Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
make is pretty awful, and msbuild isn't much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

eclipse is a good ide except workspaces

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Shaggar posted:

make is pretty awful, and msbuild isn't much better.

yeah like i said im not holding up make as a great program, but i like it better than visual studio

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

eclipse is a good ide except workspaces

i like eclipse workspaces better than vs solutions, but mostly because projects under the eclipse workspace can be totally unrelated whereas solution projects are always tied together at that high level.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chmods please posted:

the magic of ~hyperspace~

true story, that splash screen loving animates when you log in, but everyone everywhere turns it off because it makes shitrix eat poo poo and die. i hate it so much.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious QIG posted:

i feel like i don't understand how the building and linking is done because it abstracts it all away into "solutions"

im not claiming that make is some paragon of programming tools but i like how explicit it is in terms of the exact steps your compilation is taking

we use cmake which has the nice controllability stuff from make but (a) is not a horrorshow like make and (b) can target make / msbuild / xcode / ninja / etc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious QIG posted:

i feel like i don't understand how the building and linking is done because it abstracts it all away into "solutions"
why do you care?

vs/c# is the fastest way for me to get a GUI up for non-CS/non-technical users. live charting of sensor input in less than a day. another solution i have literally seen in practice is an excel spreadsheet with VBA macros. vs beats the pants of that dev environment. i can also do live charting in python/ipython/matplotlib, but ME's and other folks still run windows.

had my phone screen. should've practiced embedded junk, I mixed up &&/& like some chump. o well~~~~

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

vs is real good and im glad it abstracts all the lovely parts about prgramming

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

im happy ive never once written a make file

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

got sent api documentation that's 18 pages long with no loving endpoint in it

:negative:

why

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Notorious QIG posted:

a solution is a group of projects. a project builds a target from sources and dependent projects. it's pretty straightforward

Notorious QIG posted:

im not claiming that make is some paragon of programming tools but i like how explicit

is it now? :confused:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Awia posted:

im happy ive never once written a make file

same

fake edit: not actually true, but the one i did was for a three file personal project in c++ so it wasn't too bad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ive never written a makefile more complex than a bunch of gcc calls in order. enterprise sized c builds terrify me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyone making terrible python plots with millions of datapoints with something that isnt matplotlib?

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 20, 2016

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

cut my array into pieces, this is my bubble sort

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Skim Milk posted:

cut my array into pieces, this is my bubble sort

that sounds more like a merge sort imo

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

HoboMan posted:

that sounds more like a merge sort imo

but it doesn't fit the song :(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

neither does array, you should have said list imo

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

JawnV6 posted:

why do you care?

vs/c# is the fastest way for me to get a GUI up for non-CS/non-technical users. live charting of sensor input in less than a day. another solution i have literally seen in practice is an excel spreadsheet with VBA macros. vs beats the pants of that dev environment. i can also do live charting in python/ipython/matplotlib, but ME's and other folks still run windows.

had my phone screen. should've practiced embedded junk, I mixed up &&/& like some chump. o well~~~~

i care if for no other reason because it's currently choking on a library linking error and i cant for the life of me figure it out

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

ive never written a makefile more complex than a bunch of gcc calls in order. enterprise sized c builds terrify me.

same, fortunately this company is small enough and young enough that the makefiles aren't horrific

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious QIG posted:

i care if for no other reason because it's currently choking on a library linking error and i cant for the life of me figure it out
oh, post it in the .net thread and wait for ithaqua to swoop in and save u

i had trouble with a NI lib that was x64-only, there was a build setting I had to specify x64 instead of "All"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious QIG posted:

same, fortunately this company is small enough and young enough that the makefiles aren't horrific

yet :cthulhu:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Finster Dexter posted:

Is sonarqube any good? i.e. not lovely

i have no experience with other similar tools, but it seems fine

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

this is blowing my mind, for me, eclipse was borderline unusable. i will accept i'm wrong, but i really can't see anyone saying that the poo poo ide i tried to use is the best one. maybe i accidentally got a lovely fork? i am questioning my own reality right now.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HoboMan posted:

this is blowing my mind, for me, eclipse was borderline unusable. i will accept i'm wrong, but i really can't see anyone saying that the poo poo ide i tried to use is the best one. maybe i accidentally got a lovely fork? i am questioning my own reality right now.

intellij is the best one. don't believe shaggar's lies

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I'm learning what JSX is for the very first time.

