Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Akiko: Weren't you into radio? Is this actually what you want?
Wakana: Shut up I'm evil now.

I goddamn love that Ryubei flat out claims he let Double stop his Dopants so far because they provided information/data for his schemes. It was starting to bug me that someone as manipulative as Ryubei didn't seem to be bothered by Double at all. What an awful family. And I'm so glad Terui is still a huge loser who watches dozens of romantic comedies for a kiss scene.

Edit: Wow they're diving into how bad it is that Wakana can get into the Gaia Library super hard

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Shout Factory is gonna make Ohranger happen

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

Shout Factory is gonna make Ohranger happen

Link?

Their subs are pretty decent quality right? If they keep up this pace they might catch up to the (future) current sentai before Saban can. :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cernunnos posted:

Link?

Their subs are pretty decent quality right? If they keep up this pace they might catch up to the (future) current sentai before Saban can. :v:

https://twitter.com/shoutfactorytv/status/734059735742173184

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cernunnos posted:

Link?

and then they'd have to go back and do the old ones!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

and then they'd have to go back and do the old ones!

*Crosses fingers for eventual Liveman box set.*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gourdcaptain posted:

*Crosses fingers for eventual Liveman box set.*

im more interested in Gorenger or JAKQ tbh

i really wanna see JAKQ just because it looks fuckin mental

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I just heard about Kamen Rider Amazons. It spun out of a movie, right? Should I watch the movie first or dive right in to Amazons?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

I just heard about Kamen Rider Amazons. It spun out of a movie, right? Should I watch the movie first or dive right in to Amazons?

It is not actually. Amazons is entirely its own beast, based on the classic Kamen Rider Amazon series from the 70s.

But there, at least for now, seems to be nothing that connects the two series, so you're free to dive right in.

Just be warned, it's noticeably more serious and violent than most of the recent Rider series.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

It spun out of a thirty year old tv show. You should definitely watch said show on its own merits but from what I've heard its not necessarily necessary.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

It is not actually. Amazons is entirely its own beast, based on the classic Kamen Rider Amazon series from the 70s.

But there, at least for now, seems to be nothing that connects the two series, so you're free to dive right in.

Just be warned, it's noticeably more serious and violent than most of the recent Rider series.

Thank god. I dropped Drive after one episode because of the goofy talking belt and dropped Ghost even harder after the goofy talking ghost puppet showed up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

boom boom boom posted:

Thank god. I dropped Drive after one episode because of the goofy talking belt and dropped Ghost even harder after the goofy talking ghost puppet showed up.

You should go back to Drive. Krim Stienbelt is actually one of the best ally characters. No joke.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

boom boom boom posted:

:stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Fair warning, this will be a much shorter series. I believe it's only going to be 11 episodes, which makes me kind of nervous for how it ends, unless they have a sequel planned I guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

boom boom boom posted:

Ticket didn't die so he could put up with this poo poo :mad:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
you're already watching a show aimed for an age group decades below you about people in rubber suits hitting each other with toys, embrace the goofiness.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Acne Rain posted:

you're already watching a show aimed for an age group decades below you about people in rubber suits hitting each other with toys, embrace the goofiness.

There's a difference between Kabuto and Den-O, though. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't mean there has to be goofy puppets with funny voices

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

boom boom boom posted:

There's a difference between Kabuto and Den-O, though. Just because it's a kid's show doesn't mean there has to be goofy puppets with funny voices

But Kabuto is silly as gently caress and full of annoyingly talkative belts, yet you complain about Drive, which bothers to give its own belt a personality and make him one of the best characters in the show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah Den-O is a lot more serious then ULTIMATE MAKE UP HOPPER BROTHERS FOOD WARS: FEAT. GRANDMA SAID poo poo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And just because a series has some goofy moments doesn't mean it can't be serious at times too, like Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Buster, Double, Fourze, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Some Numbers posted:

And just because a series has some goofy moments doesn't mean it can't be serious at times too, like Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Buster, Double, Fourze, etc.

