Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
C.H.U.D.D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

pookel posted:

I'm sorry to keep posting child abuse stuff, but that's what I've been reading. I can stop if anyone's sick of it. I ran across this one recently and can't get it out of my head:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Survivor-of-childhood-abuse-moves-forward-by-7224850.php

Twenty-four-year-old former abuse victim Amy Beebe talks about her life and what happened on the day her brother died. They and another brother were triplets who had been adopted by a woman who starved and beat them, along with another adopted child. All had some level of special needs. One day when the triplets were 8, she'd been hurting them so badly that they started discussing ways to escape. Her brother Joseph came up with the idea that if they could provoke her to kill just one of them, the cops would have to get involved and the others would be rescued.

Joseph intentionally wet his pants and had his siblings rat him out; she beat him unconscious and then called 911 when he stopped breathing. The other siblings were rescued and their adoptive parents and oldest brother were all arrested. I keep re-reading this and wondering if it was STDH - if she imagined the conversation after the fact as a way to deal with her brother's death. But it's clear she believed it, and she testified to it in court at her adoptive mother's trial. The mom got 75 years - the maximum possible.

The triplets' other adoptive brother, who'd been abused with them, died of complications of his ongoing medical issues at 19. Amy's surviving brother lives in a group home and doesn't like to talk about what happened, but they remain very close. Meanwhile, there is a little bit of a happy ending: she just got her first apartment and a cat, and she recently got in touch with her birth mother - who didn't want to give them up, but was going to prison for drug charges - and met some of her birth family.

You win. You found the most depressing thing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That link to longform.org led me to this article about the problems with DNA forensics. The article's disturbing in several ways, but this sentence stood out in a gross way:

The Atlantic posted:

A 1996 study showed that sperm cells from a single stain on one item of clothing made their way onto every other item of clothing in the washer.
:gonk:

My wife particularly enjoyed that anecdote. "Everything we own..."

Imagined has a new favorite as of 18:18 on May 18, 2016

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Imagined posted:

That link to longform.org led me to this article about the problems with DNA forensics. The article's disturbing in several ways, but this sentence stood out in a gross way:

I am never going to feel good about going to the laundromat in my bad neighborhood ever again

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

DStecks posted:

No, no. I've seen many more depressing things than this that I opted not to share with the thread. :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

pookel posted:

No, no. I've seen many more depressing things than this that I opted not to share with the thread. :(

Do we have an opposite of an :allears: because I am kind of there right now.

loving christ I mean they all suit the thread but I don't know how people can even read them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The child abuse stories are heart breaking, but we have to bear witness to these atrocities, because we, as a society, failed and continue to fail to protect children. :smith:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yeah I'm a CPS social worker, that's basically my worst nightmare :smith:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Imagined posted:

The same goes for bacterial contamination and fungal spores. That's why hospitals do laundry at 60C. Any cooler than that and you're just spreading it around.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Brass Key posted:

The same goes for bacterial contamination and fungal spores. That's why hospitals do laundry at 60C. Any cooler than that and you're just spreading it around.

My wife does cold / cold no matter how many times I mention this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

whiteyfats posted:

The child abuse stories are heart breaking, but we have to bear witness to these atrocities, because we, as a society, failed and continue to fail to protect children. :smith:

My fiance works for a homeless shelter. The children's summer camps post guards near the edge of the property, because children as young as four or five will run to the nearby train tracks in a bid for eternal freedom.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This poo poo went down over a decade ago.

Guy calls up a McDonald's restaurant, speaks with the assistant manager Donna, and identifies himself as a police officer. He tells her they're looking for a small white woman with dark hair as a theft suspect and that she's probably working at the restaurant. Donna thinks that, yeah, someone like that works here: Louise. Caller also tells her he's speaking with her senior manager on another line.

The caller tells Donna that there are no cops available to actually go down there and arrest her, so Donna should strip search her. Donna thinks this sounds perfectly reasonable, so orders Lousie into her office and tells her take her clothes off, in front of a second assistant manager, Kim, who serves as a witness. Kim also thinks this sounds fine. Kim eventually leaves to, you know, run a restaurant, and the caller tells Donna that she needs to bring in someone else she trusts to help with the investigation. At this point, Louise is naked but has covered herself with an apron. Donna calls one of the cooks back, and the caller orders him to remove Louise's apron. The cook is the first person in this bit to think that something doesn't sound right, and refuses, but still doesn't call the cops, and goes back out to cook burgers.

