Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The unsullied thread just had about thirty pages of discussion mostly about dual wielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i wish someone would dual wield shotguns and shoot your brains out

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dual weilding does happen, but not with two two-handed swords. Even if those were light, and pefectly balanced, and you were ambidextrous, it would be unweildly and get you killed against five people in real life.

I am not a weapons nerd, but my understanding is daggers, knives, parrying knives, were the things people used. Nobody in history who wasn't shitfaced drunk and already victorious walked onto a battlefield swinging two zweihanders around.

In the east, I legitimately do not know.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there any historical precedent whatsoever of anyone actually dual wielding? I mean in the entire history of the world, someone somewhere at some time must have dual wielded swords in an actual battle.

Not that it matters, I'm just curious. I personally don't care about it in the show. They did it to show him being a badass and I'm ok with that.

The dude in the video explains that while not very common, its definitely a thing in history. He also gives several examples of it.

hemophilia posted:

Dual weilding does happen, but not with two two-handed swords. Even if those were light, and pefectly balanced, and you were ambidextrous, it would be unweildly and get you killed against five people in real life.

The dude in the video also talks about how this is bullshit. The swords are perfectly fine, the situation for it is perfectly fine and the idea of being "ambidextrous" is dumb.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hemophilia posted:

I am not a weapons nerd, but my understanding is daggers, knives, parrying knives, were the things people used. Nobody in history who wasn't shitfaced drunk and already victorious walked onto a battlefield swinging two zweihanders around.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So maybe we can talk about, you know, spoilers. This the first week with no leak?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think if this season were better it would be a more bigger subject but this season meh

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Dave posted:

So maybe we can talk about, you know, spoilers. This the first week with no leak?

The leaks last week were fake, so there werent really leaks then either.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The spanish guy who leaked the first episodes is going to show up as one of the flayed guys out of winterfel in ep 9

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Someone always talks

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Elias_Maluco posted:

The spanish guy who leaked the first episodes is going to show up as one of the flayed guys out of winterfel in ep 9

Having learned what rhymes with 'leak.'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The greatest dual wielder ever was the legend of gin alley Karl Tanner

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

The greatest dual wielder ever was the legend of gin alley Karl Tanner

And now he's dead.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

zVxTeflon posted:

The greatest dual wielder ever was the fookin legend of gin alley Karl Tanner
FTFY.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I still can't figure out if that's all blood spatter or if he actually got cut up a bit. Probably just blood spatter because he has invisible plot armor.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still can't figure out if that's all blood spatter or if he actually got cut up a bit. Probably just blood spatter because he has invisible plot armor.

The claw marks are from loving Myranda. The Ironborn couldn't touch him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TheRat posted:

The dude in the video explains that while not very common, its definitely a thing in history. He also gives several examples of it.

The dude in the video also talks about how this is bullshit. The swords are perfectly fine, the situation for it is perfectly fine and the idea of being "ambidextrous" is dumb.

sorry i've watched other swords guys talk about this and call it dumb and i've seen more swords dudes on youtube mocking dual weilding like that, than saying it's viable. The question is usually asked, 'why'? because he could have been more effective with a different kit.

And i'm sorry you don't know about hand dominance.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

In It For The Tank posted:

The claw marks are from loving Myranda. The Ironborn couldn't touch him.

Yeah, that's all sex blood.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hemophilia posted:

And i'm sorry you don't know about hand dominance.

The point he was making was that the notion that you have to be some mythical form of ambidextrous to dual wield is dumb. People allready dual wield when they're using a sword and buckler, but noone seems to think you need a special brain for that. He was basically saying that dual wielding was about training and nothing else.

hemophilia posted:

sorry i've watched other swords guys talk about this and call it dumb and i've seen more swords dudes on youtube mocking dual weilding like that, than saying it's viable. The question is usually asked, 'why'? because he could have been more effective with a different kit.

Here's a shocker. Film-fights arent about being the most effective, otherwise fights would be really boring. His comments can basically be summarized as "Dual wielding wouldnt have been my choice in a fight, but it certainly works and its definitely a thing from history and I understand that they did it for artistic/narrative reasons"

TheRat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 21, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hemophilia posted:

I, for one, would rather watch all the YouTube sword guys have a trial by combat over this than watch nerds argue incessantly about it on SA.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
i dont like how his name was "sword of the morning" but he used two swords

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
weve already been over this, it was one sword that split into two like skeltor's

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

i dont like how his name was "sword of the morning" but he used two swords

In the books, Arthur Dayne is a literal sword. He hops around on his point and has a mouth on the crossguard. I don't know why D&D, those hacks, changed that. It would've been very interesting and nuanced.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TheRat posted:

The point he was making was that the notion that you have to be some mythical form of ambidextrous to dual wield is dumb. People allready dual wield when they're using a sword and buckler, but noone seems to think you need a special brain for that. He was basically saying that dual wielding was about training and nothing else.

