Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Potato Alley posted:

Dude, almost 15 minutes to jump in? You're loving slipping, my man. Used to be we could expect a CLAM DOWN post about the superiority of Canadian healthcare before the ink was even dry on the previous post mentioning something even vaguely related to American healthcare.

Are you getting enough free meds? You may want to up your stimulant dose, get you back on top of quick response shitposting. This forum is so much worse better when you're at the top of your game.
Are you proud of this behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Potato Alley posted:

Dude, almost 15 minutes to jump in? You're loving slipping, my man. Used to be we could expect a CLAM DOWN post about the superiority of Canadian healthcare before the ink was even dry on the previous post mentioning something even vaguely related to American healthcare.

Are you getting enough free meds? You may want to up your stimulant dose, get you back on top of quick response shitposting. This forum is so much worse better when you're at the top of your game.

So you admit Canadian healthcare and workers rights are better than Americas

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

anthonypants posted:

Are you proud of this behavior

Not really but it's Friday and poking trolls is good juvenile fun. edit: yeah I guess I'm just feeling especially snarky today, sorry.

jaegerx posted:

So you admit Canadian healthcare and workers rights are better than Americas

For what it's worth I think both of those are better in almost every first world country than they are in America, but the point was CLAM DOWN's tendency to jump in as soon as possible anytime this issue comes up to remind all us poor Americans how much better things are in Canada.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

:canada:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Not really but it's Friday and poking trolls is good juvenile fun. edit: yeah I guess I'm just feeling especially snarky today, sorry.

For what it's worth I think both of those are better in almost every first world country than they are in America, but the point was CLAM DOWN's tendency to jump in as soon as possible anytime this issue comes up to remind all us poor Americans how much better things are in Canada.

:jerkbag:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

In other news how would yall goons answer these pre-interview questions?

Someone really smart posted:

Please limit your answers to no more than one page per question.

1. Describe your vision for planning and developing the appropriate server technology for a large, multi-campus community college. How does your vision address rapid developments in how technology services are provided, organizational needs for security and risk management, and evolving trends in use of technology to support education?

2. Describe your experience supervising and working with diverse populations that demonstrates your understanding of and success working with individuals from different cultures and ethnic background.
rom different cultures and ethnic backgrounds.

3. Describe your experience with planning server and data storage Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity strategies. Describe a Business Continuity plan for a large multi-campus community college located in the Cascadia Subduction Zone. How does your plan address the core mission of Portland Community College?

4. The Server Admin manager leads a team that includes both centralized staff that provides support for enterprise apps and staff at each of PCC's four campuses that supports local campus needs (e.g., servers needed by instructors, support for local servers that provide workstation management support). Please describe how your background makes you a good candidate to lead the the server team in supporting this hybrid centralized/decentralized model.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

goatse

I'm 30 years old with a kid, I don't do businesses' homework for free anymore. Figure out your own business continuity plan.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

goatse

I'm 30 years old with a kid, I don't do businesses' homework for free anymore

I wasn't being entirely serious but I wasn't even aware the Cascadia Subduction Zone was even a real thing :aaa:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

A company I previously interviewed for asked me to do fizzbuzz for a sysadmin position. I declined because that's the stupidest poo poo in the world until I saw tabs preinterview questions.

Only beaten is when google techs argued with me over how to delete a file called "-1" or something similar. I told them I would delete the inode. It's wrong in their questions.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Tab8715 posted:

1. Hire smart people that can do the job. Fire dumb people who cannot perform. 

2. I n my experience, if you don't hire idiots, you don't have issues with them, even if they are white, black, orange, female, male, trans or other Kin. 

3. I usually don't do Consulting for free.

4. I am not dumb.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Only beaten is when google techs argued with me over how to delete a file called "-1" or something similar. I told them I would delete the inode. It's wrong in their questions.

What the hell was their right answer?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I would suggest that they engage a consulting company, like the one I work for, and pay us money to answer these questions for them. Which should be a reasonable response because I have actually done consulting work for them, for money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'd answer #3 with a RAID 0 Array of USB Flash Drives.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell was their right answer?
They were probably looking for something as basic as rm ./-1 or rm -- -1

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The actual answer for how everyone here plans for the Cascadia Subduction zone going off is mostly "hopes and wishes" because it's tough to suitably prepare for the entire PNW west of the Cascades sloughing off into the ocean. But I guess if you survive it you might want to ensure that your credits in Intro to Western Art transfer to Boise Community College.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nitrogen posted:

