Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
how are y'all taking such big screenshots? i wanna share my house too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I haven't played in a while but I think you can go to the map and there's a tool you can use to save a large image by drawing a box around it.

You can also use this to find Plantera bulbs :mmmhmm:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

The screenshot tool lets you pin two opposite corners, and the 'take SNAPshot' button (not take SCREENshot) will capture anything inbetween the two pins as one concurrent image. So fly to the top left corner of your base, enter cam mode, and place one pin. Then go all the way to the bottom right corner, place the other pin, and take the snapshot!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blind Sally posted:

There's a screenshot mode. When you're in the inventory screen, it's one of the icons above your equipment slots -- like the NPC housing mode button.

In screenshot mode you have a "pin frame" mode and a "select frame" mode, I find select frame easier to use. Click on the screen to create a frame, whose borders you can drag around to extend or reduce. You can leave screenshot mode and return to it, the frame persists (until you use "reset frame". When everything you want captured is inside the frame, click on the "take snapshot" button and it'll create a PNG file with everything in it in the capture folder. If you don't know where that is, you've also got an "open folder" button that'll open an Explorer window there, so when you alt-tab out of the game you'll see them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Blind Sally posted:

On the pause menu, above the dye column is a thing called "Camera Mode." One of its features lets you select stuff on the map to take screenshots of.

The end result is a high definition image of whatever it is you selected. Like my floating sky castle tenement housing here.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do you guys find all the materials for building christ. I've been cutting logs for a while it feels, but I've only gotten a lovely rectangle.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Inventory editor :smugdog:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can you guys be more specific about taking pictures because I've taken like six snapshots now and it's still not showing me where to find them.

Nevermind, the wiki was specific enough for me to understand.

quote:

Both snapshots and screenshots are saved to /user/My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Captures, which can be accessed using the Open Folder function.

edit:

CJacobs posted:

I like the rooftop terrace thing you have going on with the fences! I am definitely not stealing it for use in my own base :ninja:

Hey, go for it! Here're some updated pictures of what my base actually looks like, while we're all sharing things.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 20, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Sweet, I forgot that was a button on my menu. Here's a shot of my cliffside mountain base and surrounding area. I'm gonna turn that space between the cliff and wood fort into an arena:

I've built a railway across the surface to either side of the world. The left side isn't much to look at. I've drained the ocean and am going to turn that into a base of some sort. Meanwhile, the one to the right I've turned a small station with an underground and underwater viewing tunnel. It's, uh, good for looking at sharks safely:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Sweet, I forgot that was a button on my menu. Here's a shot of my cliffside mountain base and surrounding area. I'm gonna turn that space between the cliff and wood fort into an arena:

I've built a railway across the surface to either side of the world. The left side isn't much to look at. I've drained the ocean and am going to turn that into a base of some sort. Meanwhile, the one to the right I've turned a small station with an underground and underwater viewing tunnel. It's, uh, good for looking at sharks safely:

:woop: Seeing this in person as my first Terraria experience ever was pretty nuts!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I always enjoy reading about new people playing through Terraria. Just discovering all the stuff in the game is so fun, and with these updates, there's even more stuff to do in the early game to make things much more fun. Man, I these trip reports made me want to start playing the game again.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

When I was making homes for NPCs, I had been making them all little individual cottages, but that took up tons of space.
If I want to make rooms within a larger building to house NPCs, do I just have to make sure it has a door/table/chair and torch?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Zombie Guy posted:

When I was making homes for NPCs, I had been making them all little individual cottages, but that took up tons of space.
If I want to make rooms within a larger building to house NPCs, do I just have to make sure it has a door/table/chair and torch?

Yep.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

Door or 2 platforms, table/chair/torch. Must contain at least 60 squares, counting the surrounding walls.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I like making my NPCs themed rooms with appropriate furniture. The dryad had a cactus house, the demolitionist got a dank basement looking room with a bunch of kegs and other bar furniture, and the party girl got a disco room with a couple of weird wire loops and 1 second timers flashing the gemspark blocks and walls :pcgaming:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I keep a 10 room tenement building for new arrivals but I try to build themed buildings or expansions for them the move into ASAP. Typically in themed groups, like the Wizard and Steampunker in a techno-wizard tower! The save I had before my HDD died on me had a neat li'l walled off town with all different kinds of buildings, but really that just lead to everyone dying repeatedly during invasions. This time I'm thinking about a wide, raised castle to try and keep everybody safe-ish at least.

On that note, any tips for building safe entries that won't have goblins spilling through?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

i am tim! posted:

On that note, any tips for building safe entries that won't have goblins spilling through?

Put the door two blocks (or more) above the outside floor: none of the NPCs will be able to open it.

