Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I just found out that Mizutani Yuuko, the voice of Sarah Zabiarov in Zeta (and Excellen Browning in SRW) passed away last Tuesday from cancer at 51. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ka0 posted:

I just found out that Mizutani Yuuko, the voice of Sarah Zabiarov in Zeta (and Excellen Browning in SRW) passed away last Tuesday from cancer at 51. drat.
She was also Carris in Gundam X.

We're all pretty bummed about it in the SRW thread. gently caress cancer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find it ridiculous how Kou rationalizes helping rebuild a Zeon Mobile Armor because he feels pity for a bitter man who had to stop being a pilot. Yeah, great rationale for building a weapon that could potentially slaughter thousands.

My headcanon for this is that Kou, being an idiot, didn't realize what he was helping Kelly rebuild because Kelly kept fobbing him off with the excuse that it was actually just a really big sports car.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ka0 posted:

Well that quite frankly sucks.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

My headcanon for this is that Kou, being an idiot, didn't realize what he was helping Kelly rebuild because Kelly kept fobbing him off with the excuse that it was actually just a really big sports car.

its hard to see, but there are actually two sacks of human waste in this screen shot

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've always wanted to know what Amuro or Char would have thought about all the dumb things Kou did.

Did the Super Robot Wars games ever cover that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've always wanted to know what Amuro or Char would have thought about all the dumb things Kou did.

There's never been a SRW game with 0083 where 0083 wasn't also included alongside other UC entries, so typically the events of 0083 occur with other Gundam and other mecha show characters present during the actual events of 0083 and events are substantially altered.

Like it's hard to get mad at Kou for letting them jack the GP02 when Gato was backed up by Char and some super robot villains also happened to show up or whatever. Most of the time the Gundam cast is focused on being completely flabbergasted that they built a loving nuke-launching Gundam.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So Kou as a character in those spin off games is actually improved?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

He has a better excuse for being a dumbass. Whether that counts as an improvement is up to each to decide for himself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

If there was ever a series that featured Char and Amuro with Kou in it, he'd be one of those pilots who got a two second scene of screaming before exploding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm also kinda curious what Chris would have thought. Since, you know. She was probably the top Feddie test pilot in the OYW, and generally not a total idiot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

It varies heavily from entry to entry in the franchise. Kou is usually a mediocre pilot who is mechanically inferior to every newtype pilot and generally loses his seat to any given extra Newtype you happen to have hanging around, and the 0083 plot literally always takes place alongside other major Gundam events in SRW so Kou never really grabs the spotlight plot-wise. He's a friendly enough background character in the games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Keeping Kou in the background might be the safest thing to do yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I finished 0083. It's not terrible, just severely flawed. I freely admit those last three episodes are an absolute mess. But I loved the ending's black humor. Bask Om giving a speech about forming the Titans and making a bright future for mankind while uplifting music plays was a nice touch. Monsha is the perfect candidate for the Titan ranks.

But the plot just took a bizarre nosedive. The Axis Zeon fleet just waited around and did nothing. I figured they were waiting to see if Delaz could pull it off before engaging, but then the Luna fleet contacts them and tells them to piss off as per an agreement? Was that part of Cima's plan as well? And while we're at it, Cima's plot was out of left field. Now I know from looking it up that she held a grudge against the higher ups in Zeon for lying to her about the gas attacks she took part in, but that is never mentioned in the show, so it just seems like she double crosses Delaz for shits and giggles.

And then there is Nina and Gato and Kou. So first, Nina shoots at Kou and locks him in the control room, but then the next scene Kou made it back to unit 3 without trouble and escaped. And then he fights with Gato, and both mobile armors take a 25% shot from a solar array without barely a scratch. Nevermind Nina going to the axis fleet and then jumping back to earth. Everyone's motivations made no drat sense by the end of it all. And they all seemed pretty chipper despite the American midwest being annihilated and the whole planet facing imminent starvation.

So it isn't terrible, but the leads are weak, the plot ends poorly like 08th MS Team, and I ended up more confused than anything else. But it's a far cry from AGE.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of want to see an SRW where post-0083 Kou just says "gently caress it" and joins the Titans. Have him be an enemy ace during the Zeta plotline or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like it if Cima could be saved, like in the Gihren's Greed games.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Gundam The Origin's animated adaptation will continue past the fourth episode with a new arc about the Battle of Loum in 2017.

It's all great material and Sunrise would be mad to not keep making easy money out of this, so I am certainly not complaining.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Some of the voices like Kudelia's and Fumitan's are okay, McGillis' voice isn't quite deep enough but he's otherwise fine. Johnny Young Bosch is just waaaay off for Orga though. His voice comes off too casual when it should be more firm and authorative. The question he asks in that clip comes off as a general question instead of "You know exactly who you're tossing us out against, don't you, you fuckers? :argh:"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the plot just took a bizarre nosedive. The Axis Zeon fleet just waited around and did nothing. I figured they were waiting to see if Delaz could pull it off before engaging, but then the Luna fleet contacts them and tells them to piss off as per an agreement? Was that part of Cima's plan as well? And while we're at it, Cima's plot was out of left field. Now I know from looking it up that she held a grudge against the higher ups in Zeon for lying to her about the gas attacks she took part in, but that is never mentioned in the show, so it just seems like she double crosses Delaz for shits and giggles.

