Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I will never understand why people ruin cards by having them signed or written on. And for the record, the only person that should sign a card is the designer. Not the artist and never a player. I would never have the dude that took Kobe's picture sign one of his cards.

I'm going to get my Russian foil Mindslaver signed by Rich Shay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

I'm going to get my Russian foil Mindslaver signed by Rich Shay.
If you like the art/the artist, go support the actual work of the artist, and buy a print and get that signed. not ruin anymore cards in the 2nd market and keep your custom pieces

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

legoman727 posted:

Woo. First Goyf opened in my full Time Spiral Draft.

Lucky, all I got was 7th and 8th pick Foresees and no Sprout Swarms.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Lucky, all I got was 7th and 8th pick Foresees and no Sprout Swarms.

I love Foresee's art but it also makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

I love Foresee's art but it also makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

It gives me a headache. I actually skipped it in pauper and commander because I can't look at the art.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

It gives me a headache. I actually skipped it in pauper and commander because I can't look at the art.

It's not really playable behind stuff like Deep Analysis and Mulldrifter in Pauper anyway, though, right? I've been having a ton of fun with Pauper Delver Angler, though, so maybe I'll give it a try.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The more I draft this set the more I'm starting to realize that building a good R/G deck with simply big creatures pays off too well.
Better decks can be built if the synergy is there, such as building G/B Clues or R/B vampires, but it requires such precise cards to work.
R/G just has such amazing stand alone semi-fatties like solitary hunter, and the arsonists. If they flip even better.
Not to mention that red packs good removal, and rabid bite is amazing as well.

Also Goldnight Castigator is bomb in limited if your deck is fast. I was thinking about side-boarding it, but every game it came down I was already pushing hard and it closed it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

If you like the art/the artist, go support the actual work of the artist, and buy a print and get that signed. not ruin anymore cards in the 2nd market and keep your custom pieces

If you want a laugh that borders on crying, look up the prices for signed cards by Christopher Rush

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I write my name, phone number, and home address on all my cards in case I lose them.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Chill la Chill posted:

I will never understand why people ruin cards by having them signed or written on. And for the record, the only person that should sign a card is the designer. Not the artist and never a player. I would never have the dude that took Kobe's picture sign one of his cards.

I'm going to get my cards signed by Tarmogoyf.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's not really playable behind stuff like Deep Analysis and Mulldrifter in Pauper anyway, though, right? I've been having a ton of fun with Pauper Delver Angler, though, so maybe I'll give it a try.

It saw play in whatever the Temporal Fissure/Familiars storm deck was called.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

just rust posted:

I write my name, phone number, and home address on all my cards in case I lose them.

You kid, but I've seen similar. Had a long unpleasant car ride with a woman who claimed to be a "world expert tier magic player." Who happened to have her old deck on her. It was an old, unsleeved monoblue deck. With a slip of paper scotch taped to the back of every card with her name on it.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

PJOmega posted:

You kid, but I've seen similar. Had a long unpleasant car ride with a woman who claimed to be a "world expert tier magic player." Who happened to have her old deck on her. It was an old, unsleeved monoblue deck. With a slip of paper scotch taped to the back of every card with her name on it.

Every scotch tape label better be identical or I will summon the judge so quickly on this world tier expert magician!

Applebees posted:

I'm going to get my cards signed by Tarmogoyf.

I got my rookie Alpha Fireball signed but now it's in a "Damaged" condition!!!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

I sign every card in my deck

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

rabidsquid posted:

I sign every card in my deck

I like to sign cards in my opponents deck while they are side boarding.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

PleasantDirge posted:

I like to sign cards in my opponents deck while they are side boarding.