Or for that Matter, Drive itself has some of the ebst written villains the franchise has had in awhile, who's death scenes actaully made you feel bad for them, even if they were the antagonists.

Except Banno. gently caress that guy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Fourze translates as a serious series, even at its best, honestly. It's a goofy light hearted show that could be serious.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

I don't think Fourze translates as a serious series, even at its best, honestly. It's a goofy light hearted show that could be serious.

Yeah, there's a difference between a goofy show that can get serious, like Fourze and Den-O, and a serious show that can get goofy, like Kabuto or Ryuki.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between a goofy show that can get serious, like Fourze and Den-O, and a serious show that can get goofy, like Kabuto or Ryuki.

Drive is a serious show that gets goofy or perhaps a show that starts goofy and gets serious and then occasionally has goofy moments.

It also has the best ending since Double.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Every single character in Kabuto is sillier than Mr. Belt with maybe the exceptions of Kagami and his two bosses.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Belt is legit.

And his English is spotless.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Mr. Belt is legit.

And his English is spotless.

That's because the dude is Japanese-American and grew up in California.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

John McClane posted:

That's because the dude is Japanese-American and grew up in California.

Nice.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I hope that KR and Sentai continue to lean into the weird English and Americanisms of the past few series. Give me more fat Japanese-Canadian dudes like Ramires.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

John McClane posted:

I hope that KR and Sentai continue to lean into the weird English and Americanisms of the past few series. Give me more fat Japanese-Canadian dudes like Ramires.

As long as they let them speak good Japanese and not that incredibly fake bad Japanese that Ramires spoke.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

As long as they let them speak good Japanese and not that incredibly fake bad Japanese that Ramires spoke.

that was like half of the joke though

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

that was like half of the joke though

Yeah this was Funny and Good imo

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
My favorite gag in Ninninger was that Kenji was called an American when he didn't speak a single word of English.

The best iteration of it was at the end where Yakumo shows he actually does kind of know how to speak English in front of a lecture, immediately before Kenji yells loudly YES I AM NINJA FOOD in the very next scene.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'll never understand what Toei was trying with Kinji. He's an American...with a Japanese name, whose family have Japanese names, who very clearly can't speak a single word in English but has perfect Japanese...

He was just as half-assed as the rest of the show.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll never understand what Toei was trying with Kinji. He's an American...with a Japanese name, whose family have Japanese names, who very clearly can't speak a single word in English but has perfect Japanese...

Kids don't know what proper English sounds like and there are plenty of Americans who's first and last names are Japanese. His Japanese was also like goofy old movie speak instead of normal Japanese, O-T just didn't bother translating it that way most of the time because that would be super annoying to read.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

It will be interesting to see how Power Rangers Ninja Steel will handle it's version of him

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty sure that guy has perfectly fine, normal Japanese speaking skills IRL but since he's a big Canadian dude they always make him speak poorly for laughs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Pretty sure that guy has perfectly fine, normal Japanese speaking skills IRL but since he's a big Canadian dude they always make him speak poorly for laughs.

Yeah, he was born and raised in Japan so he's fluent in the language. I'm not sure whether his somewhat stilted performance was Baldwin's decision or a manadate by Toei (I'm guessing the latter as his appearence in Shinkenger was like that too. Has there ever been a production he's been in where he was allowed to speak normally?) but even with that restriction I didn't think he was that bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, him being a goony weeaboo is literally the joke so him speaking fluently in Shinkenger would be asinine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

He does.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, he was born and raised in Japan so he's fluent in the language. I'm not sure whether his somewhat stilted performance was Baldwin's decision or a manadate by Toei (I'm guessing the latter as his appearence in Shinkenger was like that too. Has there ever been a production he's been in where he was allowed to speak normally?) but even with that restriction I didn't think he was that bad.

He wasn't in Shinkenger, that was another guy.

• Locked thread