Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
German HE is getting buffed a bit next patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Buff the Yorck :c00lbert:

But yes you should be shooting DDs with AP, not HE, as a German cruiser. Unless you're Yorck, god of DD hunting.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Velius posted:

Finally got the Zao, and it's fun. So far I'm liking the ballistics and torpedo angles a lot. It really seems like the idealized Japanese CA overall, which makes sense. Also am I insane or are Russian high tier destroyers insanely durable? I was hitting with 8" HE for 50-100 damage. Should I be using AP? Do they have citadels?

Going for the Hindenberg next, because I like citadels. Is it able to get good mileage out of AP against battleships to make up for the mediocre HE? I know that drives me crazy in the Hipper, just being unable to do poo poo to destroyers. I guess I should repeat my above question, is it better to use good AP over lovely HE on destroyers with German CAs?

I actually think the torpedos on Zao are a massive let down, both in range and arcs. I would trade them for the Ibuki's in a heartbeat.

I've stopped at the Hipper on the German line because I don't like being reliant on seeing someone broadside to take full advantage of my ships strength.

If/when I go for another T10 it will be Moskva.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hipper is just no fun. Roon is way better.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hipper turns juuuust slow enough that a battleship or cruiser trying to blap you will hit you with the very last shell on your backside and cit you.

It's depressing to see salvos of german AP bounce of everything you shoot because of the velocity/angle of attack, in that ship

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Does anyone have a Moskva ? How do the ballistics compare to the Zao and Hindenburg ?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Just was playing the Moskva on public test. Super high velocity shells. You are reaching 22 km range in 11.5 seconds and firing nine of those 220s every ten seconds. It really is something.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Does anyone have a Moskva ? How do the ballistics compare to the Zao and Hindenburg ?

I don't have one but the guns seems pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tNcCTULvw

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I absolutely loved the Yorck (assuming I would hate it), and i'm not enjoying the Hipper at all. The HE buff will help, but im also hoping the third hull gets a faster rudder too. I know the Roon is supposed to be a huge upgrade but i'm starting to have serious second thoughts on the whole line.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

More advice

Just to follow up, you guys changed the Farragut for me. Pulled my win ratio in it up from ~33% to near 50% in my last 20 or 30 matches in it. The Mahan is going much better. Thanks.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

bless victories in a 2X weekend

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

will_colorado posted:

bless victories in a 2X weekend

Coincidentally enough I was in that game with you

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This is what you let a Ryujo do when you drive a strike fit Independence

Don't drive a strike fit Independence.

That's two Fusos and a Kongo in a tier 6 game, and it was absolutely the difference.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've kept a Zuiho for CV seal-clubbing. A Zuiho can only see up to T6 whereas a Ryujo can get T8, thats definately not worth the extra flight squad the Ryujo gets. Also have a Shokaku which I have a good win rate with but I'm still getting used to.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
When I first got the Phoenix I hated it. It was poorly armed compared to the St Louis and had a nasty habit of exploding. Now that I've learned how to use it properly, and upgraded it to have a decent range, I think it's grown on me.

(that guy towards the back is the enemy carrier, who had 6 kills himself)

And now I'm in the Omaha and back down to 11km range :negative:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

My stats taken from wows-numbers.com (Panzerblitz). Table to the far right is the last 21 days, but I didn't really play much recently until I bought the Molotow a couple of days ago.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

My stats taken from wows-numbers.com (Panzerblitz). Table to the far right is the last 21 days, but I didn't really play much recently until I bought the Molotow a couple of days ago.

According to that thing, I need to play my stat padder battleship more. Carriers are my worst ship type (I already typed up a rant on that) and second worse is apparently battleships.

I made a nicholas look bad yesterday as I clowned him with just my guns in the kamikaze r. Yes, that is bad and embarrassing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I'm kinda bad in BBs compared to other classes. Although I really enjoy playing them.

I have bad situational awareness at times, best example is my Yamato. When I hang back I'm often too far away to get good hits on vulnerable ships. When I try to lead and push then the publords never follow me and run scared....and then I usually eat torps or get focused. I guess I should play lower tier BBs more often like the Texas and Arizona Beta.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

I'm kinda bad in BBs compared to other classes. Although I really enjoy playing them.

I have bad situational awareness at times, best example is my Yamato. When I hang back I'm often too far away to get good hits on vulnerable ships. When I try to lead and push then the publords never follow me and run scared....and then I usually eat torps or get focused. I guess I should play lower tier BBs more often like the Texas and Arizona Beta.

I did that recently. I was in my nikolai too so it can easily take a beating. I got in a knife fight with a kongo and came out the victor with still half my health and keep pushing on to their next bb. Then I realize the other bb that was with me had turned away and even the two DDs were hiding behind me. So naturally, I got torped and died. Our team naturally lost after some time while gasping for air. The best part was that 3/4th of my team had all decided to go one direction anyway and were getting killed because they wouldn't push. Oh, and of course, there was also an aircraft carrier on both teams and the push I was leading had a nice short line towards their cv who had already been spotted. God was than an annoying game.

In tanks, there is a fear of just getting hit. In WoWS artillery hits are ok, but if there is a ship out there with torpedos, run away apparently.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Eh, 2 posts, I know but kind of worth mentioning this in a second post.

