Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Got it.

My plan is to get the MOS of dragon slaying, but also be the pogiest of the pog in the reserves, so that'll be my quest. Just got my orders for OCS about 10 minutes ago.

rip in piss sir 07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
The other day we were practicing patrolling and I looked up and saw a Warthog in the distance doing a strafing run. I thought about it and realized I had no idea what to do if a plane tried to strafe us. Or if a tank tried to gently caress us up. We've been fighting the same type of war for the past 15 years.

Granted, I'm just a field MP, not a grunt, so hopefully they would know, but I wonder how hosed we would be if a conventional war broke out tomorrow.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Yarville posted:

The other day we were practicing patrolling and I looked up and saw a Warthog in the distance doing a strafing run. I thought about it and realized I had no idea what to do if a plane tried to strafe us. Or if a tank tried to gently caress us up. We've been fighting the same type of war for the past 15 years.

Granted, I'm just a field MP, not a grunt, so hopefully they would know, but I wonder how hosed we would be if a conventional war broke out tomorrow.

You'd pray to whatever deity you believe in before getting turned into paste.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Yarville posted:

if a plane is strafing your patrol, you spread out perpendicular to the angle of attack, get cover and hope a 23mm shell doesnt rip you apart. i forget what they told us if its a helo, mightve been something dumb like lay down parallel to it? but id guess your best bet would be engage with small arms and maybe you get lucky

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You'd probably just get JDAMed or the foreign equivalent. Take solace in knowing you'll only hear a slight whistle about two seconds before you turn into nothing. No one's gonna waste plane bullets on troops in the open. Helicopter though? If they're as skilled as most h-1 pilots and door gunner's you stand a fair chance of survival.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've shot down many a planes in CoD with my M4, they take about 200 rounds but you get like +10 points when you down that sumbitch.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

if a plane is strafing your patrol, you spread out perpendicular to the angle of attack, get cover and hope a 23mm shell doesnt rip you apart. i forget what they told us if its a helo, mightve been something dumb like lay down parallel to it? but id guess your best bet would be engage with small arms and maybe you get lucky

Wave to the pilot and thank God you get to die in a pretty fuckin metal way

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Syrians have a pretty good success rate with "wait for it to land because of engine issues, then shoot it with a Javelin your American friends bought for you"

Don't forget to upload it to YouTube

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
lol at worrying about immediate action for air craft

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Yarville posted:

lay perpendicular to the path of the gun run

that makes police calling your body parts way easier

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

this is the correct response really. the next time us ground forces will have to worry about the skies not being swept clear we will all be long dead

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Put your trust in laad boys.

Things no one has ever said.

vains
May 26, 2004

an lav might hit a helo if it wasnt maneuvering aggressively and it was within a klick

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

an lav might hit a helo if it wasnt maneuvering aggressively and it was within a klick

You can hit them with the crow system gyro stabilized turrets they tested on MATVs and MTVRs. They use the same stabilization as the LAV machine guns.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I wonder if this is just something they put into training just so there's something to answer with when some boot puts his dickskinner in the air and asks. Like those duck and cover drills for nuclear attacks. You're not going to survive, but it eases the mind to think there's a plan.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I assume stingers start getting issued in that kind of situation for Helos. For fixed wing? Just hope they aren't aiming for you and find cover/drop to the ground?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the MOS for stingers is an airwing for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_MOS#Enlisted

scroll down to 7212

In all likely hood I'd imagine the USMC's ability to shoot down hostile, current gen aircraft to be pretty loving garbage so you better just loving cry like a girl into every frequency you have that a big mean airplane is about to loving gib you

PookBear fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 22, 2016

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

red19fire posted:

I wonder if this is just something they put into training just so there's something to answer with when some boot puts his dickskinner in the air and asks. Like those duck and cover drills for nuclear attacks. You're not going to survive, but it eases the mind to think there's a plan.

We legitimately used to practice "herringbone" maneuvers perpendicular to the approach vector of an enemy aircraft. This was before OIF when most of our doctrine was all cold war era stuff. When we did CAX the coyotes had a mechanized company of old Russian BMPS and troop transports and we'd pretend we were fighting the soviets. They even took one of my Marines because they spoke Russian well enough to be an aggressor for the scenarios.

Whether or not any of that poo poo could actually save lives is another question entirely. I imagine it'd be more like most of the gun cam footage on liveleak where there is only like 3 seconds or so to actually react to the incoming munitions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

We legitimately used to practice "herringbone" maneuvers perpendicular to the approach vector of an enemy aircraft. This was before OIF when most of our doctrine was all cold war era stuff. When we did CAX the coyotes had a mechanized company of old Russian BMPS and troop transports and we'd pretend we were fighting the soviets. They even took one of my Marines because they spoke Russian well enough to be an aggressor for the scenarios.

Whether or not any of that poo poo could actually save lives is another question entirely. I imagine it'd be more like most of the gun cam footage on liveleak where there is only like 3 seconds or so to actually react to the incoming munitions.

When executed properly only half the convoy dies.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

We'd be better off practicing dodging USAF bombs instead of enemy ones, honestly.

Discount_Bees
Aug 1, 2007

How do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?

Bob A Feet posted:

If they're as skilled as most h-1 pilots and door gunner's you stand a fair chance of survival.

