Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Animal posted:

drat, I didn't realize it had that turd. I hate that snake oil company. But the model with an Intel chip is not as good at other things. It's so hard to find a good mITX board.

There is this ASRock one for a similar price with the Intel NIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Animal posted:

drat, I didn't realize it had that turd. I hate that snake oil company. But the model with an Intel chip is not as good at other things. It's so hard to find a good mITX board.

This has come up at least twice now in the parts picking thread. Bigfoot Networks, who makes Killer NICs, was bought by Qualcomm and the Killer NICs are all standard Atheros GigE chips now. You can make it work normally with a normal driver, and all the Killer NIC stuff is optional utilities that you don't have to install.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

This has come up at least twice now in the parts picking thread. Bigfoot Networks, who makes Killer NICs, was bought by Qualcomm and the Killer NICs are all standard Atheros GigE chips now. You can make it work normally with a normal driver, and all the Killer NIC stuff is optional utilities that you don't have to install.

I hate to derail the GPU thread, but how's the Atheros comparing to Intel's NIC?

Either way the ASRock board seems to have more solid reviews than the Gigabyte.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Killer nics work fine now afaik. I avoided them but now I have one since I was convinced by many others it was a software issue that's been fixed for a good while

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tanreall posted:

Are Killer NICs better now or are they unstable still?

Is it even relevant? Do they even have drivers for anything but windows? This page mentions Ubuntu 14.04 which is obviously completely useless for anyone running different distributions or OS-es. For a network chipset this is unacceptable. Yes, modifying the alx driver is not a big deal, but still. This is not a NIC anyone should get anywhere near of.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Volguus posted:

Is it even relevant? Do they even have drivers for anything but windows? This page mentions Ubuntu 14.04 which is obviously completely useless for anyone running different distributions or OS-es. For a network chipset this is unacceptable. Yes, modifying the alx driver is not a big deal, but still. This is not a NIC anyone should get anywhere near of.

Yes it works you don't have to modify anything anymore

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but you may be paying for a feature that you arent using. Dont buy it if it costs more than a board without

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Animal posted:

Is PCIe 8x gonna bottleneck the Geforce 1080? I am building a new rig and thinking of putting an m.2 SSD drive which is gonna bring the video card from 16x to 8x. If it's gonna reduce performance, then I'll just get a regular SATA SSD.

No, that's what you would be getting anyway if you ran SLI. Although I also feel that Intel has been cheap as hell limiting their their consumer products to 16 lanes, and 28 or 40 lanes is definitely a major reason to consider jumping to the X99 platform instead of a high-end 4C8T.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It *might* at higher resolutions but a cursory search didn't show any PCI-E scaling for the 10x0 series cards I could find. I did find some info on the previous series where they showed x8 vs x16 on a GTX 980 making a negligible difference even at higher resolutions:

Actually typically lower resolutions tend to suffer more than higher resolutions. It takes roughly the same amount of time to update the GPU state regardless of resolution, while the higher the resolutions take longer to render, meaning that communication takes up correspondingly more of the frametime at higher framerates.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

So the successor to the "gently caress it we're stuffing a desktop 980 in this heatsink barge of a laptop", then? Desktop 1080 being 30% faster because of a TDP limit sounds plenty reasonable.

Looks like a 1080M to me, i.e. roughly desktop-1070 performance.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Animal posted:

I hate to derail the GPU thread, but how's the Atheros comparing to Intel's NIC?

Either way the ASRock board seems to have more solid reviews than the Gigabyte.

I don't know, my last two boards have used cheap Realtek chips. My source is this article: http://techreport.com/review/29144/revisiting-the-killer-nic-eight-years-on

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Volguus posted:

A perfectly good kext is available for those running Hackintoshes, if anybody cares. E220x and E2400 are both covered.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Fauxtool posted:

but you may be paying for a feature that you arent using. Dont buy it if it costs more than a board without

The problem is avoiding it can actually cost you money , which is the only reason I spent the time to figure out if it was still broken. The nic occupies a wide range of boards top to bottom. I have a feeling its actually cheaper to put on the motherboard imo
I have no idea if its better or worse than Intel's nic but if you're on the fence about buying a motherboard you otherwise want, I suggest researching it further at the very least.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From what I've been told, Killer NICs are fine, just don't use their lovely software.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, you can actually just install a plain old Atheros driver for most of em, no trace of dewritos 360 proscope networking installed whatsoever. And the Atheros chipset is actually a notch above most cheapo Realteks from what I've read.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Your favorite resident accent has released a "review" of the Founder's Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYnofz_JE

Good video, and this write-up touches on some of the same issues, albeit with bitterness and typos: http://www.overclock-and-game.com/news/pc-gaming/46-gtx-1080-what-s-not-being-discussed

I was honestly surprised at the Titan X's performance in AdoredTV's video.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

This is the kind of poo poo you keep in mind when the fire sales happen.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Newegg has their lineup of founders editions setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&N=8000&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PPSSVYJXPPLKEI

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Is it the case that all the partners thus far are running stock frequencies or is that just placeholder info?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Is it the case that all the partners thus far are running stock frequencies or is that just placeholder info?

