Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
This evening I learned just enough about scripting ZDoom to hack together restart.wad, so I thought I'd share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's a very small utility WAD that adds (a) a keybinding to restart the current map from a pistol start, and (b) a variable ("quickrestartondeath") that you can set to automatically pistol-start the current map when you die rather than loading an autosave. It should work perfectly with any custom weapon mods, so feel free to add it to your autoload list. It won't get along with multiplayer though, or any hub-based games or WADs that keep world state across level loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Whoever it was talking up Project Brutality all the time wasn't kidding; it's great! I just got the revolver and started going all :ocelot: on some helldemons.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
For those asking for level making tutorials https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing-tutorials/ is probably the best one-stop-shop. Thank our dear linguica for getting it started.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Made my first monster closet. It's me. I've gone nuclear.

edit: But to be fair to myself, it's a chainsaw and the monster trap is full of a gaggle of pinkies. So it's less like a trap and more like a fun opportunity.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

thebushcommander posted:

Kind of off topic, but does anyone play Reflex? I didn't know it was a thing until 2 days ago and it looks like something I would enjoy as someone that played too much cpma back in the day.

I saw DDK's videos of Hal playing CPMA and really wanted to play it but didn't have a lot of luck/motivation messing with qtracker and eventually picked up Reflex. Not sure how it compares to CPMA but I've really enjoyed it, despite mostly getting crushed. Turning around and axe killing someone who chased me through a teleporter was one of the most satisfying moments I've had in an MP game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Great to see people playing around with Doom mapping! It's very easy, but also tricky at the same time. The trickiness is more on the creative side than the technical, though - creating environments that are fun to run through and interesting monster encounters and all that. A couple of mappers wrote a fuckin' essay on monster placement theory that you might find useful or interesting.

I dunno what's happening with DUMP 3. I think Term wants to change the formula up a little bit? We'll see.

Speaking of maps, a rejected Arcane Dimensions map was given a stand-alone release if you're looking for a few more minutes of Quake.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I should make a chex map, because I have fond memories of blasting flemoids back to their own dimension.

Though I could have sworn that when I was a kid the Flembrane stayed oriented forward like a wall rather than always facing you. Musta been by imagination.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm still working through tutorials, but I have to say that carving out spaces that I can run through as Doomguy via sectors is an amazing feeling. Just seen an empty room with a pillar and a walled off section makes me want to cry with joy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Doom mapping and mapping for D&D games seem pretty similar to me in layout (obviously you have to add textures for Doom and other stuff), and that's probably not a coincidence, (Seeing as the cacodemon is the astral dreadnought from the Manual of the Planes, yadda yadda.)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

E: i'm dumb and wrong

laserghost fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 21, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

Speaking of maps, a rejected Arcane Dimensions map was given a stand-alone release if you're looking for a few more minutes of Quake.

I should ask: How's the TrenchBroom map thing? Was gonna try to learn it if it's any good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Since we're talking about Doom mapping I'm going to shamelessly repost a map I finished some weeks ago that replaces E3M1 in Ultimate Doom. It's vanilla compatible and was tested in Doom.exe, so naturally it should work with any source port.

Download

quote:

Do any of you nerds run the Doom.TXT twitter account? I can't link it from my work computer, but I saw a particularly good one today torn from the DOOM 4 thread. Really tickled me.

Doom.txt is run by multiple people.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
NeuDoom talk: my profile got corrupted like 5 hours into play :[ Good thing I don't mind restarting the game due to it being good!

Be sure to manually back up your save games every once in a while until they fix this.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/ammnontet/status/733879135123079168

Additional Doom's

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
One free DOOM per customer, please.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's the context? Shareware discs?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

Made my first monster closet. It's me. I've gone nuclear.

edit: But to be fair to myself, it's a chainsaw and the monster trap is full of a gaggle of pinkies. So it's less like a trap and more like a fun opportunity.

So tell me... what are your feelings on arachnotrons? :getin:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

Just name it Brutal Mordeth.

Please use content warnings or censor words like d*th, some of us have suffered the loss of loved ones and can lapse into anxiety attacks when reminded of that.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

What's the context? Shareware discs?
Might be the Doom 2 manual, going by his other tweets.

https://twitter.com/ammnontet/status/733878778200350720
https://twitter.com/ammnontet/status/733879057146748928
https://twitter.com/ammnontet/status/733879259974881280

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Not that it's a major achievement, but I beat Knee Deep in the Dead on Ultra-Violence. It was so much more fun chewing through those monsters and actually sweating resources. I can never go back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
GZDoombuilder seems pretty easy and fun, though I can't figure out why my door starts open and doesn't close itself until you 'use' it, after that it works normally.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

Might be the Doom 2 manual, going by his other tweets.

https://twitter.com/ammnontet/status/733878778200350720

Man, I remember taking this manual to school and reading it over and over again. Doom II really did add a bunch of enemies to fulfill critical positions in the game. It's still sort of crazy thinking that the Chaingunner, HK, Revenant, Arch-Vile, Pain Elemental, Arachnotron, and Mancubus were introduced in Doom II.