Hey you can go gently caress yourself :mad:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Discount_Bees posted:

Hey you can go gently caress yourself :mad:

At least people don't forget your chopper actually has a gun

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

They recocked a scenario once because someone thought it would be a good idea to drive through rainbow canyon without checking it first and Super J and the other guys they took from our battery just set up there just went max depression on the vehicle miles and fired. Same timeframe someone who I wont name since they're still in got field head. From a wookie.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Steezo posted:

They recocked a scenario once because someone thought it would be a good idea to drive through rainbow canyon without checking it first and Super J and the other guys they took from our battery just set up there just went max depression on the vehicle miles and fired. Same timeframe someone who I wont name since they're still in got field head. From a wookie.

Yeah it's kind of crazy how little redundancy there is for safely moving around the training area when parts of ranges are hot. We had some engineers register an NFA around an old FOB they were demilling with both infantry bns and BEARMAT. They were cleared to occupy the space through BEARMAT and sent out hourly radio checks over the same net that every training unit has to monitor. There was an Arty Battery firing in support of one of the infantry Bns who requested to prosecute (notional) targets in the same grid as the FOB that was being demilled. BEARMAT cleared the battery to put rounds into the air despite having just talked to the engineers in the FOB that was going to be fired on. Luckily the sun was going down and the forward observers noticed engineers turning on flood lights before the first rounds left the tubes. Had they not said something it's very likely the engineer platoon wouldn't be around anymore.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

To clarify this was all part of a MILES geared vehicle exercise and "good guys" drove into a box canyon ambush. Which higher then reset because "too stupid to do recon/everyone died" doesn't look good on paper.

Now LAR Captains actually had a hardon for driving into hot ranges and was the only time we got to yell at officers and be backed up by our command.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Steezo posted:

Now LAR Captains actually had a hardon for driving into hot ranges and was the only time we got to yell at officers and be backed up by our command.

They dont' call it "Lost And Retarded" for nothing!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Old high school friend of mine is a corpsman, just got attached to some west coast unit. Today on FB he posts "when you're about to get gassed, but gas masks weren't on your gear list"

:v:

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

They dont' call it "Lost And Retarded" for nothing!

but never tired or hungry

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The best GoFundMe in a while: raising money to place a Brachiosaurus statue at the barracks in 29 Palms

https://www.gofundme.com/25r3emqg

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Old high school friend of mine is a corpsman, just got attached to some west coast unit. Today on FB he posts "when you're about to get gassed, but gas masks weren't on your gear list"

:v:

Why would I gas people that have masks?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you haven't already flooded your social media with reminders to the civilian scum about what memorial Day is really about and guilt tripping them about enjoying time off work, youre behind the power curve

red19fire
May 26, 2010

No, actually you don't give a gently caress about the troops.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is there a GiP recommended supplier for miniature medals to wear with a civilian suit, like the ones you can just summarize your Awards section from your DD214 and they'll pre-assemble the rack for you so you can just pin it on? I don't want to be the douchebag wearing it hither and yon or anything, but I could see it being appropriate for attending someone's promotion, a Birthday Ball, Memorial Day, etc.

I don't plan to wear any medals that I didn't get awarded because I'm not a prat, but just to double-check, there's no legal significance whatsoever to wearing medals as a civilian unless you're perpetrating fraud, right? So if I wear them with a suit to some hippie peacenik rally or something so a cop has to look bad smacking me instead of a kid in a hoodie, it's in "poor taste" but legally insignificant, yes?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The first amendment protects your right to wear whatever medals you want as a civilian, and even in places with retarded stolen valor laws you can't get in trouble for wearing medals you were awarded.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So if I wear them with a suit to some hippie peacenik rally or something so a cop has to look bad smacking me instead of a kid in a hoodie, it's in "poor taste" but legally insignificant, yes?

Wear your blues.

Rage againt the machine.

Get yo dick sucked.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Victor Vermis posted:

Wear your blues.

Rage againt the machine.

Get yo dick sucked.

Nah, already sold the monkey-suit to a baby WO entering Quantico; I thought it'd just be sad to have it sitting in a box rotting away for years, might as well let someone else enjoy it and my bitchin' Sam Browne belt.

I've wore my 1st MarDiv pin on my lapel while dropping into Congressional offices in DC during the campaign to legalize cannabis. I'm not normally one to pull the vet card, but having me show up in a suit and say "I'm a Marine combat veteran and small business owner" got me a lot of attention in a few offices, particularly for any states that I had the most tangential tie to, which I think wouldn't have been the case for some pony-tailed guy with gauges in a Baja pullover and jorts.

I'm not going to fake any funk or anything, but if laying my cards out is helpful in being "one of the good ones" at a political event, I'm totally winning to pin on some little medals, bring my medical cane to lean on. I debated wearing one of those red oval office-caps, since those fascist at the American Legion or whatever don't have any trademark on them, but a) they look goofy b) it's a little on-the-nose c) my honky skin burns easily, so probably just a Panama hat like I wore during the weed campaign with shirt and tie.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
instead of walking around looking like a huge tool with a bunch of ribbons pinned to your blazer, just introduce yourself like you have been. if anyone cares enough about your claims to fact check, im sure they have some intern that could dig up what they need to about you

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
God drat topsail beach on a holiday weekend is a loving nightmare. Marines shouldn't be allowed to marry

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Bob A Feet posted:

God drat topsail beach on a holiday weekend is a loving nightmare. Marines shouldn't be allowed to marry

Concur, however; out of barracks until divorce (no more field day) and doubling your paycheck is pretty loving lucrative to your average devil pup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bob A Feet posted:

Top Sail is much better than Emerald Isle though. Fishing off of that pier is pretty loving phenomenal. I caught more fish off of there than anywhere else in the ocean combined.

• Locked thread