Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I didn't see anyone else mention this, but the Grandmaster casting gave me an odd thought.

In the next 4-ish years we are building up the MCU to take on (and probably defeat) Thanos, and be loosely based on the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

After that, in theory, several major actors could walk away, leaving vacancies in roles such as Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk...whoever.

My thought was, if they are looking for another major story line to build to after Infinity War, and we're getting the Grandmaster, would that open the door for a "Contest of Champions" adaptation? Would also bee a good way to have any new actors in old roles get folded in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
There's also the fact that since the MCU is doing cosmic stuff, we could have the actual origin for Venom on screen as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I believe Venom is still getting the movie where it's not connected Spider-Man or the MCU at all. Because that makes sense.

EDIT: Deadline is reporting now that Michael Keaton in Spider-Man Homecoming is a done deal.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 21, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

I believe Venom is still getting the movie where it's not connected Spider-Man or the MCU at all. Because that makes sense.

EDIT: Deadline is reporting now that Michael Keaton in Spider-Man Homecoming is a done deal.
I'll believe that as soon as they release that Sinister Six movie they still seem to think is not dead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kids love Venom for some reason, so they're certainly going to try to do something with him.

The best thing about Hela is they totally can do her big crazy helmet.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Kids love Venom for some reason, so they're certainly going to try to do something with him.

He's a scary inky goop monster who has powers similar to Spidey, what's not to love?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The concept of Venom is interesting and there's some really neat things you can do with Venom in a Spider-Man movie.

They have chosen to do none of those things.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so glad they got Keaton after all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It just seems like using the Vulture as the next Spider-Man villain will be a waste, since Vulture sucks. And Keaton would play a tremendous Norman Osborn for a Dark Reign event that ties into the MCU, even though moviegoers might be sick of Osborn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Norman Osborn has been in one Spider-Man movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It just seems like using the Vulture as the next Spider-Man villain will be a waste, since Vulture sucks. And Keaton would play a tremendous Norman Osborn for a Dark Reign event that ties into the MCU, even though moviegoers might be sick of Osborn.

Harry would be the one they're sick of if that's even a real thing.

twistedmentat posted:

Kids love Venom for some reason

He's Spider-Man, but bigger, wears black, and has that sick tongue.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jamesman posted:

The concept of Venom is interesting and there's some really neat things you can do with Venom in a Spider-Man movie.

They have chosen to do none of those things.

I like Spider-Man 3's basic idea that Venom is a reflection of Peter, both visually and thematically instead of a body builder dude.

They just chose to do it in a way that was totally stupid.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Willem Dafoe in Spider-Man 1 and Chris Cooper in Amazing 1?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

He was in three of them, wasn't he?

He was in the first one, his ghost was in the second one, and then in Amazing Spider-Man 2 to show Harry how he's going to die from Plot Device Disease.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Yeah He was in the second Amazing Spider-man for like a minute.

And the ":geno: Avenge me. :argh: AVENGE ME!" Cameo in Rami's 2nd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was in 3 as well.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

If she's being candid - and she's unusually honest, especially comparison to the rest of her acting colleagues - then McAvoy, Fassbender, and her could all be exiting the film at the same time. If the three leads on a film series (and its three main draws) all leave it simultaneously, it's gonna be real interesting to see how Singer pivots with 7.

And Hugh Jackman leaving after Wolverine 3. I almost want to see all four leave just to see what the films do. If the rumors are true they're already going to have to introduce X-23 without Logan, and XM:A's going to have to really kill it with the new characters to make sequels without the big name actors possible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Travis343 posted:

Has JMS ever written anything good

Sense8 and Rising Stars

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, I keep forgetting JMS is a big part of Sense8. I wonder why I would forget that. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Man, I keep forgetting JMS is a big part of Sense8. I wonder why I would forget that. :v:

He's just overshadowed by the Wachowskis.

Same token: Chuck Austen is an executive producer and showrunner on Steven Universe.

(Disclaimer: I have never watched that show but I understand it's very popular.)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

DrProsek posted:

And Hugh Jackman leaving after Wolverine 3. I almost want to see all four leave just to see what the films do. If the rumors are true they're already going to have to introduce X-23 without Logan, and XM:A's going to have to really kill it with the new characters to make sequels without the big name actors possible.

I kind of want to see them close the door on this X-Men universe and start over. They've made what, seven films, and about three good ones altogether? Recast everybody, reboot back to X-Men, drop some continuity. It can't be worse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

qntm posted:

I kind of want to see them close the door on this X-Men universe and start over. They've made what, seven films, and about three good ones altogether? Recast everybody, reboot back to X-Men, drop some continuity. It can't be worse.

