Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The current Chiefs are not going to like it and will be dead in the water for further promotion.

Couldn't they just split the difference and make them warrants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Isn't this what DoD civilians with high GS numbers are for?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This will be the death of the chief's mess you mark my words all our traditions are DEAD DEAD DEAD if they do this!!!!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

LingcodKilla posted:

The current Chiefs are not going to like it and will be dead in the water for further promotion.

Couldn't they just split the difference and make them warrants?

Dammit, you beat me on this by a couple minutes. Yeah, it'd be a much better fit. There are less than 2,000 warrants vs. an entrenched community of probably around 27,000 chiefs. LDO might work too, because legally it's a much more temporary status than warrant or standard commissioned officer.

Stultus Maximus posted:

At the very least you could make a non-traditional E-7/O-6 do their jobs or fire them. There's no recourse against a GS, they can simply refuse to do something as long as they're not interested in promotion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
its not like these guys will ever step foot on a ship who the gently caress cares?

band nerds can start as high as E6 or maybe even E7. I've seen a doctor come in as an O-6.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'd be slightly pissed if they hired someone with my credentials off the street as an E7 without giving people in the organization with the correct credentials a shot at the spot first.

Namely, me. Gimme the cash man.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Like Grover?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

This will be the death of the chief's mess you mark my words all our traditions are DEAD DEAD DEAD if they do this!!!!

I didn't realize we were just in the same Mess Meeting. I was the guy near the end of the table trying not to have my eyes roll out of my head.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
If I could come back in and start at chief I would do it.... NOT hahhaahahahaha being a civilian owns

Edit: today is the 10 year anniversary of when my dumbass got on the bus for boot.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Joining the Navy was the most useful mistake I've ever made!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If I could come back in and start at chief I would do it.... NOT hahhaahahahaha being a civilian owns

Edit: today is the 10 year anniversary of when my dumbass got on the bus for boot.

Today is the 3 year anniversary of me being a free man.

September will be my 10 year boot anniversary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

this GI bill is dope tho I gotta say

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

this GI bill is dope tho I gotta say

Hurry up and use it before Trump carries through with his plans.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

and what are those

I thought most his Mil/vet support (well besides the being racist part) was cause he was all about taking care of vets etc

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

and what are those

I thought most his Mil/vet support (well besides the being racist part) was cause he was all about taking care of vets etc

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-soltz/donald-trump-doesnt-know_b_9872222.html

quote:

CHRIS CUOMO: Is that a yes, “I do support the current GI bill?”

DONALD TRUMP: No. I want to bring jobs back to our country and make the country grow again. I just traveled. I won so many states in a row in massive landslides and part of the reason was trade. Not what you brought up at the beginning of the show, totally inappropriate. Part of the reason I won was because of trade and I talk trade and I’m the only one that can do anything about trade.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I don't see anything happening

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah because Congress totally hasn't been looking at ways to cut the GI Bill in recent months.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Nice! posted:

Today is the 3 year anniversary of me being a free man.

September will be my 10 year boot anniversary.

September will be the threshold where I will be out longer than I was in. Super excited about that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I know we all read Duffelblog anyway but this one http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/05/captain-america-moved-to-staff-position/
made me completely lose it right around here:

quote:

When America asked for an exception, Fury said that it’s in America’s best interest to do staff time if he wants to ever become Lt. Col. America.
“He submitted very weak bullets for his last OER, such as ‘thwarted alien invasion’ and ‘destroyed evil robots,’” Fury said. “Come on, America, we need quantity. How many aliens did you thwart? How will this affect unit readiness? Did you update your training calendars?”
“He’ll figure that stuff out at battalion.”

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

hogmartin posted:

Poopkitty, what's the stereotype for female Chiefs? I've met like two ever and one was a NCCS.

We're all gay. At least a little. Also we're all angry. Most of us are gay, unmarried and angry. Or divorced angry single moms who are in denial about being gay. I'm married to a guy though, and have been for 19 years. Most folks think I'm a lesbian, and I'm probably a little. I run with it.

Also, I'm in TPU outprocessing. I drove by a LOT of little weed shops today. 7 days til DD214.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:420::hf::2bong:

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know we all read Duffelblog anyway but this one http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/05/captain-america-moved-to-staff-position/
made me completely lose it right around here:

Hadn't seen it yet. Solid gold.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woo done with squadron life forever, went back to CTF-72 and now I work 0800 to 1500, this poo poo is the high life compared to what I had before.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
http://www.duffelblog.com/2016/05/m...es%20the%20Navy

:perfect:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

I'd print this out and hang it in my cube, but somebody might file another grievance against me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm thinking about printing it off and hanging it in our AF officer's cube.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Carl Vinson got a loving carrier. Scoop Jackson got a submarine. Not exactly unprecedented.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Subs got city names wholly due to political reasons. Before the LA class they were always fish names.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ded posted:

Subs got city names wholly due to political reasons. Before the LA class they were always fish names.

Landlocked cities!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ded posted:

Seawolf is the best sub name.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Crossing my fingers for the first Tinkerbell-class super carriers.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seawolf is the best sub name.

I always liked the Thresher aside from the being lost as sea with all hands thing

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I always liked the Thresher aside from the being lost as sea with all hands thing

I giggle about Flasher, Plunger, Snapper, and Wahoo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wahoos are actually pretty viscous fish. Who green lighted "plunger"? Poor crew.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Scorpion is also a great name with a similar problem.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I giggle about Flasher, Plunger, Snapper, and Wahoo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Buttercup_(K193)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Cockchafer_(1915)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Viking

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Blimey.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

...the fifth Royal Navy ship to carry this name

Amazing

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

wikipedia posted:

The objective of Operation Bridford was to bring back to Britain quantities of ball bearings manufactured by Sweden's SKF. To do this, the vessels would have to reach Sweden by evading the German blockade of the Skagerrak. Once there, the vessels would load the ball bearings and return to Britain

HMS Gay Viking literally hauled balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Our stellar admin department just accidentally sent scans of someone's Page 2 to the base-wide "all hands" email list. Words fail me.

• Locked thread