Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Soldier of Fortune 1 update: it's not actually good, and instead is just incredibly janky corridor shooting. The things nostalgia does to us. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Is there an installer for a stable version of GZDoom Builder or is the SVN version in a zip file the only way to get it?

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/ ?

Not an installer but a portable zip.

Grab GZDoom_Builder-r2635.7z, that's a pretty recent build. (Today lol)

CJacobs posted:

edit: Doom Builder reminds me of Google Sketchup, but with dismemberment and demons and palsma plasma guns.

Pretty much! That's why doom level making is so easy and fun. :)

Sketchup is a little more convenient but its pretty drat close.

Also, don't forget SLADE. You'll need SLADE to make any WAD modifications and it has a map editor too which is popular.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Thyrork posted:

Mix it with Colourful Hell if you're feel like inviting chaos.

Oh hell yeah. Got a berserk pack from a red imp. Awesome!

Thanks for this.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Arivia posted:

I can't believe no one said this first, but: The Awful Levels for Doom.
I will totally learn Doom mapping just to get on board with this. I will make a godawful, hideous, poorly designed map. The map will be named "Wellcume bak 2 Imp zone"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

LogicalFallacy posted:

I will totally learn Doom mapping just to get on board with this. I will make a godawful, hideous, poorly designed map. The map will be named "Wellcume bak 2 Imp zone"

Can they all be titled lovely SA references

"imagine 4 pinkies on the edge of a cliff"
"Are there stairs in your Hell?"
etc

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SWAP.WAD

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Morter posted:

etc

SA zybourne clock doom mod when?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Let's Slay"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

a MOOD mod?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, I've been meaning to learn how to mod Doom (because I want to play around with ways to make the pistol something you'll use more than 5 seconds past the start), so I might as well learn all of it.

Won't be able to start until way later tonight though

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

At moonbnase, got pistal

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/ ?

Not an installer but a portable zip.

Grab GZDoom_Builder-r2635.7z, that's a pretty recent build. (Today lol)

Yeah, I prefer a stable version installer but I'll take this. Thanks.

Morter posted:

etc

Shadow Hog posted:

"Let's Slay"

laserghost posted:

At moonbnase, got pistal

Map 27: Three Olives' Condo

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I guess my map names can be whatever as long as I don't actually have to design around the in-joke as a concept. That doesn't sound very fun to me.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Do any of you nerds run the Doom.TXT twitter account? I can't link it from my work computer, but I saw a particularly good one today torn from the DOOM 4 thread. Really tickled me.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Load Bearing Fleshwall.

D&D, Demons and Discussion.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
G!ZONE

(The G can stand for goon or goat, it's your choice)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone was saying the pistol start WAD in the OP doesn't work. Is there a good one that does work? I just want to go through Doom/Doom 2 on UV using GZDoom with it, nothing special.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Impzone would be the low hanging fruit here. Might as well be me saying it to get it out of the way. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Playing through No Rest for the Living on Ultra-Violence after replaying and beating Doom 1 yesterday and Doom 2 today. Is it just me, or is the level design for some of No Rest for the Living very Quake inspired? More gothic-y architecture and a castle being one of the levels compared to the levels from the first two games feels quite a bit different.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mak0rz posted:

Map 32: The Fiddy Zone

Also, have some dick moves done in ACS.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

G!ZONE

(The G can stand for goon or goat, it's your choice)
You mean "I!Zone", of course

(wellcume 2)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

widespread posted:

Map 32: The Fiddy Zone

Also, have some dick moves done in ACS.

Map 33: Groverhaus

An excellent opportunity to pull out some bizarre raycasting tricks.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I have some vague memories of some kind of mod featuring Doom 3 style imps, complete with an animation for crawling/leaping like they did in the actual game that I'd like to track down, but I can't seem to find it. The sprites were actually drawn or at least recolored as opposed to the lovely model rips that come up when I search for "zdoom doom 3". Does anybody remember seeing what I'm talking about, or was it just a figment of my imagination?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpLr2V9DOHE

I made 1 sort of finished room and then 10 completely unfinished ones. I also made a secret. Things are also broken due to ticking incorrect boxes.

I'm beginning to feel like a map god, map god

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There needs to be an overdetailed level that is by some standards REoL tough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

There needs to be an overdetailed level that is by some standards REoL tough.

Just name it Brutal Mordeth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So for people who make Doom levels itt, what is your workflow like? Initially I wanted to finish it one room at a time, but then I changed my mind and decided to lay out the floor plan of the whole level first completely default and then work on putting stuff in it.