At this point, Donna *calls her fiance*, Walter, for help, who drives to the restaurant. Donna goes out to, again, run a restaurant, leaving her equally-gullible fiancee on the phone with the caller, in the office with naked Louise. At the caller's direction, Walter orders Louise to dance, to jump up and down, to kiss him, submit to a spanking, spread her vagina, and eventually to give him a blowjob. Louise is cowed into obedience by the caller who, again, says he's a cop and says that she'll be in worse trouble if she disobeys. Donna returns to the office intermittently while this is all transpiring. After the blowjob, Walter starts feeling uneasy and wants to leave, the caller says he can't leave unless they find a replacement for him. He leaves, Donna grabs Thomas, the maintenance guy, who refuses to assist with this bullshit.

Donna finally gets suspicious and calls her manager who says "What are you talking about? I was asleep, I'm not talking with any cop on another line." Then she realizes it was all a setup and starts crying. After three and a half hours, Louise gets to put her clothes back on and leave the office.

All of this was recorded on the restaurant's security cameras. After watching the tape, Donna decides not to marry Walter. Walter is charged with sexual assault and eventually gets sentenced to 5 years. Donna gets fired for violating corporate policies against strip searches. The caller was probably a guy named David Stewart, who was arrested and tried but found not guilty due to there being little direct evidence; he was suspected of making a whole bunch of calls along these lines, and the calls stopped after he was arrested.

quote:

At a McDonald's in Hinesville, Ga., a caller convinced a 55-year-old janitor to do a cavity search of a 19-year-old cashier, while in Fargo, N.D., a manager at a local Burger King strip-searched a 17-year-old female employee.

McDonalds also lost big in subsequent lawsuits.

I'm not sure what the most disturbing bit about this is: that people are so reflexively submissive to authority that they will kidnap and sexually assault another human being because an anonymous voice on the other end of a phone tells them to (or will submit to the same because of that voice), or that that McDonald's has to have a *corporate policy against strip-searches*.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1728839&page=1
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3688563

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:03 on May 18, 2016

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
See Also: That experiment where people were told to shock someone with increasing intensity while the supposed shock-victim screamed louder and eventually fell silent

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

joshtothemaxx posted:

My gf and I are historians. She writes about riots/uprisings with racial elements. I often write about Southern lynchings and honor killings. Our work talk is really truly awful and depressing.

The American past can be awful.

This was an interesting book, it might be right up your alley.
http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Marylands-Eastern-Shore-Politics/dp/1596290773

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chichevache posted:

My fiance works for a homeless shelter. The children's summer camps post guards near the edge of the property, because children as young as four or five will run to the nearby train tracks in a bid for eternal freedom.

:smithicide:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

This poo poo went down over a decade ago.

Guy calls up a McDonald's restaurant, speaks with the assistant manager Donna, and identifies himself as a police officer. He tells her they're looking for a small white woman with dark hair as a theft suspect and that she's probably working at the restaurant. Donna thinks that, yeah, someone like that works here: Louise. Caller also tells her he's speaking with her senior manager on another line.

The caller tells Donna that there are no cops available to actually go down there and arrest her, so Donna should strip search her. Donna thinks this sounds perfectly reasonable, so orders Lousie into her office and tells her take her clothes off, in front of a second assistant manager, Kim, who serves as a witness. Kim also thinks this sounds fine. Kim eventually leaves to, you know, run a restaurant, and the caller tells Donna that she needs to bring in someone else she trusts to help with the investigation. At this point, Louise is naked but has covered herself with an apron. Donna calls one of the cooks back, and the caller orders him to remove Louise's apron. The cook is the first person in this bit to think that something doesn't sound right, and refuses, but still doesn't call the cops, and goes back out to cook burgers.