They did that one movie ago though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Same token: Chuck Austen is an executive producer and showrunner on Steven Universe.

(Disclaimer: I have never watched that show but I understand it's very popular.)

Was, he's only credited for season 1.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

qntm posted:

Travis343 posted:

They did that one movie ago though.

Yeah that's the biggest reason the Singer movies are such a setback for the Fox X-Men movies; they actually had a film that prominently featured a bunch of smaller characters and better yet, no Wolverine. And then one movie later, WHOOOOPS our bad, back to the Magneto/Xavier/Wolverine/Mystique(ft Beast and Quicksilver) power hour.

The best case scenario for Fox is that they delayed their reboot until all the big contracts run out, then finally do their reboot. I don't think that's what they're doing if Singer's talking X-Force and X-23 in future movies, but to be fair he can't exactly be talking "Yeah these movies are the end, we're gonna reboot this poo poo right after the next X-Men movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't want any reboots til I get a real X-23.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
First class was about Mags/Charles. The rest were afterthoughts.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
If X-men is going to be rebooted, it really needs to be done as a TV show. X-men really needs to have some room to be as crazy as possible.

But that's not happening anytime soon. Especially after Deadpool has probably given them SHARED CINEMATIC UNIVERSE aspirations.

Also, on JMS, does nobody love Babylon 5 anymore? It was some hardcore nerd poo poo, but it seems forgotten in a way that even Farscape isn't.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 22, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Probably because b5 isn't on streaming services. Which is a shame, because it is great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Everything that wasn't magneto, Charles, and arguably mystique in first class loving sucked though.

If they really truly wanted a clean break from continuity and legacy they'd do a new mutants movie as 7. Have the premiere of the next trilogy be one all about some new generation of kids assigned by Xavier, who makes a small cameo appearance at the beginning of the film, to accomplish some goal independent of magneto et al.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

Probably because b5 isn't on streaming services. Which is a shame, because it is great.

It also existed before Nerds automatically accepted any genre poo poo as the best ever and built whole fan communities around it. I blame Firefly for that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

It also existed before Nerds automatically accepted any genre poo poo as the best ever and built whole fan communities around it.

It really didn't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And at the end of its third weekend, CW has now definitively beaten BvS in both domestic and foreign totals, with a $347 million domestic total, 20 million more than BvS' LTD domestic in less than half the time. It also is the first movie of the year to break a billion dollars in worldwide ticket sales, and should beat Deadpool's high-water mark for total domestic sometime this week.

Keeping tabs on the box office just impresses on me how unbelievable Deadpool's performance in the box office really was. We're talking a film that made barely a hundred million dollars less than BvS, and that's off a worldwide performance that didn't include China (which might've made up the difference).

In other news, Apocalypse opened with a 100 million dollar international weekend (and that's with no China). It seems to be performing very strongly overseas, but the real test will be this Friday, and to see if the near-month of critical panning (combined with this week's reviews, most of which will be negative if past is precedent) ends up scaring away Chinese audiences next Friday like they did with BvS.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Does the xmen franchise scare away China or whatever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Men is about an oppressed minority gaining powers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does the xmen franchise scare away China or whatever?

No, but BvS got really horrible reviews and subsequently ended massively underperforming in China.

Like, as in, CW beat BvS' total China ticket sales...within its first weekend. Considering how much China loves American superhero movies it makes absolutely zero sense why that'd happen besides the Chinese populace being made aware that BvS sucks and deciding not to go see it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That doesn't make any sense, China doesn't give a poo poo about critic reviews.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mycot posted:

China only cares about whether a movie makes the central government look bad and that the movie is in IMAX and 3d.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

X-Men is about an oppressed minority gaining powers.

It's okay, they're not from Tibet.

Toxxupation posted:

No, but BvS got really horrible reviews and subsequently ended massively underperforming in China.

Like, as in, CW beat BvS' total China ticket sales...within its first weekend. Considering how much China loves American superhero movies it makes absolutely zero sense why that'd happen besides the Chinese populace being made aware that BvS sucks and deciding not to go see it.

I'm not entirely sure that's why it tanked, because it was weak from the get go. Opening weekend is less influenced by lovely reviews. It could be they just don't give a poo poo about Batman or Superman, but they love them some Iron Man. And Optimus Prime. Warner Brothers should have made Affleck wear the armored suit for the whole movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mycot posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

There's no other (reasonable) explanation. China loves American blockbusters, even America-centric films (I mean Captain America killed over there), and loves them some superhero films. But BvS totally underperformed across the Pacific and nobody really knows why.

China is already bleak and depressing to live in, maybe they don't like bleak and depressing escapism.

• Locked thread