That's an easy way to get your opponent disqualified for marked cards, but I'm too skilled to resort to that tactic these days

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PJOmega posted:

Do you have more stories about this person? They sound amazing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

if you ignore the part about ruining the second market, i agree unironically with this post

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I paid Eric Deschamps to alter my Gideon yesterday. Complaining about the secondary market is kinda dumb.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PJOmega posted:

I love these type of people; they always have the most hilariously dumb made up stories about being a "pro". :allears:

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Eela6 posted:

Learning to program a LIFO stack is lush easier if you've played a lot of magic since you were a kid :)

Same but the other way around.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

The more I draft this set the more I'm starting to realize that building a good R/G deck with simply big creatures pays off too well.
Better decks can be built if the synergy is there, such as building G/B Clues or R/B vampires, but it requires such precise cards to work.
R/G just has such amazing stand alone semi-fatties like solitary hunter, and the arsonists. If they flip even better.
Not to mention that red packs good removal, and rabid bite is amazing as well.

Also Goldnight Castigator is bomb in limited if your deck is fast. I was thinking about side-boarding it, but every game it came down I was already pushing hard and it closed it.

I often feel like this also. I hear a lot of stories about success with interesting synergy decks, but every time I play I find that these big creatures with 4+ toughness end up deciding games rather than how quickly you can reach delirium or how much value you get off of discard outlets.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Myriad Truths posted:

I often feel like this also. I hear a lot of stories about success with interesting synergy decks, but every time I play I find that these big creatures with 4+ toughness end up deciding games rather than how quickly you can reach delirium or how much value you get off of discard outlets.

Green and white probably have the most playable cards. Green being good both early and late, and white has good mid game stuff.
Blue in this set is sad unless you were handed the B/G clues deck to rule all decks, or if you were handed a million Catalogs and Pore Over Pages with madness cards.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Standard feel very solved at this point. Tokens is obviously the best deck.

I am glad to see the b/w control ended up as good as it is because it was the deck I was on from the beginning, but even with a heavy anti tokens sideboard the matchup can't get better than 50/50 against tokens games 2/3. Still lots of variety of decks compared to previous standards though.

Modern is loving awesome right now and I am glad.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

permanently lowering a cards cost without damaging it can only be seen as a good thing imo

the pony power is probably the cheapest set of power at that quality of card

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Standard feel very solved at this point. Tokens is obviously the best deck.

I am glad to see the b/w control ended up as good as it is because it was the deck I was on from the beginning, but even with a heavy anti tokens sideboard the matchup can't get better than 50/50 against tokens games 2/3. Still lots of variety of decks compared to previous standards though.

Modern is loving awesome right now and I am glad.

I think B/W can have the upper hand on Tokens if you dedicate more planeswalker hate, and run hallowed moonlight.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Woot about to start in my first GP, good luck to all that are playing today!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I think B/W can have the upper hand on Tokens if you dedicate more planeswalker hate, and run hallowed moonlight.

Well it is already maxed out on planeswalker hate. Ruinous path, duress, and unmaking are as good as it gets. Hallowed moonlight is pretty medium and is hard to justify the spot unless they are running secure the wastes.

The problem is game 1 b/w just isn't favored and 2/3 you aren't favored enough.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Well it is already maxed out on planeswalker hate. Ruinous path, duress, and unmaking are as good as it gets. Hallowed moonlight is pretty medium and is hard to justify the spot unless they are running secure the wastes.

The problem is game 1 b/w just isn't favored and 2/3 you aren't favored enough.

Hallowed moonlight stops their end of the secure the wastes, which they should be running. Stops hangerback tokens from being generated, and, if there isn't a better play, can stop a token from being generated by Gideon. Plus the card cycles itself, so even stopping a 2/2 from hitting isn't wasting a card.
If I was taking B/W to a major event I would maindeck 2 hallowed moonlights for everyone running either CoCo or Secure.

I also run the 4th anguished in my sideboard for planeswalker heavy decks, which is pretty much most of them besides 4c Rites.
I may also cut down from 3 Ob nix to 2 to add a 3rd ruinous path.

Are you running the planeswalker version or do you run creatures?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Hallowed moonlight stops their end of the secure the wastes, which they should be running. Stops hangerback tokens from being generated, and, if there isn't a better play, can stop a token from being generated by Gideon. Plus the card cycles itself, so even stopping a 2/2 from hitting isn't wasting a card.
If I was taking B/W to a major event I would maindeck 2 hallowed moonlights for everyone running either CoCo or Secure.