2. I n my experience, if you don't hire idiots, you don't have issues with them, even if they are white, black, orange, female, male, trans or other Kin. 
On the other hand, one of the gotchas of hiring diversely is that you don't necessarily know what to expect culturally. At a previous job I hired an immigrant from Ghana who quit right after I did, and we're pretty sure it's because he absolutely did not feel comfortable working for the gay man he had to report to afterwards. (Like in most of sub-Saharan Africa, homosexual acts are illegal in Ghana, with obvious impacts on the way LGBT people are perceived.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

They were probably looking for something as basic as rm ./-1 or rm -- -1

Yup

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Arsten posted:

Stop letting any part of the health care, pharmaceutical, and insurance industry write and pay for legislation that benefits them and screws every one else - especially the patients. Then you wouldn't get situations where hospitals are required by contract with the insurance carriers to bill you at "retail" rates (which they almost always knock down to "settle" your bill) - mandates which are in place so that they can then advertise to potential clients (mainly employers) that "Our plans drop retail pricing down by 60%!"

Health care in the US is a vast squishy network of backroom shenanigans and hoopla, perpetuated not just by industry interacting with itself and the patients, but those industries buying rights from the government.

This, forever.
EHR systems cost tens to hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars for a hospital to implement, and millions of dollars a year to run. ACA mandated EHRs had to undergo third party, expensive accreditation, which kept out small players and in house development out of the picture.
Meaningful Use mandates also are expensive to meet. There are all sorts of provisions and side deals that guarantee major vendors all sorts of profit, half on the government's dime, half on the healthcare industry's. It would have, and was, happening naturally.

go3 posted:

its not ACA's fault that a hospital has been lowballing the poo poo out of its employees for years so they can pay hilarious sums to administrators and physicians

Do IT staff at 4000, 8000, and 19000 employee companies all make equivalent salaries? I am guessing not...ACA directly caused the consolidation - smaller systems could not afford to implement new mandates, and rather than risking reduced reimbursement and penalties, they were forced to partner with larger systems. Does executive leadership command the same salary, or more?

The end result is actually going to be a lot of systems buried in debt - it was too much too quick, it's not being absorbed well anywhere, to the point where I see a healthcare debt bailout at some point - but not for civilians, it will be for the healthcare networks, because we got bled dry.

On the insurance side, already payors are failing into default as well, several have shuttered, others forced to buy up their coverage contracts at a loss - both hospitals and payors actually LOSE money on some negotiated rates. Many are leaving the exchanges as well.

From a finance side, it is really nasty.

The biggest joke is in non-profit healthcare. Most systems have dozens to hundreds of tax IDs. Money gets shuffled around, 990s don't show anything, and municipalities can't put up much of a fight in regards to taxes, even though there's a LOT of shady poo poo going on at many systems, especially with rapid leadership changes due to consolidation. People are taking cuts, "consulting fees", heh. Non-profit my rear end.

Anyway, I digress. It's a good time to be in healthcare IT. Lots of work, and we're all too big to fail. High turnover, so you probably don't have to worry about losing your job unless you want to leave. Join us.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 21, 2016

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

On the other hand, one of the gotchas of hiring diversely is that you don't necessarily know what to expect culturally.
Legal or not, you have to consider the well being of the team, present and future, with any hire. It's hard to justify hiring someone who is philisophically opposed to homosexuality in an industry with high levels of it. I can admit I would not have previously thought twice about someones nationality like that, but I will in the future consider things like that when hiring (it's unlikely to ever be an issue for me, i don;t like in a culturally diverse place).

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyway, I digress. It's a good time to be in healthcare IT. Lots of work, and we're all too big to fail. High turnover, so you probably don't have to worry about losing your job unless you want to leave. Join us.

Do not, under any circumstances, join them. Yes, you'll make money. But you will die to do so. Everyone I know in HC IT right now is worked to the bone and then asked why they aren't giving 110%.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

Legal or not, you have to consider the well being of the team, present and future, with any hire. It's hard to justify hiring someone who is philisophically opposed to homosexuality in an industry with high levels of it. I can admit I would not have previously thought twice about someones nationality like that, but I will in the future consider things like that when hiring (it's unlikely to ever be an issue for me, i don;t like in a culturally diverse place).
It's a weird situation for sure. This person never said an unkind word to anyone at the company, and you can't just assume they're going to have a problem because of where they're from -- not everyone there believes that, and there must be some reason they left their home country, right? And even in the worst cases, you can still work for people you don't like and be a professional. But because of this situation I now know that 96% of people polled by Pew in Ghana believe that homosexuality should not be accepted by society.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

My coworker took this picture a few days ago while onsite at one of our clients:

I realize there's a lot to take in here, but please turn your attention to the server lying on the floor. What's that on top of it?

