Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Does anyone have an invite to the Discord channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
IMO invaders should be able to douse bonfires and if the invader kills the host while the bonfire they sat at is doused then their character dies permanently and they have to create a new character and start over. It's their own fault for letting themselves be invaded, and the game is already stacked in the host's favor anyway. You're an entitled baby if you don't think this is perfectly fair.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tengames posted:

the amount of people who run away and hide in invasions amazes me. In the time they sit around waiting for me to take thier bait, they could have done 3 more invasions and actually won one.

The amount of hosts who have three password-summoned friends outfit them in endgame equipment and rings yet still wait for me to enter the bonfire area as an invader are what amazes me. Is this the PC vs PS4 difference?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

IMO invaders should be able to douse bonfires and if the invader kills the host while the bonfire they sat at is doused then their character dies permanently and they have to create a new character and start over. It's their own fault for letting themselves be invaded, and the game is already stacked in the host's favor anyway. You're an entitled baby if you don't think this is perfectly fair.

I like this idea and even without the giant seed it is stacked the gently caress in the hosts favour outside of when the invader hides behind 2-3 different facefuckingly hard mobs that cannot be skipped on the way to the boss. But Miyazaki seems to speak in such a way that he thinks invaders had too much power and control.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 22, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RabidWeasel posted:

Why are claws so incredibly slow and weak, look how cool they are :negative:

It's really bizarre that claws are so slow. Did someone at From just have a burning hatred for all fist/claw weapons?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well the fists and claws sucked in DS1 and that's the game everyone liked so obviously we have to go back to how they were there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm increasingly convinced that the reason some things are balanced like they were in DS1 is less about some blind pandering to DS1 love and more that Miyazaki just prefers to things that way and maybe isn't the best director for anything other than PvE level, encounter, and atmospheric design.

Then again he directed Bloodborne which did pretty well with weapons so who knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

:agreed:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the reason some things are balanced like they were in DS1 is less about some blind pandering to DS1 love and more that Miyazaki just prefers to things that way and maybe isn't the best director for anything other than PvE level, encounter, and atmospheric design.

Then again he directed Bloodborne which did pretty well with weapons so who knows.

Maybe they didn't let him near the weapons in that one.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

bloodborne did have bloodtinge+evelyn/that twin pistol thing. the overall versatility and usability of each weapon was good but the bloodgunz were a disaster.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tengames posted:

the amount of people who run away and hide in invasions amazes me. In the time they sit around waiting for me to take thier bait, they could have done 3 more invasions and actually won one.

Or win zero. The only fights I can win are at archdragon where half the time you can block them from the bonfire. Even then it's hard due to the health bonus and estusroll. Everywhere else is gank squads running to resummon as fast as they can and since you have friendly fire on and they don't a second invader can hurt more than help. I.e. trying to finish off a guy roll spamming and hit each other instead.

Plus smart groups go 100% two handed giant weapons so they can't be parried and I have no idea how anyone backstabs consistently in this game but you sure won't get many off against 4 dudes at once.

Pretty much the only people you can kill are duelists, those who got embered after a fight and are playing solo , and absolute newbies who don't have end game gear. And the games old enough the last category doesn't really exist.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 22, 2016

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So, uh, question

I just tried to sunbro for Soul of Cinder, and I got summoned into a session where people were fighting the boss outside of his boss arena? Like, on the little hill before the actual arena. I didn't get to hang around to the end, because I got killed by a red phantom that was also hanging around. Is this a known glitch?

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I did the account transfer thing and you lot were not kidding about the frequency of hits. Pretty good so far, I got curbstomped twice by a host+sunbro but I've already learned to mix up my attacks better with the Uchi. The third invasion I helped a lone host kill Heysel and then we bowed and dueled all cordial-like, and I squeaked a win. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable twinks and ganksquads I'm sure are in my future but I'm not going to become less abysmal at PvP by not doing it.

Hosts don't get swordgrass for killing a wolf, do they?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

bloodborne did have bloodtinge+evelyn/that twin pistol thing. the overall versatility and usability of each weapon was good but the bloodgunz were a disaster.

repeater pistol and evelyn did ridiculous damage with bone marrow ash on a bloodtinge build in pvp

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats why it was a disaster

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

remember when the rifle spear was broken and could do like a thousand damage per shot

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I miss ratbro reverse invasions. That covenant was great because all people could complain about is losing a bit of time if they got summoned and killed.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I tought my Pyro run was easy but drat it has nothing on this luck / bleed build with Anri's sword. It hits like a freight train for minimal stats investment and then on top of it you get a huge amount of bleed damage when you buff it. This is seriously easy mode.

Plus I look awesome.

416 AR at SL85. Dragonslayer Greatbow equipped and still under 70% equip load. I can swing that dumb sword 7 times on a full bar and it feels a little bit overpowered.

Seriously if you tought the game was easy with dark sword / estoc, try Anri's on a luck build it's hillarious.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Got to the Boreal Valley after an extended stint of Being Bad, and my FPS is now garbage.

