Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I don't know if this is just how it's framed but Walsh looks bloated

He's definitely gained weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a question. This is mainstream news and it's a few months old but I think it's relevant since it's in regards to right wing politics and the media. If it should go somewhere else, please let me know. I just want to see if I'm looking at this wrongly.

Now I'm a Leftist and I think this is in part due to American Conservatism which is full of ideas and things I hate. However, I do find some elements of right wing European politics agreeable. Such as the views on Islam and the dangers of radical immigrants.

Now I don't consider myself a mindless drone or stooge and I think any healthy individual will be wary when someone says "don't trust them, only trust us." So in spite of my agreement with her ideas, I was a bit skeptical of this video featuring a UK Righty named Anne Maria Waters who said the mainstream media was all against her and groups like PEGIDA.

So I went to investigate this myself.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35275546
This is the BBC. This is mainstream British news and it says, and I quote:
"And this is all very strange. Arabs and North Africans attacking German women in several cities - not just Cologne - is like a gift to PEGIDA and people like Tommy Robinson. And there are conspiracy theories in the air that the New Year's Eve attackers were encouraged to make sexual approaches to German women; told that it was the normal thing to do on New Year's Eve. If true, they may have fallen into a well-laid trap."

Now, the question. Can the media just casually slip in baseless accusations alongside actual news? Is this pushing an agenda? Yes, it notes that this is a conspiracy theory but it prefaces it with an "objective declaration" that PEGIDA and co. are happy these women were raped. It thus lends validation and credibility to theconspiracy theory that, for all we know, the BBC made up.

I'm sorry but this seems extremely slanderous and kind of awful Even if they are Neo Nazis or whatever like I've heard, I just never expected something like this. It seems extremely manipulative and wrong to in any way suggest rapists aren't responsible for what they did.

And apologies, I haven't paid attention to politics in years. I'm doing my best to play catch-up.

Yeah, mate. American media has been pulling stunts like that for quite some time now, inspired by (you guessed it) Fox News and enabled by the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine (nearly appealed, gently caress you Reagan :argh:).

The catch-up ahead of you sounds to be kinda vast, I'd definitely check out the OP of the USPOL thread. (The long pieces on The Atlantic by Ta-Nehisi Coates are especially compelling to me.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That is an extremely unfortunate image for a lot of reasons

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Epic High Five posted:

New hitman level looking boring as gently caress.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Epic High Five posted:

I can't see his forearm! How am I supposed to tell if he's Christian or not?!?!?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah, mate. American media has been pulling stunts like that for quite some time now, inspired by (you guessed it) Fox News and enabled by the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine (nearly appealed, gently caress you Reagan :argh:).

The catch-up ahead of you sounds to be kinda vast, I'd definitely check out the OP of the USPOL thread. (The long pieces on The Atlantic by Ta-Nehisi Coates are especially compelling to me.)

See, I'm gonna be 28 this year and I literally have never voted once in my life. When I was younger and even more retarded than I am now, I was a hardcore Far Left kind of guy who thought the whole American system was a sham anyway so why bother wasting my time. Then I just got disillusioned with politics in general, denouncing all of them as liars and manipulators and ofocused more just on my personal life. But even in my little bubble, the heated atmosphere of this upcoming presidential election made me take notice. Looking up Trump's and Clinton's platforms on various topics made me start to examine what's happening in the wider USA and beyond and...well, here I am,trying to learn all I can as fast as I can.

It's just, I had so much respect for what I saw of politics in England. Conservatives there actually seemed to be...ya know, sane. I am a liberal but I see actual appealing elements in European conservatism. But I guess no place is perfect and being better than America is not a high bar to pass when it comes to stuff like honest and informed media.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at that topic now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

NikkolasKing posted:

See, I'm gonna be 28 this year and I literally have never voted once in my life. When I was younger and even more retarded than I am now, I was a hardcore Far Left kind of guy who thought the whole American system was a sham anyway so why bother wasting my time. Then I just got disillusioned with politics in general, denouncing all of them as liars and manipulators and ofocused more just on my personal life. But even in my little bubble, the heated atmosphere of this upcoming presidential election made me take notice. Looking up Trump's and Clinton's platforms on various topics made me start to examine what's happening in the wider USA and beyond and...well, here I am,trying to learn all I can as fast as I can.

