Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

dropkickpikachu posted:

If you want a good co-op deckbuilder, I would recommend Legendary Encounters in a heartbeat over SotM.

What's the gameplay difference between Marvel Legendary and Legendary Encounters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zurui posted:

What's the gameplay difference between Marvel Legendary and Legendary Encounters?

Marvel is semi-coop in that you are trying to score the most points while cooperating with each other. And unless you buy into the expansions, it's very much a steamrolling kind of game where you will keep being rewarded in points and in power for defeating the villains.

Encounters is based on the Alien franchise and has none of the point gathering and winning of Marvel. You simply survive or not. The core mechanic of playing then buying cards is the same, but the particulars do change between the games. I'd also say Encounters is harder than Marvel but you get more of sense of teamwork going on.

Of note, all the cards from Legendary games are compatible.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've only played Marvel once and Encoutners a few times.

I liked that Legendary has a different scenario for each Alien movie. The co-op seems better. MUCH tougher to win.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Impermanent posted:

playing the comparison game of "women in saudi arabia can't drive, we treat women great" is how western female disempowerment is able to stay alive. We still pay women 70 cents on a man's dollar, don't test their rape kits, and are the place where sex tourists come from.

Your line about the values of western culture being responsible for its ability to kick rear end reveals that you don't really care about the moral integrity of the culture you champion. Are we better than the saudi arabia because women can drive in the u.s., or are we worse than other cultures because of the many genocides and coloniallly-fueled slaughtering of native cultures?

No one complaining about titty miniatures does so because we're worried about the children near nerds seeing a butt. If I knew someone who owned kingdom death I would be afraid of them being near children, but for different reasons. You can sell poo poo and make money temporarily by making minis like that but you poison the well by making the hobby a worse place for women. Did that line of logic escape you somehow? It's not about how much money they make, it's about what the presence of that line of minis does to the image of the hobby as a whole, and how welcoming or unwelcoming it is. Holy gently caress, who do you think actually believes children will wind up seeing a kingdom death mini by accident?

And newsflash: "etc" people are already at a point where we have spending money to buy board games. I'm filipino and I spend too much goddamn time and money on this hobby for dipshits like you to act like I gotta wait my turn until the industry reflects what I want.

Look, part of me thinks that this conversation shouldn't be being had here, but the board game thread is the only place on this site where issues about board games are talked about, and practically the only place on the internet where they're talked about well (with the exception of the heavy cardboard podcast and SU&SD, maybe a smattering of youtubers.) Your eurocentric patriarchal bullshit will get tolerated anywhere but here, so maybe go to boardgamegeek and start commenting on how much you want to gently caress other dudes' wives instead of posting inane crap about the inevitability of western empire and other antiquated historical notions we moved away from in the 1900s.

1. Women in the west enjoy the most rights and privileges out of ALL THE COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD. It's not still not perfect, yes, but I'm willing to cut the west some slack because it's still the best place for a woman to live in by a mile.

2. Yes we in the west are certainly better than Saudi Arabia because we let our women drive. Europeans were not the only people in history genociding and colonizing native cultures, everyone did that back in the day. The Middle East is Islamic now because Prophet Mohammad subjugated and conquered his neighbors, there was centuries-long Arab slave trade in Africa long before Europeans came in and took over, Native Americans tribes were enslaving each other long before Europeans arrived on the scene, Mongols conquered/subjugated a poo poo load of Asian/Middle Eastern/European countries murdering millions, etc. Europeans just turned out to be so much better at it in the long run.

3. No-one cares about poisoning the well. Every board game company is in the business to make money, and does what it can to do it. The bigger, established game companies tend to avoid controversial elements in their games because they have a reputation and because they don't want to alienate potential gamers(like women) from their brand. Other board game companies cater specifically to gross horny nerds, and don't give a poo poo. The company that makes kingdom death killed two birds with one stone by marketing their game as "boutique." It's just business, and the only way to change it is by making it unprofitable. It's especially funny since more people are interested in/playing board games than ever before, but no, it's still not perfect so it's not good enough I guess :shrug:

4. You post on a board game thread on an obscure comedy forum and know what BGG is, which makes you the equivalent of those people that line up for new iPhones the night before launch day. Board game companies don't care about what you think or want because they already know that you're a board game lifer.

