Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
window seats own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

window seats own

At 6'3" aisle seats own so I can stretch my legs out.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

FYI if anyone is trying to fly in or out of SLC... The power is out in the entire valley, including the airport. At least my hotel bar is still open...?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Do they even serve alcohol in bars in SLC?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Barry posted:

Do they even serve alcohol in bars in SLC?

Yeah.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

But the bartender has to go behind a partition to mix you a drink

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

At 6'3" aisle seats own so I can stretch my legs out.

coach lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I am presently 7 hours out from IAD flying from Munich.

What is the etiquette surrounding drinking on a long-haul flight? I kind of wanna knock some back because I am basically on vacation for the next 3 weeks.

Also: $100 for an insane stretch seating upgrade for a 9.5 hour flight is beautiful when you are 6'6". Round-trip to Germany was $20 otherwise, thank you points!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You used points on a economy seat? What the hell for?

Also drink whatever the hell you want

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

19 o'clock posted:

What is the etiquette surrounding drinking on a long-haul flight?

What's the amount where you won't be able to be coherent going through customs after you land?

Try to keep yourself to at least one drink below that. Other than that go crazy.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

sellouts posted:

You used points on a economy seat? What the hell for?

Also drink whatever the hell you want

Some of us our poors and only have enough points for coach.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah, all my travel is domestic and I have to use the corporate card for my expenses. So while points aren't at a premium I don't have an unlimited number. Plus I'm normally buying a pair of tickets when I use points. So I tend to use points for coach on the outbound and business on the way home.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Precisely this.

I'll do myself a solid and keep myself upright for customs. Just wanted to be sure I'm not going to be looked at abnormally if I smash a several beers and watch some movies.

We flew American to Germany and I'm on Lufthansa coming back. So much nicer than AA going there, although I think that has lots to do with how new the plane is.

Let's see if I can't beat the Wade Boggs record by time I touch down in Dulles...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do mostly domestic travel but I still earn faster than I can realistically spend.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

19 o'clock posted:

Precisely this.

I'll do myself a solid and keep myself upright for customs. Just wanted to be sure I'm not going to be looked at abnormally if I smash a several beers and watch some movies.

We flew American to Germany and I'm on Lufthansa coming back. So much nicer than AA going there, although I think that has lots to do with how new the plane is.

Let's see if I can't beat the Wade Boggs record by time I touch down in Dulles...

If ever there was an airline that wouldn't blink at you tossing a few back, I would think it would be Lufthansa. I don't think they even charge for beer unless you're ordering it outside of the standard drink runs.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Noctone posted:

If ever there was an airline that wouldn't blink at you tossing a few back, I would think it would be Lufthansa. I don't think they even charge for beer unless you're ordering it outside of the standard drink runs.

When I fly Air France and I'm in a mood, I'll do champagne before dinner, two glasses of wine with dinner and a pear brandy afterwards. I got called a wimp by fellow passengers because I wasn't going to drink beer in the back afterwards. Euro airlines are great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what the gently caress airline charges for alcohol on transoceanic flights?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
My general rule of thumb is to keep asking for doubles until you land or the cabin attendant expresses disgust, whichever comes first

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

What's the amount where you won't be able to be coherent going through customs after you land?

Try to keep yourself to at least one drink below that. Other than that go crazy.

That was the best part of flying Doha to Dallas. It was long enough to get loving blasted, sleep for 8 hours, have a couple drinks to get past the hangover, and be sober as a judge at customs.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
So far I'm only on beer number four. That's less than one an hour. About three hours left then I'm being picked up by a friend for a 23 hour layover before heading home.

Each time I've asked they are happy to comply. I'll do my best to see if I can't get to a point where I'm spraying beer all over the place.

Sucks if anybody is ever charged on a transoceanic. That was always the major selling point to me strapping in for half a day breathing recycled air.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
My record was 12 Dewars and two red wines with dinner, DXB-IAD on Emirates. That was pretty twisted. I almost needed a catheter.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My limit on the plane is like 4 or so, something about the dryness of the air makes me feel like poo poo.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

TheImmigrant posted:

I almost needed a catheter.

Holy poo poo.