Of course it's a GTX 980Ti being used solely for crunching numbers.

...that's connected to said server via a PCIe-to-USB riser card.

...and insulated from the metal server case by a thin strip of cardboard.

Why yes, I am still looking for a new job that isn't an MSP, how'd you know?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like to think that the date on the cardboard is how long that's been set up like that. 5 years, using an older graphics card before the 980 came out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

A company I previously interviewed for asked me to do fizzbuzz for a sysadmin position. I declined because that's the stupidest poo poo in the world until I saw tabs preinterview questions.

The most stupid thing I encountered was the hiring manager walking me through their offer. He got 2 files from HR and couldn't figure out what the difference. So he let me sit next to him and look at both offers to see if I could spot the differences.

At my first look I noticed HR sent him 2 offers. A first offer and one with the highest number / benefits they wanted to go for me.

When I pointed this out he looked a bit stupified and said: "well I guess we won't be talking about the first offer anymore..."

:wtc:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that a dishwasher?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

Why yes, I am still looking for a new job that isn't an MSP, how'd you know?
I dunno, lots of people in here have said they'd kill to work at a place where the telecom punchdown block is that pristine.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tab8715 posted:

Along the lines of everyone else's "I don't do consulting for free" answers, I generally answer questions about my current and expected salaries by stating that we can discuss it in person and base it on what we agree I'm worth. So I think a polite answer that those kinds of things are generally done for money, and also that there is not enough actual information presented there to make an educated decision, would be fine.

Or just answer "The Cloud" to everything.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nobody mentioned that at least 24 beers seem to have been discarded in there?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Thanks Ants posted:

Is that a dishwasher?

Yes, I'm more interested in the story about the dishwasher.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

1. AWS and Google Cloud Platform, multiple vendors for redundancy with each having specific advantages for certain use cases.

2. "That's racist".

3. :yayclod:

4. Using the cloud means resources can be efficiently spent in specializing in support of the apps and content and not specifics of the underlying infrastructure.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

1) Assuming the services provided are business critical, scale out architecture with no central points of failure, preferably between multiple data centers. Leverage Cloud hosting where appropriate and approved, if it makes sense.

2) Be professional at the office and cognizant of your colleagues' and customers' religious or cultural backgrounds and what impact it may have on team dynamics or business interactions. Though, if this got asked during an interview question, I'd be wondering if I want to work there.

3) Planning for DR is not particularly complicated - from an infrastructure standpoint. You would establish various tiers of availability - ranging from the fastest recovery time\most expensive to cheapest\longest recovery time. active/active, active/passive, snapshots, system restore in the event of failures. For all tiers of infrastructure and availability, you typically want at least to eliminate all central points of failure; redundant storage fabric, network, enough server capacity to take on additional load in the event of hardware failure, etc. are all a must.

The challenge is assessing business needs and budgeting, assuming you do not have an unlimited budget - having the key players identify what systems are mission critical, and organizational buy-in. You would then tier out and establish SLAs for your various applications - and build out your infrastructure appropriately.

You may want to leverage cloud hosting for redundancy if you're in a natural disaster zone - but your infrastructure should account for power loss, network line breakage, etc. In the event of a serious disaster - you want your data to be protected at minimum, which is why you want to store your backups in a geographically distant location, but are students going to be showing up for school?

4) Ew, wait, what? Server admin team? Stand alone decentralized servers outside of a DC? No, never mind, I'm not doing that again, I promised myself never again. *walks out*
*pokes head back in* But if I were you, make sure the ILO cards are hooked up on the standalone servers, and probably install Microsoft SCOM or something similar. I would be concerned why we have standalone servers all over the place, why not Citrix, or RDS, and central hosting? Maybe I'm just too used to having sites geographically separated dozens of miles, and hours apart, making remote servers all over the place cringeworthy.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 21, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Diversity awareness is a lot more than 'don't be racist'. It's recognising that minority groups are more vulnerable to bullying in the workplace and being willing to take positive steps to counter that. It's knowing that if you suggest Friday after-work drinks as a team-bonding event then the Muslim co-worker is going to feel incredibly excluded. It's being aware that if you learn information about people as their manager then you have a duty of confidentiality with regards to that information. On a positive note you can talk about how people from different backgrounds bring different experiences to the workplace and how they might bring insights to the table that improves the work you do.

