Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

DC has an Issue with gay characters.

They had several issues across Midnighter, Hellblazer and WW Earth One.
Batgirl and Black Canary too, if you wanna mix in transgender characters.

e:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Congratulations for realizing they exist I guess?

Also Batgirl is a terrible example for trans characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toxxupation posted:

DC has an Issue with gay characters, editorially speaking. I mean, Batwoman was a loving fiasco that required a soft reboot to fix, it was such a mother loving mess.

DC had Pied Piper and said that amazon's were in lesbian relationships in the early 90s. The Batwomen thing was a marriage problem not a gay problem.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the Rebirth redesigns for the Titans.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

They had several issues across Midnighter, Hellblazer and WW Earth One.
Batgirl and Black Canary too, if you wanna mix in transgender characters.

That entire Batwoman thing is hot loving bullshit and was ill-disguised homophobia masqueraded as some editorial fiat that doesn't make any sense, considering several counterexamples were brought up immediately and the creative team was caught so completely unawares they quit in protest. And that's not even the stuff they did after to the character or the fact that DC put an openly gay man on the book in a desperate attempt to appear not-homophobic.

Like come the gently caress on, dude. It's pretty gross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When will DC realize nobody gives a poo poo about Omen?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

That entire Batwoman thing is hot loving bullshit and was ill-disguised homophobia masqueraded as some editorial fiat that doesn't make any sense, considering several counterexamples were brought up immediately and the creative team was caught so completely unawares they quit in protest. And that's not even the stuff they did after to the character or the fact that DC put an openly gay man on the book in a desperate attempt to appear not-homophobic.

Like come the gently caress on, dude. It's pretty gross.

I'm not saying that didn't happen, but it's a fact that there's been prominent LGBT representation since.
e: No major superhero's been married since (e: gotten married since, I should say.) Though, Hellblazer's still got an issue to go. Crossed fingers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 21, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not saying that didn't happen, but it's a fact that there's been prominent LGBT representation since.

And I'm saying when the House of Ideas and loving Archie has had on-panel gay marriage, you still have Issues that need to be addressed, especially when the overall editorial direction is still Lee and DiDio.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

When will DC realize nobody gives a poo poo about Omen?

I have no idea who that even is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

And I'm saying when the House of Ideas and loving Archie has had on-panel gay marriage, you still have Issues that need to be addressed, especially when the overall editorial direction is still Lee and DiDio.

Have they had any marriage since then? I also liked how they ruined Animal Man's marriage with the death of his son.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Batwoman and Constantine are the only two queer DC characters I can think of that are major characters. Are there any others? Becuase when it comes to queer characters, or minority characters in general, they tend to fall to the wayside pretty quickly.

Like I know they made Alan Scott gay in the N52. Now unless he was part of a team book that had an ongoing or had his own ongoing, that REALLY doesn't mean much if he's never used.

Edit: Even with Constantine, how often does it come up that he is Bi. The only reason I know he is is because his wikipedia page says so.

bobkatt013 posted:

Have they had any marriage since then? I also liked how they ruined Animal Man's marriage with the death of his son.

I actually JUST read Morrison's Animal Man run...holy poo poo gently caress You DC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Batwoman and Constantine are the only two queer DC characters I can think of that are major characters. Are there any others? Becuase when it comes to queer characters, or minority characters in general, they tend to fall to the wayside pretty quickly.

Like I know they made Alan Scott gay in the N52. Now unless he was part of a team book that had an ongoing or had his own ongoing, that REALLY doesn't mean much if he's never used.

Edit: Even with Constantine, how often does it come up that he is Bi. The only reason I know he is is because his wikipedia page says so.

The entire current story line is about him and his boyfriend

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The entire current story line is about him and his boyfriend

Oh. Cool. Now is it actually good?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh. Cool. Now is it actually good?

The most recent volume has been pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BigRed0427 posted:

I actually JUST read Morrison's Animal Man run...holy poo poo gently caress You DC.

Alan is in Earth 2: Society, but he is some weird godlike being so his orientation is kind of nonexistent.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Midnighter was full of gay sex. It was great. The new Promethius was even his boyfriend.

John having a boyfriend is the through-line in the current series.

e: Beat on Constantine.

ee: I think the new Guardian or something in Doomed was gay. Not that that was a very auspicious comic to be placed in.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 21, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

If you haven't noticed I REALLY fell off DC when the N52 was going into it's second year. Guess I should be picking up some stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

Don't care too much for Roy (It's the stupid hat.) and have no idea who Omen is. No complaints about Troy or Garth.