It's just, I had so much respect for what I saw of politics in England. Conservatives there actually seemed to be...ya know, sane. I am a liberal but I see actual appealing elements in European conservatism. But I guess no place is perfect and being better than America is not a high bar to pass when it comes to stuff like honest and informed media.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at that topic now.

I hate to sound patronising, but as someone FROM the UK, our conservatives may not scream and rant and rave about Jesus, and may be inclined to be ok towards LGBT peoples, but they are still horrendous, horrendous folk.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Samovar posted:

I hate to sound patronising, but as someone FROM the UK, our conservatives may not scream and rant and rave about Jesus, and may be inclined to be ok towards LGBT peoples, but they are still horrendous, horrendous folk.
Wanna trade?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It's weird but not at all unexpected that Matt Walsh's mom cuts his hair.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Samovar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvl47ANhrx4

I've talked to some British Conservatives. They have actually interesting and logical arguments, like whether or not to leave the EU.They're not arguing about if evolution is factual or if their opponents wee born in Kenya or if the government is somehow taking away our liberties by helping people.

How about we deport all our Evangelical Christians to England and you give us your Conservatives?

Or perhaps I've watched too much of The Big Questions on YouTube. That's a loving awesome show, by the way. I've learned about so many cool people.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 21, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yes, but remember how some of these 'sensible' conservatives have thought it a valid argument to compare the E.U. to the hegemonising urge that drove Hitler and Napoleon. Recall how they have stated that without being in the E.U., the U.K. could be more like Albania (which is trying like hell to JOIN the E.U.). That leaving the E.U. would grant more political powers to Scotland (my arse).

Just because they don't drawl doesn't mean they're not nuts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I know about European politics is that some country have themselves some Conservatives that out liberal our liberals.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Samovar posted:

Yes, but remember how some of these 'sensible' conservatives have thought it a valid argument to compare the E.U. to the hegemonising urge that drove Hitler and Napoleon. Recall how they have stated that without being in the E.U., the U.K. could be more like Albania (which is trying like hell to JOIN the E.U.). That leaving the E.U. would grant more political powers to Scotland (my arse).

Just because they don't drawl doesn't mean they're not nuts.

I think there's an order-of-magnitude concern here. It's entirely true that British conservatives make reprehensible hyperbole with respect to immigration, and Britain's participation in European politics (I do agree, their views are awful!), but on the other hand, you have US conservatives cultivating the idea that the current American president is not only a foreign-born Muslim usurper, but that he is very possibly the Antichrist figure that only shows up in a particularly bizarre (and exclusively American) version of fundamentalist Christianity. This is a difference between 'Japan deserved to be nuked', and 'Squirrels are chewing in my brain, so I hard them post office spare change'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fair dos.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RareAcumen posted:

All I know about European politics is that some country have themselves some Conservatives that out liberal our liberals.

That's not too hat considering that this country basically doesn't have a meaningful liberal party. The right wing is so powerful here that going even slightly against it is denounced as godless heresey. Not too surprising given they evangelicals were part of the biggest supporters for conservatives and have long since considered whatever they dictate as actual gospel. The people we refer to as liberal are usually to afraid of appearing extremist to really go anywhere to what most of the world would consider leftist. The right wing here thrives on being extremist since their domination of the narrative will normalize whatever they say, no matter how blatantly incorrect or bigoted.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 21, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Geostomp posted:

That's not too hat considering that this country basically doesn't have a meaningful liberal party. The right wing is so powerful here that going even slightly against it is denounced as godless heresey. Not too surprising given they evangelicals were part of the biggest supporters for conservatives and have long since considered whatever they dictate as actual gospel. The people we refer to as liberal are usually to afraid of appearing extremist to really go anywhere to what most of the world would consider leftist. The right wing here thrives on being extremist since their domination of the narrative will normalize whatever they say, no matter how blatantly incorrect or bigoted.

The USPOL thread had some great book recs and when looking up stuff about them, I found this video by the author of How the Right Went Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U953Lj8x3Hg

Apparently, the political discourse I've seen all my life is a relatively new thing. Asa fan of history I know all about how Democrats and Republicans basically switched camps but I had no idea that, at one time, there were liberal or moderate Conservatives here in the States. The Republican Party wasn't always just a series of guys trying to out crazy each other.