5. Inevitability of the western empire is a historical fact. Globalization is basically another word for westernization. It's how thousands of Pinoys get to enjoy McDonalds every day in their tropical paradise :allears:

Namaste

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Exhibit A of the type of person that plays a Waffen SS unit very seriously

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I haven't yet played any of the modules, I just finished poping out the chits and gave the rule book a quick glance. I was planning to give it a whirl tonight, but from my quick glance the games all seem fairly simplistic (as is to be expected). I think 504 may be the Kingdom Death of euro games. Like Kingdom death is just a way to sell boob miniatures, 504 is just a thinly veiled excuse to sell people a huge box full of generic wooden meeples, hex tiles, and resource tokens.

I will report back once I have explored several "worlds"

If Nomic isn't one of the 504 games, it seems like a wasted opportunity.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Wtf I thought you were concern trolling but it turns out you're a complete douchebag whose response to entire groups being excluded from the genre is "shrug"

Your "companies just do what sells" point is the bullshit justification that makes me unable to buy Black Widow or Scarlet Witch merch.

Shut. the gently caress. up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Wtf I thought you were concern trolling but it turns out you're a complete douchebag whose response to entire groups being excluded from the genre is "shrug"

Your "companies just do what sells" point is the bullshit justification that makes me unable to buy Black Widow or Scarlet Witch merch.

Shut. the gently caress. up.

But muh white superiority

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Present posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I have no problem saying that the values of political freedom, capitalism, individualism, democracy, scientific inquiry, rationalism, and open debate, values that define what western culture is, make it a BETTER culture than a culture that for example kills gays or treats women like second class citizens, etc. Am I a bad person too? :(
Yes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Present posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion here, but I have no problem saying that the values of political freedom, capitalism, individualism, democracy, scientific inquiry, rationalism, and open debate, values that define what western culture is, make it a BETTER culture than a culture that for example kills gays or treats women like second class citizens, etc. Am I a bad person too? :(

There are people in the West that would watch gays die and would keep women in kitchens if they could. Many are in positions of power. Your values are not defined by your location on the globe.

Tying this into board games...in Archipelago, that symbol of revolution (or whatever it's called...revolt?) is pretty loving racist, but is the concept of the game bad? I'm not really familiar with the setting or its time, but, well, that's what happened back then, isn't it? Can no games be set in that time, or let you play as colonials, because doing so would mean it's completely racist?

I like the mechanics of the game :(.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Present posted:

Globalization is basically another word for westernization.

Anime

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I will actually defend Archipelago with certain reservations because it's a better exploration of the theme that most colonial games. The natives have agency, can win the game, and push back against the colonists. It also thematically points out how religion is used to control revolts. The art without question has some blatant colorism going on, but I think the mechanics elevate it above Puerto Rico, for example.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Morpheus posted:

There are people in the West that would watch gays die and would keep women in kitchens if they could. Many are in positions of power. Your values are not defined by your location on the globe.

Tying this into board games...in Archipelago, that symbol of revolution (or whatever it's called...revolt?) is pretty loving racist, but is the concept of the game bad? I'm not really familiar with the setting or its time, but, well, that's what happened back then, isn't it? Can no games be set in that time, or let you play as colonials, because doing so would mean it's completely racist?

I like the mechanics of the game :(.

