Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is amazing how a european city map looks like a spider web on drugs

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Where do people more often tweet 'Merica or 'Murica?

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 20, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So "Murica" is mostly ironically used.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

So "Murica" is mostly ironically used.

They both are. 'Merica/'Murica is literally the exact same number of letters as America. The only reason it's a word at all is because it's faster to say.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Forgot to include Mine/Tunnel collapse on the key eh?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Politically loaded because it calls a white person a terrorist. :v:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Only because they counted dead blacks in Tulsa as 3/5 of a person after they firebombed it from the air.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Like four states should have Trail of Tears there

EDIT: Which state has the smallest worst disaster? I think Oregon (eight people dead)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 21, 2016

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Crimea is still part of Ukraine in this map,

Also Syria has been split down the middle with half being the regime flag and half the flag of the FSA, which is its own :can:

Even more :can:, the part of the country covered with the revolution flag has almost* no FSA presence, it's either Daesh/SDF/Regime.

*(al-Tanf and that brigade northwest of DeZ, basically)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

It is strange that terrorist acts are counted but not acts of war.

I guess if they were Hawaii's deadliest even would be Pearl Harbor.

And all of the south-east (+Pennsylvania) would be civil war battles.

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Even more :can:, the part of the country covered with the revolution flag has almost* no FSA presence, it's either Daesh/SDF/Regime.

*(al-Tanf and that brigade northwest of DeZ, basically)

I suspect this map was made ~2013

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Finally Alabama is the winner in one of these.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like how the only shipwrecks are in inland states.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm curious if Guam is the USS Indianapolis (the ship that sank and whose survivors were eaten by sharks) or Korean Air Flight 801.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Peanut President posted:

I'm curious if Guam is the USS Indianapolis (the ship that sank and whose survivors were eaten by sharks) or Korean Air Flight 801.

Because actions directly caused by war don't seem to be on the map I don't think it would be the Indianapolis.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

DarkCrawler posted:

Like four states should have Trail of Tears there

EDIT: Which state has the smallest worst disaster? I think Oregon (eight people dead)

Delaware

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's because most of the bigger shipwrecks for coastal states weren't actually in state waters, or were smaller than something else. If you'd made that map before 2001, I think New York's biggest disaster previous was some ship that went down in the harbor, but that wouldn't be as big as 2000 people int he twin towers.

Edit: went and checked and yeah. In 1904, the PS General Slocum sank in the East River between Manhattan and Brooklyn, killing 1021 people. Only 321 people who were on board managed to survive.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 21, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I looked up the Tennessee one cuz I was like "HOW is an inland's state's biggest disaster a ship-wreck?!" Yeah boiler explosion on a riverboat, 1800ish dead. That'd uh, that'd do it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
People need to learn about Ctrl+Enter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In Belarus only the secret police have access to Google. They're not very good.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Oh, Moldova :allears:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Scandinavia does the dumbest poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess they're typing in 'google' in their address bar, not realizing that it's already Google on Chrome and Firefox. It looks stupid on a map but makes sense.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's with all the microstates googling themselves? Tourists?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nobody uses bookmarks anymore and typing stuff is the most convenient way to use a computer (the command line won the UI war).

To me people typing Google means a diverse interest, while people typing facebook or vk are just tryiing to see what their friends are doing. The clear winners are the red countries.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

What's with all the microstates googling themselves? Tourists?

Seems like they include partial search queries - so I guess in those places they add their country names to searches to make sure Google returns country relevant results. Like the Swiss specifying they are looking for weather / traffic in Switzerland, because otherwise they would get German websites, same Cyprus / Greece, San Marino / Italy.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 23, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

I guess they're typing in 'google' in their address bar, not realizing that it's already Google on Chrome and Firefox. It looks stupid on a map but makes sense.

They might also want to access Google itself to see the doodle or whatever you call it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tei posted:

Nobody uses bookmarks anymore and typing stuff is the most convenient way to use a computer (the command line won the UI war).

To me people typing Google means a diverse interest, while people typing facebook or vk are just tryiing to see what their friends are doing. The clear winners are the red countries.

I for one use an elborate bookmark system with many folders and subfolders. I hate typing poo poo, but when I do its in my firefox that is so heavily customized I can't even upgrade it to the current version anymore. I'd rather have my custom search bar than be able to view youtube.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Count Roland posted:

I for one use an elborate bookmark system with many folders and subfolders. I hate typing poo poo, but when I do its in my firefox that is so heavily customized I can't even upgrade it to the current version anymore. I'd rather have my custom search bar than be able to view youtube.

I'm not sure what you're talking about because I'm on the latest version and still have the old style searchbar behavior due to one setting or another.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tei posted:

Is amazing how a european city map looks like a spider web on drugs

If that's done by Nasa, why are they using weird-rear end foreign spelling for caffeine? I think you got fooled by a fwd, bro.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Those probably aren't even spiderwebs

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I doubt these so-called "spiders" even exist

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tei posted:

NASA did MRIs of people who had just drunk caffeine, and this is what they saw

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

boom boom boom posted:

If that's done by Nasa, why are they using weird-rear end foreign spelling for caffeine? I think you got fooled by a fwd, bro.

It's true it's almost certainly not a study done by NASA, but the idea of testing the effects of drugs on spiders doesn't strike me as all that implausible for a study. However "caffeine has an adverse effect on spiders" doesn't seem like a particularly interesting finding; any more than "chocolate has an adverse effect on dogs" means we need to stop eating that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

quote:

Witt's research was discontinued, but it became reinvigorated in 1984 after a paper by J.A. Nathanson in the journal Science,[4] which is discussed below. In 1995, a NASA research group repeated Witt's experiments on the effect of caffeine, benzedrine, marijuana and chloral hydrate on European garden spiders. NASA's results were qualitatively similar to those of Witt, but the novelty was that the pattern of the spider web was quantitatively analyzed with modern statistical tools, and proposed as a sensitive method of drug detection.[1][5]
More spider web pictures here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_psychoactive_drugs_on_animals#Spiders

That picture above was probably pulled from a NASA journal, given German subtitles for some German magazine, and that's the version that ended up online.

But seriously, calling a research image a fraud because it has German text on it? That's the most politically loaded thing I've seen today in the politically loaded maps thread.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Wikipedia posted:

The initial motivation for the study was a request from his colleague, zoologist H. M. Peters, to shift the time when garden spiders build their webs from 2am–5am, which apparently annoyed Peters, to earlier hours.

This is the gooniest thing I've ever heard, lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

It's true it's almost certainly not a study done by NASA, but the idea of testing the effects of drugs on spiders doesn't strike me as all that implausible for a study. However "caffeine has an adverse effect on spiders" doesn't seem like a particularly interesting finding; any more than "chocolate has an adverse effect on dogs" means we need to stop eating that.
It's probably expected. Caffeine is an insecticide, and most likely works on the octopamine system that arthropods have. And humans don't.

I guess it would be an interesting finding as part of studying how caffeine works as an insecticide and how wide spectrum it is. Or if you were studying how the octopamine system affects coordination in spiders. It just doesn't tell you much about caffeine in humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

and yesterday this happened in the Austrian presidential election:

quote:

Independent Alexander Van der Bellen beat the Freedom Party's Norbert Hofer by just 31,000 votes among the 4.64 million cast in Sunday's election.