Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

alcharagia posted:

Did we meet different Speedwagons?
In Part 2, Joseph grills Erina on why she never got together with her bff Speedwagon after Jonathan dies and she gets mad and Joseph apologies saying that she's right, Speedwagon is too loyal of a friend to Jonathan.

Speedwagon died alone at 89 because he's too good of a friend and then he became an oil tycoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I never got the sense that Speedwagon actually had a thing for Erina, that was just Joseph being obnoxious.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Momomo posted:

I never got the sense that Speedwagon actually had a thing for Erina, that was just Joseph being obnoxious.

the first time I went through that scene I thought he was implying speedwagon was gay and was like man Joseph really does have all the answers.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Me neither, but the possibility was always there as they both lost someone incredibly important to each other. It feels more like they both recognized it was an option, but decided not to out of respect for Jonathan.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

the first time I went through that scene I thought he was implying speedwagon was gay and was like man Joseph really does have all the answers.

Honestly I still take it that way :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Moltrey posted:

Me neither, but the possibility was always there as they both lost someone incredibly important to each other. It feels more like they both recognized it was an option, but decided not to out of respect for Jonathan.

I mean, the only thing I'm getting from this is that they were two people that were single at the same time. That doesn't really equate him to Mountain Tim.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

I mean, the only thing I'm getting from this is that they were two people that were single at the same time. That doesn't really equate him to Mountain Tim.
No, but that along with the scar he gets across his face similar to Speedwagon's and that he fights someone named Jonathan Joestar before becoming allies with him does

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speedwagon is very cool while Mountain Tim is not that cool. So I don't think they are all that similar.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mountain Tim is pretty alright iirc, but yeah no one is as cool as Speedwagon

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Honestly I still take it that way :colbert:

There are other ways to take it???

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone know where some good places to start looking for Kosaku Kawajiri Kira's wardrobe would be? Got a convention coming up in 2 months and I think I might be able to pull that off reasonably

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone know where some good places to start looking for Kosaku Kawajiri Kira's wardrobe would be? Got a convention coming up in 2 months and I think I might be able to pull that off reasonably

They're low quality but you can buy full cosplay sets on ebay

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of the parts of JoJo that immediately come to mind to me as things I dislike, I'd say Yo-Yo Ma, Dragon's Dream and Superfly. I don't really know why I dislike Superfly though, it's got some really great panels and moments but it just doesn't resonate with me too much.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Dragons dream... Like I still have no clue what the gently caress that stand even is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know how I forgot to mention it then, maybe because it was so prevalent in my mind but the Boom Boom family. I hate that arc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty drat annoyed by the Cinderella stuff on like every reread of Part 4 I've done, it's the only part of Part 4 I actively don't want to read.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need to reread the BoomBoom stuff, because I remember liking it at the time but that might've just been because of babby Tusk

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dragon's Dream is great

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I also remember liking the Boom Boom family, their Stand was loving named Tomb of the Boom holy poo poo, but I'm not sure how much of that was excitement over Part 7's first Stand battle (it was, right?) Also I've had to be reminded about Cinderella multiple times in this thread and that sucks for a Stand that takes your face off. I also can't remember a single thing from Superfly except the calluses panel was gross

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I get that Cinderella's only there to set up for Kira's escape for the immediate next arc, but goddamn if it isn't stupid seeing Koichi want to earnestly give his stalker another shot, mystical bullshit or not, even after the poo poo he put him through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I also can't remember a single thing from Superfly except the calluses panel was gross

We gonna wreck it?
Only if you ain't chicken!

Even with that, I still don't like it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChaosArgate posted:

I get that Cinderella's only there to set up for Kira's escape for the immediate next arc, but goddamn if it isn't stupid seeing Koichi want to earnestly give his stalker another shot, mystical bullshit or not, even after the poo poo he put him through.

Like I don't even dislike the chapter cause of that, it's like a multitude of things, that's dumb as poo poo though, for sure.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh I'm sure. There's more than just that that bugs me, but what I said earlier is probably what I dislike most about it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also don't like that Aya Tsuji just sort of feels like a backdrop in what is supposed to be her introductory chapter, like god drat.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Yukako and Koichi's relationship is hands down the thing I hate most about Part 4. Yukako is extremely codependent and manipulative, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that all of that gets treated like water under the bridge. But then Stroheim committed genocide and he became sort of maybe a good guy, so I guess I can't take it too seriously.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hoobajoo posted:

Yukako and Koichi's relationship is hands down the thing I hate most about Part 4. Yukako is extremely codependent and manipulative, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that all of that gets treated like water under the bridge. But then Stroheim committed genocide and he became sort of maybe a good guy, so I guess I can't take it too seriously.