The problem is that the game doesn't do anything interesting with the history to justify the inclusion of the historic flavor that backs the mechanics. There's an argument to be had about whether it's more or less problematic to tie the mechanics so closely to colonization and slavery, but the game doesn't really earn it - - despite how good it is.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

I like Rutibex's enthusiasm and his DIY aesthetic. Sad to hear about his messed up opinions :(

What kind of social group do people here normally enage with when playing boardgames? Do you usually play with a group of established friends, or do you go to a local group specifically for the purpose of gaming? Sadly it seems my gaming friends aren't interested in playing anything besides Magic. My normal friends are happy to play a board game or two but I can't imagine them ever delving deeply into the strategy of Kemet or Dominion. Playing with random strangers could be fun, I guess?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

The problem is that the game doesn't do anything interesting with the history to justify the inclusion of the historic flavor that backs the mechanics. There's an argument to be had about whether it's more or less problematic to tie the mechanics so closely to colonization and slavery, but the game doesn't really earn it - - despite how good it is.

Yep, between the two of us that's pretty much The Discussion on Archipelago.

Morpheus posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I haven't played Archipelago but from what I've seen the only thing that really makes me feel weird is the art. But this is coming from someone who will happily play a game about a twenty year drug-fueled murderous insurgency.

Also please shut the gently caress up with politics chat, even if you're right its stupid to talk about it here

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I will actually defend Archipelago with certain reservations because it's a better exploration of the theme that most colonial games. The natives have agency, can win the game, and push back against the colonists. It also thematically points out how religion is used to control revolts. The art without question has some blatant colorism going on, but I think the mechanics elevate it above Puerto Rico, for example.

I can never decide whether it's worse to hamhandedly acknowledge exploitation (Archipelago) or hand-wave it away (18xx, any wargame). So I ignore it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Morpheus posted:

Can no games be set in that time, or let you play as colonials, because doing so would mean it's completely racist?

This is a good question and the answer is: there's a difference between getting to play as the colonials and treating the colonials as the "good guys" or the exclusive protagonists. Archipelago suffers from the idea that the indigenous peoples are a force that makes you "lose" which means that winning is an implicit acknowledgement that you've subjugated the "natives." Colonialism is hosed up and so making a game where, historically, you're playing as the people who committed mass genocide and enslaved those they didn't murder is really hosed up. That doesn't mean that you can't have games set in this period or play as the people who did that. You just can't portray it as "good" or "winning." Too many people use the excuse that it's "historical" when they really mean it's "the way that the Europeans saw it." If we're going to do history, we need to incorporate more perspectives.

Example of a game that's better: You play as a Colonist or a Native. The Colonist has a choice whether to treat the Native player's group well (and receive benefits for doing so) or to subjugate and receive more benefits but risk reprisals (from an active and likely incensed player) and face the notion that you've won by loving up an entire society. The Natives aren't required to treat the Colonists well, though; they might say "gently caress off" even if the Colonist is nice because they have no guarantee that will continue.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Present posted:

On a side note, there's a line of thinking that says the values of western culture were the reason why the western world came to dominate the rest of the world. That the combination of all these western values, when applied to waging war, was particularly devastating, and that other cultures could not, in the long run, stop the west from kicking their rear end.

The Mongols came very close to punching the clock on Europe, so the jury will forever be out on that.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

I like Rutibex's enthusiasm and his DIY aesthetic. Sad to hear about his messed up opinions :(

What kind of social group do people here normally enage with when playing boardgames? Do you usually play with a group of established friends, or do you go to a local group specifically for the purpose of gaming? Sadly it seems my gaming friends aren't interested in playing anything besides Magic. My normal friends are happy to play a board game or two but I can't imagine them ever delving deeply into the strategy of Kemet or Dominion. Playing with random strangers could be fun, I guess?

I play pretty much exclusively with my friends. One group is the type that uses board games as a pure social experience, so if left unchecked things like 10 person Quelf and CAH will fly. I've tried to get them to break up into two groups to play less brain dead games, but no luck. I've tried to sway their opinions with Codenames, Avalon, and Snake Oil. My other group is a married couple. They prefer coop and thematic ("it has a good story") games, as in their collection is almost entirely coop and thematic games. They are willing to at least try some medium-heavy stuff, but it may mean I can only play it once. They enjoy things like 7 Wonders and Evolution, but I could only play Dungeon Lords and Castles of Burgundy once with them.