I was thinking Lay out the whole level -> Do up the textures and poo poo -> Lighting -> Put enemies in -> Play through the level a couple times to get a good feel for where to put items -> Do that -> Jerk off while thinking about my masterpiece level -> Upload to Doom level sharing websites and receive fame and success

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 21, 2016

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Whatever admin thought up the anti-spambot question on SoF1.org needs to be punched repeatedly.

Explicitly why I said to just grab it from IsoZone. I couldn't figure out the anti-spam question at all. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Explicitly why I said to just grab it from IsoZone. I couldn't figure out the anti-spam question at all. :v:

The answers are "4" and "sorg", respectively. The idiot in charge of the site obviously doesn't speak English, because they are incapable of figuring out that "the first and last two letters of X" does not mean the same thing as "the first two and last two letters of X."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gonna make a map with a secret room that's just full of chaingunners and arch-viles so that others might feel my pain.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Gonna make a map with a secret room that's just full of chaingunners and arch-viles so that others might feel my pain.

But that doesn't make any sense why not put a BFG in it and have the BFG spawn in chaingunners and arch-viles ad infinitum

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

widespread posted:

But that doesn't make any sense why not put a BFG in it and have the BFG spawn in chaingunners and arch-viles ad infinitum

That's a better idea, yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I prefer a stable version installer but I'll take this. Thanks.

Map 01: DOOM HOUSE

CJacobs posted:

So for people who make Doom levels itt, what is your workflow like? Initially I wanted to finish it one room at a time, but then I changed my mind and decided to lay out the floor plan of the whole level first completely default and then work on putting stuff in it.

I was thinking Lay out the whole level -> Do up the textures and poo poo -> Lighting -> Put enemies in -> Play through the level a couple times to get a good feel for where to put items -> Do that -> Jerk off while thinking about my masterpiece level -> Upload to Doom level sharing websites and receive fame and success

Pretty much this, but I would say start playtesting the level before you even worry about textures or lighting. Just brush out all the spaces and get the general architecture and layout first, then put in some fine details in the room structure next once everything's laid out, then put in some monsters, then iterate on playing through and changing monsters/level layout until it feels good, then go through and do the polish pass, which is lighting, proper textures, etc.

I put down a few textures early on to help me remember what the plan is for a room, but you want to get to playing and testing as soon as possible before you worry about too much getting textures aligned and stuff.

When Valve make maps (sometimes), they lay down everything with generic orange textures and test the space, then they worry about getting the details right after it feels good.

If you listen to Romero, the man himself, he said he would playtest constantly, so he wouldn't even finish the level first. Brush out a few rooms, play through those rooms, then go back and add more on from there. The more you iterate, the better.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 21, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maps 1 to 32: tribalwar.com

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
watch doomguy start a loving war

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty much this, but I would say start playtesting the level before you even worry about textures or lighting. Just brush out all the spaces and get the general architecture and layout first, then put in some fine details in the room structure next once everything's laid out, then put in some monsters, then iterate on playing through and changing monsters/level layout until it feels good, then go through and do the polish pass, which is lighting, proper textures, etc.

I put down a few textures early on to help me remember what the plan is for a room, but you want to get to playing and testing as soon as possible before you worry about too much getting textures aligned and stuff.

When Valve make maps (sometimes), they lay down everything with generic orange textures and test the space, then they worry about getting the details right after it feels good.

If you listen to Romero, the man himself, he said he would playtest constantly, so he wouldn't even finish the level first. Brush out a few rooms, play through those rooms, then go back and add more on from there. The more you iterate, the better.

I'll keep all this in mind, thanks. The good thing about playtesting is that any Doom level takes maybe 5-ish minutes to beat give or take a few, so it's not all that time consuming compared to what most blockbuster stuff would be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'll keep all this in mind, thanks. The good thing about playtesting is that any Doom level takes maybe 5-ish minutes to beat give or take a few, so it's not all that time consuming compared to what most blockbuster stuff would be.

Not to mention that BSP compilation on modern hardware is instant. Compiling half-life 1 maps in Hammer back in the day could take like 5-10 minutes each time you wanted to playtest, even if you skipped the lighting. Makes the whole thing way more frustrating.

I think modern Unreal is pretty quick though? Which is good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"My Manc is Fight"

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

In all seriousness though, I guarantee that any map I end up making for a goon megawad will have way too goddamn many monster closets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LogicalFallacy posted:

In all seriousness though, I guarantee that any map I end up making for a goon megawad will have way too goddamn many monster closets.

Monster Condo 2: Trapped In The Closet