Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Angry Lobster posted:

How the gently caress I've never undeerstood that reference before :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I guess it's not the dumbest thing people in this thread have believed over the years.

It's more that I want to believe than I think this is definitely what Butcher intended, because the idea of Summer Knight Tolkien kicking in Nazi faces is rad

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014
I think Butcher has said it was intended as an homage instead of literally being Tolkien, but I'm going to go death of the author on this one because I want to believe that Tolkien was toasting Winter fey at Kemmler's last stand.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Magres posted:

Oh I had no idea that the RR in JRR was Ronal Reuel.

No fuckin way, Tolkien was 100% the Summer Knight and there is nothing you can say to convince me otherwise. It's too awesome to not be true :colbert:

Seconded! I move nominations be closed!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of want his opposite number as Winter Knight to have gone by the name "Clive Staples" now.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Allegedly a Dresden Files page is one of the ten longest on Wikipedia. Way to go, spergs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/05/18/the-top-10-longest-wikipedia-articles/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I kind of want his opposite number as Winter Knight to have gone by the name "Clive Staples" now.
Only if he's insufferably preachy and only expresses himself in hamfisted allegory.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

So it looks like Paul Cornell's latest Shadow Police book got a title change and is out right now in the UK, and next week in the US.

quote:

Someone has murdered the ghost of Sherlock Holmes. But who is responsible - and will the murderer strike again?

As a fictional character remembered by the people of London, Holmes' ghost walked the city. But someone put a ceremonial dagger through his chest, with fatal consequences. What could be the motive?

A small team of Metropolitan Police detectives have 'the Sight' and they find themselves assigned to this twisty new investigation. They pursue a criminal genius, who lures them into a Sherlockian maze of too many clues and too much evidence. Yet they also have their own demons to fight.

Lisa Ross finds herself drawn to an actor who may or may not be a deity, and goes on a quest to win back her happiness. Lofthouse seeks to finally answer the question as to why she brought the team together. And while Quill battles for his sanity, Costain battles for his soul. Sefton just wants to bring his team back together - even if that takes him to the edge of death.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Kickstarter was funded, chapter one of Peace Talks was sent to backers.

looks like Harry's not going got be the only one with Pregnancy complications. And the return of Ramirez!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

anilEhilated posted:

Only if he's insufferably preachy and only expresses himself in hamfisted allegory.

Haha, yeah, that'd be great. :D

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cbservo posted:

Kickstarter was funded, chapter one of Peace Talks was sent to backers.

looks like Harry's not going got be the only one with Pregnancy complications. And the return of Ramirez!

:iia:

I really cannot wait for this book now.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Care to provide a hint about the pregnancy?

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Turdis McWordis posted:

Care to provide a hint about the pregnancy?

Hint spoiler

Not Looking good for Justine.

Heavy Spoiler

Babby vampire feeds continuously for the term. 50% mortality rate for mother. Vampires are usually infertile, happened anyway. Thomas doesn't know how.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I think I remember that first part being revealed somewhere else, maybe a first line reveal or something. But if so it had faded from my immediate memory. I think the Blood Rites backstory on White Court pregnancies was that they were just very rare. If any particular vampire was actually 100% infertile then the few who aren't would be under more pressure to replenish their numbers after a Dresden-type or intramural monster scrimmage thins them out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The very first line was revealed by Jim on twitter. Someone asked nicely.

It's on par with "They've taken our daughter"

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I think I remember that first part being revealed somewhere else, maybe a first line reveal or something. But if so it had faded from my immediate memory. I think the Blood Rites backstory on White Court pregnancies was that they were just very rare. If any particular vampire was actually 100% infertile then the few who aren't would be under more pressure to replenish their numbers after a Dresden-type or intramural monster scrimmage thins them out.

Thomas believes his kind is all but infertile. So might be very rare, might be certain special cases.

And yeah, I remember the first line being revealed, but it's nice to get a little backstory into why it's important. Can't wait for the new book now, and I figure it won't be out until fall at earliest. Grr.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

cbservo posted:

Hint spoiler

Not Looking good for Justine.

Heavy Spoiler

Babby vampire feeds continuously for the term. 50% mortality rate for mother. Vampires are usually infertile, happened anyway. Thomas doesn't know how.
Ugh. Of course, Jim Butcher would.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That doesn't really make sense to me.

