Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wouldn't feel too bad, silly people buying inappropriate cameras are how e-bay auctions are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What's inappropriate about an a6000? You can get it new with a kit lens for $700 all day, which is only $100 more than their stated budget, similar to some of the other suggestions made.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Cuz it's $ony brah. This is the Fuji thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If they feel it's a bad match for the person they know in real life then yay for the next person is all.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
It's not a bad match, I think the camera will be great for them, it's just I had thought the budget was a strict constraint and then they went 50% over.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

bobfather posted:

Cuz it's $ony brah. This is the Fuji thread.

Oh I see, I thought the Fuji thread was over here.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Thanks all for the advice.

They went ahead and ignored my advice and their budget and bought a brand new Sony a6000.

Nothing wrong with any camera so long as it gets used and does what you need it to do when you need it to do it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Well played. I'd unironically get the Instax SP1 (or the SP2 rumored to be coming soon) if I could buy film for $.25 an exposure.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

It's not a bad match, I think the camera will be great for them, it's just I had thought the budget was a strict constraint and then they went 50% over.

If there's anything photography and eBay have taught me, it's that when it comes to buying stuff people don't really care about logical things like suitability or budget, even if they say they do. They'll just spend whatever amount to buy what they feel like at the time.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People who buy camera from Best Buy make emotional purchases. However I find the advises the beginners get from their friends and coworkers are usually just as bad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sounds about right. I tend to agree with this guy:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...ing-advice.html

quote:

I used to take requests for advice super-seriously. I'd question the friend about their needs, analyze the factors that pertained, apply my deep knowledge of the options available on the market, and tell them what, in my considered judgement, they should purchase.

...Which advice they would promptly completely ignore. Later, when I saw them again, I'd be told with a little laugh that they liked my choice and appreciated my advice, but, well, they went to Best Buy and the kid behind the counter thought that the Amygdala IQ87 was the best bargain, and they liked the look of it, so they bought that instead.

But, thanks anyway.

Eventually what I realized was that no one ever took my advice. As in, never. Not once. It never happened. Nine times out of nine they'd listen to my careful, painstaking analysis that took me hours to compile, and ignore it and go buy something else on a whim.

So that's why I stopped advising friends and relatives about what camera to buy. It's not that I don't want to; it's not that I can't; it's certainly not that I don't want to do them the favor—I'd be more than happy to help; it's just that it's been my observation that they never end up taking my advice anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 22, 2016

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I get asked for camera advice a lot from friends and family, mostly when it was back when I was dealing in second hand and people thought I was going to sell them a camera for the same price I bought it, or "lend" them one for the holidays. Standard response was "Everything I have is sold, get a Panasonic, you can't go wrong with a Panasonic. If you want to give me your money and give you a rough idea of what you want then I'll find you a bargain". 9.9/10 it was "I want a huge zoom, touch screen and can fit in my pocket"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
And I want it for around $300.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
can it upload to instagram?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it should also have a 16-300mm f1.4 zoom and is full frame but pocket sized.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

it should also have a 16-300mm f1.4 zoom and is full frame but pocket sized.

I want one of these

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just shot a wedding with an XT1 and Xpro2. Time to buy a 2nd Xpro because drat did I not want to grab the XT1 like hardly ever.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
:siren: The big Fuji sale has started :siren:

Amazon, B&H and everyone else has updated prices.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
35/2 for 299 or 16/1.4 for 699? Somebody talk me out of these.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Both? I used the 16mm way more than I used the 35mm today.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Both!!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi posted:

Selling my OM-D E-M5 to pick up a X100S. Hope I won't regret it!

