Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do people even like clearly defined good and evil anymore? Is that even a trope in anything popular anymore? Even in kid's media?

Pretty common in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Blockbuster films in general still have a lot of success with that formula. You get the occasional "grey" character, like the renegade who ultimately sides with the establishment or the villain who comes to see the error of his/her ways, but those have always been part of the black-and-white dichotomy.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do people even like clearly defined good and evil anymore? Is that even a trope in anything popular anymore? Even in kid's media?

Star Wars is the most obvious example.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toady posted:

I think people are underestimating this film. If the marketing is effective and the film isn't bogged down by convoluted lore, it has the potential to be a successful family-friendly fantasy with bright colors and clearly defined good and evil.

Isn't the whole point of the movie that evil and good isn't clearly defined?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Isn't the whole point of the movie that evil and good isn't clearly defined?

I haven't seen the movie. If it's accurate to the game's storyline, the invading orcs are the possessed minions of demons led by Lucifer.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
From what I've seen, either peace is necessary for either side to survive, or there is a common threat that both need to band together to fight while there's still time.

In WoW, the common threats are always so overwhelming that it seems silly that the Horde and Alliance can manage to find time to fight each other.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Holyshoot posted:

I wonder how many goons are going to over analyze the poo poo out of an action/fantasy movie treating it like A beautiful mind or the matrix with poo poo like this.

Probably just as many goons who are going to make dumb posts like this

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wheeee posted:

I wonder how many careers this is going to kill

Nothing can kill Clancy Browns career.

NOTHING

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Probably just as many goons who are going to make dumb posts like this

So a bunch then. Got it!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nothing can kill Clancy Browns career.

NOTHING

Would you say his career is...immortal?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sorta, in that "grimdark" is pretty much a generic insult at this point

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toady posted:

I haven't seen the movie. If it's accurate to the game's storyline, the invading orcs are the possessed minions of demons led by Lucifer.

Yeah but the humans and orcs themselves (the focus of the movie) are almost entirely moral shades of grey.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Batham posted:

It looks A BIT better. :colbert:

I would just like to draw attention to how bad their pants are.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but the humans and orcs themselves (the focus of the movie) are almost entirely moral shades of grey.

Han Solo may have questionable morals, but he's not evil. Good and evil in Warcraft are defined like the Force. Fear and doubt corrupt Lucifer and cause him to lose faith in an ordered universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My friend went to a free screening at Universal yesterday and said it was terrible. He didn't offer up much more than that. Though this friend also tends to not like most things so take that with a grain of salt.

90 percent of media is bad so your friend is probably p smart.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Toady posted:

Han Solo may have questionable morals, but he's not evil. Good and evil in Warcraft are defined like the Force. Fear and doubt corrupt Lucifer and cause him to lose faith in an ordered universe.

If this movie proves successful things will get much more complex. The plot of Warcraft II has SIGNIFICANT shades of grey going on at all levels of the Orc's side of the story, and they've only been enhanced by a few retcons made by WC3 and WoW. The line between Questionable Morals and Evil will blur a lot.

This movie does seem to take a more Star Warsian approach though, which is appropriate for Warcraft 1 because it WAS a much more simple story.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So IMDB says this movie is already out in Kuwait.

No Kuwaiti reviews?

e: Holy poo poo I just checked the opening week showtimes at my local and they're barely even bothering to show it. Not a single showing in either of the two fancier screens, one 3D screening and one 2D screening per day. That's pathetic even if they failed to build the required hype.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 22, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sanguinia posted:

If this movie proves successful things will get much more complex. The plot of Warcraft II has SIGNIFICANT shades of grey going on at all levels of the Orc's side of the story, and they've only been enhanced by a few retcons made by WC3 and WoW. The line between Questionable Morals and Evil will blur a lot.

This movie does seem to take a more Star Warsian approach though, which is appropriate for Warcraft 1 because it WAS a much more simple story.

what the gently caress

no, nothing about warcraft was 'enhanced' by 'a few retcons', particularly the stuff that came out post-WC3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao if you think anything blizzard retcons in any of their franchises has improved them. just loving lmao.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Is there a particular reason you're choosing to add a positive connotation to "enhance?" Would you have preferred "intensified?" I just meant "were made more than they were previously," cool your loving jets.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Any implication that a decision made by Blizzard since 2004 was good will be met with frothing, beautiful rage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

falsehood tends to do that to people.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve2911 posted:

So IMDB says this movie is already out in Kuwait.

