Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Frobbe posted:

I've got these (rather rare now) Battlefleet Gothic Tau ships from Forgeworld, that i let a friend paint many moons ago. He's varnished them and used a very good primer, so they're a real bitch to strip, so i'd like to ask the hivemind for suggestions on what i should do to improve the existing paint job.

I primarily work with Citadel paints :)

Find the Citadel paint that most closely matches that ochre color, and then paint over it, leaving the shading in the recesses. It looks like your friend just used Tausept Ochre or Vomit Brown or whatever and washed the gently caress out of it and let it pool everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I don't know what to do about the varnish or if it matters, but I'd just put down several thin coats of that primary color on top over and over until it all evens out and looks nice and clean. Then maybe add some detailing after that or maybe call it a day depending.

SRM posted:

Find the Citadel paint that most closely matches that ochre color, and then paint over it, leaving the shading in the recesses. It looks like your friend just used Tausept Ochre or Vomit Brown or whatever and washed the gently caress out of it and let it pool everywhere.

It does look like there was a wash that he over-did, but on top of that I see a bunch of obvious brush strokes, I just think it wasn't a very even paint job and the paint may have been too thick.

The details look fine though, you just need to clean up those body panels.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Does anyone have a spare Contemptor dreadnought head they can swap me for? My wife mistakenly tossed the one for mine.

I've got loads of bits worth trading so hit me up.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have officially glued all 79 soviet infantry to their bases.

My body aches. Painting them is gonna be a blast.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lethemonster posted:

I've been playing about with some editing to get my photos to look closer to the real thing. How does this mini look to you guys? Anything wrong with the image quality on anyone elses monitor?

Are these supposed to look like a cresting ocean wave in the form of a screamer? That's an excellent idea, lighting problems or not.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Manifest posted:

Does anyone have a spare Contemptor dreadnought head they can swap me for? My wife mistakenly tossed the one for mine.

I've got loads of bits worth trading so hit me up.

Just chop any space marine helmet in half horizontally?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

I've been looking at compressors again and wanted to get the TC-620X since that's the quoted price ($250) is in my price range, but right now it's showing upwards of $350-400. Is it just out of stock everywhere right now?

E: I see that the Badger TC-910 Aspire is in this price range. Is it practically the same thing?

If I may be so bold, buy a carbonic tank.

If you are dropping that much coin on a compressor, you're serious about airbrushing. The only reason to go compressor over CO2 is if you have no place to store the tank.

A pony tank should run about 250, and the regulator is about 75. Contact your local welding shop for a good price quote.

What are the benefits of a carbonic tank?

Pure, solid air with constant pressure and absolutely zero chance of water in the line. It also has the benefit of making zero noise. My regulator can go as light as three pounds (I used it for makeup for years, you don't wanna go high pressure while airbrushing makeup) to as high as seventy pounds (for pushing truly thick paint out in a uniform blast.)

Seriously, everyone looking at a solid airbrush rig should look at a carbonic tank. Even when I was airbrushing professionally, I'd only need to fill the tank every six months. (At 20 bucks a fill.)

Two things to keep in mind.
1. The tank should not be stored inside a dwelling for safety reasons. (Back porch, garage, locked in a truck, at a friends house, etc. are all fine.)
2. When filling the tank, they won't let you drive away if your not in an open vehicle of some sort, depending on your state/welding shop.

These are seriously the only drawbacks. I was hesitant at first, but when I finally bought one, I can never go back. Fucker performs better then the pro-tank Iwatta compressor with multi-hookups. (The 800 dollar one.)

You can use it as long as you like at a sitting. no plugs, no power, no water in the line, no loss of pressure, no max pressure, no min pressure. Just pure, clean air at the desired PSI until the bottle runs out. (Which takes forever.)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Or, just hear me out, I'll keep using my quiet compressor with a 1 gallon tank. I can even keep it in my painting room.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

Or, just hear me out, I'll keep using my quiet compressor with a 1 gallon tank. I can even keep it in my painting room.

Oh, for sure! If your current rig does everything you want it to, then there's just really no reason to change it.

I just went through several compressors before trying a tank, and it was a huge difference for what I needed it to do. (Honestly it was out of necessity, I was working out in the boonies and power was scarce. Plus the heat index was through the roof, my smart-jet pro kept overheating.)

