Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
poo poo, I thought those were supposed to be weird muscular arms on the crossguard.

I'm staying the hell out of that other thread and the rest of this forum then. I like my surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Teen Titans redesigns

Gotta say, they all look pretty good but that Damian design is really poppin' to me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that Raven design is better than the last one but she could be wearing an actual flaming garbage bag and it'd have been better than her last design

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well at least they are realizing that making everyone an edgelord was dumb last time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of weird for Starfire to be on Teen Titans to me. I know the reason but still. (Also they can't get Cyborg back on Teen Titans.)

I like that Beast Boy though!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've really enjoyed American Alien and Lois and Clark after not reading Superman in a long while so to kind of prepare myself for the Rebirth Superman I decided to grab all the of the recent Final Days of Superman comics from Comixology last night. I've never been that big a fan of Tomasi and honestly wasn't that excited when his name popped up as the writer for Superman in Rebirth. But I have to say, even though I'm a little lost going in I really like way this story is told. And it makes me more excited for his book in Rebirth.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I like that Beast Boy though!

I like that the civilian concept is a nod to his Teen Titans/TTG duds but it just makes me want him in the black and purple again :sigh:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

Teen Titans redesigns

Gotta say, they all look pretty good but that Damian design is really poppin' to me.

THICK, BLACK lightning bolts

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I quite like that Raven design. Way better than the New 52 one, that's for drat sure. I also like Robin, even if it's somewhat ornate (I also like that he's not pasty white). That's a good Beast Boy too, although I gotta say I really love that civilian design for him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would actually like to see Damian even more ornate. Like a cross between gold-trimmed, regal Ra's al Ghul look and his usual Robin colors. He thinks of himself as a Prince, I can really see him raiding the League of Assassin's treasure room for gaudy, pointless accessories to look the part.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I've really enjoyed American Alien and Lois and Clark after not reading Superman in a long while so to kind of prepare myself for the Rebirth Superman I decided to grab all the of the recent Final Days of Superman comics from Comixology last night. I've never been that big a fan of Tomasi and honestly wasn't that excited when his name popped up as the writer for Superman in Rebirth. But I have to say, even though I'm a little lost going in I really like way this story is told. And it makes me more excited for his book in Rebirth.

I've found Final Days really, really flat and haven't found much of Tomasi's particularly inspired except for Green Lantern Corps (e:pre-Flashpoint) and Batman & Robin (though House of Penance is off to a great start.) I think those comics are pretty dynamite and there's real magic in the collaboration with Pat Gleason.
On the other hand, with Doug Mahnke, one of my all-time favourites and kinda the granddaddy of Gleason's style, his Superman/Wonder Woman was brutally dull, and now they're gonna alternate on Superman, so I dunno.
I'm definitely still more optimistic than worried.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 22, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just like the whole way that Superman has made peace with his death, even though all his friends are trying to do something to prevent it. He's just set on making sure that his business is wrapped up, that his friends know how much that he cared for them, and that he wants to make sure the world is safe after he's gone. There's no race for a cure or anything, it's more about the relationships between the characters. And as someone that hasn't been following the books maybe it rings truer to me because I'm filling in the blanks on their relationships myself instead of relying on stories in the past that maybe didn't do it so well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It seems really hypocritical, but Starfire in a full one-piece looks weird. I don't think she's ever had a costume that didn't bare her midriff, even in the cartoon.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
"hair always on fire" is the kind of perfect sentence that I'm way the gently caress into

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ElNarez posted:

"hair always on fire" is the kind of perfect sentence that I'm way the gently caress into

If Starfire is ever drawn without her hair aflame, George Perez sheds a single, perfect tear.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I feel like the Kid Flash design suffers from short hair. Seems to defeat the purpose of an open cowl.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I feel like the Kid Flash design suffers from short hair. Seems to defeat the purpose of an open cowl.

but how else are they going to show off the lightning bolt shaved into his 'do that won't make it hard to figure out who Kid Flash is, nosir

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Four Score posted:

but how else are they going to show off the lightning bolt shaved into his 'do that won't make it hard to figure out who Kid Flash is, nosir

You're right. I shouldn't have been so foolish!

But yeah I assume with stuff like that they are in civilian clothes at times, what with the civilian clothes mockups there. Maybe I'm too used to the Bart/Wally Kid Flash costumes with the flowing hair while running schtick being the point of the cowl.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
His hair grows back in to cover that spot when he's out of costume.

