Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

How do sages work with injuries? If I visit a sage can I skip on cleaning and dressing them for that day or do I do all 3?

I've been doing these runaway slave starts and on the latest I got away pretty cleanly, came back and killed three njerpaz but ended up with injuries totalling 55% penalty, one of which is serious.
The way I read it is successive treatments are rerolling the dice for that day's healing. So if you clean it and get a good outlook, you can stop, or reroll the chance with dressing to see if you improve the outlook. The best outlooks then have a high chance of healing the injury by 1% at the turn of the following day.

And then a sage is always the best roll you can get on all your injuries so if you have the ability to, laying about town while healing up is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

:siren: Hello patch 3.32! :siren:

Steam will auto-update, if you're a cheapskate go grab it from the main site for free. As usual, savegames are compatible but the new stuff might not be completely retroactive so starting a new game works best if you want to enjoy all the new features.

Dev nutrition for the past few months has been insufficient, consider donating a few bucks or getting the steam version guys. They must have neglected their fishing skill at chargen!

Full changelog, but here's the highlights (lots of exploits are gone and much stuff has been fixed):

quote:

- added: need to pay companions & companion inventory restrictions

* companion inventory restrictions

You can't anymore freely pick all the items of your companions to yourself.

* need to pay companions for their days of service and items claimed

Companions now require some reward for their days of service. Their price is roughly a value of one squirrel
hide per day of service and you can pay them basically with any valuable goods.

- fixed: bears (and possibly other creatures too) occasionally entering into indecisive fighting mode

They might keep constantly switching between attacking and fleeing without really making any
attack maneuvers. Fixed now.

- adjusted: tiny increase in lynx and glutton aggressiveness potential, especially in case of them being wounded.

- added: daily tolerance for stimulant herbal effect

Consuming stimulants doesn't anymore decrease the exhaustion seemingly indefinitely, but stops when
a certain daily level is reached.

- tweaked: net fishing

* catch check time window now hourly based

Net fishing catch checks are now hourly based instead of previously used morning based checks.
This means you can catch fish with nets within a shorter time window. Even within an hour from
setting the net - if you're lucky and the conditions are right.

* gradual catch spoilage

Catch spoilage due to fish eventually dying in unretrieved nets is now gradual. You may still be
able to get some of catch good and edible even if the nets have been left unretrieved for days.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 19, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The net change makes nets even more awesome than they already were. I was always accidentally grabbing my nets just a couple hours too early/late.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Do the different cultures roll stats like strength and all that differently? What about skills? How is the number of * by a skill determined at character creation?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

Do the different cultures roll stats like strength and all that differently? What about skills? How is the number of * by a skill determined at character creation?

This page has a pretty thorough breakdown. In fact, a lot of useful under the hood info is contained there.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Wow it really seems like kaumo and owl tribe gets high stats and good skill bonuses. I made a driik guy and I noticed immediately that my stat rolls weren't great and I didn't have any *** skills, only * and **. I guess they can start with a crossbow though which might be good?

Owl tribe stats seem focused on survival, vision, hearing & taste which is good for hunting/gathering but not so great for njerpaz hunting, which is what I really like to do in this game.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 20, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Molybdenum posted:

Wow it really seems like kaumo and owl tribe gets high stats and good skill bonuses. I made a driik guy and I noticed immediately that my stat rolls weren't great and I didn't have any *** skills, only * and **. I guess they can start with a crossbow though which might be good?

Owl tribe stats seem focused on survival, vision, hearing & taste which is good for hunting/gathering but not so great for njerpaz hunting, which is what I really like to do in this game.

Yeah kaumo is easy mode (if you like fighting at least, they're the best warriors by far if you don't mind a lower starting sword skill) and Driik is shoot yourself in the foot mode.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

After a long hunt, I managed to track and kill my first reindeer. Is this game supposed to make you ponder about the brutality of life? Pounding the poor crippled animal's skull for five minutes with my axe handle made me feel rather uncomfortable :v:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Oh god, this is still around, I bought it like.. ten years ago? Does my old serial key still work? :v:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Police Automaton posted:

Oh god, this is still around, I bought it like.. ten years ago? Does my old serial key still work? :v:

If it doesn't the game is free to download on the developers site.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Trogdos! posted:

After a long hunt, I managed to track and kill my first reindeer. Is this game supposed to make you ponder about the brutality of life? Pounding the poor crippled animal's skull for five minutes with my axe handle made me feel rather uncomfortable :v:
You monster.

On ungulates you can get away with tons of piercing wounds to the legs, head, and neck, or some slashing wounds to the head and neck without losing fine. If you have the hide working to be chasing after superior you can manage it with a few piercing wounds to the head. By the time you are chasing superior even blunt trauma to the body can mess it up enough so you are basically relying on catching them in a trap and getting lucky piercing hits to the head.

