Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Attestant posted:

Early Ds2 can be a bit stingy with basic titanite.

You can get a +4 weapon before fighting a single boss, and a +6 not long after beating two.

DS2 is mostly very good about feeding you upgrade materials at a pace that allows you to have secondary weapons that are almost as upgraded as your current main, and twinkling titanite weapons are effectively pre-upgraded anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Danaru posted:

You can just smash down that door?!

Yes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
I'm gonna go ahead and quote a LindyBeige video here regarding those barrels;

"Why do we have gunpowder stores!? We don't have guns!"

Although seeing you accidentally blow your own face off with those things does remain entertaining.

Also placing an ironclad dude there in SOtFS seems mean. But it does seem those barrels explode far more readily now. I definately remember they needed fire to blow up before and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it.

But it is a convenient way to get that ironclad thing to blow itself up instead. The barrels are placed in such a way to encourage it, even. I'm pleasantly surprised at that design decision. I'm fairly sure they reduced the agro range on the firebomb guy perched on the corner as well.

Which they immediately ruin by creating that loving soldier gangbang trap on that arena up the ladder. You noping out of that area initially was probably for the best. And absolute gold. But it does highlight the general weakness of the level design which I am kinda surprised took this long to start showing up. As Vicas said; Dark Souls 2 level design is basically "throw a bunch of enemies there". Enemies that don't really have much of a pause between their attacks which mean they leapfrog their bullshit constantly. As was seen here, even just three enemies can be very hard to deal with, as not only do they offer almost no window to actually get your own attacks in; but due to them being kinda fast are also very difficult to split up so you maybe can give yourself a window.

But this is merely the first taste and is kind of a mild example. Much worse to come.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 22, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fuckin' goddamn you and your cowardice Geop :argh:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

I think Geop subscribes to the principal of "discretion is the better part of valor."

I mean it is a little frustrating but it's funny in its own way? :shrug:

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

I'm sorry, but this is the first thing that came to mind after I finished this episode.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MGlBlaze posted:

But it does seem those barrels explode far more readily now. I definately remember they needed fire to blow up before and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it.

Fire Longsword

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MGlBlaze posted:

Also placing an ironclad dude there in SOtFS seems mean. But it does seem those barrels explode far more readily now. I definately remember they needed fire to blow up before and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it.

I think the only thing that's really changed about the barrels is that they blow up when you roll into them. In non-Scholar they require a solid hit from you or an enemy to blow up. Emphasis on 'solid,' some enemies won't trigger explosions with their attacks.

Also that arena is tons different. There weren't even any items up there in vanilla!

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

scamtank posted:

Fire Longsword

I said "and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it." after clarifying that fire definately blew them up. Like fire from the Fire Longsword. I can't recall if Geop showed a non-fire weapon hit detonating that stuff, but I definitely remember him sending Goonther rolling into the barrel and blowing it up. Unless rolling does blow them up while non-fire weapons don't. Which is really dumb, if that is the case.

Edit;

EponymousMrYar posted:

I think the only thing that's really changed about the barrels is that they blow up when you roll into them.

Oh, so they did add that? That seems kinda dumb.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 22, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm not positive on the status of every single goddamn barrel in the game, but the powder kegs in the first half of Cellblock Givsmethawillies are the only ones I've ever been able to blow up by pretending that I'm a firebomb and hurling myself at them

and even those I've sometimes managed to roll through without incident

e: wait no there was a second set too! the ones tucked in the corner of that barrel room in LB

scamtank fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 22, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Notorious QIG posted:

That is the best part, dunno what you are talking about.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:doh:

Is- is that kinda cool boss intro just never going to happen again because he coward turtled out of it??

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

:doh:

Is- is that kinda cool boss intro just never going to happen again because he coward turtled out of it??

It's the same intro as the cinematic boss intro all bosses get when you go in their fog door. The only added thing IIRC is the initial swoop.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

scamtank posted:

I'm not positive on the status of every single goddamn barrel in the game, but the powder kegs in the first half of Cellblock Givsmethawillies are the only ones I've ever been able to blow up by pretending that I'm a firebomb and hurling myself at them

and even those I've sometimes managed to roll through without incident

e: wait no there was a second set too! the ones tucked in the corner of that barrel room in LB

God damnit I swear in this LP Goother rolled into a barrel and made it blow up, but now I can't find it and I feel like I'm losing my mind or something.

I'll just concede that I might be mistaken on this one before I go hollow.

I do remember that area, though. I remember one specific area where enemies tended to blow up the barrels even though they had absolutely nothing to do with fire (just like Mr. ironclad in that new part) because Dark Souls 2 obeying its own rules is apparently unreasonable. That may have gotten me killed a couple of times.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'd like to confirm that the 3 dudes that wake up and attack you wont do so until you kill the optional/missed boss there or it leaves. So that was "nice" of SotFS, I guess.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2016

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'd like to confirm that the 3 dudes that wake up and attack you wont do so until you kill the optional boss there or it leaves. So that was "nice" of SotFS, I guess.

Well that's a hell of a lot more credit than I would have given Dark Souls 2. That's something at least.

Maybe the enemies are smart enough to know to play dead until it goes away?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, the swoop was the important part. Every time I've seen someone run into it is pretty great.

Someone draw that guy looking sad and alone in the background as Goonther mashes his face into a barrel.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

No spoiler tags, friend. Unless you want to get the thread locked yet again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MGlBlaze posted:

I said "and rolling or hitting it with some other weapon didn't do it." after clarifying that fire definately blew them up. Like fire from the Fire Longsword. I can't recall if Geop showed a non-fire weapon hit detonating that stuff, but I definitely remember him sending Goonther rolling into the barrel and blowing it up. Unless rolling does blow them up while non-fire weapons don't. Which is really dumb, if that is the case.