Considering the reference cards have issues with throttling, I'm guessing that anything with a reference cooler will have stock clocks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Not like having an oc founds card matters unless you can't handle installing oc software

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Good video, and this write-up touches on some of the same issues, albeit with bitterness and typos: http://www.overclock-and-game.com/news/pc-gaming/46-gtx-1080-what-s-not-being-discussed

ugh , like, I had no plans to buy a FE 1080 but now I want to because this exists.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Alchenar posted:

It's just that Nvidia are calling reference cards founder,s edition and as such they are stock cooling and stock clocks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJ_pYHa1UM

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 21, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

ugh , like, I had no plans to buy a FE 1080 but now I want to because this exists.

Spite keeps star citizen going so why not this

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mikemelbrooks posted:

It's just that Nvidia are calling reference cards founder,s edition and as such they are stock cooling and stock clocks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJ_pYHa1UM

Ref cards have come with higher clocks before. Evga almost always has an SC ref card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

Ref cards have come with higher clocks before. Evga almost always has an SC ref card.

I thought the whole point of "reference" was that they were functionally identical. Do you just mean that it has a reference cooler?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Who is this person and why to they end their article by throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old who doesn't want to eat their dinner?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Those black blower boxes were not reference, only the silver ones branded Nvidia.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if the GTX 10x0 VR stuff comes "free" as part of the hardware/driver, or if it's something games will have to implement? VR is a big reason I've been holding off on a card upgrade. If we have to wait on devs to implement the VR performance boosts though, the spitting distance OC'd 980tis are hitting in some benchmarks sounds tempting. Gotta hit a Microcenter in a while and depending on what they have on sale/open box, impulse control might be hard.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Something that game developers with have to implement into their engines. Just like the new surround features they added for multiple monitors.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

teh_Broseph posted:

Anyone know if the GTX 10x0 VR stuff comes "free" as part of the hardware/driver, or if it's something games will have to implement? VR is a big reason I've been holding off on a card upgrade. If we have to wait on devs to implement the VR performance boosts though, the spitting distance OC'd 980tis are hitting in some benchmarks sounds tempting. Gotta hit a Microcenter in a while and depending on what they have on sale/open box, impulse control might be hard.

It would also need to be implemented by the VR SDK put out by the headset maker as well. I'm confident it will be, as nvidia has the money to pay to have it done or to do it themselves.

If you are making a purchasing decision based on that, then I'd stills ay waiting is worth it, as we don't know how well the feature will perform.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Evil Fluffy posted:

Who is this person and why to they end their article by throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old who doesn't want to eat their dinner?

I was thinking that. Needs to give up computers for a few years and go outside.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

sauer kraut posted:

Those black blower boxes were not reference, only the silver ones branded Nvidia.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4992-KR

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Huh, yeah that looks like something EVGA would do.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://www.cnetbeta.com/amd-radeon-r9-470x-specs-leaked/

Apparently a leak of the 470X specs? I guess? If it's true, that at least gives up a sense of where Polaris 10 should end up... maybe. June 1st cannot come fast enough.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That sounds like an awesome mainstream laptop GPU assuming the TDP is under control.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have no idea, and I don't know why he's being such a manbaby, but beneath all the tears are some relevant points.

In particular, I don't think anybody is thrilled to hear how poorly the reference cooler manages the card's heat, resulting in throttling after 10~20 minutes of gaming in, say, Battlefront. (But, unsurprisingly, great for benchmarking because benches don't go on long enough for the card to throttle).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Seamonster posted:

That sounds like an awesome mainstream laptop GPU assuming the TDP is under control.

As someone witha a 380x i can say its pretty nice, not 100% up to snuff for a 1080p ultrawide witcher but most other things it works just well.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm forseeing, as many others probably are as well, that there won't be a 1080 for $599. EVGA is already listing their current reference 1080 for $699 on their website. I mean, come on, why would any sane person sell it for $599 when they can sell it for the same price as Nvidia. Thereby making $100 more in profit.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

On that pcper interview with Tom from nvidia, the guy mentioned that evga would have a few non reference cards including a $599 card, a couple weeks after launch. He said someone from evga told him or something. I posted the link and the timestamp earlier in the thread. Fwiw

Also, they leaked some model names on their web site recently. Let me find it

E: http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2481905&p=1

None of those sound like a stock clocked non founder's, though. Wonder if one will be $599

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Uhh, possible 1080ti and 1060 spec leaks

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600793/chiphell-gtx-titan-for-pascal-gtx-1080ti-and-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked

E: GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition: $849
GTX 1080Ti Reference: $799
GTX Titan: $999 (Only comes as Founders Edition)

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 22, 2016