Aren't White Court Vampires born normal and actually start feeding as teenagers and can even nullify their vampiric nature entirely? Wasn't that actually a plot point in a previous book? Where is this coming from? It can't be because Thomas was a vampire because his dad was sure shootin'.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't really make sense to me.

Aren't White Court Vampires born normal and actually start feeding as teenagers and can even nullify their vampiric nature entirely? Wasn't that actually a plot point in a previous book? Where is this coming from? It can't be because Thomas was a vampire because his dad was sure shootin'.
Yeah, doesn't Thomas have a ton of sisters? So either Lord Raith kept raping and impregnating his blood slaves in order to produce his offspring or Whamps can more effectively breed "true". In which case, who was the mother of the Raith children? Plus there was that whole thing about Inari not being a full fledged Whamp until after puberty. So has that bit about Whamp physiology been retconned?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Or is it maybe something that is specific to the True Love relationship?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Or Papa Raith was raping enough women that just playing the odds meant he'd have some kids; and we know he made sure they were physically cared for while they were pregnant at least. Which fits with him being a meglomaniac who wants to control a whole thriving family of Whampires. He is still nigh- immortal and having one or two kids a decade fits with that info and what we see of Inari/ etc.

Thomas probably just thought since he's been with Justine for more than a decade and she never got pregnant she never would. And since he spent a lot of time actively avoiding feeding on people he might just have assumed he was completely infertile. Or that he'd have to try with many women to actually get someone pregnant. It's not the dumbest assumption we've seen characters make in the series.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Zore posted:

Or Papa Raith was raping enough women that just playing the odds meant he'd have some kids; and we know he made sure they were physically cared for while they were pregnant at least. Which fits with him being a meglomaniac who wants to control a whole thriving family of Whampires. He is still nigh- immortal and having one or two kids a decade fits with that info and what we see of Inari/ etc.

Thomas probably just thought since he's been with Justine for more than a decade and she never got pregnant she never would. And since he spent a lot of time actively avoiding feeding on people he might just have assumed he was completely infertile. Or that he'd have to try with many women to actually get someone pregnant. It's not the dumbest assumption we've seen characters make in the series.

It still doesn't scan with what we know of Inari, who as a teenager hadn't fed at all, and so still has a chance to escape life as a human through True Love (bleagh).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah, I'd have to read it. None of what I've just read ITT squares with what we learned in Blood Rites about White Court reproduction

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
wasn't justine loving other people as a loophole in the white vamp weakness? I forget most of the sex details but it could be that

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

wasn't justine loving other people as a loophole in the white vamp weakness? I forget most of the sex details but it could be that

Maybe off screen, but from what we've actually seen and heard, only other women.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Avalerion posted:

Maybe off screen, but from what we've actually seen and heard, only other women.
Yeah, I think Justine having sex with other men wouldn't have worked for the whole male fantasy wish fulfillment shtick that is her and Thomas' relationship.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Yeah I think the likely explanation is that papa Raith was exactly that callous and that promiscuous.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Could be that when Thomas says they're all but infertile, it's less "every whamp has a 1% chance of success when doing the sex", and more " 1 out of every 100 whamps are infertile."

Though I'm putting my chips on "magic."
Justine is gonna be pregnant with a Messiah baby.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

the_steve posted:

Could be that when Thomas says they're all but infertile, it's less "every whamp has a 1% chance of success when doing the sex", and more " 1 out of every 100 whamps are infertile."

Though I'm putting my chips on "magic."
Justine is gonna be pregnant with a Messiah baby.

I think this is the most likely explanation. Plus, as said earlier, Thomas has never thought clearly regarding Justine, so he may very likely just be an idiot.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, the comparison was going to be made at some point.

https://twitter.com/DanielRTurner/status/733663301603844096

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The infertile thing I can buy, but the 'it's magically killing her' doesn't make sense to me unless it's an explicit twist which is pretty dumb forced drama.

Oh wait, it's a loving White Court plot, of course it's going to be that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've noticed the first chapters of a lot of dresden books are pretty disconnected from the way the rest of the plot goes.

