Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Why do you always get the insurance, title and bill of sale 5pm on friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Got home from a work week in Chicago after an hour of delays at 1:30 am. Kids woke up, and didn't get to sleep until 2:30 at least. Woke up around 5:30, and the eldest is feeling crummy with a fever. Not how I envisioned coming home, but still happy to at least be home.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

A good friend of mine passed today. He wrecked his motorcycle in the wet, and knowing him, alcohol was likely involved. Dude was pretty AI and had a bright blue R32 skyline as a daily driver for a while. I had been blowing him off due to work for a while, now I really regret it. Go out with your friends and hang out, shoot some pool or whatever. You never know whats gonna happen. :smith:

That's very sad. Unexpected death is always hard. Not too long ago someone I knew but not too well died in the sailing community up here. Its tough.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Seen on I-4 northeast of Orlando: grey F Type Jaaaaaaag with vanity plate FTYPE and Jacksonville Jaguars logo. Just imagine a shaky grainy camera photo as he drives away.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oww Jesus gently caress I dropped a jack stand on my finger

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Traveling in a conversion van with six people loses it's fun fast, especially when the owner's girlfriend has seemingly the smallest bladder ever and we had to stop every two hours for restroom breaks. Just over 13 hours on the road each way for what should have been a 10.5 hour drive. I did probably 75% of the driving. :fuckoff:

On the upside the van ran and rode well despite the rear tires showing some serious scalloping on the outside tread blocks. Bad rear shocks? Riding in the very back was...wallowy to say the least.

Oh yeah and she said yes. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I tripped on one and kicked it onto my other foot like three+ weeks ago and it's still sore if I push it from the top.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Congrats previa!!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I had some extra cash and wound up with a $500 turbo Volvo. What have I done?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Noise Complaint posted:

What have I done?

The Lord's work good man.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats to Previa! Celebrating our 7 year anniversary this weekend. Grandma and grandpa are heading over to watch the kids so we can see captain America and then hit a Japanese steakhouse for dinner. Marriage is awesome and you're in for an adventure!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

A good friend of mine passed today. He wrecked his motorcycle in the wet, and knowing him, alcohol was likely involved. Dude was pretty AI and had a bright blue R32 skyline as a daily driver for a while. I had been blowing him off due to work for a while, now I really regret it. Go out with your friends and hang out, shoot some pool or whatever. You never know whats gonna happen. :smith:
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. :sympathy:

KozmoNaut posted:

RIP Bill Hines aka. The Leadslinger :(

He made it to 94 years young, despite slingin' lead and smokin' cigars for most of his life. I first saw him on Monster Garage where he absolutely floored everyone (including me) with his amazing leadwork. The man was one hell of an artist.
After seeing him work, I doubt I'm the only one who's amazed he made it to 94 without suffering lead poisoning.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Noise Complaint posted:

I had some extra cash and wound up with a $500 turbo Volvo. What have I done?

Now spend more money than the car is worth and put a bigger turbo on it.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Buhbuhj posted:

Now spend more money than the car is worth and put a bigger turbo on it.

I've already spent more money than I paid for it just in poo poo from Amazon. It's a 2001 V70. I may have ordered springs to slam it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Noise Complaint posted:

I've already spent more money than I paid for it just in poo poo from Amazon. It's a 2001 V70.

it's a V70XC, that makes a difference :spergin: (renamed XC70 in 2003 iirc) - the suspension is slightly different to lift it a couple extra inches that's about it

Noise Complaint posted:

I may have ordered springs to slam it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MustardFacial posted:

I need to have some sense talked into me.

What do I do AI?

MustardFacial posted:

I am looking for cheap, reliable transportation. Nothing more.

Buy one of these instead:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/cto?query=focus

Avoid anything that says 2.0L Split Port on the valve cover. 2.0 Zetec or 2.3L Duratec is fine. Comfy gas efficient cars with kinda-IRS and ultra ultra cheap parts.

You can solder in an aux port extremely easily on the 1st gen models.

The second these got more expensive than a clean MR-S was the day I realized people like a dumb anime way too much.

Also there's a guy with a super white Matrix XRS, MR-S, and IS-300 *~SPORTCROSS~* in his driveway around here and he is probably the coolest person to ever exist.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 22, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I don't know if I want to burn it or embrace it. Maybe with Pegasus wheels and no pushbar...

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Looks cool as hell.

Wife had a work event catered by Chik-fil-A and brought one of the meal boxes home. Just the basics, chips, cookie, chicken sandwich.

I opened it up to snack on the chips....

She grabbed a box full of sauces. I can't stop laughing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The nice guys was a good movie

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Extra posted:

Avoid anything that says 2.0L Split Port on the valve cover. 2.0 Zetec or 2.3L Duratec is fine. Comfy gas efficient cars with kinda-IRS and ultra ultra cheap parts.

Seconding this suggestion, excellent cars for something designed nearly 2 decades ago.

If you settle on a first generation ('00-'04) look for something manufactured 2002.5 or later, they had most of the kinks sorted out by then.

e: also any C170 based Focus (2000-2011) has full IRS, unless you're counting a swaybar as kinda-IRS.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 22, 2016

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

I wasn't paying attention a few years ago and I went to grab a big rear end truck jack stand around the neck and accidentally hit the release lever as I lifted it up. Top slammed down on the webbing between my thumb and index finger, fucker took forever to stop bleeding. Have a nice scar from that one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I did SPATCHCOCK today and it was delicious.

