Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fujifilm cameras generally hold their value really well, partially because of stocking issues, but if you are worried about depreciation you are still in the window for re-selling it for the same price now. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just bear in mind that an XT-2 will likely cost $1600-1800 brand new so unless you grossly over paid you still got out cheaper.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah it all depends on how much you paid for it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

Yeah, I am certainly not disappointed by it. And I picked up the 35mm f/2 as well, which I am loving. Mainly just second guessing myself if an updated body is right around the corner.

Right now its a great time to buy XT1 and it has great/best pound for the money ratio. Maaaaybee you brought the 35mm/2 a couple months too early since a X-Sale is supposed to be coming. But it's just $100 difference.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I was browsing D&D and looked at a linked photo of some important politician at a congressional hearing. On the opposite side of the politician in the photo there was a swarm of other photographers. There were lots of what appeared to be standard DSLRs in the hands of most of them, but there was one toward the front of the human mass who appeared to be holding an X-Pro. I guess people are using these things for professional photojournalism.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was browsing D&D and looked at a linked photo of some important politician at a congressional hearing. On the opposite side of the politician in the photo there was a swarm of other photographers. There were lots of what appeared to be standard DSLRs in the hands of most of them, but there was one toward the front of the human mass who appeared to be holding an X-Pro. I guess people are using these things for professional photojournalism.

Last year a dude in Baltimore made the cover of Time magazine with an X-E2 + 27mm pancake.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

8th-snype posted:

Tri-X is one of the most forgiving films on the planet, what are you developing it in?

I originally thought the problem was my meter, but after shooting New Seagull 400 and some Rollei RPX, it's not. 120 Tri-X is just as dark but it resolves detail better than 135, so I find pushing sn extra stop helps with image clarity on 135 Tri-X. So now I either meter at 800 or 1600 and push one stop past that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

windex posted:

I originally thought the problem was my meter, but after shooting New Seagull 400 and some Rollei RPX, it's not. 120 Tri-X is just as dark but it resolves detail better than 135, so I find pushing sn extra stop helps with image clarity on 135 Tri-X. So now I either meter at 800 or 1600 and push one stop past that.

Okay so you have no idea what you are doing, cool.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Animal posted:

Last year a dude in Baltimore made the cover of Time magazine with an X-E2 + 27mm pancake.

When they first came out you would see Olympus PEN being used in magazine shoots a lot because of some promotion thing Olympus did. You cant tell the difference between this and pro camera* kind of thing

*web sized, with thousands of pounds worth of lighting, and professional photo shop editing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Animal posted:

Well, an iPhone 4S was used to take a Time Magazine cover, so it's not necessarily a mark of quality.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rio posted:

Yeah, I am certainly not disappointed by it. And I picked up the 35mm f/2 as well, which I am loving. Mainly just second guessing myself if an updated body is right around the corner.
You've got a perfectly good combo IMO.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

You've got a perfectly good combo IMO.

Agree with evil. The 35 f2 is an awesome lens. I wouldn't feel dumb for buying an xt1 now either. It's not like the xt2 is a massive upgrade. It has some new features that are nice, but when it comes to the photos they take, nobody will know the difference.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any advice on how to make the auto ISO not so dumb in the X-T1? I raised the sensitivity to 6400, and when it needs to it will raise the sensitivity. But on the other side it will usually just stay at iso 800 in daylight with ridiculously fast shutter speeds instead of choosing an appropriate iso - I'm not sure why 800 is where the camera chooses to set the ISO so often.

I will use the manual control dials of course, but if I am with my daughter and just want to fire off some shots it would be nice to have the option to put both knobs on A and go hog wild without wondering why the camera is not adjusting the iso in a common sense way.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Check your DR settings. At DR400 you'll be at a minimum ISO 800. I keep DR at auto, and it seems to me that the camera will just select the highest DR range for corresponding ISO. (e.g. ISO 400 auto exposure will result in DR200)

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Shoot manual.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Or, just don't care about using ISO up to 6400 because it's ridiculously clean compared to Bayer sensors unless you're in extreme low light.

The only time I care about manual ISO is when I'm using manual flash.

Edit: to be slightly more helpful, how much of your XT-1 is in Auto mode? Obviously ISO, but what about aperture and shutter?