Have you ever tried constant air (either CO2 or nitrogen) with an airbrush?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
AIRBRUSH QUESTION

What is the proper cleaner (and method of use) for a full overhaul cleaning from tip to spring? I have a Badger 105 and a 155, so gravity and siphon. I am making a single purchase on amazon that I want to be able to say covered me when I made it, and I don't need more.

I currently have:

Airbrushes
Assorted bottles and caps
Some siphon gravity cups
Iwata airbrush cleaner
Vallejo airbrush thinner

I am currently using multiple brands of paints, but generally VSP primer, Vallejo Air airpaint, and Citadel brushpaint that I might want to try diluting for the ol' airbrushin'.

I have some vinyl pipe cleaner brush things, the ones with metal handles that bend. I would like to fully clean and then use my airbrushes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would love to try a tank mahal but I need the compressor to be used in an apartment. If they're anything like the giant tanks my friend had for paintball, they were pretty convenient for offsite woodsball and could be used for several days before needing a refill. Hell, if there was some way to use the carbon fiber or steel tanks I have for paintball I'd love to attach an extra into a compressor for airbrush use if I can save money that way by only needing a compressor + necessary connections.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Skarsnik posted:

Just chop any space marine helmet in half horizontally?

Would that work?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why wouldn't it, the head on a contemptor is just a space marine helmet?

Just pick something that isn't too obviously 40k, though they all look about the same mouthpiece up

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It's bigger than a space marine helmet. But it might look ok

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

I've got these (rather rare now) Battlefleet Gothic Tau ships from Forgeworld, that i let a friend paint many moons ago. He's varnished them and used a very good primer, so they're a real bitch to strip, so i'd like to ask the hivemind for suggestions on what i should do to improve the existing paint job.

I primarily work with Citadel paints :)

If you're up for it, try aztecing the surface. Its a technique the Star Trek modellers use and it works great for models with lots of flat areas. I do it a lot on my starships.

Have a tutorial:

http://theminiaturespage.com/workbench/702458/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

AIRBRUSH QUESTION

What is the proper cleaner (and method of use) for a full overhaul cleaning from tip to spring? I have a Badger 105 and a 155, so gravity and siphon. I am making a single purchase on amazon that I want to be able to say covered me when I made it, and I don't need more.

I currently have:

Airbrushes
Assorted bottles and caps
Some siphon gravity cups
Iwata airbrush cleaner
Vallejo airbrush thinner

I am currently using multiple brands of paints, but generally VSP primer, Vallejo Air airpaint, and Citadel brushpaint that I might want to try diluting for the ol' airbrushin'.

I have some vinyl pipe cleaner brush things, the ones with metal handles that bend. I would like to fully clean and then use my airbrushes.

If you have serious amounts of paint built up and you don't know what type of paint you're dealing with, you can't go wrong with cellulose thinner. The airbrushes you have use PTFE or Teflon seals/washers so they are fine for harsh thinners like cellulose thinner. Chuck everything in an old glass jar or metal can, cover with thinner and leave for a few minutes. You can also use white spirit/mineral spirits, which is maybe slightly less toxic - it may take a little longer to do its work but it may be easier to find, depending if you have DIY or paint stores near you. With these you can also use an ultrasonic cleaner but soaking just takes a little longer to work. Once it's all clean rinse, well with water.

As you're assembling, putting a drop of airbrush lubricant (Badger sells 'Regdab', iwata's is called Super Lubricant or something like that) on all the threads, needle, inside the nozzle, on the contact points of the trigger.

For thinning the paint, water works fine with most paints, but won't work with Tamiya paints, you'll need the Tamiya thinner. If in doubt, use the thinner made by the paint manufacturer.

Be careful using the pipe cleaner type brushes, I accidentally pulled out a seal in my 105 one time and had to send it to get repaired. Also, the metal ends can scratch the finish pretty badly. You'll still need something really thin to get into the nozzle - ideally an old airbrush needle (everybody ends up with one eventually, but the tip needs to be straightened out) but you can use a thin sewing pin with its blunt end shoved into a wine cork or something.

In case anyone is curious about the new Badger Xtreme Patriot 105, I have a first look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3lJNyeuRc

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

I would love to try a tank mahal but I need the compressor to be used in an apartment. If they're anything like the giant tanks my friend had for paintball, they were pretty convenient for offsite woodsball and could be used for several days before needing a refill. Hell, if there was some way to use the carbon fiber or steel tanks I have for paintball I'd love to attach an extra into a compressor for airbrush use if I can save money that way by only needing a compressor + necessary connections.