Bashing the head in with a non-purpose made blunt weapon is basically reserved for foxes and gluttons or smaller. Everything else tends to be too thick skulled to get the benefit.

Police Automaton posted:

If you bought a lifetime copy, the forums have ways you can contact the developer to turn it into a Steam key.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Trogdos! posted:

Gah dude don't abuse that poor beast. Once unconscious, you can perform a deathblow - a single deathblow with edge or piercing to the neck should kill the beast (or make it bleed so much you just have to wait a few turns) and won't ruin a hide of that size at all.

Please somebody repost that screenshot of a wild sow still alive with 4 fractures to the skull :gonk:

zedprime posted:

If you bought a lifetime copy, the forums have ways you can contact the developer to turn it into a Steam key.

Yeah just send an email to the devs and they will send you a steam key :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

Gah dude don't abuse that poor beast. Once unconscious, you can perform a deathblow - a single deathblow with edge or piercing to the neck should kill the beast (or make it bleed so much you just have to wait a few turns) and won't ruin a hide of that size at all

But beating it to death from headblows is the way to go (seriously, I've had reindeer take 20/30 blows to the noggin and still be unconcious)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Party Plane Jones posted:

But beating it to death from headblows is the way to go (seriously, I've had reindeer take 20/30 blows to the noggin and still be unconcious)

That reminds me - in the new patch they fixed a bug where having a lot of small injuries would prevent new ones from registering after a point, so that could be why reindeer with lots of small bruises would basically just not die.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

No kidding. Now, if there were a practice dummy I could build at my settlement to train up my weapon skill du jour, that'd be one thing. Blunt trauma kills 4 lyfe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Supernatural Guardian Spirits will be unhappy with your cruelty. :colbert:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Supernatural Guardian Spirits will be unhappy with your cruelty. :colbert:

Probably, I fired up my Seal Tribe dude to prep for winter and got gutted by a njerpez warrior while looking for villages to trade with. I kind of like playing in the north, it's like a lesson in pain.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NatasDog posted:

Probably, I fired up my Seal Tribe dude to prep for winter and got gutted by a njerpez warrior while looking for villages to trade with. I kind of like playing in the north, it's like a lesson in pain.

Njerpez slave starts are definitely the absolute hardest ones you can do; unless you sneak out you have almost zero chance of survival.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Njerpez slave starts are definitely the absolute hardest ones you can do; unless you sneak out you have almost zero chance of survival.

They'd hard but at least you run through them quick. Hurt, Helpless and Afraid can take months of crawling around scavenging berries to finally starve.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have been trying to get into this game now that it seems a bit more accessible, I almost froze to death like a dumbass because I would only add branches to my ongoing fire, which basically meant the fire ran out as soon as i had finished gathering more, then I realized I could push big rear end logs onto the fire and it exploded into a fireball that lasted the night and it probably shouldn't have been safe to go to sleep 1 tile next to such a blazing inferno.

Anyways I have plenty of questions:

1. Whats easy good value trading items that i can gather or make for bartering with?
2. Does every village have a shop? Is a shop clearly marked?
3. Do villagers live lives full of hunting eating, drinking, sleeping and potentially starving, or are they generic NPCs who wander the village or stand still all day requiring neither food, warmth or water? Basically I want to stalk a villager until he has killed a deer or something, then kill him and take his trophy deer and his stuff.
4. Can I give villagers booze to inebriate them and make them easier to kill?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Koboje posted:

I have been trying to get into this game now that it seems a bit more accessible, I almost froze to death like a dumbass because I would only add branches to my ongoing fire, which basically meant the fire ran out as soon as i had finished gathering more, then I realized I could push big rear end logs onto the fire and it exploded into a fireball that lasted the night and it probably shouldn't have been safe to go to sleep 1 tile next to such a blazing inferno.

Anyways I have plenty of questions:

1. Whats easy good value trading items that i can gather or make for bartering with?
2. Does every village have a shop? Is a shop clearly marked?
3. Do villagers live lives full of hunting eating, drinking, sleeping and potentially starving, or are they generic NPCs who wander the village or stand still all day requiring neither food, warmth or water? Basically I want to stalk a villager until he has killed a deer or something, then kill him and take his trophy deer and his stuff.
4. Can I give villagers booze to inebriate them and make them easier to kill?

For trading I like paw traps (make them in the trapping menu from boards - requires an axe, ideally a carving axe) but you need quite a bit of them. It's more of a mid late game thing once your food needs are met and you have time to kill.

