Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fil5000 posted:

The fact that Brosnan was talking it up as being a real character piece for Bond makes it all even worse. Poor guy, he got the same number of good films as Dalton but he did twice as many.

It's a shame, because the concept of the intro where Bond is a POW would be great for an actual low-key character piece a la From Russia With Love instead of the nonsense we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

oldpainless posted:

In Die Another Day Halle Berry stares at pierce brosnans dick for like 10 seconds and then says "that's a mouthful" and it's just really really bad.

Rolo posted:

Oh come on this did not happen.
I didn't believe it either until I actually looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml75GSIY8mw&t=123s
2:03 in.

To be fair it's only about 3 seconds and I just thought she was looking down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Bicyclist posted:

I didn't believe it either until I actually looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml75GSIY8mw&t=123s
2:03 in.

To be fair it's only about 3 seconds and I just thought she was looking down.

Also everyone knows Bond has a 9mm pee-pee, 'kay?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jedit posted:

Also everyone knows Bond has a 9mm pee-pee, 'kay?

:vince:

Brosnan really got the shittiest scripts. Goldeneye was fantastic, everything else was a pile of turds.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

All of you people are wrong. Objectively wrong.

The stupid one liners and cheesiness are the best part of Bond films.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmao if you think the Brosanan years are comparable to the older films

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The classic Bond films are rapey as gently caress.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That's why I don't watch them

Except the good ones.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Also racist

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I am pretty sure he straight up rapes the woman in Goldfinger, but she likes it afterwards or something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Also I never learned what an oddjob was and the local massage place won't give me a price on it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rolo posted:

I am pretty sure he straight up rapes the woman in Goldfinger, but she likes it afterwards or something.

Uh she has a name. Please don't treat her as some impersonal object.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The old bonds are very much a product of their time wrt to racism, sexism, and a variety of unpleasantness. The books just plain hated women though, Ian Fleming was a weird dude. I like the old films a lot though despite their problems. The Brosnan ones were a bad attempt at what the Craig era nailed even though Pearse owned.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I love that one part where it's like "you need to become Japanese, become a ninja, and get married". Said in an order like that which implies it's going from easiest to hardest to do.

Also, Moore Bond best Bond. Those movies were fuckin cartoons and it owned. I really wish Ewan McGregor would get cast as a Moore-style Bond for awhile.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

EmmyOk posted:

The old bonds are very much a product of their time wrt to racism, sexism, and a variety of unpleasantness. The books just plain hated women though, Ian Fleming was a weird dude. I like the old films a lot though despite their problems. The Brosnan ones were a bad attempt at what the Craig era nailed even though Pearse owned.

The Matador made up for Bronson's last couple Bonds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

I love that one part where it's like "you need to become Japanese, become a ninja, and get married". Said in an order like that which implies it's going from easiest to hardest to do.

Also, Moore Bond best Bond. Those movies were fuckin cartoons and it owned. I really wish Ewan McGregor would get cast as a Moore-style Bond for awhile.

I'll defend most of the old Bond stuff as "of its time" but Jesus Christ when they decided to turn Bond Japanese for basically no reason I sat there in disbelief. Most of 'You Only Live Twice' owned though.

Kramdar posted:

The Matador made up for Bronson's last couple Bonds.

Hell yeah it does!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did Bond's Japanese disguise actually accomplish anything in the movie, or was it just pointless padding? I can't remember.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He does kind of use it to sneak in but it's just pointless padding really.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Light Gun Man posted:

Moore had live and let die aka the most racist and rapey bond.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You Only Live Twice was written by Roald Dahl, he was a dude with a lot of issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Japanese disguise was part of the original novel and IIRC it wasn't really that important to the story there either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pre:
EXT. HOTEL. SWIMMING POOL

BOND
	(raping)
	My name is Bond,
	James Bond.

Q
	(via radio)
	Sir, I think--

BOND
	Not now, Q! I'm
	raping!

oval office
	(being raped)
	Oh my, Bond! I do
	declare!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Did Bond's Japanese disguise actually accomplish anything in the movie, or was it just pointless padding? I can't remember.