At this point, Donna *calls her fiance*, Walter, for help, who drives to the restaurant. Donna goes out to, again, run a restaurant, leaving her equally-gullible fiancee on the phone with the caller, in the office with naked Louise. At the caller's direction, Walter orders Louise to dance, to jump up and down, to kiss him, submit to a spanking, spread her vagina, and eventually to give him a blowjob. Louise is cowed into obedience by the caller who, again, says he's a cop and says that she'll be in worse trouble if she disobeys. Donna returns to the office intermittently while this is all transpiring. After the blowjob, Walter starts feeling uneasy and wants to leave, the caller says he can't leave unless they find a replacement for him. He leaves, Donna grabs Thomas, the maintenance guy, who refuses to assist with this bullshit.

Donna finally gets suspicious and calls her manager who says "What are you talking about? I was asleep, I'm not talking with any cop on another line." Then she realizes it was all a setup and starts crying. After three and a half hours, Louise gets to put her clothes back on and leave the office.

All of this was recorded on the restaurant's security cameras. After watching the tape, Donna decides not to marry Walter. Walter is charged with sexual assault and eventually gets sentenced to 5 years. Donna gets fired for violating corporate policies against strip searches. The caller was probably a guy named David Stewart, who was arrested and tried but found not guilty due to there being little direct evidence; he was suspected of making a whole bunch of calls along these lines, and the calls stopped after he was arrested.

McDonalds also lost big in subsequent lawsuits.

I'm not sure what the most disturbing bit about this is: that people are so reflexively submissive to authority that they will kidnap and sexually assault another human being because an anonymous voice on the other end of a phone tells them to (or will submit to the same because of that voice), or that that McDonald's has to have a *corporate policy against strip-searches*.

This is especially horrible because 20/20 or whatever "news magazine" show that broke the story played the actual security video of the woman being raped as part of the segment.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Segmentation Fox posted:

See Also: That experiment where people were told to shock someone with increasing intensity while the supposed shock-victim screamed louder and eventually fell silent

That experiment was/is deeply flawed if you are referring to the Milgram experiment. The guy in charge was, pretty obviously, getting far too interested in jacking it to really have an objective view of the situation.

Saying that. You read these stories and wonder how we can exist as we do now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Josef bugman posted:

That experiment was/is deeply flawed if you are referring to the Milgram experiment.

It's one of those cases where everyone knows what transpired but they're all wrong.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/10/02/the-shocking-truth-of-the-notorious-milgram-obedience-experiments/

quote:

The 65% headline figure, of people who followed the experimenters’ orders and went to the maximum voltage on the shock machine, implies that there was a single experiment. In fact there were 24 different variations, or mini dramas, each with a different script, actors and experimental set up.

It’s surprising how often Milgram’s 24 different variations are wrongly conflated into this single statistic. The 65% result was made famous because it was the first variation that Milgram reported in his first journal article, yet few noted that it was an experiment that involved just 40 subjects.

By examining records of the experiment held at Yale, I found that in over half of the 24 variations, 60% of people disobeyed the instructions of the authority and refused to continue.

In listening to the original recordings of the experiments, it’s clear that Milgram’s experimenter John Williams deviated significantly from the script in his interactions with subjects. Williams – with Milgram’s approval – improvised in all manner of ways to exert pressure on subjects to keep administering shocks.

He left the lab to “check” on the learner, returning to reassure the teacher that the learner was OK. Instead of sticking to the standard four verbal commands described in accounts of the experimental protocol, Williams often abandoned the script and commanded some subjects 25 times and more to keep going. Teachers were blocked in their efforts to swap places with the learner or to check on him themselves.

The slavish obedience to authority we have come to associate with Milgram’s experiments comes to sound much more like bullying and coercion when you listen to these recordings.

Context matters. There were variations of the experiment where nobody obeyed. If you set it up where the authority is a doctor, explaining that the treatment is painful but necessary to save the subject's life, you could probably push the obedience up to almost total.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/rethinking-one-of-psychologys-most-infamous-experiments/384913/

Or this one:

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/05/the_french_obey_authority_figu.html

quote:

A French documentarian creates a fake game show (a la Milgram obedience experiment): he tells the subjects that in this game show, they are to shock the "contestant" if he answers the questions wrong. (Of course, there was no real shock, everything was faked.)

Just like with the Milgram experiments, most (64/80) of the subjects shocked all the way to the top, despite the anguished screams of the contestant.