Otherwise, kill big animals, roast some meat for yourself (10-20 pieces), barter off the rest before it spoils. Or kill a few Njerpez and pawn off the abundance of weapons they will kindly gift you.

There are no shops, goods are kept in various houses, just pick up what you want and talk to someone for bartering (or make a run for it if you want but they will chase you down to beat the poo poo out of you, you thieving prick)

I believe people do stuff like hunting eating etc but it's not easy to see. Should become more fleshed out in upcoming patches I think.

Can't make people drunk sadly.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
All right, thanks, maybe I can plant traps in the middle of the village and act nonchalant about it though... Maybe they won't notice as i place 9 traps outside every house.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
NPCs will avoid traps. They are smart and also not very smart.

The only thing you can really follow villagers go and do is agriculture. It seems to simulate agents in that you can compete for game spawns and run into hunters carrying meat, but I don't think the guts are there to actually run into a hunter chasing game dynamically. In general you can run a decent racket ambushing woodsmen if you are an rear end in a top hat.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

zedprime posted:

NPCs will avoid traps. They are smart and also not very smart.
I once found a dead old man in a single-tile puddle between two houses in a village. It was springtime so I can only assume he had fallen through the ice and frozen/drowned.
Sadly his stuff was considered village property so I couldn't just grab it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

I once found a dead old man in a single-tile puddle between two houses in a village. It was springtime so I can only assume he had fallen through the ice and frozen/drowned.
Sadly his stuff was considered village property so I couldn't just grab it.

This is just the saddest thing :smith:

E: the fact that an old man drowned, not that you couldn't pilfer his stuff. I feel this must be pointed out because the game creates monsters that enjoy kicking squirrels to death. :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 22, 2016

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

Last night I killed my dog.

Dogs are great. They can swim forever, don't have a problem when standing directly in fire, and can subsist on utterly rotten meat. If one gets hurt it's three days of rest, but that's not bad. My dumb dog jumps into a pit with a trapped wolf and tries to savage it. I've gotten it unconscious through some shots to the head, which go right over my dog. I go in for the deathblow with my spear!

...Yeah, that's right, I brutally murdered my hunting friend instead of the wolf. I'll keep your fine dog leather forever, Koira. :saddowns:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Bummer dude. I'm always unreasonably excited every time I find a village that sells dogs. I immediately want to buy all the dogs then go attack the nearest njerpaz.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Any suggestions on where to settle as a hunter/trapper? I've been settling on the west coast of the huge lake that forms in the middle of the map, but 95% of my catches seem to be water birds. I'd like to trap foxes, squirrels and the like - things with fur instead of feathers, but they seem very rare there. Do I have to settle in the far north? It's already hard enough trying to find an axe or a knife for sale in Kaumolais / Koivulais land :sigh:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Trogdos! posted:

Any suggestions on where to settle as a hunter/trapper? I've been settling on the west coast of the huge lake that forms in the middle of the map, but 95% of my catches seem to be water birds. I'd like to trap foxes, squirrels and the like - things with fur instead of feathers, but they seem very rare there. Do I have to settle in the far north? It's already hard enough trying to find an axe or a knife for sale in Kaumolais / Koivulais land :sigh:

I try to settle near a river close to some natural choke points to make building trap fences easier. I then scatter a few paw boards, deadfalls, etc. in the same general vicinity as my trap fences to make the daily walk to check traps a little easier.

I've gotten by just fine in Kaum lands, the first priority should be getting a trap fence set up at a choke point between lakes or rivers where game will have to funnel through. While I'm waiting on that I try to use fishing as a way to keep myself fed if/when food gets low. Once the fence is done, getting a small smoke house together for preserving the meat should be your next priority. It can be touch and go for the first couple months, but once you've trapped your first reindeer/elk/stag, life gets a lot easier. At that point you'll have plenty of leather/fur for making cords which you can then use to hang meat for smoking and life's pretty much set from there. Most of my games kind of plateau at that point until winter, when I spend my time indoors practicing my woodworking skills after I make my daily trek to check traps.

Here's one of my trap fences for illustration, the smaller traps are behind me in this shot, on top of a few bushes so I don't have to bait them:

There's my house in relation to it all, I have more trap fences at choke points both north and south of the one you can see there:
\
Also, the water never freezes in the SW corner bordering my house, so it's easy to get water and clean/cure skins all year round, no ice breaking needed. If you're inland, setting up next to some rapids will have the same benefit, as they don't freeze in winter either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know I've ever heard a really convincing description of how animals are laid out or how some places could be better than others, so I am pretty sure its mostly just statistical noise. Wait long enough and range far enough and you'll find furry friends to wear. NPC woodsmen do seem to compete for spawns so I try to live at least half a days walk out from civilization.