Update: Mission aborted (or at least delayed). Played around with a friend's X100S and the autofocus is too slow not to irritate me in the long run. I'm curious about the rumoured X200 or whatever it will be called though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's the issue I had with all the x100's (and really all bodies until the xt1). Once you're used to reflex bodies' phase af you're spoiled for life basically.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm in a bad relationship with my X100, one of those where you fight all the time but the sex is still great so we may as well give it another go right? I've shot stuff like children's birthday parties inside with natural light with an X100, but you really got to know how to work round the AF. It's not something I would generally recommend to others while the EM-5 exists.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
23 or 27?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

23 or 27?

Do you need 2 stops of extra light?

If yes, the 23.

If no, the 27.

Both are great lenses, but if you don't need the extra light the 23 is like a bazooka compared to the 27, sizewise.

Edit: forgot to say, no aperture ring on the 27 which is real bad. Otherwise it's real good.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 22, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
27 it is. I wish I could get one locally since I'm going on a week trip starting tomorrow, but nowhere around here stocks it.
http://www.eglobalcentral.com/fujifilm-fujinon-xf-27mm-f2.8-lens-black.html
Is this legit?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

27 it is. I wish I could get one locally since I'm going on a week trip starting tomorrow, but nowhere around here stocks it.
Is this legit?

I brought my gray market XT1 from there.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Is this legit?

Why not B&H? $299 is the sale price in the US now (not sure where you are in the world)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nop posted:

Why not B&H? $299 is the sale price in the US now (not sure where you are in the world)

I see it everywhere for $299 right now... $199 isn't matched anywhere else.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

I see it everywhere for $299 right now... $199 isn't matched anywhere else.

Yep, definitely misread the price there.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Dumb question time: I've been saving for an Olympus 7-14 since I've found that I enjoy landscape and architecture photography the most, and I've heard about issues with purple splotches when using the Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies. However, that lens is $1,200 with the current Olympus sale. Would I be better off getting, say, the Fuji 10-24 lens for $800 and picking up a used Fuji body with the difference?

I really like Olympus/M43 and have no desire to switch systems, but M43 wide options are pretty pricy.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Fuji 10-24 is great, and you can get it closer to $650-$700 used if you look around and be patient.

Combine that with a cheap XT1 or XT10 from people unloading theirs in a month or two to get the XT2, you could probably buy lens and body for $1200 or less.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are also Fuji 14mm/2.8 and Zeiss 12mm 2.8 (APS lens for Fuji and Sony mounts)

The best APS wide zooms are probably Fujifilm 10-24mm and Tokina 11-20mm for Nikon/Canon.

I haven't seen any m43 ultra wide zoom vs APS wide zoom comparo.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The Samyang/Rokinon 12mm/2 is also excellent and will save you money. It's manual focus only but for landscape that's not a problem

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
thank god fuji makes good jpg because i just took a bunch of images for a company celebration and i was in jpg only.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone have any info on what it's like shooting the 100-400 on an X-T1? I'm trying to convince myself not to get one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Unsurprisingly, the 50-140 is a really really good lens. Used it out in the rain today and it's absolutely top-tier. Fast and sharp wide open.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

surrender posted:

Dumb question time: I've been saving for an Olympus 7-14 since I've found that I enjoy landscape and architecture photography the most, and I've heard about issues with purple splotches when using the Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies. However, that lens is $1,200 with the current Olympus sale. Would I be better off getting, say, the Fuji 10-24 lens for $800 and picking up a used Fuji body with the difference?

I really like Olympus/M43 and have no desire to switch systems, but M43 wide options are pretty pricy.

The Kowa 8.5 is pretty great for this type of photography. 0.12% distortion and no visible CA of note thanks to a floating fluorite element. Cheaper, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

rio posted:

Anyone have any info on what it's like shooting the 100-400 on an X-T1? I'm trying to convince myself not to get one.

Tried it last weekend on my X-T1 together with the TC and it was a blast to shoot with. Can't find any large difference in sharpness or AF-speed between it and the 50-140, it just works.

Tempted to get a battery grip for some better balance and the weight started to become an issue after a few hours (...or I'm just out of shape) but that's about the only negative points I can think of atm.