Here are two important questions I have yet to see asked:

* - are there really people in France-- in France!-- who have not heard about the Milgram experiments?
* -are there really people in France who would think that there could be a TV show where you actually torture other people for real? I realize the EU is crumbling, but let's postulate that France is not in Japan.
It's possible that these people are not so much obedient as idiots, condemned to repeat history because...

But there's another, more likely explanation: these people live in France.

They're brought up in a normal, liberal society that doesn't usually torture its citizens. It's a TV show, so it's presumably voluntary. Why would they stop? Imagine you're the contestant to receive the shocks, you've withstood shocks all the way up to 400 volts, and now the nimrod on the other end decides he's not going to shock you because he finds it morally objectionable-- the same guy who's never heard of the Milgram experiments yet has made a thorough investigation of the relevant balance of ethics. Now the game is ruined, and you go home with your depression treated, for nothing.

There's a difference between blind obedience to an authority figure, and knowing where you are.

The Stanford Prison experiment is another one that people get consistently wrong. It wasn't just a random selection of people who showed up for an experiment and were randomly assigned into one or two groups. The ad placed to solicit participants specifically stated it was for a psychological experiment about prison life. Those participants were given standard personality inventories, and all scored significantly higher on significantly higher on narcissism, social dominance, aggression, Machiavellianism and authoritarianism. So maybe that study tells you something about the sort of people who want to participate in simulations about prison life, but it doesn't tell you much about the general population.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phanatic posted:

It's one of those cases where everyone knows what transpired but they're all wrong.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/10/02/the-shocking-truth-of-the-notorious-milgram-obedience-experiments/

Context matters. There were variations of the experiment where nobody obeyed. If you set it up where the authority is a doctor, explaining that the treatment is painful but necessary to save the subject's life, you could probably push the obedience up to almost total.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/01/rethinking-one-of-psychologys-most-infamous-experiments/384913/

Or this one:

The Stanford Prison experiment is another one that people get consistently wrong. It wasn't just a random selection of people who showed up for an experiment and were randomly assigned into one or two groups. The ad placed to solicit participants specifically stated it was for a psychological experiment about prison life. Those participants were given standard personality inventories, and all scored significantly higher on significantly higher on narcissism, social dominance, aggression, Machiavellianism and authoritarianism. So maybe that study tells you something about the sort of people who want to participate in simulations about prison life, but it doesn't tell you much about the general population.

Milgram had another experiment where he had his graduate students go on the subway and ask strangers for their seats. The only thing they were allowed to say if asked about it was "because I would like to sit there." Several of them were attacked physically.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Milgram had another experiment where he had his graduate students go on the subway and ask strangers for their seats. The only thing they were allowed to say if asked about it was "because I would like to sit there."

Nope, that's not true. Again, there were multiple scripts. In one script, the experimenter offered no justification. Because in that case it's possible that people would surrender their seats because they assumed the person really needed it, there was another script where the experimenter announced right up front that he wanted the seat for a non-necessary reason (The script was actually "Excuse me, may I please have your seat? I can't read my book standing up." In the third setup, there were two experimenters working together. The first asks the second, "Do you think it would be all right if I asked someone for a seat?", the second says "I don't know," and then first proceeds to then do that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/14/nyregion/excuse-me-may-i-have-your-seat.html

quote:

Several of them were attacked physically.

Not sure about that. Milgram had another experiment involving experimenters cutting into lines at counters, some of those reactions did involve physically ejecting the line-cutter from the line.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Was Milgram a bit bonkers in the nut by any chance?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

There's a pretty famous article about Candy Barr (I would try and sum up her story, but wouldn't come close to doing her justice) that I highly recommend even though the author has some pretty questionable phrasing.
Apparently there are at least two people in Texas named Candy Barr. The famous former stripper, because that's ttly a stripper name, and the slightly younger butch lesbian I know (imagine Hannah Hart, but 40 years older) whose hippie parents Mr. and Mrs. Barr thought it'd be a hilarious pun to name their daughter Candice, and her dad maybe named her after his favorite porn star (I know that's a thing that happens).