Cima has a whole bunch of backstory that comes from an audio drama and is required for understanding her actions in 0083. In short: she and her unit were ordered to pacify a colony cylinder with gas, weren't told what the gas was, and assumed it would be some kind of less than lethal gas; instead, it was nerve gas. Then, Gihren Zabi used her home colony as the colony laser, and after the OYW, her commanding officer used her as a scapegoat for a bunch of warcrimes he'd ordered, which meant she wasn't allowed to take refuge on Axis, and instead her and her men were forced to become a pirate fleet operating in Federation space. The end result is that Cima turned anti-Zeon after the OYW ended, which is why she meets up with Admiral Wyatt on the Birmingham in episode 8 to negotiate changing sides. Part of that agreement was that she wouldn't interfere on Zeon's side in the big anti-Delaz operation at the end of the show.

As for them being chipper, it's UC, everyone's seen way worse than "Zeon dropped an empty colony in the middle of nowhere in North America with zero direct casualties," that's going to be a win in a lot of people's books.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 21, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

in an unsurprising move, they've greenlit more Origin films.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just watched the first few Origin films, made me fall for Ramba Ral all over again.

I just got Gunpla Breaker for PS4. I'd just like to confirm again, if I play on my normal account, will I be able to use DLC from another account, ie the HK one I make for the purpose?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pleased more origin arcs are being adapted. Early one year war stories are rare compared to the glut of content from the last three months

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just watched the first few Origin films, made me fall for Ramba Ral all over again.

I just got Gunpla Breaker for PS4. I'd just like to confirm again, if I play on my normal account, will I be able to use DLC from another account, ie the HK one I make for the purpose?

Who doesn't love Ramba Ral?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

No. You will get software updates but anything that is a download code or that you pay real money for will need to be played on an account in the same region as the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah. There's free Barbados DLC until the end of the month, but it only shows up when I'm playing on my Asian account.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll also say that the last stand of the delaz fleet was pretty memorable. Not exactly sympathy I felt, since these were the hardliners zeon fanatics with all that entails, but they still managed to humanize them in a way I appreciated. Fanatical, terrible even, but still relatable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I might just be behind on things but apparently episode 3 of The Origin has dropped.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone have that youtube video parodying the Gundam Intro, where Bright holds a burger up to the sky?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm guessing you mean this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_lDST4Q84

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's the one. Cracks me up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wielder posted:

Gundam The Origin's animated adaptation will continue past the fourth episode with a new arc about the Battle of Loum in 2017.

It's all great material and Sunrise would be mad to not keep making easy money out of this, so I am certainly not complaining.

That's not a huge surprise since that's where the manga goes too. I honestly assumed it was going to keep going because why wouldn't it?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I might just be behind on things but apparently episode 3 of The Origin has dropped.

It did. While I think it is a bit eyerolling how people recoil just from making eye contact with Char, it does a drat good job of painting him as a complete bastard. At times it feels like Garma is the main character and Char is just the antagonist playing him like a fiddle.

Really, really looking forward to the Battle of Loum episode(s).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If only the manga weren't so expensive.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

It did. While I think it is a bit eyerolling how people recoil just from making eye contact with Char, it does a drat good job of painting him as a complete bastard. At times it feels like Garma is the main character and Char is just the antagonist playing him like a fiddle.

Really, really looking forward to the Battle of Loum episode(s).
It was a bit silly, but I still liked it. It kind of reminded me of like, I dunno, terrible Harry Potter fanfiction or something like that where Harry is written as a complete badass that tells off the mean professors and everyone loves him etc., though with a bit more self-awareness since this episode paints Char in an obviously negative light.

Kind of makes the idea that a cult of personality could eventually develop around Char a little more believable to me too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

If only the manga weren't so expensive.

The translation/speech bubble layout isn't the best, but it's worth it for the art and how nice the hardbacks look.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The translation/speech bubble layout isn't the best, but it's worth it for the art and how nice the hardbacks look.

Is this where I mention the art was done with no guidelines?

Because, wow. Yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did this new episode have anything as hilarious as kirk thorntons ridiculously overblown narration of the preview trailers for the origin?
"The next chapter in the CONTROVERSIAL re-imagining of mobile suit Gundam!"
I'm like, dude, as far as scandals go, this is about as controversial as Gundam seed being a bit poo poo as retellings go.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

That's not a huge surprise since that's where the manga goes too. I honestly assumed it was going to keep going because why wouldn't it?

Doing it in chronological order is better anyway, otherwise it'd wind up like the manga where it just slams the breaks at Jaburo for a four-volume flashback halfway through the story. It's well-told and all, just should've been at the start from the get-go or maybe it's own prequel thing.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's the one. Cracks me up.

I contributed to that. Its not as cool as the G Gundam one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doing it in chronological order is better anyway, otherwise it'd wind up like the manga where it just slams the breaks at Jaburo for a four-volume flashback halfway through the story. It's well-told and all, just should've been at the start from the get-go or maybe it's own prequel thing.
It probably should have just run parallel to the main story in some fashion (Like Lost or something), instead just being plopped in the middle awkwardly.