I'm a huge pussy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My limit on the plane is like 4 or so, something about the dryness of the air makes me feel like poo poo.

ditto

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Noctone posted:

I mean they bring a drat cocktail cart around. Why yes, lovely blond German flight attendant, I would like a whiskey and soda before dinner.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Flying first class OGG-SFO-DEN since it was only a few bones to upgrade (and I might get to expense it anyways) so I guess I'm in for the Wade Boggs challenge today as well.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Also if anyone wants to experience flying the way it used to be, come to Hawaii and take an inter-island commuter flight. I did a quick jaunt from Maui to Moloka'i and back a couple weeks ago and it was dope as hell. No TSA bullshit (no security screening at all, in fact), no tedious check-in procedures. Just show up like 15 min before your flight to check in and then walk out to a little puddle jumper plane and go.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
An hour to touching down and I only got to number 7 in 9.5 hours. I'm ashamed of myself. Next time I'm flying with a friend to maybe establish some morale and spirit toward the endeavor.

I like that they were serving breakfast sausages for this last one.

"Would you like some coffee with your food?"
"May I have a beer?"
*kuh-sitz*

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
My upgrade rate this year as a DM has been pretty awesome. I think I've only sat in the back 3-4 times, and I'm already a PM again for next year. Looks like this will be my last year though since I'm being reduced to 15-20% travel instead of the 75-85% I was doing.

TheImmigrant posted:

My record was 12 Dewars and two red wines with dinner, DXB-IAD on Emirates. That was pretty twisted. I almost needed a catheter.
DTW-NRT I had probably 10-12. More if you count the 2 hours in the DTW sky club and the BNA-DTW flight. I started to sober up somewhere over the sea of Okhotsk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You gotta mix some water in there too along the way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The point is more that it's a poor value over saving a bit longer

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
Not if the value is getting to go on a trip you may not otherwise have been able to afford.

I use a lot of my miles on coach with no regrets. I'll take 2 awesome trips over getting to sit slightly more comfortably for 8 hours one way. I love business class and all, but it seems more like a pissing contest sometimes that loses sight of the point of travel for fun.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I dunno. I can't escape it and for vacation stuff I either find an insane deal or am pathetic enough to wait for what feels like the lowest price.

I see both sides of it though. I guess using miles feels like a treat and economy travel just isn't a treat no matter where I am going. And I can't use the miles to justify the difference in what I would pay cash for economy tickets. The difference isn't that high most of the time.

Only exception is of course family emergencies. Then points to save on last minute fares are a huge deal.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
That really was the situation this time, too. It was flying to Germany to visit the girlfriend's family so we were pooling our miles for both of us to make sure we flew as free as possible. Scheduling drove this trip. Also, we don't travel nearly as much as you maniacs so don't have the miles balances that y'all have.

Flying home today (23 hour layover to visit mom) and hoping to stay there until maybe October when my work puts me on the road again. This thread is awesomely therapeutic and I'm a loving Bambi compared to y'all.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

BananaFusion posted:

Not if the value is getting to go on a trip you may not otherwise have been able to afford.

I use a lot of my miles on coach with no regrets. I'll take 2 awesome trips over getting to sit slightly more comfortably for 8 hours one way. I love business class and all, but it seems more like a pissing contest sometimes that loses sight of the point of travel for fun.

I ALWAYS fly varmint class if I'm paying. There's no way I'm paying an extra $4k for a marginal adjustment in comfort for 15 hours. That said, I love that I can demand of clients that they get me drunk and pampered to travel to take their money.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to use points for long haul flights for business class during summer or any special holidays.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
When I was in my 20s, I used points to fly mostly domestic and occasionally international, always in economy. As I grew older, I started using points exclusively on EU business class and for SO's international flights so they could fly for free.

Hmm.... I wonder what happened. There must be a connection...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Noctone posted:

I had a stewardess on an ANA flight from NRT to ORD once comment on my fortitude after like 6-7 Japanese whiskys, but they kept coming.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

SoftNum posted:

I had a stewardess on an ANA flight from NRT to ORD once comment on my fortitude after like 6-7 Japanese whiskys, but they kept coming.

I'm about to book ANA F ORD-NRT and the only thing keeping me from trying to drink half a bottle of Hibiki 21 is the shochu/sake selection. Not to mention Krug...

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Anyone know details about EU flight cancellation compensation? I wasn't aware that non-EU carriers were subject to EU compensation laws if departing from the EU. I assumed that a Canadian carrier operating LGW-Canada would be under Canadian laws, which offer 0 protection to the passenger, so I accepted a $200 (CAD) travel voucher over the phone.

EU compensation says I'm owed ~$885 in cash. Any idea if my accepting the voucher invalidates my claim? When I was on the phone, I was more concerned about being rebooked on the next flight than worrying about accepting or rejecting the $200 they threw me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I love watching someone throw a tantrum on the jetbridge and storm off because the fabric had separated near the handle of their comically overstuffed $30 bag when they retrieved it from gate check.