Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Safetyland posted:

I took a long break, and now it's more fun playing with goons :unsmith:

Yeah, like I said earlier:

Colonial Air Force posted:

At least there's goons in the game; everything is better with goons.

I've played so many online games (MMO or otherwise), and no matter how terrible the game or the grind, it's always made more fun with Goons.

It looks like the summer sale isn't going to be until late June, so I guess I'll likely be buying Horizons soon. At least the price has dropped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Yeah the game really improves with a couple of buddies while you bullshit about in an RES or whatever. Plus wings being how they are, you can really get some money going bounty blasting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yep and the Vulture was like 40 million.

I paid full-price for my FDL which was like uhhh 95 million? Something?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

can't believe you can still play this

Frank ur alive! And you still have a metroid av! :D

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should like this game. In every other stupid space game I can enjoy simply the idea that I'm doing things that make some vague contextual sense. Something in Elite just destroys even that enjoyment from immersion.

I don't mean to be a shitter, I get that I'm probably doing all the boring roles (exploration, trading, eventually mining) but it just feels so incredibly onerous to make progress in Elite. I don't have the time or inclination to get the resources and experience to play in Open against folks far better equipped and skilled who want to knock over my sandcastle.

Should I just quit while I'm ahead in my type 6 in solo? :<

Edit: I should say, I enjoyed the game up to my type 6. That progression felt fairly fluid and sensible. Every trade route felt like meaningful progress. Now I'm hovering at a loaded type 6 worth ~2 million and another 8 million in liquid credits and God drat if the type 7 doesn't feel pipe dream/ quit-this-grind levels of unreachable. This is the only boring trade game that makes me feel like this, and I'm the type of gamer that can dump a hundred hours in Truck Sim.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 21, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panch posted:

I should like this game. In every other stupid space game I can enjoy simply the idea that I'm doing things that make some vague contextual sense. Something in Elite just destroys even that enjoyment from immersion.

I don't mean to be a shitter, I get that I'm probably doing all the boring roles (exploration, trading, eventually mining) but it just feels so incredibly onerous to make progress in Elite. I don't have the time or inclination to get the resources and experience to play in Open against folks far better equipped and skilled who want to knock over my sandcastle.

Should I just quit while I'm ahead in my type 6 in solo? :<

Edit: I should say, I enjoyed the game up to my type 6. That progression felt fairly fluid and sensible. Every trade route felt like meaningful progress. Now I'm hovering at a loaded type 6 worth ~2 million and another 8 million in liquid credits and God drat if the type 7 doesn't feel pipe dream/ quit-this-grind levels of unreachable. This is the only boring trade game that makes me feel like this, and I'm the type of gamer that can dump a hundred hours in Truck Sim.

Robigo runs will annihilate the Type 7 grind and make the Elite grind... almost sane.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

Robigo runs will annihilate the Type 7 grind and make the Elite grind... almost sane.

Do they still exist? I thought I had read a Reddit post that those missions had gone away, but I had no context. They seemed like something I would very much enjoy in terms of challenge (even with weird bullshit AI things) but I wasn't sure if I had the resources to jump into it. God if that doesn't feel like everything I want to do, though. It feels like to be good at any one role, you need to have 100mil in capital.

I get that's not entirely true, but I sure feel poor when I think of what I'd like to buy/do.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panch posted:

Do they still exist? I thought I had read a Reddit post that those missions had gone away, but I had no context. They seemed like something I would very much enjoy in terms of challenge (even with weird bullshit AI things) but I wasn't sure if I had the resources to jump into it. God if that doesn't feel like everything I want to do, though. It feels like to be good at any one role, you need to have 100mil in capital.

I get that's not entirely true, but I sure feel poor when I think of what I'd like to buy/do.

I've been having the spacemadness so I haven't done it in a while but I keep hearing things like "wow this new patch is going to make Robigo even more ridiculous" and I easily started doing Robigo runs in a :420:Cobra III:420: and highly suggest it as a starter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

I've been having the spacemadness so I haven't done it in a while but I keep hearing things like "wow this new patch is going to make Robigo even more ridiculous" and I easily started doing Robigo runs in a :420:Cobra III:420: and highly suggest it as a starter.

I am close enough to being done trying to bulk trade I think I'm willing to dump everything and try it, if for nothing but the idea that I might actually beat through the next ~10 million so I can calmly bulk trade in my next space truck sooner.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Groggy nard posted:

They nerfed the everloving poo poo out of all mission rewards everywhere (over 90% reduction in most cases) in a recent beta patch and have just straight up prevented the bulletin boards at just about all of the systems outside the bubble from spawning any missions at all. I've gone from 2m payout smuggling missions in the bubble in the first couple of betas to under 150k at Elite trade rank and Allied with the faction.

So no, you are not allowed to have a good starting experience as a newbie, you will grind your way to the top like all of the other '84ers and grognards did and you will like it.