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice

DStecks posted:

How were you able to read this? It says pay to see.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Phanatic posted:

To be fair to people's ability to notice bullshit it's estimated that more than a hundred of these calls were placed and all but two ended with the McDonalds employee refusing to proceed with any strip search.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Lord Psychodin posted:

Maybe he paid

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Milgram experiments were also done in La Trobe, Victoria (Australia). Here's an interview that talks with some of the people who were involved: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/beyond-the-shock-machine/4044812

quote:

Lynne Malcolm: Tell me your memory of your involvement?

Diane Backwell: Well I went along, there was a little caravan that the La Trobe site department had purpose built and the girl that had asked me to help her was behind a screen. There was another person there who was the prompter, I would ask a question and to start with she got the questions correct and everything was going along fine and then she got t a wrong answer and I gave her the shock and then she continued to get a number of questions wrong and the intensity that I was giving her the shock increased and if I would question the person beside her, her prac partner would tell me that I had to keep going and then she started to make louder and louder noises and screamed and I remember saying this is ridiculous that I can’t do this and the person beside me was saying you have to keep going, you’re committed to do this, you know that she’ll fail if you don’t do it and she’s got to learn it. Then the last one was when she was silent and I didn’t know whether I’d actually killed her and just remembering the ridiculous thought process that she’s already dead and another one is not going to hurt. And if she’s not then I’ve got to keep doing it because if I don’t it’s going to be my fault that she has to leave university.

Lynne Malcolm: And then after that were you consoled in any way?

Diane Blackwell: No, it was the opposite to consolation at the end of it. She came out from behind the screen and she and her prac partner it was almost like they thought it was really funny, this joke, it was like oh, you really didn’t shock me the experiment wasn’t on me the experiment was on you and you went the whole way, like you would have killed me, you were like one of the people that did that to the people in the Holocaust. And then there was just disbelief and I got back to La Trobe and my friend Ade was there and I told him about what I had just done and he said yeah, I know, I was in that as well but I told them where to go. And I remember feeling that made it even worse, like it wasn’t the experiment itself, we’d both underwent the same thing, he’d chosen not to do it and I chosen to do it, so it was absolutely definitely a statement about who I was.

Lynne Malcolm: And how do you think it’s affected you as a person since it was a long time ago, how has it affected you over all those years?

Diane Backwell: Well I haven’t actually stopped thinking about that since it happened back in 1973; it has just been part of who I am ever since that day.

Diane: Well I’m another Diane and in 1973 I was approached, really the same story in what Diane has said, but I think I read about this in the newspaper, couldn’t believe it, it was on the front page of one of our daily newspapers and I must say it was cathartic and it felt quite good that other people had experienced these shocking experiences to use the pun as we all have been I think. But it’s always with you, I mean I have thought that I have risen above it or beyond it in the 39 years but certainly it was coming out again in recent times and you realise that it is with you. I’m probably now as angry as I was 39 years ago that the powers that be will likely get away with what they did all those years ago.

Diane Backwell: It’s just one thing Roger was a person who did the experiment back in 1973 and he pulled out, he gave a couple of shocks and then stopped and left and when he was interviewed for Gina’s book, he said the thing that haunts me about it is how would I live with myself if I’d kept going. I’ve thought about it many times over the years, it had a profound effect on me; I’d been the sort of kid that went along with others even if I knew something was wrong. So that sense of relief afterwards, I was just so relieved and when I read Gina’s book it was like that said everything for me because for the rest or Roger’s life he had that to hold on to that he didn’t do it and that was the inner core and essence of him. Whereas for me, I had done it and for the rest of my life I knew that that, to use the words of the man in America, that black evil part was my core. So that’s the effect that it had on me.

The interview goes on for much longer than that, it's a pretty interesting listen (or read, transcript's available)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Phanatic posted:

Or this one:

Also a bunch of the people who were in the experiment later admitted that they did a bunch of the horrible stuff because they all basically wanted to play prison LARP and everyone was pretty much OK with it. They were specifically imitating movies and books about prisons because they thought it would be fun. I Imagine if you repeated the experiment today without all that shizz it would not be nearly as dramatic or scandalous and probably pretty boring.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Lord Psychodin posted:

Haha yeah, like I'm actually gonna click the link after reading that excerpt. Some stuff you just don't need to know.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Lord Psychodin posted:

Huh, that's strange. It wasn't behind a paywall when I posted the link. Maybe it goes behind the wall when it hits a certain age? In any case, yeah, you don't really need to read it.