So iChase did a review of the indy as well. And he has some interesting news that we sort of noticed with flamu's video. There is a possibility that the armor scheme is bugged on the review versions of the indy people are playing. That is, as iChase notes, a blys for example can citadel an indy with HE shells. Now, as a heavy cruiser, that shouldn't be happening. So either wargaming says working as intended and you play it like a molotov or wargaming says oops and things greatly change in playstyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvrcytAVPw

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm still having such trouble outfitting my Fubuki and the Fubuki captain. I have no idea which skills to choose and which modules to mount outside of the concealment, rudder, and propulsion mods. Any suggestions?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
New in game contest this weekend. Highest damage in a single match in either the Kirov or the Koenigsberg. I'm finding it way harder to get super high numbers in the Koenigsberg due to low fire chance and in the Kirov because of the low fire rate than when I was using the Omaha last weekend (HE for lyfe).

Best I could do so far is 119,000 and 90,000 for the two ships.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

I'm still having such trouble outfitting my Fubuki and the Fubuki captain. I have no idea which skills to choose and which modules to mount outside of the concealment, rudder, and propulsion mods. Any suggestions?

It may be unpopular, but with the T7+ IJN DDs I went with a gunship build instead of full concealment. Now obviously torpedoes are still your bread and butter, but by adding BFT, Expert Marksman, Survivability Expert to your captain after the usual DD skills (SA, Last Stand, Torpedo Expertise) and Main Battery Mod 1 and Gun Fire Control Mod 1 to your ship, you can finish off wounded enemies and even surprise US DDs at longer ranges. Makes you less one-dimensional. The Japanese DD guns may fire slowly, but they are pretty accurate, have a nice flat trajectory, and the HE hits surprisingly hard. It's not always easy to get pubbies to shoot at enemy DDs, but if you can knock a few thousand HP off a Benson then withdraw they may start to see blood in the water and actually try.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
does everyone already have their commemorative flag yet? Because if not, you might want to get in on it quickly.

+5% to xp, credits, and commander xp

As a reference, the alpha flag gave only xp and commander xp.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

JuffoWup posted:

does everyone already have their commemorative flag yet? Because if not, you might want to get in on it quickly.

What commemorative flag?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The reward for the monthly mission. It's worth getting for sure.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
First salvo out of a Molotov and I quad citadel a Koingsberg. I think I'm going to like this ship.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

hopterque posted:

What commemorative flag?

I think it's NA server only

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So I just got out of the Karlshruhe and into the Konigsberg, and I'm pretty sure my first game in the latter had me doing more damage than any game I've had in the former. Do the rest of the German cruisers play like the Konigsberg with it's stupid strong AP? I think I'm really feeling the line now that I'm past the 'array of single guns' design. (I do not like ships of that design philosophy)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So tired of loving retarded CV drivers who fly their squadrons right over one of their own side's DDs. Yes, let's attract any enemy fighters into that area, there's a good idea.

Just got out of a dual CV game where one of our CVs flew a fighter squadron right over me and, when two enemy fighter squadrons moved towards him, just left. I got spotted and they just squatted over me, with him making no attempt to interdict.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Rorac posted:

So I just got out of the Karlshruhe and into the Konigsberg, and I'm pretty sure my first game in the latter had me doing more damage than any game I've had in the former. Do the rest of the German cruisers play like the Konigsberg with it's stupid strong AP? I think I'm really feeling the line now that I'm past the 'array of single guns' design. (I do not like ships of that design philosophy)

Yes.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011
All except the Yorck, which uses older AP shells which have pretty terrible arcs over about 10km.

HE is pretty great on it, though.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Sometimes I really hate the Amagi. I had a Konigsberg 12km away with its broadside to me. I fired right into it, got 3-4 hits, and not one citadel. I think maybe 2500 damage total. The Molotov, however, is a thing of beauty. I think my record is 4 citadels in a single salvo. It eats poorly armored cruisers alive.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MoraleHazard posted:

Ah, ok. Makes sense. Though why are there no clans yet? Because we seriously need something as clever as PANSY: Heer as Volk. I laughed for 20 minutes the first time I saw that.

Wait. Stop. You don't think an LGBT clan named SEAMN: Eat my hot load is clever?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

demonR6 posted:

Wait. Stop. You don't think an LGBT clan named SEAMN: Eat my hot load is clever?

-1 for not thinking of including the word 'poop deck' somewhere.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

-1 for not thinking of including the word 'poop deck' somewhere.

You sir never visited the recruiting thread and saw the flyer before WG shut that down.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JuffoWup posted:

I saw this post and decided to finally jump back in cause gently caress it, might as well get this flag. Decided to have my very first go in many months is my Pensacola

I uh, chose poorly I think :saddowns:

Now I have to accomplish the herculean task of killing 10 enemy ships, which is a lot harder than it sounds when you're turbo trash

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

I saw this post and decided to finally jump back in cause gently caress it, might as well get this flag. Decided to have my very first go in many months is my Pensacola

I uh, chose poorly I think :saddowns:

Now I have to accomplish the herculean task of killing 10 enemy ships, which is a lot harder than it sounds when you're turbo trash

Do you have a destroyer? Even (especially) a low-tier one?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

wdarkk posted:

Do you have a destroyer? Even (especially) a low-tier one?
Yeah I've got a Clemson (which I haven't had very much luck in, even though I really loved it back in CBT) and a Sims. I used the 9.2km range torps on the Sims to get the second phase of the mission done. I assume I should be using those anyway? Been trying to stealth torp with it but I've never really been one for stealth torping, since most of my DD torping back when I played was in DDs with low torp range so it was the ambush and rush for me. Also should I get the torpedo acceleration skill for my Sims captain? It'd knock my torp range down to the same as my detection range, but the long range torps are real slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

First salvo out of a Molotov and I quad citadel a Koingsberg. I think I'm going to like this ship.

It can be hard to get citadels in the Molotov because the arcs are so flat you have to retrain where you aim vertically.