Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Oh come on, this trailer shows that we're getting a movie that fits in with the general idea of your average Star Trek episode! At least it's not 70 year old Patrick Stewart pretending he's Bruce Willis for all the action, plus we might get some good character moments (Spock and Bones!) and obvious allegory as we came to expect from the 1960s series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
I'm an unashamed fan of all things Trek who really enjoyed the JJ movies thus far. Yes, even Into Darkness.

Beyond definitely looks and feels like a Classic Trek movie--in a good way.

I'll admit I'll be loving bored if they destroy the Enterprise only to replace it with a "prime" Enterprise (A) at the end, though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
But how will the cast of the new Star Trek on CBS figure in?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Great_Gerbil posted:

I'm an unashamed fan of all things Trek who really enjoyed the JJ movies thus far. Yes, even Into Darkness.

Beyond definitely looks and feels like a Classic Trek movie--in a good way.

I'll admit I'll be loving bored if they destroy the Enterprise only to replace it with a "prime" Enterprise (A) at the end, though.

Wasn't there an episode where the ship got pretty badly hosed up and they had to wait out the 50 minutes at a Starbase while other shenanigans happened?

I guess Justin Lin's says they're going to attack the neck of the ship primarily because as a child he always wondered why they wouldn't attack that very obvious weakness.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I see that after the Guardians of the Galaxy rip off trailer upset people they released a new trailer with some pop Freudian poo poo about Kirk's father issues and some minimalist piano music to reassure us that this will be another violent space fantasy movie, presumably about a villain seeking revenge and about Kirk learning the responsibilities of command. Perhaps Spock will even learn that he needs to balance emotion and reason.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Glad to see we are continuing the adventures of Jim "I live my life a quarter lightyear at a time" Kirk & Co.

In all fairness, this looks like it could have been a cool episode of the show, probably even a two-parter since the Enterprise gets destroyed. They need to just stop making movies and put it on Netflix or HBO or something. God help the CBS version.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

korusan posted:

Wasn't there an episode where the ship got pretty badly hosed up and they had to wait out the 50 minutes at a Starbase while other shenanigans happened?

I guess Justin Lin's says they're going to attack the neck of the ship primarily because as a child he always wondered why they wouldn't attack that very obvious weakness.

Well, which one? There are quite a few. DS9 had a few, Voyager had a few, I can't remember any from TNG off the top of my head, and TOS probably didn't.

DS9 was notable for an episode where they were downed and took refuge in a Dominion ship.

Enterprise had an episode where the ship had been incapacitated by a Romulan mine in the prior episode. They're limping along until they come across a too-good-to-be-true automated alien station that repairs the ship while stealing crew members to use as part of its computer core.

I'll note that Enterprise is surprisingly good in hindsight. Watching through it recently with my wife, I was surprised how good the show is. One or two stinkers, of course. Otherwise, I enjoyed the entire ride. Even the much-derided "gazelle speech" and "some directive" moments have been vastly overstated. They're not nearly as bad as I remembered.

Honestly, if it hadn't been for Nemesis and Trek fatigue after Voyager, Enterprise would have been better received.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Great_Gerbil posted:

I'll note that Enterprise is surprisingly good in hindsight.

'Polarize the hull plating'
'Hull plating at 60%'
Introducing holodecks in the third episode
Forcing a bunch of out-of-continuity cameos (ferengi, borg)

Enterprise wasn't Voyager levels of crap, but it was still fairly stinky.

It did give us more Andorian stuff though, and they've always been the best.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Great_Gerbil posted:

Honestly, if it hadn't been for Nemesis and Trek fatigue after Voyager, Enterprise would have been better received.

It's been a long road.

Gettin from there to here.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Enterprise's greatest weakness to me is that it just flopped all over the place constantly re-tooling itself. When I watch it maybe I'm a little "ehh" at first, then I start to appreciate it for what it is, then BAM they've focus grouped it again and now it's a completely different show this season.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

WarLocke posted:

'Polarize the hull plating'
'Hull plating at 60%'
Introducing holodecks in the third episode
Forcing a bunch of out-of-continuity cameos (ferengi, borg)

The Borg episode was actually pretty good. I rolled my eyes hard when it was announced but it won me over. The absolute helplessness that the NX-01 had was refreshing. Plus it brought the Borg full circle when they sent out coordinates for federation space. We know the El Aurians had told Starfleet about the Borg in the 23rd century and the Borg were scooping up settlements along the Romulan Neutral Zone in TNG's first season. Voyager revealed that there was a discreet effort to study the Borg which only makes sense. By then it was already canon that the Borg had to have been known of as early as Kirk's time.

