Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

quote:

Eric Arnold was zich bewust van de gevaren die de klim naar de top van Mount Everest met zich meebracht. "Dat is geen doodsverlangen, maar wel een soort levensdrift", zei hij eind februari in het radioprogramma De Nieuws BV op NPO Radio 1. "Voor mij ligt dat in de bergen. En blijkbaar iets dichter naar de rand van het leven toe, wordt voor mij het leven ook steeds mooier.”
De alpinist noemde het gevaar bij het bergbeklimmen "het peper en zout wat het op smaak brengt”. "Gevaren zoek je op door de Mount Everest te beklimmen, dat kan ik niet ontkennen.”
Translation mine:
Eric Arnold knew the dangers that came with climbing Mt Everest. "It's no deathwish, but a need to really live" he said. "For me that's in the mountains. And apparently, more toward the edge of life, life becomes more beautiful for me as well" The mountaineer called the danger that's involved in climbing "The salt and pepper that spice it up". "I'm facing danger by climbing Mt Everest, I can't deny that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rojkir posted:

Translation mine:
Eric Arnold knew the dangers that came with climbing Mt Everest. "It's no deathwish, but a need to really live" he said. "For me that's in the mountains. And apparently, more toward the edge of life, life becomes more beautiful for me as well" The mountaineer called the danger that's involved in climbing "The salt and pepper that spice it up". "I'm facing danger by climbing Mt Everest, I can't deny that."

If salt and pepper=adequate metaphor for spicing up your life, you might be Dutch. Alas, I've had their food.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Ding ding ding! We got another one!
:toot:

That brings our total of assholes to 2 dead and 1 sherpa.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Microwaves Mom posted:

Ding ding ding! We got another one!
:toot:

That brings our total of assholes to 2 dead and 1 sherpa.

Professional climbers are semi-assholes at best IMO

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Paramemetic posted:

Professional climbers are semi-assholes at best IMO

IDK he was livin on the edge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Can't literally go to sleep without the mountain killing you.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
That irritating Australian girl summited yesterday:
http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/aussie-teen-poised-to-crack-everest-record-20160520-gp0fgy.html

Though she hasn't made it down yet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Can't literally go to sleep without the mountain killing you.

Yeah that's the other greet side of effect of high altitudes.

Even being really fit doesn't protect you from things like HAPE/HACE.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

simplefish posted:

Backpacks of USB sticks

The bandwidth is awesome, the latency not so much.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait so was it hypothermia or what

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait so was it hypothermia or what

Maybe it was murder.

If it was, no one will ever know.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Turns out if you try long enough Everest will kill you.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dutch news is reporting it's altitude sickness, he died at 8300m after summiting yesterday.

Another Dutch guy was in his team, who happens to be The First Man With Multiple Sclerosis To Summit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I didn't know altitude sickness itself could kill. Thought it was hypoxia or something

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Maybe it was murder.

If it was, no one will ever know.
Goood
good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

I didn't know altitude sickness itself could kill. Thought it was hypoxia or something

Isn't that what HAPE is? A couple people died of it before the summiting started (they should totally count).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

No because the count would be 4 and I'm in for 3

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't that what HAPE is? A couple people died of it before the summiting started (they should totally count).

if they're not on the mountain they dont get counted.

I'm in for 5 too so.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

simplefish posted:

Just split the Deathfest count

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Wrong way around. Count the sherpas as people and the rich idiots who want to die hiking as something else.

Also don't count sherpa deaths at all, that's awful, those are human beings doing their job and their death is a tragedy.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

No counting Sherpas. They're dying because it is one of the only chances they have at financial security for them and their families. Their deaths are sad.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what about "deaths" and "tragedies"

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Deaths being sad doesn't mean they should be excluded from the total. But the Sherpas are the ones that should be labeled as people, not the other way around.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Adix posted:

what about "deaths" and "tragedies"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I vote that we don't count Sherpas. Things are awful enough for them as it is.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Alan Smithee posted:

While HAPE is still a bit mysterious, HACE: is literally altitude sickness so bad your brain swells and cripples you and then kills you.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Guys you're doing it all wrong. Don't focus on rear end in a top hat tourist deaths. Focus on feeding the mountain.

Sherpa deaths are unfortunate, but they should count. The mountain hungers for sacrifices. All sacrifices count.

I think base camp deaths also count. That's how one of the last year's deaths were so high... that avalanche ripping through the place. Base of the mountain is still a part of the mountain, after all, right?

Base camp, khumbu, Sherpa, ascending or returning, they're all sacrifices to the mountain.

E: oh god I am a terrible person.

RKRGoat
Jun 20, 2003

4th Death: Dr Maria Elizabeth Strydom with Seven Summits Treks (Arnold Costner) dies at South Col. source

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Are you going to change your name to Zika Babies of Rio?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Huh, you'd think a doctor would know enough to avoid huge mountains.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Wtf, this is exactly why we should count sherpas, because the assholes don't count them as worthy and they deserve to be recognised for the dangerous work they do

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Poo, I forgot about this thread until a friend asked me what my number for the death pool was today. So much for back to back wins.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

RKRGoat posted:

4th Death: Dr Maria Elizabeth Strydom with Seven Summits Treks (Arnold Costner) dies at South Col. source

That's the second death for seven summits. Did they gently caress up their timing? Did the first death cause another one?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
How are the soylent guys doing? I'm hoping they all got wiped out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Microwaves Mom posted:

How are the soylent guys doing? I'm hoping they all got wiped out.

If ever there was a year we needed a mountain serial killer (besides the mountain itself).

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Mega64 posted:

If ever there was a year we needed a mountain serial killer (besides the mountain itself).

:yeah:

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Eugenically speaking, the indigenous Nepalis can never be considered truely equal to the brawny European.

However, through their cooperation, both in supporting western summit attempts, as well as their resistance to the nefarious CCP; they have proven their place in the lower echelons of civilized society. Therefore, their deaths shall not be in vein, as they can in fact be tallied under the 'people' category

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
In good non-death related news, the Sherpa woman who works as a housekeeper in CT has summited a 7th time.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-connecticut-women-climbs-everest-20160520-story.html

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Skeesix posted:

In good non-death related news, the Sherpa woman who works as a housekeeper in CT has summited a 7th time.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-connecticut-women-climbs-everest-20160520-story.html

Everest rewards the worthy, all praise to Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

HAPE is when the lung started getting damaged by high altitude leading to problems such as popcorn lung.

HACE is even less well understood, for example why some people get it really bad but others don't