And speaking of the Mancubus, the first note on Doom Wiki's Mancubus Page:

"Doom Wiki Mancubus Page posted:

The latex model of the monster used as a base for the sprite, seen here, has three pairs of nipples. The extra nipples are not really distinguishable in the in-game representation, where only the upper "normal" ones are seen, although their intended locations can still be seen.

Hard-hitting facts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

GZDoombuilder seems pretty easy and fun, though I can't figure out why my door starts open and doesn't close itself until you 'use' it, after that it works normally.
This is kind of a "have you turned it off and on again" level of advice, but have you built the door to be closed (ceiling at the same level as the floor)?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Move your door sector's ceiling down until it's at the same height as the floor.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

This is kind of a "have you turned it off and on again" level of advice, but have you built the door to be closed (ceiling at the same level as the floor)?

Cat Mattress posted:

Move your door sector's ceiling down until it's at the same height as the floor.

:doh: Somehow missed that step. Okay yep, that works and makes sense. Thank ye.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also keep in mind that if you make an elevated floor and put a door on one of the walls, make sure to set the ceiling height to whatever the floor's height is instead of 0 because then you end up with the world's longest door and it looks very silly. (speaking from personal experience)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That's why it's better to put doors in little alcoves rather than directly on the walls.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's worth noting that the top bar in GZDoom Builder has some very useful options that help save time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

It's worth noting that the top bar in GZDoom Builder has some very useful options that help save time.

:eyepop: I really need to explore this UI some more.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've found a little , but very run online FPS which plays like something between Wolfenstein 3D and ROTT: Lab it's quite polished and runs very smoothly. It even has secret passages opened via stepping on floor switches! Actually, it reminds me a lot of 8Bit Killer.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

laserghost posted:

I've found a little , but very run online FPS which plays like something between Wolfenstein 3D and ROTT: Lab it's quite polished and runs very smoothly. It even has secret passages opened via stepping on floor switches! Actually, it reminds me a lot of 8Bit Killer.

This is pretty neat. I agree completely with the comparison between Wolf3d and ROTT. It has a nice polish to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

gently caress. Well, that'll save some time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

This is pretty cute, but I'm not a big fan of some of the design decisions (like having the automap be a wall texture :wtf:) and the sound design outside of the nice licensed music is just bad. It's a cute little distraction, at least.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress. Well, that'll save some time.

The best thing about that button is that it does the whole thing, right down to putting door-rail textures on the sides. Really saves some hassle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now that I know it exists, that button is also helpful for creating door triggers like switches (or monster closets :getin:) because all you have to do after it makes the door is remove the action flags, then tie the logic to the sector it created.

My first level is almost finished being laid out! I am excited to start styling and prettying it up. :toot:

I did a cool thing with a floor.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dominic White posted:

The best thing about that button is that it does the whole thing, right down to putting door-rail textures on the sides. Really saves some hassle.

It's quite funny because you know there's a good reason that button exists.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's quite funny because you know there's a good reason that button exists.

To create doors quickly?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of doors, I've got a weird issue with one that I can't figure out. When the door is used or otherwise activated, it doesn't actually go upward, it goes down like half a step's length and then just stays there. I've tried deleting and remaking the sector but the same thing happens. What could I have done to gently caress that up?? :confused:

edit: Figured it out, I think?

I had 2 sectors in those alcoves north and south of the door to create walls on all sides instead of just making vertexes on the lines that already existed, which for some reason made the door inoperable I guess?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 21, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of doors, I've got a weird issue with one that I can't figure out. When the door is used or otherwise activated, it doesn't actually go upward, it goes down like half a step's length and then just stays there. I've tried deleting and remaking the sector but the same thing happens. What could I have done to gently caress that up?? :confused:
It's very simple: you have another sector that neighbors the door that has its ceiling at floor level (or lower).

See, when a door opens up, it looks for the lowest neighboring ceiling, subtract some value (4 IIRC) from that, and moves up to there. So let's say you have two doors that touch each other: door 1 has floor 0, ceiling 0; door 2 has floor 0, ceiling 0, the surrounding rooms may have floor 0, ceiling 256 for all we care it doesn't matter. You open door 1, it looks for lowest neighboring ceiling, since door 2 is a neighboring sector the lowest neighboring ceiling is at 0, so door 1 will then proceed to raise up to 0 - 4: it moves up to a lower height. When a sector moves up to a lower height, or down to a higher height, the movement is instantaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

laserghost posted:

That was pretty fun, but boy do I not miss the days of playing FPSes with keyboard only.