Which is now really bugging me, as trying to beat the thing on the bridge is really hard with the game stuttering like crazy. Anyone know of some things I can try other than "upgrade your PC"?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Sometimes I'll join a fight club and if the host is fighting and at low health I'll gank him for his tongue. I'm the bad guy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was just reading the past three pages and the people who think it should be possible to kill NPCs while invading are hilarious. There is nothing to justify that and whining about it not being a thing makes everyone in that camp look like lameos. If your justification is "there's ng+ and ten save slots" and assume everyone's willing to slog through handfuls of play throughs and characters to experience poo poo someone else stole from them, you need to take a break from your videogames and get some fresh air.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If the NPCs repsawned like actual undead people I think it would be fine. But they don't so it is instead stupid.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You also cannot steal a videogame ending from someone if there are other endings.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Wildtortilla posted:

I was just reading the past three pages and the people who think it should be possible to kill NPCs while invading are hilarious. There is nothing to justify that and whining about it not being a thing makes everyone in that camp look like lameos. If your justification is "there's ng+ and ten save slots" and assume everyone's willing to slog through handfuls of play throughs and characters to experience poo poo someone else stole from them, you need to take a break from your videogames and get some fresh air.

killing NPCs sounds great until you realize it would happen to you, from other people who are hacking, with impunity and without mercy, unless you played offline exclusively.

like, do people who want this to be a thing fantasize that they are tallgeese and that they will magically come up with some kind of coding sorcery that will let them figure out how to kill NPCs in other people's games without having to face any consequences themselves?

spoiler: you are not the golden god who ruins the fun of others, you are the turd who hits lothric highwall in ember form and is immediately invaded by a hacker and every NPC in your game is immediately killed and you don't even know that it happened because you're a bug on their windshield.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
People can't hack on the ps4

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

killing NPCs sounds great until you realize it would happen to you, from other people who are hacking, with impunity and without mercy, unless you played offline exclusively.

like, do people who want this to be a thing fantasize that they are tallgeese and that they will magically come up with some kind of coding sorcery that will let them figure out how to kill NPCs in other people's games without having to face any consequences themselves?

spoiler: you are not the golden god who ruins the fun of others, you are the turd who hits lothric highwall in ember form and is immediately invaded by a hacker and every NPC in your game is immediately killed and you don't even know that it happened because you're a bug on their windshield.

I would be fine with this happening to myself.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just beat the game. I was SL 80 at comedian, and respecced after everything and went for a 40 strength 40 dexterity quality build. With the 27 in vigor, that doesn't leave me much for endurance or armor sets. I've heard that staying at or around 80 is the best. I went up to 83 I think with the extra souls I had. What levels are people generally in ng+? If I go up to 100 or so will summons dry up? Mostly for bosses, not pvp.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
At launch people said the meta was 120 and I've stayed there and am swamped with signs and poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

vandalism posted:

I just beat the game. I was SL 80 at comedian, and respecced after everything and went for a 40 strength 40 dexterity quality build. With the 27 in vigor, that doesn't leave me much for endurance or armor sets. I've heard that staying at or around 80 is the best. I went up to 83 I think with the extra souls I had. What levels are people generally in ng+? If I go up to 100 or so will summons dry up? Mostly for bosses, not pvp.

100-120 is quite busy, at least on PS4.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The meta always creeps upwards so 120 is very safe.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

A lot of people are actually sticking at 99 now from what I keep seeing, so as to have some higher-ish level but dodge the 120 and slightly higher junk.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

IMO invaders should be able to douse bonfires

I would legit agree with this if it meant doing so would no longer let hosts summon help for that session. 1 douse consumable : 1 pvp host kill

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

A lot of people are actually sticking at 99 now from what I keep seeing, so as to have some higher-ish level but dodge the 120 and slightly higher junk.

That's super dumb, lol.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Literally even caring about any meta at all is the superest dumbest.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

it still is possible and always has been

what in gods name

Yardbomb posted:

Looks more fun than 120 fight clubs :shrug:

Though I stay lower than that even, just making GBS threads it up as an Aldrichpal.

the 120 meta always struck me as weird because it's just several thousand people with quality builds. stat investment is more meaningful at mid-level ranges because you can't just do everything but idk why you would specifically attempt to avoid playing with 120 players

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 22, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Genocyber posted:

That's super dumb, lol.

Looks more fun than 120 fight clubs :shrug:

Though I stay lower than that even, just making GBS threads it up as an Aldrichpal.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Literally even caring about any meta at all is the superest dumbest.

I mean... no?

Some people like to do fightclubs or whatever. If you don't want to, then don't.

The meta is just attempting to get the most amount of people able to play with each other, because more is better than less. It's the same principle as people asking "what level were most of you at in X area", for maximum co-op or pvp opportunities.

Sometimes there's a bit of debate about what level is best, because some builds get hosed over at lower levels, but really it's just saying "a bunch of people have agreed to stop here, so you'll probably get more action if you stop there too."

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

turtlecrunch posted:

Not really. There was a Gatsu with a halberd/curved sword/etc but that was solved by never summoning him again.

Not sure what you meant by this. A full moveset switch shouldn't be possible.

As an aside, killing NPCs is reversible by simply toggling the flags back again, but of course risks a softban.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 22, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I miss ratbro reverse invasions. That covenant was great because all people could complain about is losing a bit of time if they got summoned and killed.

I preferred bell keepers. The old iron keep bell tower was a very fun and quite nice-looking arena and the invasions tended to not start until after the first half of the enemies (who were piss easy) were cleared out anyway, so that minimized "invader hides behind monsters" cheese. I had all sorts of really great fights there. There was even some red phantom named something like BELL KEEPER POLICE who would invade and try to protect players while killing bell keepers and other invaders.

Sorcery was also a valid choice in that game so I had one point I went high-int with dual-fists and then would surprise people with soul greatsword out of nowhere

e: And the bellkeeper areas were completely optional, so I never ran into body-guarded idiots and people generally seemed to be pretty chill

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 22, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

if you kill an invader their arms should be ripped off irl because they're scum and the guilty pay the price

bellbros need not apply because those places are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

actionjackson posted:

*commits seppuku*

If you're okay with summoning help on a SL1 challenge run, I think that's cool; most of us can't even do a no-summon run on normally-leveled characters.