Edit;

Oh, so they did add that? That seems kinda dumb.

They don't always blow up when you roll into them, in fact I've never experienced that myself. They will explode if they're hit with enough force, like the ironclads' hammer as demonstrated, so it could be that only certain roll frames will set them off. It could also have something to do with roll iframes, since geop has no adaptability.

oh my god geop you are such a weenie

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This lp is like watching blind people try to herd a deaf cat.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
That archer that gets pushed off the ledge frequently and lives kind of highlights one of the inconsistencies of DS2, where drops that won't do enough damage to finish off weakened enemies will kill you from full health because gently caress you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Some attacks (such as from the Old Ironclad Soldiers' hammers) will send off sparks and consequently detonate the explosive barrels, but as been mentioned above any source of fire damage (such as the Fire Longsword) will do that as well. They weren't in DS1, but I know they've at least been in Demon's Souls/DS2/DS3. (I'm guessing that barrels didn't fit Bloodborne's design aesthetic in general.) But regardless they shouldn't blow up if you roll into them; in fact rolling into explosive barrels is a very good way to defuse them.

Just about every time DS2 gives you multiple enemies in an area (and grouping multiple enemies isn't at all unique to DS2, but it's more immediately obvious here), there's still a way to deal with them in a reasonable and efficient manner. The first and foremost tool in one's arsenal should of course be "how do I pull them back and funnel them?", followed closely by "how can I pull them apart?" and "how can I make use of differing AI patterns?". Geop got stomped there because he was charging in head-on to a group of three enemies instead of trying to separate them or to move the combat off the high platform, but to his credit (and as Mighty Dicktron referenced) DS1 doesn't teach you nearly as well about how to deal with multi-enemy encounters.

Lizard Wizard posted:

:psyduck:

Just how big are your videos?
I'd guess perhaps 1 GB, given that they're all 720p at 60fps. Things add up, after all.

Steak Eater posted:

That archer that gets pushed off the ledge frequently and lives kind of highlights one of the inconsistencies of DS2, where drops that won't do enough damage to finish off weakened enemies will kill you from full health because gently caress you.
Falling damage is based on some fraction of your maximum health, and can be arrested somewhat by proper collision with slopes and the like.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do wish he had not chickened out and at least waited for the guy to land. Before saying it was out of his league.

sgtsnookums
Nov 20, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

I'd guess perhaps 1 GB, given that they're all 720p at 60fps. Things add up, after all.

Close.
I pulled the first seven before hosting went down, they average a little under 700 MB; 4.8 GB total. 625 people downloading the whole thing would make the 3TB estimate, and Episode 1 already has almost 6000 views on youtube, with some dropoff as the series goes on.
Granted, not everyone would be going for the hosted videos but yeah, 3TB of transfers in a month is pretty easy to get to.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i did a thing at a bar

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Try dumping.

Please don't give out relationship advice.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This lp is like watching blind people try to herd a deaf cat.
you must be new here

Notorious QIG posted:

Right, it's not like the game/series has a habit out of instantly killing you for various reasons :colbert: I figured something was gonna drop on me or a dragon was gonna do a fly-by with fire. Because the latter in particular *definitely* happened in Demon's Souls & Dark Souls 1 after ginormous wings are heard flappin' around

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's not like this game has very light to no consequences for dying either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair this being SotFS we didn't really miss out on much there. Also, for posterity:
"I don't think things have much elemental resistance" - Vicas, 2016.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The three hollow soldiers up by the swooping thing don't actually wake up until the danger is gone. So yeah, killing that thing is not worse than the base version.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wait a shortcut back to cardinal tower opens up if those barrels explode :psyduck:???? WHAT THE HELL. I have played like 300 hours of this game and never knew that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you get the positioning right you can actually throw a firebomb at the wall from the bonfire side and have the explosion clip through to the barrels for a very brief sequence break.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna be surprised if there's no Katamari Damacy joke with that random boulder.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nanomashoes posted:

Wait a shortcut back to cardinal tower opens up if those barrels explode :psyduck:???? WHAT THE HELL. I have played like 300 hours of this game and never knew that.

i completely missed it in ds2, only found it when small white soapstone-ing for someone in scholars. you are not alone...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

there's always one

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

NGDBSS posted:

Some attacks (such as from the Old Ironclad Soldiers' hammers) will send off sparks and consequently detonate the explosive barrels, but as been mentioned above any source of fire damage (such as the Fire Longsword) will do that as well. They weren't in DS1, but I know they've at least been in Demon's Souls/DS2/DS3. (I'm guessing that barrels didn't fit Bloodborne's design aesthetic in general.) But regardless they shouldn't blow up if you roll into them; in fact rolling into explosive barrels is a very good way to defuse them.

how soon we forget

D_W posted:

I didn't butcher it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PleasingFungus posted:

how soon we forget

well that barrel is certainly not going to explode again anytime soon

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's the same intro as the cinematic boss intro all bosses get when you go in their fog door. The only added thing IIRC is the initial swoop.

And swooping is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nanomashoes posted:

I missed that as well. I feel dumb.

Dark Souls summation #3,247: Wait there is that incredibly convenient thing RIGHT THERE how did I miss it despite playing this game for forever and a half.

Dark Souls summation #2: I feel dumb.

• Locked thread