Note that goblin wizards will still teleport willy-nilly inside your house.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Where do you guys find all the materials for building christ. I've been cutting logs for a while it feels, but I've only gotten a lovely rectangle.

symbolic posted:

Inventory editor :smugdog:

Yup :sweatdrop: only sometimes, if it's something that's complete bs to get (e.g. Krampus Horn Wallpaper, which is only sold during Christmas) or I need several thousand of it. Otherwise I'll get it myself.

Once I have an idea in mind (like a themed room for an NPC), I'll go look on the Terraria wiki for appropriate furnishings and decorations. You can easily see all the furniture, lights, walls, etc. in the game and get a good idea of what will work.

The other secret is paint! While the effect is generally subtle, you can accomplish some pretty neat effects and make it look like you've found exotic new materials. For example, I made one NPC's room look like it was on an alien planet by painting the windows with Negative Paint. I made another NPC's room look a little like an alchemist's workshop by taking Gold Disc Wall and using orange, yellow and green paint to make it look stained by chemicals.

Edit: For home defenses I set up a pit outside each door, which are trapped with pressure plates that trigger spiked ball traps. Then I used a relatively simple circuit to make a small bridge over the pits (and automatically open the door!) so I can easily walk in and out.
I don't recommend this setup -- it's killed many penguins, rabbits and traveling merchants. On the other hand, it works pretty well for killing hardmode mobs at night!

Solumin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 21, 2016

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

This is my floating tenement above a dilapidated ruin, looks like at some point I stripped it more than it had been.

And this is my attempt at making an upside down sky castle (I wanted crenellations on the upside down turrets but got lazy). Noteworthy only for the sheer amount of marble I had to harvest to make all the walls.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Solumin posted:

Yup :sweatdrop: only sometimes, if it's something that's complete bs to get (e.g. Krampus Horn Wallpaper, which is only sold during Christmas) or I need several thousand of it. Otherwise I'll get it myself.

Once I have an idea in mind (like a themed room for an NPC), I'll go look on the Terraria wiki for appropriate furnishings and decorations. You can easily see all the furniture, lights, walls, etc. in the game and get a good idea of what will work.

The other secret is paint! While the effect is generally subtle, you can accomplish some pretty neat effects and make it look like you've found exotic new materials. For example, I made one NPC's room look like it was on an alien planet by painting the windows with Negative Paint. I made another NPC's room look a little like an alchemist's workshop by taking Gold Disc Wall and using orange, yellow and green paint to make it look stained by chemicals.

Edit: For home defenses I set up a pit outside each door, which are trapped with pressure plates that trigger spiked ball traps. Then I used a relatively simple circuit to make a small bridge over the pits (and automatically open the door!) so I can easily walk in and out.
I don't recommend this setup -- it's killed many penguins, rabbits and traveling merchants. On the other hand, it works pretty well for killing hardmode mobs at night!

Killing traveling merchants isn't a bug of your setup! It is a feature. Always got to kill him before he leaves, because he doesn't stay in my horrible murder shacks!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

CJacobs posted:

The screenshot tool lets you pin two opposite corners, and the 'take SNAPshot' button (not take SCREENshot) will capture anything inbetween the two pins as one concurrent image. So fly to the top left corner of your base, enter cam mode, and place one pin. Then go all the way to the bottom right corner, place the other pin, and take the snapshot!

I did mine the ghetto way before you kids and your new-fangled screenshot tool. Taking multiple screenshots and hacking them together with duct tape and paperclips.

I think I still have my map files, I should go back and use the screenshot tool to take snapshots of some of my big worlds.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Theta Zero posted:

I did mine the ghetto way before you kids and your new-fangled screenshot tool. Taking multiple screenshots and hacking them together with duct tape and paperclips.

I think I still have my map files, I should go back and use the screenshot tool to take snapshots of some of my big worlds.

Look at you with your fancy glass walls. Back before 1.1 we had to live in houses with literal holes in the wall instead.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Hooray for my hovel this time around. Going to expand it down and out while keeping the whole hole theme.
Also platforms make the best room dividers, you get to walk through them but they still count.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Welp, mostly finished with the Ossuary. I might come back to it later when I get a better idea for the altar and the two spires...

As for materials, I, uh, gather them over the course of hours because I hate myself, although having almost all the items I had since Terraria was first released helps a lot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, very few people make their bases in one go. It's usually over the course of a few hours of playtime. You go out, mine and chop down trees and fight stuff and then you come back and build and shuffle things around before doing it again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This was my first world:

Everything in the red brick area was built with only slight attention to a plan or theming, and with mostly whatever blocks I could lay hands on.