The X-T1 can set a "minimum shutter speed value" when shutter is in Auto mode. If you go below that speed and you're already wide open (or are manual in your aperture), it will increase the ISO to set the correct exposure. So, if you have a really high minimum shutter speed value that might also be the culprit. Or if it's really dark outside.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 19, 2016

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-handheld-high-resolution-mode-will-be-one-of-the-new-features-on-the-e-m1ii/

:ohdear:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

This is pretty cool. The high-res mode does weird stuff with moving objects in scenes though, right?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

rio posted:

Any advice on how to make the auto ISO not so dumb in the X-T1? I raised the sensitivity to 6400, and when it needs to it will raise the sensitivity. But on the other side it will usually just stay at iso 800 in daylight with ridiculously fast shutter speeds instead of choosing an appropriate iso - I'm not sure why 800 is where the camera chooses to set the ISO so often.

I will use the manual control dials of course, but if I am with my daughter and just want to fire off some shots it would be nice to have the option to put both knobs on A and go hog wild without wondering why the camera is not adjusting the iso in a common sense way.

That's probably because its using the auto dynamic range. It needs to bump the ISO to give you DR200 and DR400. Try manually setting DR to 100. I have my XT-1 here with me so I'll test it once I am out of the subway and in broad daylight. Also I am gonna meet with a friend now to try the XPro2 and compare to XT1.

Edit: beaten by lost cell signal. Thanks Obama.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Animal posted:

That's probably because its using the auto dynamic range. It needs to bump the ISO to give you DR200 and DR400. Try manually setting DR to 100. I have my XT-1 here with me so I'll test it once I am out of the subway and in broad daylight. Also I am gonna meet with a friend now to try the XPro2 and compare to XT1.

Edit: beaten by lost cell signal. Thanks Obama.

I set my DR to 100 and leave it. Everything looks plastic to me if it's set to anything different.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That was it. I had it set to dr400 - I'll put it back to normal.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

This is pretty cool. The high-res mode does weird stuff with moving objects in scenes though, right?
Yeah, because it literally takes 8 (or maybe more in the EM1 when it's finally released?) and then stitches them together in-camera for the high-megapixelness. Moving objects would be in slightly different places for each exposure which is why you get the weird ghosting effect.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Selling my OM-D E-M5 to pick up a X100S. Hope I won't regret it!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eeeeeeeeee :f5:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has any nerd site done a sharpness analysis of the Olympus high resolution mode? Is it as sharp as 40mp, or it has effective resolution slightly lower due to algorithm or lens limitation?

I wonder why the Pen-F is not more popular? On paper it should be very appealing to DP1M shooters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Has any nerd site done a sharpness analysis of the Olympus high resolution mode? Is it as sharp as 40mp, or it has effective resolution slightly lower due to algorithm or lens limitation?

I wonder why the Pen-F is not more popular? On paper it should be very appealing to DP1M shooters.

I haven't analyzed it beyond eyeballing a few shots I took for shits and giggles but they definitely look notably sharper. I'll have to do some controlled shots sometime.

The PEN-F seems like it has a hell of a sensor on it but $1,200 is asking quite a bit, and DPreview said it's not great with some of the zoom lenses and video is a little underwhelming. Goddamn do I love the look of it though.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Are there any good compact systems out there at the moment with a lower end/older body and a decent 50mm or 35mm equiv for under about $600 USD? Prime like that preferred but lovely kitty zoom would do if it's not complete garbage and is within that budget.

Friend wants a recommendation for their kid which they can grow into, upgrade body and buy more lenses down the line.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Are there any good compact systems out there at the moment with a lower end/older body and a decent 50mm or 35mm equiv for under about $600 USD? Prime like that preferred but lovely kitty zoom would do if it's not complete garbage and is within that budget.

Friend wants a recommendation for their kid which they can grow into, upgrade body and buy more lenses down the line.

Fuji X-E1's can be had for under $200 used, plus the 35mm F2 (50mm equiv) when it comes on sale will total about $500.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 20, 2016

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006

Animal posted:

Fuji X-E2's can be had for under $200 used, plus the 35mm F2 (50mm equiv) when it comes on sale will total about $500.

Cool do you know is the EVF on that considered decent?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

m43 25mm (50 equiv) 1.8 or 1.7 can be had for ~200 easy and a used or older body under 400. If you go kit I believe the panny is better than oly. The better panny cameras have some cool features which will be good for kid photos like being able to choose a still +/- some seconds from when you actually pressed the shutter.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Cool do you know is the EVF on that considered decent?