Also picked up this gem off craigslist :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
New puppy just was diagnosed with Parvo. Fortunately he's only been symptomatic since this afternoon so the outcome is likely OK but yeah...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Aww poor buddy :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Customer at work is trading in a MS3, 08 with like 103k miles. It's red which I don't like but when I glanced at it outside before they left it seemed in pretty decent shape... I'm at least going to check it out once it's actually in but I can't decide if I should get it or not if it checks out ok

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's my 35th today, the weather's fantastic, I've got a fridge full of local beers, there's a military weekend at the local steam railway, the day's looking good goons.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its dark and pissing sideways with rain. Time to crack out the bookers and Pistachio nuts!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

Its dark and pissing sideways with rain. Time to crack out the bookers and Pistachio nuts!

It's absolutely making GBS threads itself here too. Drove 500 k's over the weekend in the 70 series in gale force side winds, got blown all over the show. Super stoked to have an office job for the winter.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

leica posted:

I did SPATCHCOCK today and it was delicious.

Spatchcock is the way to loving go. I had a huge argument with a guy on Facebook recently. His preferred method was beer canning. I told him to gently caress right off and try spatchcock. He did and will never ever go back :)

Wrar posted:

New puppy just was diagnosed with Parvo. Fortunately he's only been symptomatic since this afternoon so the outcome is likely OK but yeah...

Ugh. I know this feeling. Our newest pup was hospitalized for 2 weeks right after we got him due to a horrible lung infection that lead to pneumonia.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Poked around a couple of pingauzers, a Gaz radio truck and untold jeeps, rode the miniature railway with the kids, decent morning out. My parents are dropping by later, there's (locally brewed) beer cooling in the fridge, today has been a nice reminder that life can be good.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I feel like this doesn't warrant it's own thread and doesn't fit into the BFC AI thread, so I'm throwing it here. Feel free to yell at me for being in the wrong spot.

For my 30th birthday, my wife rented me a 73 Fiat 850 Spider. Fell in love with the car with the exception of it having absolutely zero power. Great braking feel had to really apply pressure to the pedal to stop, the steering feel was pretty heavy, except at high speeds, throttle required effort to depress etc. The things that made the car hard to drive and objectively "bad" were what made me want to start the hunt for a classic car.

So I've been looking for something with the same driving feel with more power. Wife wants a convertible. I drove a great looking 79 Alfa Spider today and was really disappointed. Power was good enough, but the brakes, throttle and clutch just felt really loose and numb. Very unlike the connected feeling of the 850 spider. The Fiat felt like a motorcycle with 4 wheels (and no power)

What else should I look at? Spitfire and the Spridget seem to be too down on power for me. MGB and Fiat 124 Spider I imagine will feel the same.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

I feel like this doesn't warrant it's own thread and doesn't fit into the BFC AI thread, so I'm throwing it here. Feel free to yell at me for being in the wrong spot.

For my 30th birthday, my wife rented me a 73 Fiat 850 Spider. Fell in love with the car with the exception of it having absolutely zero power. Great braking feel had to really apply pressure to the pedal to stop, the steering feel was pretty heavy, except at high speeds, throttle required effort to depress etc. The things that made the car hard to drive and objectively "bad" were what made me want to start the hunt for a classic car.

So I've been looking for something with the same driving feel with more power. Wife wants a convertible. I drove a great looking 79 Alfa Spider today and was really disappointed. Power was good enough, but the brakes, throttle and clutch just felt really loose and numb. Very unlike the connected feeling of the 850 spider. The Fiat felt like a motorcycle with 4 wheels (and no power)

What else should I look at? Spitfire and the Spridget seem to be too down on power for me. MGB and Fiat 124 Spider I imagine will feel the same.

TR6?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Oh yeah I should mention budget. I'd like to be at 7,500ish for a running okay example. This would be hard with the TR6, I think. And wouldn't be a daily driver, it'd be our 3rd car for 2 drivers.

E: I'm going to have to buy a first gen miata, aren't I?

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There are worse things.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

Well, it's a very small convertible made by the Japanese in the tradition of the old British sports cars, so it'll just run and not drip oil all the drat time... Just buy the Miata. Oh and a reasonable Miata should cost less than a decent example of any older car. I like the first gen best because of the headlights.

I have a Midget and it's cool but up here at 5,000+ feet it's quite gutless. Cute, though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Just watched 'Hot and Run'

This should be an official AI movie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I went to a lego show yesterday and whilst I love lego stuff in itself there was a simply astonishing level of autism amongst the 'brickmasters'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Oh yeah I should mention budget. I'd like to be at 7,500ish for a running okay example. This would be hard with the TR6, I think. And wouldn't be a daily driver, it'd be our 3rd car for 2 drivers.

Do you want to own a classic car, or enjoy one? Own, classic. Enjoy, miata.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Cakefool posted:

Do you want to own a classic car, or enjoy one? Own, classic. Enjoy, miata.

I honestly do want to own a classic car. I know I'll spend more time wrenching than driving which I'm used to because I own a small collection of classic motorcycles. Unfortunately, I have to give them up, and I want to chase that wonderful smell and sitting on the side of the road shivering waiting for a tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
miatas are now over 20 years old, so you have plenty of dumb rubber gaskets to replace

• Locked thread