This, however, was entirely planned:

I went in with a load of meteor and crimtane bricks, determined to build me a bitchin' UFO.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Okay so a bit of adventuring later, I spent some time touching things up just a tad.

Next up: Organize chests, get some better looking decor, make the rooms more thematic for their inhabitants.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Zoomed-out view of The CJacobs Home For The Mentally Incompetent. I put a bigass tower because every cool base has a tower. Next I'm gonna build wings off of the sides of the tower to add some more structural integrity and finish up with the NPC living spaces. I also need to make windows for the tower because what is a high-rear end room without a good view?

Just wanna say that tower is super cool and I really like the spiral stair thing you made. I never thought of using platforms like that so it seems really clever to me. Also enjoying the ongoing journeys going on in the thread.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
It's base time?

My completed main base ended up looking like this by the time I beat Moonlord:

There was also a separate sub-base I built further down that ended up being the arena I fought most of the hardmode bosses. Even early on before the wizard tower, mushroom forest, and other crap were built, the original cottage and island station were really good for fighting the destroyer.

Then far down the line I just hacked my inventory and used a ton of martian metal and gemspark stones and crap to build a submarine base that ended up screwing up the entire ocean and never got completed:

And on a completely different game I did something similar, and built a purely cosmetic village for my dudes to live in:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bluhman posted:

And on a completely different game I did something similar, and built a purely cosmetic village for my dudes to live in:

It's very cute and especially I like the little signposts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bluhman posted:

This is cool as hell.

Leonyth posted:

Just wanna say that tower is super cool and I really like the spiral stair thing you made. I never thought of using platforms like that so it seems really clever to me. Also enjoying the ongoing journeys going on in the thread.

Thanks, I've done a bit of decoration since that post but nothing noteworthy as I spent most of the day yesterday landscaping my own yard instead of my Terraria yard. :shepface:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well I decided to make a new character, and one of the earlier things I got form the traveling merchant was the rare creature finder.

And then, when I was not even IN the ice caverns, it said there was a "lost girl" around, so I have finally killed a nymph and gotten a metal detector! :toot:

Raiding my old character's stuff I appear to be missing a fish finder to make a GPS, sadly.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Dareon posted:

This, however, was entirely planned:

I went in with a load of meteor and crimtane bricks, determined to build me a bitchin' UFO.

I also made a sweet UFO, though it's quite a bit more cramped than yours.

It is accessible only by teleporter.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Those martian doors ironically look perfect for bulkheads on a submarine. I hope a planned addition to the game is furniture for the early metals. You can make bathroom fixtures out of iron/lead (Leading to the amusing situation of a goblin living in my bathroom), but I'd like to see some copper stuff expanding the steampunk aesthetic.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

That's my main base. The main ship is home for everyone, sans the mushroom guy who lives in an underground vault and the tax collector who lives on his own on the skyship carrying the air lake. To the right you can just make out the beginning of a track that crosses a third of the entire large size map and leads to the sea, and just below the mushroom vault is a fortified cave and cavern lake area so I can fish in peace.

As an aside, if anyone has any idea of how to actually create a desert biome, that'd be great. Just piling sand up doesn't trigger it.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

King Doom posted:

As an aside, if anyone has any idea of how to actually create a desert biome, that'd be great. Just piling sand up doesn't trigger it.

Yes it does, but it takes an epic fuckton of sand, way more than you have in that boat. 1000 blocks, to be precise.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Sjonnar posted:

Yes it does, but it takes an epic fuckton of sand, way more than you have in that boat. 1000 blocks, to be precise.

If I remember right, back when I built that all the info I could find said that 400 or so would work. Looks like I have a bit of building to do! Doubling the length of the boat should fix it I think. Maybe make an ocean biome boat as well, if that's possible...

Edit: I forgot to mention this earlier, but for people just starting hardmode for the first time it might be worth running to a lake in the jungle, corruption/crimson or hallow and building a little bunker you can sit inside and fish in safety. Aside from crates there's some new toys you might find that aren't exactly terrible.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 21, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I was so happy that I got the four different Emblems on my first four fights with the Wall of Flesh during this solo run until I remembered that they changed the recipe for the Avenger Emblem. Now you need to defeat the Mechanical Bosses and get the five of each three souls in order to craft it.

Thank you, devs, for making early hardmode even more tedious. :cripes:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Figured out how operate teleporters. I am now in the process in setting up shortcuts between all my bases--literally from one end of my world to the other. Thankfully I have the railway system to quickly build it. This game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

King Doom posted:

Maybe make an ocean biome boat as well, if that's possible...

It's technically possible, but since the ocean biome can only exist on the edges of the map, there's no point.You'd have to build your ocean biome boat over the actual ocean biome.