I use a small five pound tank, that's a standard size for "personal" use. Because of home beer brewing, you can now get them as small as one pound. Since you have paintball tanks, you might wanna try this. (I had no idea they made regulators this small, would have been awesome when I was doing makeup!)

http://www.casesforvisualarts.com/makeup-airbrush

It's 120 bucks, but that's with the shoulder strap. I'm sure you could call and see how much for just the regulator. (Or hunt around for one, movie supply houses are notorious for high prices.)

Or here's one from a home brewing company, it's 15 bucks for the bottle adaptor and 50 for the regulator.

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

While looking around I also saw a few airbrush threads and YouTube videos talking about using paintball tanks, I'll look around after work and see if I can find one talking about the pros and cons

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Good suggestions all! I'll poke around my paints and see what i end up with. what mostly annoys me is simply the fact they they look dirty due to the liberal use of wash.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

Good suggestions all! I'll poke around my paints and see what i end up with. what mostly annoys me is simply the fact they they look dirty due to the liberal use of wash.

The Imperial and Chaos ships benefit from heavy washing and drybrushing. The Tau will do really well with a pin wash around the detail areas.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Just painted my first two minis and man how the gently caress do you paint eyes on like a 28mm Reaper mini this is awful. I feel like I need a round 10/0 natural sable brush for anything other than a black dot.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Eyes come with time. It will take a while. The best way I've done is to paint the entire eye black, then paint on two white lines in both sides. It helps prevent the tunnel vision effect.

I just painted up some more Empire of Dust for Kings of War. Not as quickly as I hoped, but progress is progress:

Flying Pharoah:

Regiments of Scavengers:

Horde of Chariots:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sugar free jazz posted:

Just painted my first two minis and man how the gently caress do you paint eyes on like a 28mm Reaper mini this is awful. I feel like I need a round 10/0 natural sable brush for anything other than a black dot.

I don't paint eyes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sugar free jazz posted:

Whole bunch of choices, varying from 'very carefully' to 'not at all'. The latter is common with Reaper Bones particularly as bonesium does tend to lose or wash out tiny details like eyes, and just suggesting them via shading is usually fine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I just painted up some more Empire of Dust for Kings of War. Not as quickly as I hoped, but progress is progress:

Very nice! Your bases are awesome too. Are they just broken pieces of cork to make the raised areas? I'm not a big fan of KoW, but I do appreciate the ability to create one large scenic base. Do you have an album of the rest of your TK?

I'm on a bit of a TK kick myself, having found a Casket of Souls and some Ushabti really cheap (compared to Ebay prices anyway.) I'll just need to get another Tomb Scorpion and I should be all set.

I've got a ton of unused bows, so I bought some legs on Ebay to make some archer units, but I don't have enough torsos - I think I'm going to have to make some extras since I can't buy the bits anymore. Chariots might also be a problem, since I only have six, but I think I'll be ok for 2000 point games...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 21, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The advice I heard from a GW 'Eavy Metal painter was to paint the whole eye black, then put a dot of white on either side of the eye. Always starting with the outside dot because it will give you control over where he is looking.

Personally, I use a micon pen to put the iris in.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Painted up a tauntaun skull from Star Wars for a buddy's birthday preset. It's a keychain.

Model was 3d printed, which you can see in the primer pictures better, forgot to take a pick fresh off the bed:

Just used 3 colors: Usbati bone, Utharian grey, and agrax earthshade. Then finished with a clear coat.

And yes the jaw moves.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Some more things finished.

The Kingdom Death "Intimacy" event survivors (so inspired from the art from that part in the book, these were some extra minis in the game).

And some extra starting survivors using the multipart kit.

Together with the starting figures, I've had a lot of fun exploring how to paint a variety of skin tones.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Great work as always.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Thanks.

Plan is to finish the Tyrant the "People of the Dragon" survivors, and then start on some of the armour kit survivors, or have a break and tackle some Rackham Wolfen.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

For some reason I find Rackham models super enjoyable and relaxing to paint.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Relaxing, enjoyable, and I find much like Kingdom Death, rather easy to paint. The details are well defined but not crowded, and so gives you space to play with colour.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
crossposting from the oath thread!

Squad goals is for all of the scourge this month, there are almost 100 of them painted. We'll start off here with this desolator that I made a clear resin base and flight stand for to represent it's main weapon and I also added a blue and white LED for extra effect.