Besides birds nesting near any and all lakes, animals in general seem to have an occasional affinity for water. But it also seems like small watering holes in the middle of a dry area mean a possibly better chance than trying to trap in the swamp or lake country where waters can hang out at countless coasts. There's a sweet spot sort of situation when you have some spotted lakes or peninsulas to set up trap fences at without having to build fences for kilometers. That's probably all over analyzing, I've lived on a large lake and a river and still had countless ungulates range into my perimeter trap fences just from their tendency to follow coasts.

There's a couple regional things to watch out for though. Beavers seem mostly in the interior in the lake country in the center of the map. Seals are limited to the coasts and archipelago.

If you want to active hunt, it helps to set up near hills or mountains, or else land you can see a fair distance through so you can recon prey from a distance.

For trapping, a trap fence is going to be your main permanent passive source of prey. To save time and effort I do any other trapping in a reactive manner. That is, if I see a fox, I come back to the area and set and bait a fox trap. Ditto for anything else small and furry with the correct sized trap.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Is there a way to see how many people are in a robber group from a distance? Should I get next to them, then zoom in and sneak up on them? Sometimes it is two (and they go down like chumps) other times there can be 7 which is way more risky.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
After a hectic battle and chase that lasted well into the night, I finally managed to kill a Big Bear I happened upon. I fear what would have happened had I not scored 2 great hits with my initial arrow attacks, panicking it and forcing it to run away, stalking it carefully and slowly so as to not tire myself I finally found it again, sleeping. Another arrow and a good amount of axe chops later it was dead, it made many attacks against me but they were all clumsy, presumably from fatigue Now I have more meat lying around than I could possibly carry, eat, smoke or otherwise store while completely unhurt. And the bear isn't even fully butchered yet! I feel so rich just carrying a bunch of meat around. Now to somehow turn this Bear skin into a kickass trophy cloak or something.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Game changed quite a bit from last time I played, it's a smoother experience now. Kinda miss being able to climb trees on the wilderness map and see all sorts of things, even though I guess it didn't make much sense. Either finding tracks has become more difficult or more sensical, hunting seems to be less of a dice roll now. It's also good he stopped using ultima art assets. :v:

I also bludgeoned an adventurers skull in because he had food and I was running out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Police Automaton posted:

Kinda miss being able to climb trees on the wilderness map and see all sorts of things

You can still do this, but it's easier to just climb a hill and look around from there.

The one change that I don't like is that you have to be starving before you can butcher a human for meat now. I used to do the "unfortunate hunting trip" start all the time so I could start the game with a stash of Dad Jerky

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Foo Diddley posted:

You can still do this, but it's easier to just climb a hill and look around from there.

The one change that I don't like is that you have to be starving before you can butcher a human for meat now. I used to do the "unfortunate hunting trip" start all the time so I could start the game with a stash of Dad Jerky

man what's even the point then

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Foo Diddley posted:

When I try using the climbing skill on the wilderness map I just get told "This is not allowed on the wilderness map! Press enter to zoom in" I remember a program version where you could climb on the wilderness map and it would give you an overview of a huge area. Like I said, that didn't make that much sense to begin with. (EDIT: Also it was very easy to fall and cripple yourself badly)

Foo Diddley posted:

But isn't that a bit gamey.

I'm digging that you can interact with people/npcs a bit more meaningful (too many games ignore that aspect) although I think I remember you could marry once, I guess that went out of the door again, there was not much use to it to begin with.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2016

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Police Automaton posted:

When I try using the climbing skill on the wilderness map I just get told "This is not allowed on the wilderness map! Press enter to zoom in"

Huh. I guess I haven't tried it in a while

Police Automaton posted:

But isn't that a bit gamey.

No, it tastes fine

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Foo Diddley posted:

Huh. I guess I haven't tried it in a while

It was removed because it was unrealistic and sort of silly in the way it was overused by players. The way the vision looks now is pretty drat good, so I am glad it was removed.

I also really like the NPCs, and really looking forward to the quest system filling this out a lot more. I also really hope asking followers for more tasks is going to be a thing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BernieLomax posted:

It was removed because it was unrealistic and sort of silly in the way it was overused by players. The way the vision looks now is pretty drat good, so I am glad it was removed.

I also really like the NPCs, and really looking forward to the quest system filling this out a lot more. I also really hope asking followers for more tasks is going to be a thing.

Well the reason you did it in earlier versions was because there were no hills, and there was no other way to see more than one square around you in a forest. Now that there's an elevation system in, it isn't necessary anymore. I really did think it was still possible, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Aha. I joined just before it got removed. But that explains a lot.

• Locked thread