My city doesn't have the most robust board game meetup community. I've gone a few times to different places. I find that my problem is that I don't feel comfortable trying to rope people into playing their own games. I should still go if I have any hopes of playing some of my collection again, but I'm shy and don't want to play Epic Spell Wars or Concept for undefined amounts of time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Zurui posted:

This is a good question and the answer is: there's a difference between getting to play as the colonials and treating the colonials as the "good guys" or the exclusive protagonists. Archipelago suffers from the idea that the indigenous peoples are a force that makes you "lose" which means that winning is an implicit acknowledgement that you've subjugated the "natives." Colonialism is hosed up and so making a game where, historically, you're playing as the people who committed mass genocide and enslaved those they didn't murder is really hosed up. That doesn't mean that you can't have games set in this period or play as the people who did that. You just can't portray it as "good" or "winning." Too many people use the excuse that it's "historical" when they really mean it's "the way that the Europeans saw it." If we're going to do history, we need to incorporate more perspectives.

Example of a game that's better: You play as a Colonist or a Native. The Colonist has a choice whether to treat the Native player's group well (and receive benefits for doing so) or to subjugate and receive more benefits but risk reprisals (from an active and likely incensed player) and face the notion that you've won by loving up an entire society. The Natives aren't required to treat the Colonists well, though; they might say "gently caress off" even if the Colonist is nice because they have no guarantee that will continue.

Well, there is the native sympathiser victory condition.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

dropkickpikachu posted:

Good god no. It's the fiddliest, most tedious, choice-free game. It just drags and drags and none of the cards interact with each other in meaningful or interesting ways. Check out the app on mobile or Steam if you need confirmation of this. If you want a good co-op deckbuilder, I would recommend Legendary Encounters in a heartbeat over SotM. Or if you want a good constructed deck co-op card game, check out the Lord of The Rings LCG. Or if you want to chuck some dice cooperatively with cards, try the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game.

Alternatively, as one of the few people here that like Sentinels, I will offer the opposite opinion:

I disagree with all those adjectives, at least in that it's the "most" of any of them. It can be fiddly keeping up with the all the +1s, but it's really not that big of a deal and they have a free app that works well if it does bother you. I don't find it tedious but that's preference. As for being choice free, I also disagree. The issue is that it can be solved and that most decisions will have an optimal choice. The real choices in the game are based on which targets to go after and less which card to play. As for how cards interact, it heavily depends on the characters. Some are dependent on synergy and others have none.

I wouldn't recommend playing it with more than two players as the down time can be bad, especially if you aren't drawing the right cards. But two players playing two characters works well. I'm not saying it's a great game but in my opinion it's not as bad as most people in this thread claim it to be. It does have problems but some of them I think are fixed by keeping the player count down and playing as multiple characters.

All that said, I would also recommend Legendary Encounters over Sentinels.

Lord of the Rings: LCG is a okay game but understand that a huge part of the game is building the deck specific to each mission. You mentioned Magic so maybe that's good for you, but it was most certainly not for me. It's also very difficult and the RNG can and will screw you.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Sailor Viy posted:

I was fortunate enough to gain most of my friends through my university's gaming club. Yes, there were plenty of shits there, but now that we're all out, we just hang out with the ones we like.

I also have a group of older friends from the CCG days but they had kids and poo poo so I barely ever see them anymore.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Lord of the Rings: LCG is a okay game but understand that a huge part of the game is building the deck specific to each mission.

Is that true even for multiplayer?

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is that true even for multiplayer?

I've only ever played it 2 player and it was true for us.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Goon, sitting at his computer, sweating into his $9.95 XXXL Walmart t-shirt made in a Bangladeshi shanty by children:

"Dear Rio Grande Games, I am writing to you about your game Puerto Rico. I am absolutely appalled that on top of making a game celebrating colonization, you would have the gall to set the color of your so-called "worker" markers to dark brown. In this day and age, this is completely unacceptable..."

