Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Mayweather's been talking about it more than Conor has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Well that is a lot of money for what would be some incredibly easy work for Mayweather.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

vainman posted:

Has Mayweather said anything at all or is it just McGregor using his name?

http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/20/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight/

My friend, it never stops.

The only upside about this happening (which it can't and won't) is that it would be fun to see Floyd KO somebody again.

In other news, GGG has been called out by Gilberto Ramirez, BJS, Eubank Jr and Erislandy Lara

Jump King fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 20, 2016

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lara vs ggg is a legit Good Fight imho

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So if Canelo is vacating, who fights for the belt? Is there something like a list of contenders?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They just said gently caress it and gave it GGG. All the organisations have their own list of rankings, this is the WBCs (not updated yet) http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/ratings?layout=edit&id=145

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Allen Wren posted:

So if Canelo is vacating, who fights for the belt? Is there something like a list of contenders?

Golovkin has been promoted to "full" champion. The top 5 contenders in the wbc rankings are Jorge Heiland (ko of Macklin), Arif Magomedov (???), Chris Eubank jr. , David Lemeiux and Michel Soro (tko of Glen Tapia)

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 20, 2016

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Eubank Jr has re-signed with Eddie Hearn so there'll be no Billy Joe Saunders rematch any time soon, I reckon Golovkin will offer Saunders big money so he can hold all the belts

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm torn between wanting the Lara fight because Lara is extremely good and Saunders so Golovkin can unify. No doubt we'll get ggg vs some guy.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anyone watching Parker Takam?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah it's on live over here for some reason

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'm watching it but I know nothing about boxing. Very hard for me to tell who's doing better. Anyone got any comments?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Parker is winning it quite comfortably, looks good at distance, tends to stay in the pocket with his hands down when it's up close though

e: Parker gassing?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Jesus, that was nasty!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Pretty good win for Parker in context but I don't think AJ will be at all worried.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
For someone who only has a passing (poo poo) knowledge on boxing, how good is GGG? And why are boxers like Canelo openly allowed to duck him? I've never understood the freedom boxers have to pick and choose their opponents instead of fighting the best available

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

For someone who only has a passing (poo poo) knowledge on boxing, how good is GGG? And why are boxers like Canelo openly allowed to duck him? I've never understood the freedom boxers have to pick and choose their opponents instead of fighting the best available

Well boxers can duck one another because unlike the UFC its a bunch of different promotions. Fighters often look for the biggest purses but promotions also protect them. And, I suppose, its human nature to want to avoid hard fights if you can.

As to GGG. Has a ton of power, cuts off the ring as good as anybody. Has a chin of granite.

Basically, he's at his peak. You're probably gonna get knocked out or get beat up so bad it'll take years off your life.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

GGG is very, very good. It's tough to say how good, since we rarely see him against elite opposition, but he's destroyed every fighter he's faced and made good ones look like garbage in the process. Without moving up 1-2 divisions, there's nobody who would be a betting favourite to beat him.

In the case of Canelo, this is boxing functioning at its best actually. For Canelo to duck GGG, he had to vacate his championship title, which obviously comes at a substantial cost to him. There are lots of occasions in boxing where fighters have been able to duck without much in the way of consequence.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So with Canelo-GGG seemingly not happening and Wilder-Povetkin not happening, the best fights for this summer are:

• Thurman-Porter
  • Fury-Klitschko
  • Crawford-Postol
  • Brook-Vargas

Which kind of sucks, those are alright match-ups and fights but we really either could have done with a bigger fight or slightly more. Thurman-Porter is decent and will help winnow the welterweights, but it's been delayed so long it's hard to be too excited for it. Fury-Klit is fine, but since it's a rematch it lacks some of the lustre of the first fight and the result is a little unexciting either way. If Fury wins again, then it feels like this rematch was just wasted time, if Fury loses then it really removes the thunder of the most ground shaking change up in the heavyweight division. Crawford-Postol is a really good match-up between two under appreciated fighters. Can't complain really, except that it's less of an event because of the fighters' popularity combined with the PPV aspect. Brook-Vargas was just announced, it's good to see Brook get a decent fight for once. A unification is always appreciated, and hopefully this helps set up the winner for better things in the future. It's a little like Crawford-Postol in that the fighters lack the popularity to make it an event, but you can't really complain about the fight itself.

All in all, it seems like a bit of busy work to churn through this summer.

E: I forgot about Santa Cruz-Frampton, should be interesting.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

boxing died the day it became clear we would never get froch vs golovkin tbh. god imagine that fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Call me stupid, but I think it's still possible we'll see Canelo-GGG, maybe next year. I don't think Canelo's going to be too comfortable after this, certainly his reputation has taken a huge hit. He doesn't strike me as somebody exclusively after money, but I can't imagine his fights post title vacation will be making more money than a GGG fight either. Similarly, I'm not sure he can really put together a great roster of opponents. He shouldn't really take on people GGG's already beaten, because then he clearly looks like he's taking GGG's seconds and probably isn't going to look as good doing it. Even worse, If he gets upset in a fight against Stevens or Lemieux then he's basically done unless he can beat GGG. If he doesn't want to ever fight GGG then he could continue to fight welterweights and light middleweights, but I can't imagine he's eager to jump back in with Lara, and I can't imagine too many welterweights with the foolhardy ambition of Khan who'd be willing to jump up without even getting a title shot.

I think he's waiting it out to gain every advantage he can, but he pretty unambiguously looks like a chump right now. His best bet, should this be possible, would be challenging Saunders for the belt and walking into May or September of next year for an undisputed unification fight. That would probably be worth twice as much as it would be this year and he can set up for a rematch immediately after. Meanwhile GGG can fight Eubank and Jacobs or some guy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm still holding hope that fight happens in September. Canelo's a prideful guy who values his reputation, I don't think he'll want to go another year with his Mexican fans calling him a ducking bitch. There are some good opponents out there for him that aren't GGG (Bradley, Cotto rematch, Pacquiao, Mayweather) but none of them besides Cotto are in his own division at 154 lb, and I don't think there's any real public demand for Canelo-Cotto II.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
David Haye is fighting someone tonight

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

willie_dee posted:

David Haye is fighting someone tonight

I think you'll find that someone is the EBU-EE European heavyweight champion Arnold Gjergjaj.

It is being showed on Dave, also known as the Top Gear re-run channel.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Not just anybody, The Undefeated Cobra.

And with do respect to Canelo, he's not not a 154lber anymore. He's pushing his catch weights right now as well. I think he'd gladly be up at 160 right now if he wasn't trying to get an edge over GGG.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
shoutouts to joe martinez announcing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what time does it start?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jose posted:

what time does it start?

Supposedly at 10.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

shannon briggs is the best thing in boxing with daylight second

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
let us go champ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MrBling posted:

Supposedly at 10.

teh fight or the tv start because i'm falling asleep already

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i can 't believe it... at 69 years old shannon briggs has beaten THE [mumbles incoherently]

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol at that opponent though. he didn't even look like a boxer bless him

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They need to sort the sound out by the looks of it, c'mon DAVE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao at that audience reaction

Lmao at the commentator reaction

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Swiss Arnold is bad and dead. That was quite the punch he ate right from the beginning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What wsd the point in that

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The vibrant legacy of heavyweight boxing has been preserved.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jose posted:

What wsd the point in that

Yeah, exactly. Who cares that haye can beat up some bum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What's happening? I'm too lazy to find a stream for a fight that's probably already over.

• Locked thread