Remember when there was a fakeout that somebody had restarted the spanish inquisition and was hunting down witches in the name of the lord?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

So it looks like Paul Cornell's latest Shadow Police book got a title change and is out right now in the UK, and next week in the US.

Thanks for the heads up.
Gonna read this tonight at work!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ImpAtom posted:

The infertile thing I can buy, but the 'it's magically killing her' doesn't make sense to me unless it's an explicit twist which is pretty dumb forced drama.

I don't see how this is inconsistent with "the Hunger rears its ugly head in teenagerhood", since it probably lies dormant from birth—kids don't generally develop an interest in sex 'til around puberty, after all.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
Is it frowned upon to pimp our own urban fantasy novels here? I may or may not have a series up on Amazon. :ohdear:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tokidoki posted:

Is it frowned upon to pimp our own urban fantasy novels here? I may or may not have a series up on Amazon. :ohdear:

It's absolutely fine and even encouraged (i've gotten this question a few times) and what I generally tell people is that it's fine but be aware that posting something on SA that can be traced back to your personal real-life identity is always a risk.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
Thank you. Here goes :)

This went up earlier this month and it seems to be doing well. Book 2 is on pre-order for release on May 23. Book 3 will be out in June with books 4 and 5 coming later in the year. It's an urban fantasy, not a paranormal romance, so it's not a story about a female protag banging all the guys or anything. The story is set in Las Vegas. I'd rate it PG-13 for language.

http://amzn.to/1XpppkS

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is on sale for .99 cents through May 25th, then it goes to $2.99.

tokidoki fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 22, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's a shame you don't have audiobooks, it's how I do all my reading these days - lots of 5 star reviews, must be good.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Aerdan posted:

I don't see how this is inconsistent with "the Hunger rears its ugly head in teenagerhood", since it probably lies dormant from birth—kids don't generally develop an interest in sex 'til around puberty, after all.
Eh, it's been forever ago but I got the impression that Inari didn't feed (meaning not just being a succubus, but also consuming life energy period) at all, period, before her first time with her True Love (or a dude she was in love, true, with) hence her being able to get away with being a human rather than a Whamp.

Physiologically speaking, it doesn't make much sense for a biological function to be turned on during infancy, turned off during childhood and preadolecense, and then turned back on during puberty. Really, this feels like a retcon meant to cram in drama (and yeah, this plot point was already pretty dumb when Twilight did it.

tokidoki posted:

Thank you. Here goes :)

This went up earlier this month and it seems to be doing well. Book 2 is on pre-order for release on May 23. Book 3 will be out in June with books 4 and 5 coming later in the year. It's an urban fantasy, not a paranormal romance, so it's not a story about a female protag banging all the guys or anything. The story is set in Las Vegas. I'd rate it PG-13 for language.

http://amzn.to/1XpppkS

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is on sale for .99 cents through May 25th, then it goes to $2.99.

So, what's it about? Judging by the cover it looks like paranormal romance. And did someone photoshop the cleavage to make it look deeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

tithin posted:

It's a shame you don't have audiobooks, it's how I do all my reading these days - lots of 5 star reviews, must be good.

Thanks, I intend to get an audiobook done. This just came out May 13th, so I was waiting to see if people were enjoying it or not.

Mars4523 posted:

So, what's it about? Judging by the cover it looks like paranormal romance. And did someone photoshop the cleavage to make it look deeper?

I don't know about the cleavage. I didn't ask for it.

Here's the blurb:

Beneath the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas lies another city. A secret city in plain sight, full of warlocks and demons, shapeshifters and golems. A city that feeds off the chance magick that is generated by gamblers and which is ruled by mysterious beings called the Oddsmakers.

It is in this strange underbelly of the occult that Anne Moody runs a cursed pawn shop for the desperate, the curious, and the magickally inclined. Though the job is tricky, it keeps her under the radar. None of her customers have any inkling that she is a dragon sorceress with a power that's been feared throughout history. However dragons are no help when a stone statue ends up in her shop that is more than it appears. The statue is a gargoyle named Vale, who is shrouded in mystery and secrets. When she learns that Vale is possessed, and that the person responsible for cursing him plans to take over Las Vegas with a horde of demons from Hell, Anne realizes it is up to her to defy the Oddsmakers and save the city, and possibly the world.