Also it tied into First Contact which was just kind of a neat idea.

The Ferengi episode was pretty unnecessary, I'll give you that. But it was kinda amusing. In fact, in the prior episode the Ferengi were mentioned. Then, the Ferengi mentioned the (supposedly inferior) species as an insult.

The hull plating thing is a real world technology. I didn't like the percentages (lame rehash) but I always assumed they were referring to the current reinforcing the hull plating. Having said that, why take the time to explain some technobabble when they already had something that worked.

I don't see why holodecks were a problem, to be honest.

One of my favorite things about Enterprise is that it really does show humans pushing their way into a pre-existing society...

However

...I think it again suffered from the lack of time between Voyager and the TNG movies. We just became too adjusted to humans as dominant and all-knowing that we couldn't shift that frame of mind.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Enterprise's greatest weakness to me is that it just flopped all over the place constantly re-tooling itself. When I watch it maybe I'm a little "ehh" at first, then I start to appreciate it for what it is, then BAM they've focus grouped it again and now it's a completely different show this season.

Yeah, that happened. Although it wasn't afraid to carry on plot lines and ongoing character arcs. The third season was pretty good. Also the season finale is kind of a hilarious "gently caress you" to the writing staff and the writing staff took it and made it work.

Great_Gerbil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 22, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Enterprise was just a polished turd for the vast majority of it's run. Some modern TV direction and and continuity here or there doesn't take away from the fact that it was exactly as boring as most of Voyager and late stage TNG, and even though Manny Coto came on board and started doing interesting stuff in it's last season, by then it was just too late since the crew had spent three years appearing to be unlike-ably incompetent.

The Borg episode is a great example of what makes Enterprise frustrating in hindsight; running back to the well of overspent ideas (thanks Voyager) only to spend loads of effort on polishing the hell out of it (see: "Phase" weapons, "Photonic" torpedoes, hull plating that in practice is exactly the same as shields). They got Brian Tyler to score that episode and that shift away from sonic wallpaper music is why it's one of the more memorable episodes of the series.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I wish/hope this is the official poster:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Great_Gerbil posted:

The hull plating thing is a real world technology. I didn't like the percentages (lame rehash) but I always assumed they were referring to the current reinforcing the hull plating. Having said that, why take the time to explain some technobabble when they already had something that worked.

I said this a long time ago in the TV thread, but the polarization of the hull is actually an inventive idea to defend against at least energy weapons. Take a superconducting polarization filter and offset it by 90 degrees with another one underneath it, maybe repeat a few times in case it's not a perfect filter. The entire hull of the ship then can become a massive heatsink. I don't know if the writers ever thought of it that way, and of course realistically the problem with flying around in space using that much energy is already how to get rid of the excess heat, but for TV sci-fi logic it's good enough for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was based on certain armour materials that were being experimented with that dramatically increased in strength under a polarised em field, if I recall.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That does make more sense in terms of decreasing effectiveness being counted down rather than up, as it would be my way (heatsink reaching 20% capacity is better vs. 70% capacity, for example).

I remember too the Defiant has ablative armor that is also based on real tech, where under an energy beam it gets burned off into a fog of particles that interfere with the beam.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

MikeJF posted:

It was based on certain armour materials that were being experimented with that dramatically increased in strength under a polarised em field, if I recall.

I can't find any articles on it (that was pretty long ago!) but you're right.

As far as being rehashed Voyager plots and things like that, there are some of the same elements, of course. And they did reuse a plot here and there. But I really don't think Enterprise deserves the hate it gets.

"Photonic" torpedoes and things were what I always figured would just end up shortened into "photon" torpedoes. For a culture already playing around with antimatter, it seems like a pretty natural progression (although Reed stole the plans from the Klingons). Phase pistols, again, same thing. Before they installed the phase cannons and the photon torpedoes (in the third season) the ship was pretty impotent against other ships.

I also liked their incompetence because they worked their way up to interacting with aliens and the ship the way we eventually became used to. :kiddo:

Anecdotal, sure, but even after watching all the series my wife still says the Enterprise crew is the only one she ever got attached to.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Why do they have to fly the NX-01 Enterprise at the end. Why couldn't we just pretend Star Trek Enterprise never happened.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jack Gladney posted:

They could make it totally different with a young Khan if they wanted. Just have them be fighting Klingons when they find him and then they team up against the loving Klingons but then Khan tries to take over the ship and they toss him and oh no he ends up leading the loving Klingons for the third act!
w
It would have been interesting for Kahn to be less evil this time around with a new timeline. It would have reinforced that anything new could happen. Make him part of the crew. He could have always gone full evil later down the line.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

w
It would have been interesting for Kahn to be less evil this time around with a new timeline. It would have reinforced that anything new could happen. Make him part of the crew. He could have always gone full evil later down the line.

