Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Viral Warfare posted:

LOL

ed: It's just straight up retarded to pay for something that you know absolutely nothing about, no matter how much you trust a company. I still haven't bought Conclave or Cossacks for CK2/EU4, or any of the song packs, or the unit packs, or the loving Ebooks, and I wouldn't have that option if I was a retard and bought some Bethesda-style DLC pass thing

evidently you don't, but like i said, i trust paradox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also conclave is a good expansion

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

You going to reform the Roman Empire?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rome is fun but it crashes after a few decades for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Larry Parrish posted:

Rome is fun but it crashes after a few decades for me.

They should make a Rome II.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

They should make a Rome II.

This but march of eagles

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Give Rome 2 a co-op mode that lets people play competing dynasties/factions within a country.

Then run a giant Crete MP game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Takanago posted:

Give Rome 2 a co-op mode that lets people play competing dynasties/factions within a country.

Now, who would get to control the Populists, you or Gorgo?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takanago posted:

This would be fun.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
How do I get shadow Hitler as my avatar on the paradox forums? Please help.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wooper posted:

How do I get shadow Hitler as my avatar on the paradox forums? Please help.

It's the bonus avatar for owning iron cross.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

uPen posted:

It's the bonus avatar for owning iron cross.

I can't tell if this is real or not. It is entertaining either way.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

cool and good posted:

This but march of eagles

March of the Eagles had a lot of really cool things going for it and it was a really tight 10-hour weekend multiplayer game. It unfortunately only had about 5 good playthroughs worth of material for a single-player game, but it was a game you could do multiplayer in a weekend and have a definite endpoint giving a clear winner, which has a bit of its own appeal, but how many Paradox players actually do multiplayer.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fermun posted:

March of the Eagles had a lot of really cool things going for it and it was a really tight 10-hour weekend multiplayer game. It unfortunately only had about 5 good playthroughs worth of material for a single-player game, but it was a game you could do multiplayer in a weekend and have a definite endpoint giving a clear winner, which has a bit of its own appeal, but how many Paradox players actually do multiplayer.

Disturbingly low number considering how much of any particular game is designed with MP in mind and how little it is for SP

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

I think it's totally understandable that on a personal level you don't want to get cosmetic DLC. Saying you can't fathom why anyone would though is pretty bizarre.
It just feels a bit too much liek poo poo what shoulda been part of the game already and be part of the free patches? Only I guess they gotta pay the artists, which is genuinely a good thing because artists are way underpaid.

GSD posted:

also conclave is a good expansion
Conclave is great, its' just that I somewhat feel like some of the stuff therein shoulda been part of the game from the start, as much of the so called drama with vassal relations never really became apparent.

Also, gently caress going from tribal to civilized post-conclave. SO many goddamn reforms that they ALWAYS go against...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

Disturbingly low number considering how much of any particular game is designed with MP in mind and how little it is for SP

To be fair I don't play Paradox multi that much but generally prefer it when they make their "changes for multiplayer" since I'd rather have a tight, well-balanced singleplayer experience

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Larry Parrish posted:

I would gladly have paid for 20 different content packs if it meant estates and states never got into EU4. So glad we have Stuff To Do In Peace Time, as I click each province after conquering it 5 times instead of once

New click'em'up - Province Clicker.

Estates are fairly anodyne - they're something I fiddle with every decade or so when I want a bonus to my monarch points or want to spend some time min-maxing my economy when there is going to be a long dry spell to the next war. States have had no effect on my gameplay at all and seem to be an overly complicated solution to the corner case of Castile taking land in North Africa.

The mechanic I do kvetch about is province development - I already have two things to spend my monarch points on, tech and ideas. Giving me a 3rd thing to spend on which only gives me a small incremental bonus means everytime I have to choose between the 3 - province development always loses out.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the funny thing is that states actually make 'castile taking land in north africa' worse (or, at least, less historical), since that land was historically governed as a 'distant overseas' non-'core' territory. as i understand it.

the bit where this really messes with gameplay is with colonization in sub-saharan africa, since the ai tends to turn everything into states rather than adding them to trade companies. or they did, anyway, haven't played since the latest patch

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

the bit where this really messes with gameplay is with colonization in sub-saharan africa, since the ai tends to turn everything into states rather than adding them to trade companies. or they did, anyway, haven't played since the latest patch

I'm pretty sure that was fixed, no more easy westernization for you Asians/Africans!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

evidently you don't, but like i said, i trust paradox

I trust Paradox not to cheat us out of our money or to gently caress us over on purpose, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily like what they end up creating. There's EUIV DLC that's completely legitimate, that I assume they put a lot of time and effort into, but that I would still never buy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah but you just said you haven't bought any EU4 DLC right? I've bought every single one, nearly always on launch. For half off on launch I think I'd have actually bought every single one. I don't really buy the "it incentivizes them to produce dreck if they have all the money already" argument either, Paradox as a company lives in no small part thanks to goodwill and the assumption their games and DLC will be patched up, and I don't think they'd want to throw that away for a quick buck.