No Kuwaiti reviews?

e: Holy poo poo I just checked the opening week showtimes at my local and they're barely even bothering to show it. Not a single showing in either of the two fancier screens, one 3D screening and one 2D screening per day. That's pathetic even if they failed to build the required hype.

Where's your local?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

It will not be successful, so there's no need to worry about that.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's great how most other pre-release movie threads are serious discussion or at least speculation and this one is mostly roasting the movie because everyone knows it will suck. I'm not even being sarcastic

Corek fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2016

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
It's bound to do decent at the box office atleast here in Sweden. It's pretty well booked for a movie with almost no marketing here, and WOW isn't that big of a deal here anymore. Three of the largest cinemas in scandinavia are here in Stockholm and are almost full on opening night showings and for most of the weekend.

It's got atleast 40 times more ticket reservations than that new Alice movie on opening weekend, and they open on the same week. Alice on the 25th, Warcraft on friday 27th.

Alice has 6 reserved seats for friday @ rigoletto in Stockholm. Six.

Warcraft has 400+ on all the major screens, a week in advance; Imax is almost full for the entire weekend, with a marginal dropoff on sunday night. Sure its not starwars that sold out like 24 hours after the tickets were released almost two months in advance but thats to be expected.

Even small town theatres seem to have it pretty well booked, a friend in Norrköping couldn't get tickets for opening night.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 22, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
Honestly, I'll be happy if this is as weird as Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, but with less of an attempt to also be a generic Armageddon-era American action film.

(And to be honest, that at least technically gave us a Final Fantasy character on the cover of Maxim :haw:)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sanguinia posted:

Is there a particular reason you're choosing to add a positive connotation to "enhance?" Would you have preferred "intensified?" I just meant "were made more than they were previously," cool your loving jets.

generally if you enhance something it's a good thing. that's what words mean.

"intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Milky Moor posted:

generally if you enhance something it's a good thing. that's what words mean.

"intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of."

Yeah. Increase the extent of. Please don't imply that a personal connotation has anything to do with objective meaning, it makes English teachers cry.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah. Increase the extent of. Please don't imply that a personal connotation has anything to do with objective meaning, it makes English teachers cry.

Oh I see prescriptivism won, when did that happen?

Usage defines meaning.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Enhanced is the advanced medical terminology for "made incredibly huge."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh I see prescriptivism won, when did that happen?

Usage defines meaning.

In this case, "enhanced" referred to the "shades of grey" between the Orcs and humans of Azeroth, the World of Warcraft. That aspect was in fact "enhanced," regardless of your opinion of the overall quality of the writing involved.

There is a positive connotation to the word "enhanced," but generally undesirable qualities can be enhanced.

"Godzilla's destructive capacity is enhanced by his fiery breath."

"My ability to waste time on the somethingawful.com message board is enhanced by the fact that goons are argumentative jerks."

"The lethality of snake venom may be enhanced in cases where it provokes a strong allergic response in addition to its other effects."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I understand what ur saying and I don't necessarily disagree but it just looks like you used the wrong word in all those sentences haha

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Corek posted:

It's great how most other pre-release movie threads are serious discussion or at least speculation and this one is mostly roasting the movie because everyone knows it will suck. I'm not even being sarcastic

Because hating on WoW and blizzard is easy. :shrug: Haters gonna hate. Can't wait for this bad movie to make over 500m and have 2 more made in its wake. You can quote this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I loved WoW when I played it and I generally like Blizzard a lot, dude. I was the guy who was saying "Warcraft has Duncan Jones, it's gonna be awesome!" to all of my friends making fun of "the WoW movie."

But then they released the trailers and clips, and it looks like garbage. I can't speak for overseas numbers, but the movie is not going to make any money in the US.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GonSmithe posted:

"Warcraft has Duncan Jones, it's gonna be awesome!"

Still true.

Even if it's poo poo.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

I loved WoW when I played it and I generally like Blizzard a lot, dude. I was the guy who was saying "Warcraft has Duncan Jones, it's gonna be awesome!" to all of my friends making fun of "the WoW movie."

But then they released the trailers and clips, and it looks like garbage. I can't speak for overseas numbers, but the movie is not going to make any money in the US.

Haven't there been movies with lovely marketing and trailers and were still good? Granted I agree that Garona looks loving awful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just seen this and it sucked.

It was also boring.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've just seen this and it sucked.

It was also boring.

Please tell us everything that happens, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Please tell us everything that happens, thanks in advance.

A bunch of cartoon characters I didn't care about bashed against each other in tacky plastic costumes and then the credits rolled with nothing resolved.

Also everyone is like, 30 at the oldest which makes things really weird when people have adult kids. Do people stop aging in Warcraft?

• Locked thread