Do this, but have Cumberbatch's character be Joaquim instead of Khan (hell, he looks a lot like Joaquim's actor already) because OldSpock isn't dumb and warned Starfleet to never, ever, thaw Khan.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whatever your feelings about Into Darkness may be, that Starfleet dug up Hitler and put him in charge of the CIA is the point

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

multijoe posted:

Whatever your feelings about Into Darkness may be, that Starfleet dug up Hitler and put him in charge of the CIA is the point

Not My Starfleet!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

blowfish posted:

Why do they have to fly the NX-01 Enterprise at the end. Why couldn't we just pretend Star Trek Enterprise never happened.

It's a new design, the USS Franklin, not the NX-01. I think it's supposed to be of a similar age and class, though.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

blowfish posted:

Jokes on you after the timeline alterations, Star Trek Enterprise is the only series that actually happened. Also Enterprise gets a bad rap and is at least better than Voyager.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I loved Voyagers characters but hated the writing and the stories, I loved Enterprise's premise but hated all the characters.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

New poster:

It's nice to see a poster that looks hand painted or a bit similar to that style. Definitely fits in with the TOS series posters more than any of the other JJTrek ones have. Not sure why Kirk had to be on it twice though.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 24, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... So that white chick is totally a JJem'hadar, right?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

korusan posted:

New poster:

It's nice to see a poster that looks hand painted. Definitely fits in with the TOS series posters more than any of the other JJTrek ones have. Not sure why Kirk had to be on it twice though.

I thought this was really cool until my eyes got to the dirt bike and I started laughing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Dirtbikes rule! At last, star trek is complete

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I guess it's better than a 70 year old man riding dirt bikes. Maybe they decided to skip remaking the other four TOS movies and went straight to Nemesis.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

WarLocke posted:

... So that white chick is totally a JJem'hadar, right?

She's clearly from Cheron.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Tighclops posted:

I thought this was really cool until my eyes got to the dirt bike and I started laughing
Saint Sir Simon Pegg isn't going to let the fans down. The dirt bike is actually the Enterprise-A

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd jizz all over the movie theater if the Enterprise gets blowed up and and at the end it's replaced by a 1:1 copy of a connie refit Enterprise-A

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I know this is really petty but I think the ST09 Enterprise is really very ugly and am pretty amused that it apparently gets chewed up almost immediately

I hope whatever it's replaced with at the end of the film (because you know they're going to) is more thoughtfully designed so that it doesn't look like it's melting or have a big ol' downsy underbite

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope they dodge the obvious Star Trek IV ripoff ending (getting a new ship and zooming away from earth on another adventure... again) and do something more along the lines of Prometheus or Search for Spock. Ship's destroyed and the setup for the next film is them stuck out in space on a strange ship trying to make it back home or something. Maybe set up the next film to be some sort of treacherous journey to get back to Earth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe set up the next film to be some sort of treacherous journey to get back to Earth.

Voyager reboot!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Voyager reboot!

We already had that, it was called Battlestar Galactica.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Technically BSG came many years before Voyager and technically Lost in Space came many years before BSG so I guess what we want is another Lost in Space movie with Matt Leblanc?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I hope they dodge the obvious Star Trek IV ripoff ending (getting a new ship and zooming away from earth on another adventure... again) and do something more along the lines of Prometheus or Search for Spock. Ship's destroyed and the setup for the next film is them stuck out in space on a strange ship trying to make it back home or something. Maybe set up the next film to be some sort of treacherous journey to get back to Earth.

They have the two principle actors signed on for another one, but because this is the 50th I'm sure there will be some heartwarming Star Trek TOS episode ending with Spock raising an eyebrow, Bones sarcastically rambling, and Kirk giving a big poo poo eating grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

korusan posted:

They have the two principle actors signed on for another one, but because this is the 50th I'm sure there will be some heartwarming Star Trek TOS episode ending with Spock raising an eyebrow, Bones sarcastically rambling, and Kirk giving a big poo poo eating grin.

Totally forgot it's the 50th. Any rumors on cast members from any of the previous shows making a cameo?

• Locked thread