(Come hang out with Diamond Frogs, we can help you get started easily)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mercurius posted:

They nerfed the everloving poo poo out of all mission rewards everywhere (over 90% reduction in most cases) in a recent beta patch and have just straight up prevented the bulletin boards at just about all of the systems outside the bubble from spawning any missions at all. I've gone from 2m payout smuggling missions in the bubble in the first couple of betas to under 150k at Elite trade rank and Allied with the faction.

So no, you are not allowed to have a good starting experience as a newbie, you will grind your way to the top like all of the other '84ers and grognards did and you will like it.

(Come hang out with Diamond Frogs, we can help you get started easily)

In other words I should be doing Robigo runs like mad before the update goes live if I ever want to fly a 100+ million ship anytime soon?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

teh_Broseph posted:

It sorta came up in the 3D thread with no answer, anyone use a Rift/Vive and have a solution for doing other stuff while chilling on cargo runs and whatever? Got one showing up soon and I've really gotten used to only looking at the Elite screen about half the time when doing anything besides combat. Right now it's like the perfect mix to play a chill game and almost keeping up with the stupid SC and Overwatch threads.
I listen to podcasts. You better believe I'd love to be able to dock a netflix window in my cockpit, though.

On a somewhat related note, while mining might sound fun in VR, the particle effects when you're shooting rocks will flat-out murder your frame rate and turn it into a tremendously uncomfortable experience.

Hamelekim posted:

In other words I should be doing Robigo runs like mad before the update goes live if I ever want to fly a 100+ million ship anytime soon?
Yeah, probably. They might do another readjustment, but the current money train will soon be coming to a halt regardless.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Helter Skelter posted:

I listen to podcasts. You better believe I'd love to be able to dock a netflix window in my cockpit, though.

On a somewhat related note, while mining might sound fun in VR, the particle effects when you're shooting rocks will flat-out murder your frame rate and turn it into a tremendously uncomfortable experience.

That's what a GTX 1070 or 1080 is for.

quote:

Yeah, probably. They might do another readjustment, but the current money train will soon be coming to a halt regardless.

That sucks, because I don't want to spend more hours grinding.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Maybe Frontier will keep listening to their feedback and decide to increase money gains across the board?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hamelekim posted:

That's what a GTX 1070 or 1080 is for.
Cool, so assuming double performance of a 980ti you'd get ~40fps then. Seriously, it's rough.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panch posted:

The Type 7 is Bad anyway, it just wastes credits that could be put toward the Python instead. For now, buy an Asp Explorer. It's a straight upgrade to the Type-6.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Besides trying power play for a month and looking at the new ships I haven't touched the game for a very long time and reading the changelogs and the forums makes me think I'll pop in next year and the game will just be German job simulator mixed with EVE. I enjoyed shooting npcs in asteroids for a couple months, I'm happy with the experience, it's just too bad they couldn't flesh out their ideas. Do people sell their accounts anywhere or is it not worth the trouble?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

El Grillo posted:

This is why I fly in FA-off all the time (because I'm a sperg. Ok and because it's more fun/challenging so keeps me interested)

I have been thinking about switching to fixed weapons and trying to shootmans whilst flying FA off, to increase the challenge and possibly the fun. In a Vulture to start with at least, as I'm not some kind of masochist.

(Also because any time another player decides that I need some non-consensual PvP I'm too terrible at fighting to do anything but run away :p)

Is this a terrible idea or does it have a good chance of making me less incompetent?

Edit: I have other ships, but thought that the Vulture would make this a lot easier to learn in.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

legooolas posted:

I have been thinking about switching to fixed weapons and trying to shootmans whilst flying FA off, to increase the challenge and possibly the fun. In a Vulture to start with at least, as I'm not some kind of masochist.

(Also because any time another player decides that I need some non-consensual PvP I'm too terrible at fighting to do anything but run away :p)

Is this a terrible idea or does it have a good chance of making me less incompetent?

Edit: I have other ships, but thought that the Vulture would make this a lot easier to learn in.
I had the same thought, also because fixed weapons do more damage right? Haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Would definitely take quite a while to get right. When I have my pc back over the summer I may give it a try.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

El Grillo posted:

I had the same thought, also because fixed weapons do more damage right?

Yeah, but as you will figure 'can I keep my fixed guns (they do have a tiny bit of tracking on them btw) on target enough to make up for gimbals that will hit easier but for a certain % less damage'. I'm sure someone has sperged the math to three decimal places somewhere :o:

Also, a question; did I miss it, or is there not a way to attach a key/button to cycle through turret modes, only via the right hand options panel?

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Seems like the Saitek-X56 is not a good buy, too bad because it looked so good on the surface. Amature review, but seems pretty risky to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkliSUIqgAY

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

vorebane posted:

Maybe Frontier will keep listening to their feedback and decide to increase money gains across the board?