If you are applying for a role managing other people then this is a question you should expect to be asked every time and you should have an answer for it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This, forever.
EHR systems cost tens to hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars for a hospital to implement, and millions of dollars a year to run. ACA mandated EHRs had to undergo third party, expensive accreditation, which kept out small players and in house development out of the picture.
Meaningful Use mandates also are expensive to meet. There are all sorts of provisions and side deals that guarantee major vendors all sorts of profit, half on the government's dime, half on the healthcare industry's. It would have, and was, happening naturally.

Do IT staff at 4000, 8000, and 19000 employee companies all make equivalent salaries? I am guessing not...ACA directly caused the consolidation - smaller systems could not afford to implement new mandates, and rather than risking reduced reimbursement and penalties, they were forced to partner with larger systems. Does executive leadership command the same salary, or more?

The end result is actually going to be a lot of systems buried in debt - it was too much too quick, it's not being absorbed well anywhere, to the point where I see a healthcare debt bailout at some point - but not for civilians, it will be for the healthcare networks, because we got bled dry.

On the insurance side, already payors are failing into default as well, several have shuttered, others forced to buy up their coverage contracts at a loss - both hospitals and payors actually LOSE money on some negotiated rates. Many are leaving the exchanges as well.

From a finance side, it is really nasty.

The biggest joke is in non-profit healthcare. Most systems have dozens to hundreds of tax IDs. Money gets shuffled around, 990s don't show anything, and municipalities can't put up much of a fight in regards to taxes, even though there's a LOT of shady poo poo going on at many systems, especially with rapid leadership changes due to consolidation. People are taking cuts, "consulting fees", heh. Non-profit my rear end.

And you can have fun supporting all these programs that require local admin and a different version of Java each, and everything being a goddamn emergency because a nurse doesn't want to walk a little bit extra.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skooma512 posted:

And you can have fun supporting all these programs that require local admin and a different version of Java each, and everything being a goddamn emergency because a nurse doesn't want to walk a little bit extra.

Doctors are far worse.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT HAVE A PRINTER WITHIN CHAIR SWIVEL DISTANCE I HAVE TO WALK 5 FT?! :psyboom:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Doctors are far worse.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT HAVE A PRINTER WITHIN CHAIR SWIVEL DISTANCE I HAVE TO WALK 5 FT?! :psyboom:

Doctors? Every sales person, administrative assistant above the plebeian level, and manager have all wanted that.

I seriously wonder about people that want to have something spit out of a small laser jet at their desk so that they don't have to walk 10 feet. I was supporting a place that had a remote office with 2 MFPs for about 45 users. Well, the user count went down to five so when the contract came up on the smaller one, it was closed out (the bigger one had fold, spindle, and mutilate options that were still needed).

The two sales guys complained like we had just killed their unborn children. They had to walk "across the building" when they were pressed for time. I went out there to see maybe there was an issue with where it was positioned. Nope! They complained about 40 feet in an open plan office! :shepicide:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You're really doing them a favor too. They're supposed to be getting up from their desk periodically to stretch and avoid fatigue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't really understand the need to print stuff anyway. I probably print less than 10 pages a month and half of that is because the ultra-modern process of completing expenses claims online hasn't yet reached us, so printed receipts and a signed Excel sheet it is!

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really understand the need to print stuff anyway. I probably print less than 10 pages a month and half of that is because the ultra-modern process of completing expenses claims online hasn't yet reached us, so printed receipts and a signed Excel sheet it is!

We have the same paper process, but I take a photo of my receipts every night, sign my expenses via iPad and Pencil and then lock the file with a digital signature and email it. Before the iPad Pro came along, I signed with my finger. It threw the processing center for a loop, but they eventually accepted it.

Then it gets printed by the processors. :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SaltLick posted:

Doctors are far worse.

Oh sweet Christ yes they are. I posted the other day about literally dancing while confiscating a VM from a doctor I despised because he no longer works my facility. So many have lovely attitudes for no good reason and aren't nearly as smart as they like to believe. Working in the medical field has dropped my respect for the medical field to zero.

http://www.network-node.com/blog/2016/5/19/careerjob-advice-and-observations

I found this blog post with some points on how to be successful in IT. What do you guys think of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Oh sweet Christ yes they are. I posted the other day about literally dancing while confiscating a VM from a doctor I despised because he no longer works my facility. So many have lovely attitudes for no good reason and aren't nearly as smart as they like to believe. Working in the medical field has dropped my respect for the medical field to zero.

http://www.network-node.com/blog/2016/5/19/careerjob-advice-and-observations

I found this blog post with some points on how to be successful in IT. What do you guys think of it?

It should be added to the OP because it's what we talk about pretty much every month in some form or another. Right down to the good and bad recruiters part