Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh, that is totally where the story is going. But if it gets continued past that point, there is a new(ish) and more dangerous villain than Shigaraki waiting in the wings. A41 needs to stay the gently caress out of dodge while Deku develops, and killing him off would be the easiest way to do so. But once Shigaraki is taken care of, a41 could end up back on the table. I don't really think that is likely, but it is a possibility albeit one that is years away. We'll see how much Horikoshi likes having a successful series after all those failures, I guess.

if All Might, and All for One both die, I'd guess Shigaraki is getting the AfO quirk, and will be able to actually create monsters more powerful than his own self. AfO and OfA seem too intrinsically tied thematically to disappear out of the story.

If AfO does survive, he'll probably just linger and facilitate evil with his quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HenryEx posted:

There's gonna be a reason that AfO raises a successor (other than "but OfA is doing it too!" of course), and the reason will remove him from the playing field in the near future

problem solved

Well All for One has no face and needs life support to live. He's pretty hosed up. I think by the end of this arc, even if neither AfO and OfA are dead they won't be fighting any time soon, leaving Deku and Shigaraki to take the center stage.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I think All Might may well survive this encounter. The dramatic tension right now is pointing to some great failure on his part, but he's already suffered a major setback with his weakness being revealed in public. He's now being separated from Deku as well. They have more interaction to do before he bites it.

And on the other side, I would be very surprised if AfO died here. This is an introduction scene. We've barely met the character before. It would be really weird pointless to immediately kill him.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Peel posted:

I think All Might may well survive this encounter. The dramatic tension right now is pointing to some great failure on his part, but he's already suffered a major setback with his weakness being revealed in public. He's now being separated from Deku as well. They have more interaction to do before he bites it.

And on the other side, I would be very surprised if AfO died here. This is an introduction scene. We've barely met the character before. It would be really weird pointless to immediately kill him.

I just hope Horikoshi-sensei keeps up the pace and doesn't retread too much. It'd be an amazing way for both of them to go out... but I'm not a monster, who could root for the death of All Might? not me. If/When All Might does vanish, the series will feel weird without him.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
im interested to see if the series deals with the massive amount of collateral damage that's occurring because of the fight because all for one destroyed like a city block right out of the gate

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

He wouldn't even need to recruit quirkless people. Just find someone with a lovely quirk, take away their lovely quirk, and give them a new good quirk.

And hell, if he's using some sort of connection to the medical profession, as looks maybe possible, to steal good quirks from the young he could just throw away the lovely quirks he keeps accumulating into the kids he takes good quirks away from. It'd end up just looking like the quality of quirks is going down over time and would functionally preemptively weaken his (possible) foes and victims while strengthening himself and his allies.

Taking someone's quirk seems to really gently caress them up. Ragdoll is drat near a vegetable. Giving people quirks didn't seem to be a walk in the park either judging by the flashback to the first recipient of One for All. I believe All Might even said that not everyone can even handle having a quirk given to them.

All for One and the One for All line of succession seem to be about the only people who can take a new quirk with little impact on themselves.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

Taking someone's quirk seems to really gently caress them up. Ragdoll is drat near a vegetable. Giving people quirks didn't seem to be a walk in the park either judging by the flashback to the first recipient of One for All. I believe All Might even said that not everyone can even handle having a quirk given to them.

All for One and the One for All line of succession seem to be about the only people who can take a new quirk with little impact on themselves.

On the other hand, if one of the two heads of the Villain Alliance decided to waste-not-want-not with a now quirkless person, it could be that Ragdoll was sedated in preparation for Nomu-fication. In that case it's less the loss and more that she's probably had enough narcotics pumped into her that she's gonna wake up a day or two later with some really bad news waiting for her.

Or bad but less bad than expected news that she now has some different quirk that is going to take some time getting used to. Or quirks, but in that case they probably merged and so it wouldn't be 'visible' as two quirks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

I wouldn't say that deku constantly breaking all of his bones counts as little impact

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

Generally if one wants to keep an accomplished super hero captive, especially one who never had a combat related power to rely on, it might be best to sedate them.

We also don't know what the Nomu might have done to ragdoll in order to subdue her in the first place. She could be in a coma from the beating she received for all we know.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 22, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno what the criteria are for converting someone into a noumu vs. taking their quirk to put into noumus. I guess they just kill the latter when they are done with them?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Part of me is actually hoping that the previous One For All holder is in fact a woman because I wanna see a female version of All Might complete with the different art style.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Part of me is actually hoping that the previous One For All holder is in fact a woman because I wanna see a female version of All Might complete with the different art style.

Has to have the exact same grin tho

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if All Might wins here but ends up getting vaporized by Shigaraki sooner or later. I think Shigaraki is well aware of what happened in the past, so even though All for One is a father figure to him, he probably still wanted to kill him at some point. All for One did say he is a rather twisted kid. If All Might takes that possibility away from him, he'd have even more reason to hate him. And it would firmly establish his villain credentials.

Seeing as how All Might nearly killed All for One in their previous fight, it seems unlikely that All for One picked up Shigaraki right after. Maybe he was brought to an orphanage and accidently ended up killing someone after his quirk awoke, bringing him to the attention of All for One.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 23, 2016

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't look at all like All Might

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Aurora posted:

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't look at all like All Might

Just whack lipstick onto All Might, who cares!

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

I dunno what the criteria are for converting someone into a noumu vs. taking their quirk to put into noumus. I guess they just kill the latter when they are done with them?

The noumus have DNA from multiple people implanted in them, so that's part of the process. Their heads somewhat resemble All for One, maybe they get the DNA of All for One plus DNA of the original quirk owners?