Sea of brown say the grind is too easy right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wargames posted:

Sea of brown say the grind is too easy right now.

Yup, using ahk macros at 17 draconis/tun/etc. is way too easy therefore we must nerf the rep from all real missions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hamelekim posted:

Seems like the Saitek-X56 is not a good buy, too bad because it looked so good on the surface. Amature review, but seems pretty risky to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkliSUIqgAY

Saitek's whole business model is shiny bling on the outside, crap on the inside. I think we all saw this coming.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

hobbesmaster posted:

Yup, using ahk macros at 17 draconis/tun/etc. is way too easy therefore we must nerf the rep from all real missions.

Or they just got rich abusing bugs / design errors in beta and have been riding that wealth ever since.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Groggy nard posted:

So I did decide to do Robigo runs and not only are they fun but they feel like sensible progress and I thoroughly enjoy the game again, at least for the moment.

Why are they killing this with the patch again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well for a while there it looked like all trading missions would be like Robigo runs.

Unfortunately last I heard on the beta server it's even worse.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Hm, for some reason I haven't been able to land on airless planets. I can get close, but the detailed surface never draws in, and if I continue to fly close, I get the 'exclusion zone' warning. Has anyone experienced the same?

*edit* Huh, I was being stupid. I was running the regular client instead of the Horizons client. :iamafag:

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 22, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Are they nerfing mission payouts again? They're barely worth doing already.

I was hoping that removing the rank requirements would allow me to grab those elite "kill 50 pirates" missions and make some extra cash but if they pay 200k instead of a couple millions it's not worth the time to go back and cash them in.

gently caress the grind, seriously, they need to rebalance things for people that can't or won't play 20 hours every week.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah I really only do missions for rep/inf now as it is, and I'm not even that rich. On top of that, RES is going to be less lucrative with harder NPCs if they don't increase bounties along with difficulty.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Beta payouts are better than live (but much worse than beta 1 and 2) if you're allied with the faction.

The problem is, the system simply doesn't spawn a good variety of missions. It also doesn't cater to your abilities. It would be okay if you could pick and choose from a lot of missions, but you can get an assassination mission for 2.5 mil or a bunch of poo poo 50k courier missions that should at least pay 10x that.

The missions are also more tightly linked to the BGS now but I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, because it's impossible to test in a reasonable timeframe. Here's an example: a system at war has the factions at war spawn a lot missions to kill the other guys. Some of those even pay somewhat good money, but are for stupid numbers like 54 ships.

As a side note, note the amount of available missions the factions not at war factions had - the first number is missions I can take, the second is total available. It was like that almost everywhere I went.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Boy howdy those of you who like to fight in big ships better learn to love turrets or you're going to be stuck in turning fights with Viper 3's for a pissy 20k Cr payout :thumbsup:

PS: turrets still suck

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 22, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Panch posted:

So I did decide to do Robigo runs and not only are they fun but they feel like sensible progress and I thoroughly enjoy the game again, at least for the moment.

Why are they killing this with the patch again?

:ssh: You can sell all the slaves straight back to the commodities market after taking the missions, over and over.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I was given a 40k mission to kill a Pirate Lord in a Corvette, Corvettes love ramming!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Boy howdy those of you who like to fight in big ships better learn to love turrets or you're going to be stuck in turning fights with Viper 3's for a pissy 20k Cr payout :thumbsup:
Don't need turrets with a dirty-tuned Corvette.

I'm simultaneously dreading the Engineer grind and looking forward to the incredibly busted poo poo I know I'll be able to make with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PS: turrets still suck

They didn't change turrets?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I kind of wish they had two different server types, the current one and a "hardcore" and/or "simulation" type. On paper and even in alpha I liked the direction the game was going, and now it's like some pseudo MMO gamey thing. It's still fun but I really was looking forward to the other direction.

Things like perma death if you don't buy a clone in advance (my idea not theirs), having to buy ship insurance in advance, a more dynamic universe instead of instancing every npc encounter in specific instance bubbles (RES, Nav Beacons), ship malfunctions and ship wear and tear (ship personalization), open play only... etc.

Idk on paper it sounded more like a simulation to me and more personal with online multiplayer and it's evolved into a very MMO'esque game.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IIRC there was going to be an ironman option at some point, though it appears to have fallen by the wayside.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

Don't need turrets with a dirty-tuned Corvette.

I'm simultaneously dreading the Engineer grind and looking forward to the incredibly busted poo poo I know I'll be able to make with it.

I'm dreading having to make long term decision making with regards to ships.

I guess I'll have to settle on a Python until they release more ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Everything I read convinces me that people at Frontier need to be fired and replaced with people that know how to make fun games.

I have enough stuff on my backlog at this point that I don't feel like spending a bunch of time grinding to get money to do things.

At this point it actually looks like Star Citizen is making more progress than Elite is. This is a depressing thing to say.

• Locked thread