But Nightwing looks great back in blue. It's amazing how much better the blue looks on him then the Red.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fair enough.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't care too much for Roy (It's the stupid hat.) and have no idea who Omen is. No complaints about Troy or Garth.

But Nightwing looks great back in blue. It's amazing how much better the blue looks on him then the Red.

Omen's an original Teen Titans run member, Pre-New Teen Titans that everyone is familiar with. That's basically the entire cast of Titans, folks who came before the Wolfman era.

Honestly she's basically just Raven without the whole Trigon thing going on. Aloof magicy feelings person.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: No major superhero's been married since. Though, Hellblazer's still got an issue to go. Crossed fingers.

Writers confirmed Arthur and Mera are married when fans asked about Mera being called his "Girlfriend" in a solicit.

DadSupes if he counts since he's moving into the main position.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I actually like he N52 design better.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BigRed0427 posted:

I actually like he N52 design better.

Nightwing's?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

X-O posted:

Roy looks horrible now :(

Granted, that is just because Booth and not the costume per se but still.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the new Guardian or something in Doomed was gay. Not that that was a very auspicious comic to be placed in.

That was the new Alpha Centurion. In fact Lobdell includes a gay character on his stories always he can, he created Bunker for the Titans, this new Centurion and Crux was supposed to be gay as well IIRC.

Anyways, here's Jason design for Rebirth

Basically the same costume he had in the animated movie

Just with the Red Bat added on his chest. As long they finally ditch the idiotic destro helmet I'm fine with it (although the exposed wrists look stupid)

I'd rather have Medri's redesign to be honest though.

Oh and here are Super Woman, Huntress, Deathstroke and Black Canary designs

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That Deathstroke is about a million times better than the N52 design.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Now Red Hood's mask makes it look like a knock off of Iron Man's.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jason looks like he is frowning.

Fitting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I was about to say his mask makes him look super sad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superwoman's suit kind of has a LOSH '94 kind of thing going on and I dig it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just warning people that newsrama is putting up spoilers so avoid.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I say everyone should just jump into the other thread feet-first. Let's get this over with :getin:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Midnighter is both gay as gently caress and also really good.

I doubt much has been done with it in New 52 because of this terrible forced romance with Superman but Wonder Woman is bisexual.

Also Catwoman was revealed as bi recently.

eta: MAN Batgirl & The Birds Of Prey is going to be a really well drawn book. I love every single one of those designs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'd rather have Medri's redesign to be honest though.

The sleeveless potato sack hoodie?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

That Deathstroke is about a million times better than the N52 design.

The sword is really dumb though. I get that he can't use a katana any more because Deadpool uses a katana, but still, the cross guard on that short sword looks like one of those sex toys that goes in both holes at once.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Codependent Poster posted:

Now Red Hood's mask makes it look like a knock off of Iron Man's.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jason looks like he is frowning.

Fitting.

X-O posted:

Yeah, I was about to say his mask makes him look super sad.

That is just how Camuncolli draws the helmet

I doubt Soy will draw it like that

Teenage Fansub posted:

The sleeveless potato sack hoodie?

drat right, it was loving awesome :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Newsarama's given the Rebirth one-shot a 10/10.
http://www.newsarama.com/29405-best-shot-review-dc-rebirth-special-1-10-10-no-spoilers.html
Apparently there's a separate spoiler filled review, but I ain't visiting the front page to find it.

Four Score posted:

The sword is really dumb though.

For what it's worth, Deathstroke's sword is right out of the past.

e: gently caress that other thread's grown. Everybody's gonna be over whatever it is by the time this actually comes out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: gently caress that other thread's grown. Everybody's gonna be over whatever it is by the time this actually comes out.

No, no they're not. Not for a long while. I'm intrigued enough to see where it goes, but it may be one of the most controversial things talked about in fan circles in a very long time. People will not be done arguing about this for years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan Didio warned ya!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm trying to keep it out of here but be careful guys if you go anywhere else. Newsarama has basically just said gently caress it and spoiled the entire book now so it's pretty much all out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teenage Fansub posted:

For what it's worth, Deathstroke's sword is right out of the past.

The crossguard still curve the wrong way though, ideally you want to use it to catch the opponent's blade, not guide it towards your arm/torso. The dildos should grow towards the blade and out basically.