Something Speed Force something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four Score posted:

He's fast enough that nobody will ever see that except maybe his teammates and the villains and the villains aren't going to put that puzzle together.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Raven's civilian gimmick that she's literally from 1980 and missed everything since Marv Wolfman created her? Because I don't think I've even seen someone wearing a Frankie Goes To Hollywood shirt ironically in like 15 years.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm sure Tamaran or STAR Labs or whoever could minimize the tech easily, but I'm laughing at Starfire's weird half-palm-size bolt-head tech compartments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most of the redesigns are shockingly good. What the hell DC?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think my only complaint is I don't like the bare shoulders and gap between the thigh high boots and the one-piece on Starfire. Her outfit covers enough of her that those bare spots just stand out weirdly. Like I said though, that's my sole complaint out of all the Titans outfits and I still like her outfit in spite of it. Plus her civilian outfit looks great.

I did think that Donna's New52 outfit was fine and the redesign feels like a sideways change.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

:swoon:

This might be my favorite Starfire costume ever.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Rhyno posted:

Most of the redesigns are shockingly good. What the hell DC?

Jim Lee was locked in a closet for two days while they hammered these out?

Edit: Also, I love Starfire's civilian clothes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BigRed0427 posted:

I like it when somebody designs a good costume and then they put out a model sheet where they let Jim Lee fart all over it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

BigRed0427 posted:

They should just keep her in civilian clothes. After a while comic book aliens don't seem that out of the ordinary, but putting one in basic human clothes makes a good contrast. Kind of like how everyone goes nuts for Vision in a sweater.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The others look fine. but like others I agree that Kid Flash having an opened top just does not look good on him. It does not work without hair.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

The others look fine. but like others I agree that Kid Flash having an opened top just does not look good on him. It does not work without hair.

He's got hair. You racist.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

So black people hair isn't hair?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dexie posted:

:swoon:

This might be my favorite Starfire costume ever.

I like the one she has now, but that might also be because she's drawn so well. The new one seems good though, the "tech compartment" golfballs aside.

The other redesigns look good too, but then anything would be better than what Raven has/is now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CBR has a 12-page preview of Rebirth:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/1-dc-comics-2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Good news for anyone who likes the digital Legend of Wonder Woman: DC has approved a sequel. With this, Greg Rucka's return and the movie, it's an all around good time to be a Wonder Woman fan.

And if you don't like, then you clearly haven't read it. Go do so.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Abhay Khosla's Case Against Dan Didio.
Probably not news to most comics goons, but nice to see it all documented in one place like this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Probably not news to most comics goons, but nice to see it all documented in one place like this.
Interesting article, though I kind of dislike the market share comparisons. It acts like Didio is responsible for the drops, but there are a lot of factors to consider. If DC and Image were the only two companies in the race that would be one thing, but Marvel is a huge competitor as well and you got plenty of other smaller publishers (Dark Horse, Oni Press, BOOM, etc.) And I would say DC's falls are far more correlated with Marvel's rise, as opposed to Image which takes a bit from both (since the company is basically comprised of creators who left the Big Two.)

That aside, the original article its a response to isn't really about the value of Didio's worth. It's more about how ready people are to jump down the throats of executives, even based on small unsubstantiated claims coming from the rumor mill (which, ironically, Bleeding Cool is a large part of.) That and how it feels like the Big Two are more about churning out big shock moments, constant relaunches for short term gains, than about making solid stories that will stand the test of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

Am I mis-remembering or didn't Didio have an affair with an artist's wife some years back? And that artist allegedly tackled him at a convention when he found out?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
There was a fairly persistent rumor around the time of Final Crisis, that Didio had an affair with JG Jones's wife, which was why he didn't finish out the series. Insofar as I'm aware that rumor was never substantiated, but I believe she did work with DC in a position fairly close to Didio at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dreqqus posted:

There was a fairly persistent rumor around the time of Final Crisis, that Didio had an affair with JG Jones's wife, which was why he didn't finish out the series. Insofar as I'm aware that rumor was never substantiated, but I believe she did work with DC in a position fairly close to Didio at the time.

Has JG worked for DC since then? The BSS mod at the time basically threw the hammer down and said the topic was forbidden so there was no discussion of it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
He did a bunch of covers for Frankenstein at the start of the new 52, and I think he did interiors for one of the Before Watchmen book?