Next up is a Death Tyrant someone put up on shapeways. I made some clear pink resin that I cast from a mold of a ball bearing to use as the floaty eyeballs. I tried to also cast clear resin for the phantasmal limb stalks that hold those spectral eyeballs in place but hot glue ended up being easier to work with and a lot faster despite it not being as clear as I would like.

For my monsters we'll start with a Reaper dragon...

Then a Lord of the Rings giant vampire thing

and finally a 10mm scale monster called the screamer, shown with some exotic (and larger than average) infantry for scale that I also painted this month. In the second picture it is riding it's dropship.

Then to finish off this month's oath we have a whole bunch of Dropzone Commander stuff

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

crossposting from the oath thread!
:stare:

...Holy poo poo, dude. Nice! (Which Bones dragon is that, Nathavarr?)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy hell, that makes me want to dip my scourge and start all over again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

...Holy poo poo, dude. Nice! (Which Bones dragon is that, Nathavarr?)

Thanks! The dragon is Narthrax from Bones 2.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hey guys, I impulse bought a box of Sylvaneth Tree Spirits and I'm stuck to how to paint them. I'm not very good at natural tones, especially wood.

What would people recommend technique/paint-wise? I'm going for a warm, Autumnal look with them to match in with my Wood Elves.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

malal posted:

I use a small five pound tank, that's a standard size for "personal" use. Because of home beer brewing, you can now get them as small as one pound. Since you have paintball tanks, you might wanna try this. (I had no idea they made regulators this small, would have been awesome when I was doing makeup!)

http://www.casesforvisualarts.com/makeup-airbrush

It's 120 bucks, but that's with the shoulder strap. I'm sure you could call and see how much for just the regulator. (Or hunt around for one, movie supply houses are notorious for high prices.)

Or here's one from a home brewing company, it's 15 bucks for the bottle adaptor and 50 for the regulator.

http://www.homebrewing.org/The-Adapter-CO2-regulator-to-Paintball-Tank-Adapter_p_1122.html

While looking around I also saw a few airbrush threads and YouTube videos talking about using paintball tanks, I'll look around after work and see if I can find one talking about the pros and cons

Sweet, thanks. I'll think about it since it is a lot of money to drop on something no matter which direction I choose. I do intend to use one regularly but in the end, if I'm being honest it'll probably end up similar to Giraldez' style where it'll be 5-10% airbrush 90% hairbrush. I just happen to have extra money by selling extraneous magic cards and this set of x-wing dice that goes for 200bux on ebay lol.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 22, 2016

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'll think about it since it is a lot of money to drop on something no matter which direction I choose. I do intend to use one regularly but in the end, if I'm being honest it'll probably end up similar to Giraldez' style where it'll be 5-10% airbrush 90% hairbrush. I just happen to have extra money by selling extraneous magic cards and this set of x-wing dice that goes for 200bux on ebay lol.

I just like to bully in with carbonic tank options, since they aren't really seen too often. I just never found a compressor that I liked, closest was the Iwata Smart Jet Pro. Even then I'd burn them out every few years. Of course at the time I was airbrushing four hours a day or so, so I'm sure the constant use made an impact.

For just the occasional pop nothing wrong with compressors.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

malal posted:

I just like to bully in with carbonic tank options, since they aren't really seen too often. I just never found a compressor that I liked, closest was the Iwata Smart Jet Pro. Even then I'd burn them out every few years. Of course at the time I was airbrushing four hours a day or so, so I'm sure the constant use made an impact.

For just the occasional pop nothing wrong with compressors.

So in the end, would the badger TC-910 Aspire be similar enough to the TC-620X to use it? I mean, especially to someone who's likely only going to use it occasionally? As in once every few weeks unless I really take a liking to it and change my style to use it more - though I think there's a low limit unless you're doing a lot of 28mm vehicles and Gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

So in the end, would the badger TC-910 Aspire be similar enough to the TC-620X to use it? I mean, especially to someone who's likely only going to use it occasionally? As in once every few weeks unless I really take a liking to it and change my style to use it more - though I think there's a low limit unless you're doing a lot of 28mm vehicles and Gundams.

Either looks good for what you are doing. I like Sparmax, haven't used a lot of badger equipment. Really I just look for regulator range, water trap, and a tank. (And sound if that's an issue where you paint.)

Where y'at? I might have something lying around I could toss your way.