As for the Dems, I am new to all this as I said, but apparently Bernie's followers are the "we're the REAL Liberals, unlike those sellouts in the Democratic Party."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Don't lionize Brit politicians please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzBWmpzifc

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In short no, European conservatives are just as whackadoo and are actually worse because they're not so obviously crazy to people who disagree.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

In short no, European conservatives are just as whackadoo and are actually worse because they're not so obviously crazy to people who disagree.

I'm not saying all of Europe, just that one country does. Can't remember which one it was off the top of my head though. Was it Germany?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UK posters like (rightfully) to go into histrionics over their current government, but lol at comparing them to Republicans. Even that Cameron quote above is loving harmless compared to any number of things over here.

Come see. East Texas is quaint. Come see. I will show you brick churches with no windows in Tennesee. Come see. The crosses light the road at night. Come see.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

He's definitely gained weight.

It's impossible to tell because that shirt he's wearing is four sizes too big

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bushiz posted:

It's impossible to tell because that shirt he's wearing is four sizes too big

He's probably got moobs coming in.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Man that is a textbook bloatee if I've ever seen one

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I'm really not even sure if he's getting fat because I'm like sixty percent sure he could take that shirt off without unbuttoning it, it's so oversized for him. The sleeves start, like, halfway down his biceps.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

The tell is the neckfat under his beard. This is why full neckbeards are useful. If you're overweight trying to define a jawline like that only makes it look worse.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is making me wish there was some tabloid magazine where instead of celebrities it was all just candid shots of right wing bloggers and discussions as to whether they're getting chunky

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

request: that goonpost about how playing video games is more rewarding than loving

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aliquid posted:

request: that goonpost about how playing video games is more rewarding than loving

No loving way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hope that's disbelief and not refusal

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Aliquid posted:

They're both very rewarding but why elevate one over the other?!?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aliquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbgpsNUn1I

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Aliquid posted:

i hope that's disbelief and not refusal

I assume such people exist but post on other sites about being banned from SA for being giant creeps.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Aliquid posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1452170&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post296656980

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is making me wish there was some tabloid magazine where instead of celebrities it was all just candid shots of right wing bloggers and discussions as to whether they're getting chunky

Nah, it's creepy and weird when tabloids go all CSI on someone's weight and when goons do it its weird, creepy, and hypocritical.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Nah, it's creepy and weird when tabloids go all CSI on someone's weight and when goons do it its weird, creepy, and hypocritical.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not saying all of Europe, just that one country does. Can't remember which one it was off the top of my head though. Was it Germany?

The German CDU are very moderate by American standards, to the point where they're basically identical in policy to 90s vintage American Democrats. The French UMP/Republicans, I suspect, are similar, though I don't know enough about French politics to really say more in detail. British conservatives are a little bit more moderate than American Republicans, but not by much. Eastern/Post Soviet Europe conservative parties have mostly become neo-fascists, as have Scandanavia's. I'm not really sure about Spain/Portugal/Italy/Greece, but my general impression is that their conservatives are about similar to Western Europe's

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 22, 2016

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

I'm not really sure about Spain/Portugal/Italy/Greece, but my general impression is that their conservatives are about similar to Western Europe's

Well, in Italy you had Silvio Berlusconi, whose list of scandals and controversies has its own entire Wikipedia page, and who is basically an Italian Donald Trump. And of course in Greece you have the dramatic rise of the Golden Dawn, who, uh, are

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Well, in Italy you had Silvio Berlusconi, whose list of scandals and controversies has its own entire Wikipedia page, and who is basically an Italian Donald Trump. And of course in Greece you have the dramatic rise of the Golden Dawn, who, uh, are

Far Right parties are not the same as Conservative parties, though. Unless there is no actual popular conservative party in Greece. I wouldn't know.

My understanding is that England simply has more diversity than we do. The Republican Party in America has purged all the liberals and moderates over the years and created one giant culture of extremism where every member has to tow the party line on pretty much everything. There seems to be more dissent and diversity in the UK so while you can get crazies, it isn't a party of crazies that celebrate being as crazy as possible.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Often when you take conservative principles to their logical conclusion, you end with fascism. It's a game of chicken many of us don't wish to risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

Often when you take conservative principles to their logical conclusion, you end with fascism. It's a game of chicken many of us don't wish to risk.

Not American Conservatism. If I remember history right, Fascism supports government control over the economy. Absolute control over all businesses. Which fits because Fascism makes the State the center of absolutely every facet of life.

That runs against everything American Conservatism stands for ie. "get your filthy paws off my money " and "gently caress you, I got mine."