Yes its a pretty good EVF. Refresh goes down in low light but its totally usable. My sister still shoots with her X-E1 + 35mm f/1.4 and other than her desire for integrated WiFi she doesn't really seem dissatisfied with anything else about the camera. So I'll probably buy her an X-E2.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I brought a new gray market Panasonic GM1 with a kit lens for 300 on ebay. You probably can get a GM5 (it has a EVF) for 50% more. They are as light and compact as the RX100.

I would recommend a X100s if the user is an adult.

But...kids won't use these cameras unless they can post the picture to social media directly from the camera.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Xabi posted:

Selling my OM-D E-M5 to pick up a X100S. Hope I won't regret it!

I'm not sure this is a great idea to be perfectly honest. I have the OM-D E-M5 and the X100 (the S is slightly faster with the autofocus) and the EM-5 with the Panasonic Leica 25mm ƒ/1.4 just blows it out of the water in every conceivable way.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

DJExile posted:

I haven't analyzed it beyond eyeballing a few shots I took for shits and giggles but they definitely look notably sharper. I'll have to do some controlled shots sometime.

The PEN-F seems like it has a hell of a sensor on it but $1,200 is asking quite a bit, and DPreview said it's not great with some of the zoom lenses and video is a little underwhelming. Goddamn do I love the look of it though.

The PEN-F is an amazing camera for me, but I can't speak to the autofocus at all because the lenses I use on it are the Kowa 8.5, the Voigtlander 17.5, and some M mount glass with an adapter, all manual focus. I've been shooting mine since the first week of March.

Pros:

Plenty usable at ISO 1600 during the day all day, especially at f5.6 or f8 with the electronic shutter (gains a stop over hardware, 1/16000 vs 1/8000). Useful for days when you just want to snap photos, I drop to ISO400 on really bright days. ISO200 does not have much in the way of recoverability.

Plenty usable at ISO 6400 at night, as long as you don't peep (about as good as ISO 12,800 on a 5D3).

DOF bonus from smaller image circle is great for manual focus forgiveness.

"ESP" metering with closed up lenses is pretty decent at getting you the most recoverable image if you like to shoot in aperture priority, with exposure compensation needed for night photos. Caveat: More open than f2.8 you pretty much have to change to spot metering, f4 is questionable ultra wide.

Olympus' FL-600R flash is pretty great, especially since it accepts guide number input vs flash power. I use it with my film gear now instead of my Canon flashes.

Cons:

The menu system sucks. Every time you change a contactless lens you have to dig through six screens.

In some lighting conditions (mostly tungsten), the electronic shutter has some issues with discoloration.

Fast moving objects have issues with rolling shutter when using the electronic shutter, which works row by row down the sensor. People walking or running is okay, vehicles in motion above 20-30kph, no.

The mode selection dial on the front gets in the way sometimes and is only really is useful to me in either normal or mono, because I never use ooc jpegs anyway. The ooc jpegs are pretty okay though.

You will probably need a soft release, if anything, just to improve the ergonomics of the shutter release button.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure this is a great idea to be perfectly honest. I have the OM-D E-M5 and the X100 (the S is slightly faster with the autofocus) and the EM-5 with the Panasonic Leica 25mm ƒ/1.4 just blows it out of the water in every conceivable way.

Oh oh!

I must admit that the autofocus is a bit of a concern, because the X100S feels a bit sluggish compared to the OM-D. It is sexy though and the size is nice. I won't have to spend time wondering what kind of lens I should being along with me...

But now you've got me worried (haven't gone through with the plan yet, though)!

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 21, 2016

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Animal posted:

Fuji X-E2's can be had for under $200 used, plus the 35mm F2 (50mm equiv) when it comes on sale will total about $500.

I'd be shocked to find an X-E2 for under $200 used; I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I could find it. An X-E1 at that price I could see.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Borachon posted:

I'd be shocked to find an X-E2 for under $200 used; I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I could find it. An X-E1 at that price I could see.

Sorry, I meant X-E1. Editing.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The e2 is nearly a new camera with the latest firmware the e1 doesn't get so it's not nearly as good. The viewfinder also lagged a bunch the time I tried one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The X-E2 will be a better user experience with the EVF and AF improvements but the sensor changes are negligible between it and the X-E1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks all for the advice.

They went ahead and ignored my advice and their budget and bought a brand new Sony a6000.