Cell phone assembled in a suicide-proof Chinese factory rings:

"No mom, I don't time to come over to help you cut the lawn today!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
maybe if I call people who disagree with me fat and poor then other people will think my lovely opinions are good

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Present posted:

Goon, sitting at his computer, sweating into his $9.95 XXXL Walmart t-shirt made in a Bangladeshi shanty by children:

"Dear Rio Grande Games, I am writing to you about your game Puerto Rico. I am absolutely appalled that on top of making a game celebrating colonization, you would have the gall to set the color of your so-called "worker" markers to dark brown. In this day and age, this is completely unacceptable..."

Cell phone assembled in a suicide-proof Chinese factory rings:

"No mom, I don't time to come over to help you cut the lawn today!"

Dang I was gonna argue but you got my number. You win this time, Western Culture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

I'll even defend the art. It's literally just Maori tribesmen doing the haka, and they do it in the game only when you take their poo poo or put them out of work. The only way to make them more happy is to stop being lovely to them.

Archipelago also doesn't distinguish between colonists and the local workers you hire on any level, including marriage.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

[...] as one of the few people here that like Sentinels, I will offer the opposite opinion:[...] It can be fiddly keeping up with the all the +1s, but it's really not that big of a deal and they have a free app [...]

If you're referring to Sentinels Sidekick, it's not free, it's $4.99.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Countblanc posted:

maybe if I call people who disagree with me fat and poor then other people will think my lovely opinions are good

It's a funny tho.

I guess it's weird to me to hear people reject this game or that game because it's "problematic," while at the same time continuing to enjoy their western lives. Lives that are as awesome and indulgent as they are as a direct result of people in the third world continuing to bust their rear end in near-slavery conditions. But no, playing Archipelago is what crosses the line.

Anyway, I'm done making GBS threads up this thread. Thanks for allowing me discover the LOTR LCG tho, that game is dope.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

If by "funny" you mean, it's a tu quoque, or appeal to hypocrisy fallacy, sure.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Take up the White Meeple's burden, Send forth the best ye breed
Go place markers on cities, to serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness, On fluttered folk and wild—
Your new-caught, sullen players, Half-devil and half-child.

Take up the White Meeple's burden, In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of boredom And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple, An hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit, And work another's gain.

Take up the White Meeples burden, the Spiel des Jahres winner—
Fill their hands with Cards And give dice to the beginner;
And when your goal is nearest The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and randomized Mechanics Bring all your hopes to nought.

Take up the White Meeple's burden, No tawdry rule of lames,
But toil of Brass and Agricola, The tale of Catan games.
The stores ye shall not enter, The games they call to hard,
Go mark them with your tokens, And mark them with your card.

Take up the White Meeple's burden And his old reward reap:
The blame of those ye better, The hate of those ye teach—
The cry of hosts ye humour (Ah, slowly!) toward the light:—
"Why brought he us from bondage, Our loved Monopoly night?"

Take up the White Meeple's burden, Ye dare not stoop to less—
Nor call too loud on To cloak your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper, By all ye leave or do,
The silent, sullen peoples Shall weigh your games and you.

Take up the White Meeple's burden, Have done with childish days—
The lightly profferred laurel, The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood, through all the thankless years
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom, The judgment of your peers!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Pack up your poo poo, thread is over.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Holy poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Comrade Gorbash posted:

:eyepop:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zurui posted:

Pack up your poo poo, thread is over.

I don't get it, is it a smart person reference?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't get it, is it a smart person reference?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Man%27s_Burden

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I bought Caylus on a whim a couple weeks ago, and it is really great. There have been a few times where I've gotten screwed by the provost, but instead of moving it forwards, like my friends victims expected, I moved it further back, screwing them over. Something consistent from my games is that I'm bad with money, but I still do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Whoever changed the thread title, thank you.