Kakyoin tentacle mind-controlled a school nurse, Speedwagon tried to rob and murder Jonathan, Okuyasu tried to erase Josuke from existence and Rohan is Rohan. All water under the bridge.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kakyoin got what was coming to him for that.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

Kakyoin tentacle mind-controlled a school nurse, Speedwagon tried to rob and murder Jonathan, Okuyasu tried to erase Josuke from existence and Rohan is Rohan. All water under the bridge.

Maybe it just hits me harder because I was in a long relationship with someone like Yukako in a lot of ways, and it was awful. But in the other cases, those people had a moment of redemption, whereas Yukako never really stopped obsessing over Koichi and eventually gets what she wanted anyway.

Rohan is without sin.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yukako's also a one-off character brought back well after she had vanished from the story like Tamami and Hazamada did and unlike those two who had small appearances to lead to into a new stand user, Yukako gets an entire storyline dedicated to her and Koichi being the worst

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tamami is also partially responsible for why Rohan's house burns down.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm fine with Yukako and Koichi because your friend getting into a relationship that's a loving terrible idea but putting up with it because she's hot and you not really doing anything about it are part of the quintessential high school experience in my mind.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm fine with Yukako and Koichi because your friend getting into a relationship that's a loving terrible idea but putting up with it because she's hot and you not really doing anything about it are part of the quintessential high school experience in my mind.

That's pretty fair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
People always compare DiU to a slice-of-life but it seems a bit more like Buffy or X-Files to me. It starts out with really short arcs putting familiar characters up against new ones who are usually only there for a cup of coffee, but over time everything converges in on a central story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess it's partially because Koichi was attracted to Yukako before her whole freakout, but yeah, Cinderella or no, they got together waaaay too easily.

Also, I'm re-reading Let's Go Eat Italian, and I love how Josuke's reaction to Okuyasu clawing the flesh off of his shoulder is to make a handball out of his dead skin.

On a related note, I'm glad I wasn't eating while reading this.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

People always compare DiU to a slice-of-life but it seems a bit more like Buffy or X-Files to me. It starts out with really short arcs putting familiar characters up against new ones who are usually only there for a cup of coffee, but over time everything converges in on a central story.
I agree, but I think DiU is the closest that Jojo gets to slice-of-life in that there's a lot more focus on characters just hanging out and goofing around before the plot kicks in. There are lots of fights that have great character beats but which don't have a lot of lasting narrative consequences, and which kind of boil down to some weirdo getting a stand and causing trouble with it until one of the crew steps in to resolve the problem in a way that's not really punchy. Like, if you're an anime-only person, you've just seen neither Tamami nor Hazamada get DORARARA'd in the end, and the storyline that everyone's looking forward to (and hinting at in anime threads) in the near future involves Okuyasu getting hosed up by a plate of spaghetti and ends with Josuke cleaning a kitchen. Everything starts to converge when Kira shows up, but before that, there's no clear villain (just fakeouts involving Angelo and Akira) or overarching purpose driving the characters. Even after that, there's still stuff like I Am an Alien, where the fun is in seeing Rohan "let it burn!" Kishibe destroy his house out of spite. That's a pretty big contrast with the immediate motivation that is Holly's illness and DIO's threat, and with all the ORA ORA ORA-ing even in the early chapters of Part 3. I also forgot how Koichi-centric the beginning of Part 4 is: if you're not interested in watching him freaking out at the latest creep who wants to take advantage of him, there's not a lot to sell you on early Part 4.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah, if the relationship was mentioned in later parts as something that continued (like Jotaro carrying a wedding invitation in Part 6 or something) then that'd be hosed up, but as it stands it's Koichi deciding that he can probably handle the crazy to get on with the hot chick while they're in high school, they probably broke up before Koichi goes to Italy even.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DiU is closer to Twin Peaks than Slice of Life.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Baal posted:

DiU is closer to Twin Peaks than Slice of Life.

Twin Peaks is the original Slice of Life anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, that's Gravity Falls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

No, that's Gravity Falls

It's the Flintstones actually