V for Vegas posted:

The mechanic I do kvetch about is province development - I already have two things to spend my monarch points on, tech and ideas. Giving me a 3rd thing to spend on which only gives me a small incremental bonus means everytime I have to choose between the 3 - province development always loses out.

It's a monarch point sink, nothing more. Before they added development, if you were a western team it was fairly routine to find yourself hitting the cap and so you'd have to plan out conquests/ harsh treatment around it a whole bunch or find yourself wasting MP. Now you can just put it into your provinces for a small but not completely worthless boost.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The point of the DLC system is that you can pick and choose what to get based off what you think looks cool and what you think it doesn't. Trust Paradox all you want, sure, but just buying anything based off nothing but trust is closer to fanboyism than anything.

e; And I mean that's not necessarily bad but you should own up to it rather than pretend otherwise.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't really feel like I need to own up to anything but yeah I guess that's valid. At the end of the day worst case scenario it sets me back $27 though so I can't say I feel like I'm taking a blind leap of faith or anything.

fe: also I'm one of those people who is actually interested in art books

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I posted this yesterday in the HoI4 thread but I want to post it here as well because some of you may not have seen it that would like to see it, justifying-DLC conversation is just about the worst thing ever, and I like the attention.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So how are you going to be rejiggering national spirits for the 1990s?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Where's France?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

So how are you going to be rejiggering national spirits for the 1990s?

Germany: Blühende Landschaften (-20% IC)

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

America definitely need the Back To Back World War Champion national spirit.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Wooper posted:

America definitely need the Back To Back World War Champion national spirit.

This would be a great national focus item that leads to increasing militarism. Coming up with all the national focuses for the 1990s-2000s is going to be a lot of fun, I think.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Watching other developer's Twitch streams (Creative Assembly at the moment) makes me really understand how professional Paradox's setup is, and how good of a job cKnoor does at managing that poo poo.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

Germany: Blühende Landschaften (-20% IC)

lmao

also Japan: Ushinawareta Nijūnen (-20% IC over 20 years)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

Watching other developer's Twitch streams (Creative Assembly at the moment) makes me really understand how professional Paradox's setup is, and how good of a job cKnoor does at managing that poo poo.

Link? Never seen them stream.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Groogy posted:

Link? Never seen them stream.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

So the biggest "offense" is that they have been basically completely ignoring their game for the past half hour, talking about office inside jokes and random English geography stuff while one of their guys silently plays the game, instead of actually like... showcasing their game. They've been tossing out Steam keys randomly in chat (for the DLC that you get for free anyway by purchasing, only rarely for the basegame), leaving out the last letter/number of the key. So everyone trying to redeem the keys has now gotten locked out of redeeming keys on Steam for too many failed attempts. When pressed on it, they admitted that they "weren't allowed" to run raffles.

Other things they apparently aren't allowed to do (by whom?) that are more annoying than anything:

-Drink Coke on stream
-Mention the names of movies (instead they've had to circumlocute their way around movie references by saying things like "a certain film that we aren't permitted to name in which Jude Law portrayed a sniper on the Eastern Front...")
-Have banned a few people for asking questions about the above
-Reminding people every five minutes that the game comes out at 8am BST, when they could just... idk, put it in a countdown? Or in the steam title? They then have had to explain several more times to people what BST is and no, they didn't say PST...

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

So the biggest "offense" is that they have been basically completely ignoring their game for the past half hour, talking about office inside jokes and random English geography stuff while one of their guys silently plays the game, instead of actually like... showcasing their game. They've been tossing out Steam keys randomly in chat (for the DLC that you get for free anyway by purchasing, only rarely for the basegame), leaving out the last letter/number of the key. So everyone trying to redeem the keys has now gotten locked out of redeeming keys on Steam for too many failed attempts. When pressed on it, they admitted that they "weren't allowed" to run raffles.

Other things they apparently aren't allowed to do (by whom?) that are more annoying than anything:

-Drink Coke on stream
-Mention the names of movies (instead they've had to circumlocute their way around movie references by saying things like "a certain film that we aren't permitted to name in which Jude Law portrayed a sniper on the Eastern Front...")
-Have banned a few people for asking questions about the above
-Reminding people every five minutes that the game comes out at 8am BST, when they could just... idk, put it in a countdown? Or in the steam title? They then have had to explain several more times to people what BST is and no, they didn't say PST...

completelly making GBS threads on twcenter and paradoxplaza gits is the best thing official streams can do tbh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
CA loving something up, what a surprise. At least they didnt gently caress up the game, as far as we know anyway

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh, and I guess another huge difference: CA's stream is run pretty much exclusively by their Community Managers, while Paradox's stream is a mix of CM, dev, project lead, and cKnoor.

Paradoxically (heh), you would think that a stream run by people whose literal job it is to manage the communtiy would be good, but nope! It's poo poo!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It seems that whenever Paradox and CA get in a fight, Paradox wins. Johan making fun of CA's AI was the best.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In light of Stellaris' AI that wasn't quite so funny after all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pharnakes posted:

In light of Stellaris' AI that wasn't quite so funny after all :(

What AI