q3 or bust)/sprocket/chain/fluids/etc depending on how old they are. Bleed brakes (RBF600 fluid is the jam) I like running medium compound Renthal grips. Run it naked. Safety wire oil filler cap and oil filter at the bare minimum. Flush the coolant and put water wetter + distilled water in it. Take the first hit and see if you get hooked. If so, basics:

Stainless lines in the front if it doesn't already have them. You can put stainless in the rear too if you don't want to dick around with dry rotting. I usually leave some air in the rear lines so it doesn't bite.

HH brake pads in the front. I've always used Galfer, but a lot of people prefer EBC. Vesrah RJL's are some of the best but they're a waste for a dual purpose street/track bike.

Change the fork oil. Swap the front springs for Racetech. Spring rate calculator is here. Get the suspension setup for you. People also like to swap out suspension bits for GSXR stuff, but I know gently caress all about the details of that.

Toys: Foldable levers (my ASVs will not die), rearsets, clipons, fiberglass bodywork, case covers, steering damper, fork cartridges & aftermarket rear shock (Penske is nice), Motion Pro quick turn throttle (no clue if they make those for the SV).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Good god no.

It's sad, but my first thought was "well it's not the worst thing I've seen done to one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
House here has an 84 Honda Shadow 500$ OBO. I've been wanting a bike for a while and this seems like a given opportunity. I haven't checked the mileage yet or asked what work it needs. Any comments welcome. My experience is mostly on dirt bikes and ATVS. I consider myself mechanically competent enough to do some repairs.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 22, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

I've been wanting a bungee die a while

That sounds like something you should take up with your therapist, maybe.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

vulturesrow posted:

House here has an 84 Honda Shadow 500$ OBO. I've been wanting a bungee die a while and this seems like a given opportunity. I haven't checked the mileage yet or asked what work it needs. Any comments welcome. My experience is mostly on dirt bikes and ATVS. I consider myself mechanically competent enough to do some repairs.
It's $500. That's like half the price of an Oculus Rift.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

-Inu- posted:

It's $500. That's like half the price of an Oculus Rift.

Is it considered a decent bike? Any way for sometime to conjecture on how much more I can expect to spend getting it up to snuff?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

vulturesrow posted:

Is it considered a decent bike? Any way for sometime to conjecture on how much more I can expect to spend getting it up to snuff?

Are you using Google translate?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Are you using Google translate?

No.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

-Inu- posted:

Motion Pro quick turn throttle (no clue if they make those for the SV).

No need, you can get an R6 throttle tube for under $10 and it works on an SV with no or minimal work (a few minutes with a file or Dremel only needed on later year SVs).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You should try it!

They're an acceptable bike but the age and presumed condition would make it a no from me.

Ultimately, it depends: do you want a bike to learn how to fix bikes or do you want a bike to learn how to ride bikes? If it's the second one, don't buy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Somebody near me is selling a pretty much stock 1980 Honda Twinstar/CD200 with 3k miles on it (apparently it was his wife's bike) for $750. Apparently it's sat for a while but it runs and the photos look like it's in good condition.

Basically I'm wondering how hard these are to work on, and/or talk me out of this because I don't even have a instruction permit yet or it's likely I'll end up with a $750 boat anchor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Ultimately, it depends: do you want a bike to learn how to fix bikes or do you want a bike to learn how to ride bikes? If it's the second one, don't buy.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Somebody near me is selling a pretty much stock 1980 Honda Twinstar/CD200 with 3k miles on it (apparently it was his wife's bike) for $750. Apparently it's sat for a while but it runs and the photos look like it's in good condition.

Basically I'm wondering how hard these are to work on, and/or talk me out of this because I don't even have a instruction permit yet or it's likely I'll end up with a $750 boat anchor.

Here you go.

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
So I've been riding a 50cc Kymco Agility 50 scooty-puff for 4 years (nearly 10k miles :stare:) without incident, and I just moved to Seattle, so I feel like it's time to move up.

What's the best way to ship a motorcycle? My friend in Texas recently upgraded to a bigger bike and offered to -give- me his 1981 Honda CM400A "Hondamatic" if I pay for shipping. I tried looking into uShip but the quotes were kind of all over the place - one was about 600 dollars and the others were around $800-1000 to take a single smallish bike to Seattle.

Do you see any problems with this particular bike? I actually suggested it to my friend about a year ago as a learning bike and it seems to have served him well in that respect. I'm super skinny and the Kymco was already kind of bulky for me, so I'm a little nervous about picking something much heavier than that, and I have no experience with manual transmissions at all. I'm also told the Honda's great for stop-and-go city traffic, which is definitely important here.

Edit: I am confident that the bike is working well - my friend revived it after it sat in the previous owner's garage for 25 years, it has super low miles.

Fredrick fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 26, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fredrick posted:

So I've been riding a 50cc Kymco Agility 50 scooty-puff since 2000 years without incident, and I just moved to Seattle, so I feel like it's time to move up.

What's the best way to ship a motorcycle? My friend in Texas recently upgraded to a bigger bike and offered to -give- me his 1981 Honda CM400A "Hondamatic" if I pay for shipping. I tried looking into uShip but the quotes were kind of all over the place - one was about 600 dollars and the others were around $800-1000 to take a single smallish bike to Seattle.

Do you see any problems with this particular bike? I actually suggested it to my friend about a year ago as a learning bike and it seems to have served him well in that respect. I'm super skinny and the Kymco was already kind of bulky for me, so I'm a little nervous about picking something much heavier than that, and I have no experience with manual transmissions at all. I'm also told the Honda's great for stop-and-go city traffic, which is definitely important here.

Edit: I am confident that the bike is working well - my friend revived it after it sat in the previous owner's garage for 25 years, it has super low miles.

For uShip you have to just wait a little bit and then someone will make an offer for less money.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'll ride it to you for 500

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How did you move? If you had a Uhaul truck, then you missed an opportunity to just park it alongside your furniture. How miles does it need to travel? You can easily find a guy with a pickup truck to drive for $1/mile on craigslist.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It took me a week to ride from Texas to Seattle last time I did it :) It's like 2500 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Yeah but how much of that was spent repairing your Buell?