Presumably its another layer of racism, where he could not become a ninja or marry a Japanese woman without first becoming a Japanese man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Masterful

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this really counts, but having recently seen a play version of Little Shop of Horrors, I'm realizing the only thing that I like about the movie (86 one, for the record) more than the play is the animatronics of Audrey II.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I saw Little Shop on broadway, and the animatronics were loving incredible. During the final number the plant's tentacles grabbed onto the edge of the stage, pulled itself forward and towered over the audience, snapping its jaws above the heads of people as far back as the fourth row. Un-be-loving-lievable.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

bobkatt013 posted:

Moore had live and let die aka the most racist and rapey bond.

Thunderball is the rapiest Bond, without question. In Live and Let Die he tricks a woman into sleeping with him with a loaded deck of cards. in Thunderball he threatens to get a woman in trouble over something she didn't do unless she lets him gently caress her in a sauna.

ITT we discuss which Bond is objectively the worst human being.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Let's just widen the net to the 70-80s in general :) Just watched the first ep of Hill Street Blues. Two of the cops come to a domestic dispute where the mother is pissed her boyfriend has been raping her 15 year old daughter. The solution? Dude you are going to stop loving this child, girl you are going to lock the doors when you undress and ma'm you are going to start loving your boyfriend more. Problem solved; 80s style.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fil5000 posted:

In Live and Let Die he tricks a woman into sleeping with him with a loaded deck of cards.

A young Jane Seymour, I learned not too long ago.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Indeed. That scene and the awful hillbilly sheriff aside, Live and Let Die is a fun ride. At least Moore isn't sleepwalking through it like Connery was in his last few.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh yeah, there's a loving irritating moment - that redneck hillbilly sherrif they thought was so goddamn funny, they brought him back for another movie.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh yeah, there's a loving irritating moment - that redneck hillbilly sherrif they thought was so goddamn funny, they brought him back for another movie.

SE-CRIT AY-GENT?

OHN WHOOOOSE SAAAHD?!

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
What about Daniel Craig in Skyfall where he meets a women once, the only thing we learn about her is that she is a terrified sex slave, and then in the next scene he just straight up appears as she's getting in the shower and grabs her from behind, naked and we are to assume fully erect, and goes "MMM I LIKE YOU BETTER WITHOUT YOUR GUN".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Did Brosnan have any rapey moments? I'm pretty sure Dalton didn't. Unless you count him tearing off a woman's blouse to use her boobs as a distraction for some guards.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Anos posted:

Let's just widen the net to the 70-80s in general :) Just watched the first ep of Hill Street Blues. Two of the cops come to a domestic dispute where the mother is pissed her boyfriend has been raping her 15 year old daughter. The solution? Dude you are going to stop loving this child, girl you are going to lock the doors when you undress and ma'm you are going to start loving your boyfriend more. Problem solved; 80s style.
The past is another, much worse, country.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Did Brosnan have any rapey moments? I'm pretty sure Dalton didn't. Unless you count him tearing off a woman's blouse to use her boobs as a distraction for some guards.

I seem to recall things get rapey between him and Teri Hatcher in Tomorrow Never Dies. Then she gets killed. Off-screen. And Bond is upset about it for like three seconds. drat those Bond films really know how to write for female roles!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was gifted a box set of all the Bond films and just watched 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' and Lazenby is a pretty good Bond but the film is just not very good. My IIM is how often they throw him I a jail cell or often just a room instead of killing him. I know it's a staple of these films but it's just so dumb every single time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: This is no Time to be Rescued

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Man, golden age hollywood did not like letting actual asians play roles huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nowadays they're so much more enlightened. They just don't have Asians at all unless they're inscrutable, computer nerds, organised crime, martial artists or sex objects.

In Australia, we have a government run TV channel, SBS, for international and non-English programming which has a tonne of cool stuff. But there's a running joke in the industry where an Asian person says to someone, "I work for SBS," and the other person replies, "Oh, what cooking show are you on?"

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:43 on May 22, 2016