I also run the 4th anguished in my sideboard for planeswalker heavy decks, which is pretty much most of them besides 4c Rites.
I may also cut down from 3 Ob nix to 2 to add a 3rd ruinous path.

Are you running the planeswalker version or do you run creatures?

Hallowed moonlight maindeck is definitely a thing and is what I do. Its a toss up if it stays game 2 though. I also run 3 path maindeck and I do 3 ob / 2 sorin. I only run 3 unmaking in the 75. The plainswalker heavy version of b/w is without a doubt the way to go.

I am almost tempted to side out kalitas in the matchup. It never survives. Declaration in stone and purge just hit it too often. I feel like smasher needs to be in the 75 because its been amazing every time it is for me.

Plague is awful and don't run it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Hallowed moonlight maindeck is definitely a thing and is what I do. Its a toss up if it stays game 2 though. I also run 3 path maindeck and I do 3 ob / 2 sorin. I only run 3 unmaking in the 75. The plainswalker heavy version of b/w is without a doubt the way to go.

I am almost tempted to side out kalitas in the matchup. It never survives. Declaration in stone and purge just hit it too often. I feel like smasher needs to be in the 75 because its been amazing every time it is for me.

Plague is awful and don't run it.

When do you bring Smasher in? I'll admit, I have a hard time understanding when this deck should go more aggressive.
So you do 3 unmaking and path main deck. How many grasps and ultimate prices?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elblanco posted:

Do you have more stories about this person? They sound amazing.

No, not really. She was a friend of a friend's acquaintance. I got roped into driving the three of them to a Filk concert and by hour two of the drive out I seriously considered driving into the river because it would stop her from talking anymore.

The bullet points I remember...

She showed up to the house we met at an hour late. With a bag of wet clothing. Because the dryer at the laundromat was a ripoff. "They're charging for air it's so stupid." She proceeded to haphazardly hang them to dry in her bedroom.

She smelled of mildew and hadn't showered in two days. She was shocked when we said we'd wait while she hopped in the shower. At the hotel after the concert I told everyone to make sure they showered before we headed back. She was upset about having to shower again.

She never washed her hair. Or so much as wetted it. This was by her own admission, and she was proud of the fact.

She claimed to have a PHD in Marine Biology. While being unable to identify a mussel while at the beach. Also, she wore her shoes into the water, then got pissed when I had her bag then instead of climbing into my car with her feet basically covered in balls of mud.

Her and my friend's acquaintance we going to "make it big" once they showed their sketchbooks to "the comic book companies." The sketches looked straight out of a reasonably artistic 13 year old's notebook. One who'd never had any formal training and thought anime gave good lessons on bodily proportions. That would be fine, but they were both in their late 30s. They also had detailed back stories for every sketch. Which they shared, at length.

She left the hotel at 6 am so she could be at the Dairy Queen when it opened.

Honestly, there's more but I've simply buried the memories.

Oh and the papers scotch taped to the cards? Each tag was hand written.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A lot of background noise in this Channel Fireball stream.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

When do you bring Smasher in? I'll admit, I have a hard time understanding when this deck should go more aggressive.
So you do 3 unmaking and path main deck. How many grasps and ultimate prices?

I feel like smasher is a better creature against tokens and other control decks. I am using 3 grasps and 2 prices main deck. No stones main deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought Smasher wash just a tangle of appendages, but it actually has an identifiable face. A bit disappointed.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I've got a line on a box of Onslaught - anyone who drafted 3x ONS can you guys say how decent the draft format for this is?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rinkles posted:

I thought Smasher wash just a tangle of appendages, but it actually has an identifiable face. A bit disappointed.

I see three things that could reasonably defined as a face, so you'll have to get a little more specific.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jenx posted:

I've got a line on a box of Onslaught - anyone who drafted 3x ONS can you guys say how decent the draft format for this is?

Iirc it was passable but not great, might be interesting for how different it is from modern sets.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

ooo has some absurd bomb commons and doesn't really work unless you play with old damage on the stack rules. ool and ols were better, but again, the stack rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I see three things that could reasonably defined as a face, so you'll have to get a little more specific.

• Locked thread