After the last Stain fight All Might and Deku talk about One for All and a single panel shows All Might getting a box of chocolates from a girl while he mentions that One for All can be forced on someone. Wouldn't be the first time that a character is 'introduced' that way. She is a young girl... but giving away OfA might not be lethal by itself.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was just a visual aid. All Might did not gain his quirk by forcibly being fed chocolate. Considering that All Might was apparently both quirkless and swole as hell from the start, I doubt his predecessor had to work very hard to convince him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Piriwi posted:

The noumus have DNA from multiple people implanted in them, so that's part of the process. Their heads somewhat resemble All for One, maybe they get the DNA of All for One plus DNA of the original quirk owners?

After the last Stain fight All Might and Deku talk about One for All and a single panel shows All Might getting a box of chocolates from a girl while he mentions that One for All can be forced on someone. Wouldn't be the first time that a character is 'introduced' that way. She is a young girl... but giving away OfA might not be lethal by itself.
D'you remember which page that was?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Her hair could be Shigaraki colored.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buff Might.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I like to imagine that girl is All Might's predecessor now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yes i think thats the joke

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Countblanc posted:

yes i think thats the joke

if it was a joke it went right over my head.

Piriwi posted:

this dude seemed to think that the one panel visual gag character was really shigaraki's mom and that she put her dna in chocolate that she fed to all might during high school.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So from the official english release AfO loses his warping powers when allmight crushes his arm, he previously said something about losing his "stock" from the previous beating. Maybe as he takes damage he loses powers since he can no longer safely hold onto them?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't believe a girl would ever be shy about confessing her love for the beautiful and gallant All Might, regardless of him being All Might at the time or not.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

this dude seemed to think that the one panel visual gag character was really shigaraki's mom and that she put her dna in chocolate that she fed to all might during high school.

That doesn't sound hygienic.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Say Nothing posted:

That doesn't sound hygienic.

rip shimoneta

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

All Might fed his hair to a child

She learned degeneracy from him

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hair boner

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I think the imaginary girl is just shy about being obligated to give a box of chocolates to a giant muscle man who is clearly confused about the concept of Obligation Chocolates. That's the joke.

We've yet to get an All Might flashback to explain his true origin and his friend who died or whatever, I wonder if the series will do that. We haven't delved too deeply into character flashbacks before, right? Just some bits and pieces.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Nah... rather that the creator has introduced characters that turned out to have appeared in these type of single narrative panels before. Maybe he has a vague idea ahead of time and includes it, or he goes back and bases a character design on a single panel appearance. Plenty of artists do that sort of thing...e.g. 'Oda does it again!' Doesn't mean it necessarily has to be the case here...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

I think the imaginary girl is just shy about being obligated to give a box of chocolates to a giant muscle man who is clearly confused about the concept of Obligation Chocolates. That's the joke.

We've yet to get an All Might flashback to explain his true origin and his friend who died or whatever, I wonder if the series will do that. We haven't delved too deeply into character flashbacks before, right? Just some bits and pieces.

I assumed that the joke was a typical "girl likes a guy and wants to give him chocolates, but isn't willing to actually confess so she tells him they're just obligation chocolates" trope that shows up somewhat frequently in manga/anime. The only way it relates to the transmissions of OfA is that it involves a person giving something to an unwitting recipient.

Also, it seems from those images of All Might training that he wasn't always super buff. He's clearly in good shape in those pictures, but not looking like a giant muscle man. It seems like logically this would imply that Deku needs to also get super buff to fully utilize OfA, though I seriously doubt there'll be any radical change to his character design that make him look much more buff than he currently is.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ultra Buff Deku would be the best thing ever

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Ultra Buff Deku would be the best thing ever

Through the use of transformations, he could have all the powers of a little cute dude, and also of a super buff dude. Does even All For One have that much power? I doubt it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ytlaya posted:

I assumed that the joke was a typical "girl likes a guy and wants to give him chocolates, but isn't willing to actually confess so she tells him they're just obligation chocolates" trope that shows up somewhat frequently in manga/anime. The only way it relates to the transmissions of OfA is that it involves a person giving something to an unwitting recipient.

Also, it seems from those images of All Might training that he wasn't always super buff. He's clearly in good shape in those pictures, but not looking like a giant muscle man. It seems like logically this would imply that Deku needs to also get super buff to fully utilize OfA, though I seriously doubt there'll be any radical change to his character design that make him look much more buff than he currently is.

Obligation Chocolates are real though, not just an anime thing. Yeah you can have characters in anime be 'tsundere' and be like 'they're only obligation chocolates , baka!" or whatever. I think it's just a silly gag.

All Might uses the OfA to make himself buff... but the series seems to strongly hint that OfA works differently for Deku than it does for All Might.. like his full cowl solution etc.. I just don't think we're gonna see mega-ripped body-builder Deku, unless he figures out how to do the OfA posture buff that All Might uses ..... which would be a pretty funny gag.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

(TL;DR, nebbish has something like a myostatin gene missing.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space-Bird posted:

All Might uses the OfA to make himself buff... but the series seems to strongly hint that OfA works differently for Deku than it does for All Might..

It doesn't. Deku just keeps trying to rush things by being so darned self-sacrificing all the time, and his lack of proper training/physical conditioning combined with OfA's incremental power gain is ripping his body apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ytlaya posted:

It could be something like that History's Strongest Disciple Series; to keep the protagonist kind of shrimpy and tiny they had this long explanation that his specialized training regimen had modified all the muscle in his body to give him the power of a massive muscle hunk but compressed into his normal body.