What the poo poo

react tutorial posted:

JSX is a preprocessor step that adds XML syntax to JavaScript. You can definitely use React without JSX but JSX makes React a lot more elegant. Just like XML, JSX tags have a tag name, attributes, and children. If an attribute value is enclosed in quotes, the value is a string.

Oh hey how about we take lovely jarvascript and mix in some lovely xml. :suicide:

I know I should probably read up on it more before I pass judgement but so far I'm not very hyped. I'm about 15 minutes away from just rolling my own jarvascript framework (well, more accurately typescript).

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the answer is javascript

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

elm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious QIG posted:

idk man i just dont really like ides. they feel way overcomplicated to me

yeah same, i hate it

also hello terrible programmers, i think i have byte anxiety

i've never decoded or encoded a byte. whenever someone talkes about reading some bytes or shifting some bits my palms get all sweaty

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Finster Dexter posted:

So, I'm learning what JSX is for the very first time.

What the poo poo

Oh hey how about we take lovely jarvascript and mix in some lovely xml. :suicide:

I know I should probably read up on it more before I pass judgement but so far I'm not very hyped. I'm about 15 minutes away from just rolling my own jarvascript framework (well, more accurately typescript).

lol dont.

you have occasion to write javascript. it's not going to be good. it's javascript.

but since you're using javascript, you might as well use react. react is the best you're gonna get for a front end javascript framework, period. you will not roll a better one yourself.

jsx is fine too. i mean it works well with react. you could make all the js objects manually but christ why would you???

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Condiv posted:

intellij is the best one. don't believe shaggar's lies

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah same, i hate it

i've never decoded or encoded a byte. whenever someone talkes about reading some bytes or shifting some bits my palms get all sweaty

:3:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's ok, im ground flooring this poo poo. either (a) we get bought out and then im hosed or (b) we grow huge and since im an early employee i get hella privileges as we become more legit

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

its actually v easy. pencil and paper can help if you're struggling

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's okay, I do endian-ness and masking and shifting all the time and I don't know a fucken thing, except when to start googling and drawing diagrams

Notorious QIG posted:

it's ok, im ground flooring this poo poo. either (a) we get bought out and then im hosed or (b) we grow huge and since im an early employee i get hella privileges as we become more legit

congratulations, you beautiful starchild, you get to see how good people build bad old code

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LordSaturn posted:

congratulations, you beautiful starchild, you get to see how good people build bad old code

:sun:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hold up cuz im gonna drop some fuckin bombs about msbuild/vs

it's loving garbage if what you're working on is bigger than a breadbox (or essentially bigger than a single solution file)

you're basically going to be writing makefiles in powershell that call msbuild on your various solutions, then copying the output around to where you need it to go

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
intellisense is neat

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Finster Dexter posted:

Everyone in the company is flipping their poo poo because I added the EF config section and a binding redirect to an updated MySql.Data.dll. Someone loving kill me now. I'm chain-firing email responses to every non-technical piece of poo poo complaining about having to update configs on 50 different client sites.

Sorry I made you do your job, dipshits, now maybe you'll spend some time looking into a deployment solution that doesn't suck poo poo, motherfucker. gently caress I'm pissed right now.

this is us, only if someone makes a config change then they have to manually deploy it to 100+ websites

i've done this once

Glomper Squeeman
Jun 11, 2006

The cat does not see the cliff.

uncurable mlady posted:

hold up cuz im gonna drop some fuckin bombs about msbuild/vs

it's loving garbage if what you're working on is bigger than a breadbox (or essentially bigger than a single solution file)

you're basically going to be writing makefiles in powershell that call msbuild on your various solutions, then copying the output around to where you need it to go

my job uses VS for C++ and groups all of the projects each team uses into their own solution. this naturally means we have 400-project solutions that take a long rear end time to compile and everybody's too lazy to add new projects to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
latest R# has a thing where it doesn't rebuild projects unless the public interface changes

probably doesn't work for C/C++ solutions, though

• Locked thread