Here's a shocker. Film-fights arent about being the most effective, otherwise fights would be really boring. His comments can basically be summarized as "Dual wielding wouldnt have been my choice in a fight, but it certainly works and its definitely a thing from history and I understand that they did it for artistic/narrative reasons"

I'm gonna take your second point first dude. This whole discussion was about the viability of this fictional swordfight. That's the perspective I'm coming from. And actually, well choreographed and realistic looking fighting looks better. John Wick bothered to remember that guns have magazines and 40-something actors are not as spry as 20-something actors, and it made it a better action movie by that merit alone. Earlier Game of Thrones action is better too. The S1 Mountain Vs. Hound fight rules. It's complete fantasy nonsense but still grounded enough to not be silly. Arthur Dane could have kicked serious rear end without using Network TV shorthand of dual weilding gigantic swords. This show has lost a lot of faith in the viewers since S1 though. So, whatever.

For hand dominance, If you're not ambidextrous, you want something your offhand can use effectively with less skill. Swords take skill to use, so the youtube sword guys tell me, you can't swing it around like they're lightsabers and cleave through people. Arthur dane would have murdered everyone if he'd bothered to use a dagger in his left hand.

Lycus posted:

I, for one, would rather watch all the YouTube sword guys have a trial by combat over this than watch nerds argue incessantly about it on SA.
Yeah that would be cool most of them are really dorky and this dumb argument put a lot of their videos in my video feed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it would have been cool if they did it the way they did it in the books

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
There was a dual wielding gladiator type called Dimachaerus and the guys who practiced it were really skillful and Dayne was the coolest knight in the realm so of course he can easily dual wield those bad boys. Also I rewatched that fight today and it was great

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

blood typically doesnt splatter in perfectly straight little lines like that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've been watching through Alt Shift X's youtube videos and he puts a lot of text quotes from the books in them. It's really reaffirmed my choice not to read the books. The writing is way not for me. I much rather read summaries of everything

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Would Arthur Dayne have won if he tri-wielded and held Dawn III in his mouth? Was tri-wielding a viable strategy in medieval times?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

I much rather read summaries of everything

HEH

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mystery Opponent posted:

There was a dual wielding gladiator type called Dimachaerus and the guys who practiced it were really skillful and Dayne was the coolest knight in the realm so of course he can easily dual wield those bad boys. Also I rewatched that fight today and it was great

Someone also dual-wields swords in a fight in the books, but nevermind that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 22, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

that retired gladiator guy dual wielded in the movie Gladiator and he died to the hero maximo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Would Arthur Dayne have won if he tri-wielded and held Dawn III in his mouth? Was tri-wielding a viable strategy in medieval times?

I think the only one who can tri-wield would be Podrick.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Gannicus dual wielded and none of you dare talk smack of my main man Gannicus

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've been watching through Alt Shift X's youtube videos and he puts a lot of text quotes from the books in them. It's really reaffirmed my choice not to read the books. The writing is way not for me. I much rather read summaries of everything

the books are not well written despite what people may tell you.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

What's your frame of reference here? I mean, what fiction, to you, is well-written?

Personally, as an avid reader with very broad tastes ranging from highly cerebral literature to guilty pleasures, GRRM is a deft stylist throughout the first three novels, with book four and five containing both his finest and his worst work at the same time. Martin is good at pointed and lively dialogue and conveying a character's emotional en mental make-up through their internal monologue. He's not so good at describing dense places like cities, big buildings and overall town layouts. He's at his best when he either focuses on details or when he's just painting with very broad strokes.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

they are well written and enjoyable

please :spergin: more

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's really reaffirmed my choice not to read the books. The writing is way not for me. I much rather read summaries of everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're "reading for fun" books, airplane novels.

At least they're better written than similar authors Crichton and (post crash) King.

I like them a lot because they're fun.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

And now he's dead.

I just realized season 8 is going to be ice harry potter flicking his wrists and leading zombie Ramsay, Stannis, and Karl Tanner into King's Landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you think that the White Walkers will move faster on the King's Road?

• Locked thread