Incidentally, I googled the girl's name yesterday and found she's pretty open about her current life - her Facebook page is public and full of cheery little status updates about cooking dinner, hanging out with her parents, cuddling her cat, etc. She mentioned somewhere that she'd saved the shirt she'd worn at her former adoptive mother's trial, and that when she testified against her it was "the best day of her life." She's a tough young lady.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MissEchelon posted:

The Milgram experiments were also done in La Trobe, Victoria (Australia). Here's an interview that talks with some of the people who were involved: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/beyond-the-shock-machine/4044812

The interview goes on for much longer than that, it's a pretty interesting listen (or read, transcript's available)
The Milgram experiments are among the reasons the U.S. now requires Institutional Review Boards, because experimental subjects need to know what they're signing up for, and the experiments should not pose risks (psychological or physical) to participants unless they have clearly been warned of those risks.

tl;dr: Psychology researchers have no business scarring their subjects for life.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Lord Psychodin posted:

An easy way to get around paywalls on a lot of news sites is using Google's cache (in the little dropdown arrow next to the URL).

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Psychology researchers have no business scarring their subjects for life.
But how else can I prove my theory that people can be psychologically damaged by participating in social experiments? :(

Anyone else remember this movie? :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMY-syKcwc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched the Hillsborough 30 for 30 last night thanks to this thread, which lead to me asking Facebook for upsetting documentaries, which led to me watching Dear Zachary today. I have been :smith: ing around for a couple of hours now. What other horrible poo poo from this thread has been made into a documentary? When find time I'll watch the Paradise Lost series.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

MissEchelon posted:

It's kind of strange to replicate the Milgram experiment with worse debriefing than the original. Well Milgram called it 'de-hoaxing' iirc, since the concept of debriefing didn't really exist back then, but the thought of people being upset about being made to administer deadly electric shocks did cross his mind.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Henchman of Santa posted:

I watched the Hillsborough 30 for 30 last night thanks to this thread, which lead to me asking Facebook for upsetting documentaries, which led to me watching Dear Zachary today. I have been :smith: ing around for a couple of hours now. What other horrible poo poo from this thread has been made into a documentary? When find time I'll watch the Paradise Lost series.
Fire in the Night, about the Piper Alpha disaster, is a good one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PcDNRSsM24

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If it helps anyone sleep better, most of the articles on sites like xojane are fiction penned by aspiring writers trying to make a quick buck. The more ludicrous, the better--those sites will gladly pay third parties for completely ridiculous stuff like this because it means more clicks/shares/ad impressions/whatever and no liability whatsoever on their part if someone calls bullshit.

Yeah, it's just the web version of confessional magazines, most popular reference for this kind of thing is Penthouse Forum. They're the ultimate in STDH stories, they're basically urban legends of really variable quality.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
In 1991 a Italian ferry sailing in heavy fog rammed an anchored oil tanker, slicing through one of the tanks of crude oil which then sprayed out over the ferry and caught fire. Of the 141 persons aboard, only a single person survived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Prince_disaster

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If it helps anyone sleep better, most of the articles on sites like xojane are fiction penned by aspiring writers trying to make a quick buck. The more ludicrous, the better--those sites will gladly pay third parties for completely ridiculous stuff like this because it means more clicks/shares/ad impressions/whatever and no liability whatsoever on their part if someone calls bullshit.

I've never been this happy to have been trolled before.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

tl;dr: Psychology researchers have no business scarring their subjects for life.

:rolleyes: booooooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

Fire in the Night, about the Piper Alpha disaster, is a good one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PcDNRSsM24

A colleague of mine used to work with the guy who was duty control manager on Tartan during the incident, and he confirms that after Claymore requested permission to shut down he was directly instructed to keep pumping gas across to Piper Alpha as it burned.

If you want a really unnerving story about Piper Alpha, though: just this week Occidental Petroleum bought out Apache. Nobody ever expected those fuckers to return to the North Sea, and I have no idea who's going to work for them now.